Why there's nothing about Saruman?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Oct 15 2014, 8:00am

Post #26 of 36 (236 views)
Shortcut
Maybe not the best decision though. [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember hearing a lot of confused and frustrated casual audience members at the time asking why Saruman's storyline basically disappeared in the third movie. But of course if it had been included in the theatrical cut, there could have been just as many people complaining about the beginning of the movie dragging on too long.

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 15 2014, 8:53am

Post #27 of 36 (234 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure why there would be at this stage.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... any more than Elrond, or Radagast. Or the other dwarves, for that matter - or Beorn.

The images we're seeing are surely chosen for their visual/ crowd pulling appeal. The audience that would know and recognise Saruman from LotR will feel more ambivalent about him because they know what he will become. There's also the practical issue of Christopher Lee's age. He is amazing, but a very close up still for a character poster would need a lot of photoshopping, and people tend to complain about that. They haven't done much in the way of more wide shot images, and if they did, Dol Guldur is something we know so little about that they may not want to give too much away at this stage.

It's what he does in the film that counts.

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 15 2014, 9:18am

Post #28 of 36 (249 views)
Shortcut
A little bird told me... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it's too early to leave Saruman out of the account. ;)

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

erdildeniz
Rivendell

Oct 15 2014, 10:18am

Post #29 of 36 (217 views)
Shortcut
I knew that!!!!!! please!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Please give more information about what did that little bird sayed.. did he just sayed this?

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 15 2014, 10:59am

Post #30 of 36 (209 views)
Shortcut
No... [In reply to] Can't Post

...there is a bit more to what the little bird said. :)

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

KingTurgon
Rohan

Oct 15 2014, 4:18pm

Post #31 of 36 (158 views)
Shortcut
On the Lego set [In reply to] Can't Post

Lego has a pretty specific way of releasing things (I am a pretty big fan of Legos myself) - there was already an inexpensive set with Saruman in it, whereas Elrond and Galadriel had not yet been in any sets. I don't think that's any indication of his role.

Cillendor
Lorien

Oct 15 2014, 4:36pm

Post #32 of 36 (155 views)
Shortcut
I hope you're right. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I also want to see Galadriel involved more than simply overthrowing the fortress. What I don't want to see is any hint of Saruman turning evil. At this point, the Ring is presumed lost forever. Saruman's insistence that Sauron is defeated just got proven wrong, so he is angry. He motivation is pure.

I don't care if Galadriel is the second most important character here. She is the oldest Elf in Middle-earth (save Círdan, who isn't actively involved). The daughter of her mentor overpowered Sauron with ease, and that was before he'd invested so much of himself into the Ring. So she ought to be able to take him on. But blow-for-blow, Saruman ought to be the victor.

I want to see a face-off between Saruman the White and Sauron the Black. I want it to look very similar to Gandalf's fight, and I want Saruman to prevail where Gandalf failed. I want some intense close-up shots of his face as he grimaces in rage and power. I want Sauron's vapor to collapse in a blinding flash and a rush of wind reminiscent of his defeat in ROTK. There should be some allusion to him fleeing east, but hopefully no mention of Mordor just yet.

At this point, Saruman should collapse to his knees in exhaustion. Gandalf and/or Radagast should help prop him up and carry him off, and Galadriel should then bring down the fortress.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Oct 15 2014, 7:07pm

Post #33 of 36 (146 views)
Shortcut
Not in the books mind you. [In reply to] Can't Post

Saruman had gone rotten a good while before TH

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Oct 15 2014, 9:43pm

Post #34 of 36 (133 views)
Shortcut
Yes, but who knew? [In reply to] Can't Post

It would seriously weaken the trilogy to show Saruman as actually corrupted before FotR. It makes Gandalf look like a fool, and destroys the dramatic impact of the scene when Saruman turns on him.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Oct 15 2014, 9:59pm

Post #35 of 36 (128 views)
Shortcut
As in the books - the audience. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't see that the audience knowing or having the question raised makes Gandalf look stupid. If we see something he does not, I can't see any particular issue.

As to destroying the betrayal scene, I can't recall feeling that when reading the book. It is also played (just as in the text) with the audience offered a rather cold and unlikable "goody" who reveals his treachery in under a minute of meeting him. It's not as if the audience is encouraged to believe him good throughout FOTR before a surprising reveal.

More generally, and moving a little off topic, I would say I have always been pleasantly surprised at how immune to denigration Gandalf's character is. I often see posts worrying that this or that will make him seem weak or stupid, yet have never encountered anyone that actually thinks so. Besides, if he can be let off the charge of stupidity after knowing Bilbo's ring was one of 19 great rings and not putting the pieces together for decades, I can't see this so much as grazing him!

(This post was edited by Spriggan on Oct 15 2014, 10:01pm)

KingTurgon
Rohan

Oct 16 2014, 4:46am

Post #36 of 36 (119 views)
Shortcut
Define bird [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you mean raven, or eagle...Tongue

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.