The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Digital release of DOS EE next tuesday

Greypilgrim
Bree

Oct 16 2014, 3:06pm

Post #1 of 21 (1011 views)
Shortcut
Digital release of DOS EE next tuesday Can't Post

I've been looking on itunes at this and unlike last year there don't appear to be any itunes extras attached to the download of the EE. Last year they included basically the entire appendices for the AUJ EE like you would get on the extra 2 discs with the DVD set. Nothing like that appears at this point. Do you think they might alter the content before it becomes downloadable or are they simply not including it this time? If so that's pretty rubbish because its the same price as last year. Meh!

Fleuz
Lorien

Oct 16 2014, 3:30pm

Post #2 of 21 (619 views)
Shortcut
In the german iTunes Store [In reply to] Can't Post

it's not even listed. I think over the weekend or shortly after they will update the content.
I'm pretty sure the extras are included, like last year. At least I hope so...

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 16 2014, 5:22pm

Post #3 of 21 (519 views)
Shortcut
Why??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Why would they release a digital version before the hard copy ones? Is it (another) way of making as much money as possible out of the film?

Surely all versions/formats should be released together?

KeenObserver
Lorien

Oct 16 2014, 5:38pm

Post #4 of 21 (487 views)
Shortcut
Surely! [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'd rather lay my eyes on it sooner than later.Wink

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Oct 16 2014, 5:41pm)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Oct 16 2014, 6:25pm

Post #5 of 21 (459 views)
Shortcut
They want to kill physical media. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think studios in general just want to make the switch to completely digital releases, and this is their way of starting that. I think the digital download of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is coming out almost a full month ahead of the blu-ray release. I'm not a big fan of the way things are heading...

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 16 2014, 7:35pm

Post #6 of 21 (434 views)
Shortcut
This is becoming a standard practice for WB... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been noticing this trend for a while now. It has become stardard practice for Warner Bros. to make the DC Universe animated movies available in digital formats a couple of weeks prior to the physical release.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 16 2014, 10:31pm

Post #7 of 21 (373 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

If these companies will only produce films in digital form, I won't be buying them – so they will lose at least one customer.

Thank goodness I'll manage to complete the EEs for The Hobbit (and get a decent Blu-ray DVD for GoTG!) before they switch entirely to digital releases. Smile

delius82
Rivendell

Oct 17 2014, 1:43am

Post #8 of 21 (362 views)
Shortcut
Does this include release... [In reply to] Can't Post

...on Amazon Prime?

smtfhw
Lorien

Oct 17 2014, 8:49am

Post #9 of 21 (319 views)
Shortcut
Maybe... [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe it;s because as I recall they made a bit of a muck-up of the files last time round...

leonmuse
Rivendell

Oct 17 2014, 8:28pm

Post #10 of 21 (266 views)
Shortcut
Any chance it could be... [In reply to] Can't Post

like lasr year?

All the extended bits online to watch without having to watch the whole movie?

I'm asking because i don't own a pc, i'm posting through a phone, to tell the truth. If not, i'll have to see images only :(

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Oct 18 2014, 7:33pm

Post #11 of 21 (227 views)
Shortcut
Because the studios want you to stream. [In reply to] Can't Post

Because of money of course.

There was a good article in The Digital Bits on the subject recently. It seems the future of physical media isn't very promising.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Oct 18 2014, 7:35pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 18 2014, 11:27pm

Post #12 of 21 (210 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

As I said, I'll go without in that case.

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 18 2014, 11:59pm

Post #13 of 21 (209 views)
Shortcut
That was a disturbing article [In reply to] Can't Post

Re the layoffs etc. of people who built the industry. But I knew about studios wanting everyone to stream everything - to save THEM money.

