Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Will you be disappointed if you don't cry at the end of BOTFA?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Will you be disappointed if you don't cry at the end of BOTFA?
Yes
No
Why would I cry?
View Results (47 votes)

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Oct 16 2014, 1:08pm

Post #1 of 41 (806 views)
Shortcut
Will you be disappointed if you don't cry at the end of BOTFA? Can't Post

This question is in the context of certain dramatic turns at the end of the story, not whether or not you are pleased with the movie as a whole. Wink

Those of us who know what's coming claim to dread it but, secretly, don't we all love a good cry at the movies? So ironically, for myself, if I don't cry, I will feel disappointed because, on the surface, it seems to suggest that I haven't really connected with PJ's telling. And because I cried at the end of ROTK and feel I should again at the finish of The Hobbit. :-)

But sometimes it's just due to anticipation. It's possible to raise your expectations so high, you make it impossible to be impressed with what you know is coming. I've seen several greatly hyped movies that left me feeling let down and I don't think it was necessarily because it wasn't all it was claimed to be.

Am I overthinking this? Probably. But what does everyone feel anyway? Cool

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 16 2014, 1:28pm

Post #2 of 41 (586 views)
Shortcut
I rarely cry because of a movie. [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially not when I kind of know what and how it will happen.

It is more the movies that surprise me with a sad twist that get me teary... although I don't think I ever really broke out in tears. Maybe watery eyes.

I would be disappointed, though, if it wouldn't feel very emotional and moving.

I hope for an ending that is very emotional and rewarding... that will make me feel "Yes, even with all the flaws I see in these movies - it was worth it and in the end it all came together and is well".

(This post was edited by Arannir on Oct 16 2014, 1:30pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 16 2014, 1:35pm

Post #3 of 41 (579 views)
Shortcut
What he said [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm an Estonian after all: cold and emotionless. Tongue

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 16 2014, 1:39pm

Post #4 of 41 (576 views)
Shortcut
:D [In reply to] Can't Post

That is what my American roommate said to be when I told her I loved Titanic as a movie but that it was inconceivable for me to cry when Jack dies: "Germans..."

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Oct 16 2014, 1:42pm

Post #5 of 41 (576 views)
Shortcut
I never ever cry at movies [In reply to] Can't Post

my friends even tease me and call me "heart of stone" or something like that.
You name it, I have never cried about it.

But there is a big exception to this rule: the Return of the King. I cried a whole hour, starting with Frodo failing to remember the taste of strawberries while he was ascending Mount Doom.
I even cried while finishing the book (another unheard-of thing for me).

Since witnessing the deaths of all the Durins will be a hard blow for everyone on these boards, I imagine I will have to discreetly tuck in my pocket a small amount of tissues...
Just in case, you knowWinkWink

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Oct 16 2014, 3:11pm

Post #6 of 41 (557 views)
Shortcut
cold & emotionless? Baloney BlackFox !! // [In reply to] Can't Post

I have lottsa English/Welsh blood. I cry lots - but not in front of anyone!! Shocked

(This post was edited by Bracegirdle on Oct 16 2014, 3:13pm)

Annael
Immortal

Oct 16 2014, 3:37pm

Post #7 of 41 (569 views)
Shortcut
that's not the question. [In reply to] Can't Post

The question is "will I be as disappointed with BotFA as I have been with the first two Hobbit movies?"

I'll go see it, but my expectations are not high.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Oct 16 2014, 4:36pm

Post #8 of 41 (556 views)
Shortcut
Of course you will Annael [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"will I be as disappointed with BotFA as I have been with the first two Hobbit movies?"

As I'm assuming you read the book many times before the movies came out and your mind's eye had its imaginings of the people, places, and events, and Jackson's interpretations just don't always mesh.

OT How about LOTR?

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Oct 16 2014, 4:51pm

Post #9 of 41 (548 views)
Shortcut
I am Italian and I did not cry [In reply to] Can't Post

WinkWinkWink

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 16 2014, 5:09pm

Post #10 of 41 (541 views)
Shortcut
Alas! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the truth. The little spark I have in me I use up on these boards, leaving none for the real me. FrownLaughTongue

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Oct 16 2014, 5:58pm

Post #11 of 41 (531 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm.. [In reply to] Can't Post

*sheds a tear for the both of us* Heart Nobody's looking! CoolCool

But let me know in 50 years if you still consider yourself "cold and emotionless". Perhaps it's age that gives us excessive sensitivity.

But, alas! I shall be West of the Moon by then. Unsure

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 16 2014, 6:03pm

Post #12 of 41 (538 views)
Shortcut
I have another flaw [In reply to] Can't Post

A tendency to exaggerate. Tongue

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Oct 16 2014, 6:05pm

Post #13 of 41 (554 views)
Shortcut
We should go together. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not even The Little Eruvandes are very excited about the last installment. Heck, we haven't even bought DOS on dvd, extended or otherwise. I'm not sure we ever will.

We'll go see it, of course, but I expect my main reaction will be to cringe. FrownUnimpressed

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Oct 16 2014, 6:06pm

Post #14 of 41 (537 views)
Shortcut
I was really disappointed that I didn't cry at the end of RotK [In reply to] Can't Post

Really, really disappointed. I always cry when I read the books. And I cry at the freaking cartoon when Frodo sails. I was expecting to melt into a puddle, and I didn't. (I cried other places in the movie; the beacon scene, for example.)

But I haven't been emotionally engaged with the Hobbit movies, except for the lovely "Good morning" scene. So frankly I'll be a little surprised if I cry. But it could happen.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 16 2014, 6:33pm

Post #15 of 41 (528 views)
Shortcut
I don't remember if I cried at The Grey Havens scene, [In reply to] Can't Post

but I did blub at the charge of the Rohirrim. Go figure.

I hope the forgiveness of Thorin is so heartbreaking that my eyes get a bit sweaty, but I won't be disappointed if I'm dry-eyed as long as the scene is still superb.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Oct 16 2014, 7:43pm

Post #16 of 41 (520 views)
Shortcut
We haven't bought DOS either. [In reply to] Can't Post

I did buy AUJ, and started to watch it, and got bored once we left Bag End and gave it up. I saw both of them in the theater once, and that seemed like enough.

Meneldor
Valinor

Oct 16 2014, 7:54pm

Post #17 of 41 (510 views)
Shortcut
No. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am man. Hear me grunt.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 16 2014, 7:56pm

Post #18 of 41 (520 views)
Shortcut
The movie shouldn't end on a sad note. [In reply to] Can't Post

Now the immediate fall-out from the titular battle, that would be different.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Oct 16 2014, 7:57pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 16 2014, 8:02pm

Post #19 of 41 (522 views)
Shortcut
I rented AUJ TE from Netflix [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't watched DOS TE since seeing it in the theater. I haven't seen either EE versions. I don't own any of the four.

I did buy the soundtracks.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Oct 16 2014, 8:15pm

Post #20 of 41 (506 views)
Shortcut
I didn't [In reply to] Can't Post

“blub” at the charge of the Rohirrim – but I DID jump out of my chair screaming “GO Theoden! Go!” One of my very all time favorite book passages.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 16 2014, 8:31pm

Post #21 of 41 (508 views)
Shortcut
I can't imagine not crying (Spoiler) [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I know what's coming, and I'm not looking forward to it. Truth is, I didn't like the book too much because of that particular event, not so much Thorin as the other two. I am hoping that the last scene in the movie will be Gandalf and Balin paying Bilbo a visit, and I WILL be disappointed if that doesn't happen. However, I also expect to see lovely drawings of the characters as the credits roll, and when a certain three faces come up I'll probably start crying again.Unsure

I DID cry at the end of RoTK, both the ship sailing "Into the West" and the artwork were very emotional. Another sad reason is that this will probably be the LAST trip to Middle Earth, at least with PJ. And the fact that I won't be seeing the final movie in Wellington like I'd hoped is also sad, but that's another story altogether/sniff!

Donry
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2014, 9:39pm

Post #22 of 41 (501 views)
Shortcut
No. [In reply to] Can't Post

Won't bother me at all. If it is a bad movie, that will bother me.

Annael
Immortal

Oct 16 2014, 9:56pm

Post #23 of 41 (510 views)
Shortcut
actually [In reply to] Can't Post

I was never much of a "Hobbit" fan, like I was a LOTR fan.

I just feel that PJ indulges his love of making a mountain out of every tiny molehill in the story too much - and more with each film he makes - so that the original story is nearly buried or changed out of recognition. I loved FOTR the most. Although, as you note, I had to adjust to those things that weren't as I had always imagined them, still enough of it was recognizable - Bilbo, Gandalf, Galadriel, Rivendell, Hobbiton especially - for me to enjoy the story. And really, apart from compressing the timeline, PJ didn't stray too far from Tolkien on that one. Then came TTT and the Wargs - giant hyenas instead of wolves, with riders? Uh, no. Aragorn's fake death was unnecessary, as was Faramir's detour into not-so-upright-Faramir. But still, not too far off track.

Then we got ROTK with Flaming Denethor, rolling skulls, the Scrubbing Bubbles of Death, the Giant Pink Orc, and Killer Oliphaunts - NONE of which added a thing to the movie. But once again, not enough to make me hate it, and he got a lot of things right.

Ten years go by, we get the first Hobbit film - and there's been a corresponding growth in the "I'm going to make as many things as I can as extreme as I can, and if I can't find something in the story to blow up way out of proportion, I will just make stuff up" attitude.

He's gone the way of Lucas and Spielberg. All of them need to hire really good scriptwriters and editors and LISTEN TO THEM, instead of this rampant self-indulgence. But as long as people still flock to their movies, I doubt that will happen.

Dwarewien
Rohan

Oct 16 2014, 10:10pm

Post #24 of 41 (496 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

since even thinking about what will happen to Thorin makes me tear up (seriously). Even that scene near the end of AUJ makes me cry (every single time, even though I know that Thorin isn't really dead. Every time I see that scene, I want to go into the movie at that point and hit Azog in the face with his own weapon. I'm also rooting for Bilbo to do something), so I can just imagine what BoFA will do. The last movie that made me cry (that I viewed in theaters) was Titanic (and not because of an individual character, but I cried when the Titanic went down, since I've been an ocean aficionado ever since).Unsure

joec_34
Rivendell

Oct 16 2014, 10:57pm

Post #25 of 41 (488 views)
Shortcut
Meet The Parents [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't cry very often, but I did cry the first to.e that I saw Meet The Parents. I guess I just felt bad for Ben Stiller at the (almost) end. Funny memory.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.