Except I don't want to - I don't want to have to depend on some "cloud" or whatever when I want to watch a film. I don't need to register and have an account and all the spam that comes with it - it's intrusive, undependable, requires too much IT thinking and managing and passwords and all that; and as technology marches on, there will be a way to save a movie off to some media and play where I don't have to deal with this "streaming" nonsense even if it's burning your own disks and backups. Buying a product is one thing, having multiple companies constantly worming their way into my system re "streaming accounts" and having to depend on that is another as well as the spyware issues etc.Mad

And this ultraviolet stuff - like I really am going to watch a movie on my phone.Unsure

IMO it's this kind of irritation that adds to folks using pirated files too, because people who normally wouldn't get mad.

Cirashala
Valinor

Oct 19 2014, 2:48am

Post #14 of 21 (205 views)
Shortcut
is it possible to pre-order on itunes? [In reply to] Can't Post

Because I'm not yet seeing it available for pre-order on there (I'm in the US).

It already sucks big time that I have to purchase the hard copy at Walmart of all places Mad

I don't have a blu-ray player, nor do I have a tv compatible with it, because ya know- those things cost money, and I count pennies in my budget (literally- we're a single income family and hubby only makes $33k a year). And I don't use credit cards.

So apparently the only way I'm going to get the hard copy regular (not blu-ray) dvd version of DOS EE is if I trudge down to Walmart...perfect Crazy

So I'm really hoping that the digital will at least be available on itunes- in case another company ends up selling the hard copy regular dvd ensemble in a month or two....

KingTurgon
Rohan

Oct 19 2014, 3:57am

Post #15 of 21 (202 views)
Shortcut
The DVD [In reply to] Can't Post

Will be available at places other than Walmart, it's just that Walmart got first dibs for a few months (till spring I think).

Cirashala
Valinor

Oct 19 2014, 4:11am

Post #16 of 21 (197 views)
Shortcut
Oh good! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad to hear that.

Now if only I can find out if the digital download will be available on itunes in the US....

Why do they have to make so many things country specific!!!!! Crazy

KingTurgon
Rohan

Oct 19 2014, 1:15pm

Post #17 of 21 (178 views)
Shortcut
Itunes can be a bit [In reply to] Can't Post

Slow with the preorder stuff, idk why. Most likely the EE will be available on there though.

Greypilgrim
Bree

Oct 19 2014, 1:59pm

Post #18 of 21 (175 views)
Shortcut
It's available for pre-order in the UK itunes store [In reply to] Can't Post

It has been for quite a while and yesterday they just updated it with the itunes extras including both sets of appendices. I hope it becomes available for you soon!

Bard'sBlackArrow
Lorien

Oct 19 2014, 4:22pm

Post #19 of 21 (165 views)
Shortcut
indeed very slow [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Slow with the preorder stuff, idk why. Most likely the EE will be available on there though.

Tell me about it. They did not have the pre-order for Stretch up until 3 days before the film was due for release.

DoS EE is still not up on US iTunes. I suspect it will appear late tomorrow.

Folks make good arguments about digital, I still double dip and buy dvds/blu rays if I know I will watch the film multiple times, BUT the WB switcheroo to Ultra Violet bums me out and may force me to double dip on a few future releases.

... on the other side of tomorrow...

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Oct 19 2014, 6:07pm

Post #20 of 21 (157 views)
Shortcut
This whole walmart/dvd thing is just mind-boggling. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's simply the most anti-consumerist b.s. i've ever heard of, and if i thought i couldn't hate walmart any more, i was very wrong (and it seems that WB isn't much better). If you take into consideration all the stuff that walmart does that's just plain anti-consumer, anti-employee, anti-American, anti-everyone and everything, i honestly can't understand why anyone would shop there, let alone contribute to them being the most profitable entity on the planet. I guess people truly don't give a ****, and will do anything to save a few cents.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Oct 19 2014, 6:18pm

Post #21 of 21 (153 views)
Shortcut
I know. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's sad. I mean, i like streaming as much as the next person, but to make that the entire focus at the expense of everything else is short-sighted and just plain dumb. People like myself are always going to want to have the best version available to put up on the shelf, with all the behind the scenes documentaries and commentaries and booklets. Thank the lord there are companies like Critereon Collection, Shout! Factory, BFI and Kino/Lorber still out there, doing the good work-- i buy from them as much as possible.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.