Four years ago today, The Hobbit got the "Green light"
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

The Grey Pilgrim
Lorien

Oct 15 2014, 4:33pm

Post #1 of 30 (889 views)
Shortcut
Four years ago today, The Hobbit got the "Green light" Can't Post

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2010/10/15/39119-the-hobbit-finally-gets-the-green-light/

"It's been four years to the day"

Starting to get emotional! Insane how far we've come and now that I've remembered the date all these posters going out today seem rather fitting

Cheers!Smile

(This post was edited by The Grey Pilgrim on Oct 15 2014, 4:33pm)

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Oct 15 2014, 4:36pm

Post #2 of 30 (594 views)
Shortcut
TORNīs FB page is getting weird, could this mean? [In reply to] Can't Post

That the trailer is coming REALLY soon? or a new videoblog?

They have putted an emotional weird, without reason post about 15 minutes ago

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

The Grey Pilgrim
Lorien

Oct 15 2014, 4:38pm

Post #3 of 30 (566 views)
Shortcut
That's what I've been thinking... [In reply to] Can't Post

The deletion of the Bilbo poster, the sudden emotional outpour, the floodgates opening on posters/banners. It HAS to be soon!

Fingers crossed!

Farficom
Rivendell

Oct 15 2014, 4:54pm

Post #4 of 30 (541 views)
Shortcut
Something is certainly up. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I think we shall see exactly what that is very soon.

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 15 2014, 5:43pm

Post #5 of 30 (448 views)
Shortcut
Lovely that you marked THIS day - and the world would change [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been thinking back a lot! What a journey for the fans, for PJ & co., and the actors - just love it was all to share in the Appendices HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

It's all been so very special.HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart. And I'll never forget the scene of AUJ and my first sight of Bilbo enjoying the sun, the iconic Gandalf saying the iconic "what do you mean" line - I still smile, every time. And the world falls away and I am in Middle Earth! HeartHeartHeart

haarp
Rivendell

Oct 15 2014, 5:43pm

Post #6 of 30 (461 views)
Shortcut
66 [In reply to] Can't Post

4 years ago i was excited, now i realize PJ ruined the films. i want my 4 years back

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 15 2014, 5:57pm

Post #7 of 30 (437 views)
Shortcut
I want a super extra deluxe version of these films... [In reply to] Can't Post

as in EXTRA long, in fact I think PJ should do more pickups so we can have more footage. I don't want it to end.....HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 15 2014, 6:27pm

Post #8 of 30 (405 views)
Shortcut
So do I and me neither.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In that order! Wink

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 15 2014, 6:28pm

Post #9 of 30 (432 views)
Shortcut
Oh my goodness, the never-lit green light.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember it well! Such a long journey it's been, and for Peter Jackson and co most of all.

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 15 2014, 6:46pm

Post #10 of 30 (390 views)
Shortcut
I still watch the AUJ trailers now and again [In reply to] Can't Post

It just evokes the feeling, a bit, of seeing it all for the first time, hearing Gandalf whimsically naming all the dwarves, hearing the first of the song, hearing Bilbo cry "I'm going on an adventure!", hearing Thorin's magnificent voice-over "I would take each and every one of these dwarves over the mightiest army. Loyalty. Honor. A willing heart - I can ask no more than that."

*Sigh* HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 15 2014, 8:43pm

Post #11 of 30 (338 views)
Shortcut
Oddly enough ... [In reply to] Can't Post

This brought back memories of the green-light thread, which you started, dormouse. I was a lurker then. It is fun to re-read it. Cool

All the excitement (and uncertainty)!

What a fun-filled 4 years it has been since then. It is sad it is almost over.

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Oct 15 2014, 9:07pm

Post #12 of 30 (325 views)
Shortcut
no [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
4 years ago i was excited, now i realize PJ ruined the films. i want my 4 years back

He didnt ruin them,he made his own version of it.
Some things may worth discussing but at the end of the day he produced some really enjoyable stuff and, which is even more important, brought us back to Middle-Earth. I am very grateful for that and wont think about this all comes to an end...

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 15 2014, 10:21pm

Post #13 of 30 (296 views)
Shortcut
Hard to imagine you ever being a lurker Daniel.... ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

You seem to be part of the fabric (I think the avatar has something to do with that! Wink )

And yes, it is sad. But we will still have the EE to look forward to...

Eruonen
Half-elven

Oct 15 2014, 11:25pm

Post #14 of 30 (292 views)
Shortcut
It was a long and winding road. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully, we will see some more adaptations in the not too distant future (well, at least in my lifetime)...I know, a fools hope....The Children of Hurin would make for a terrific dark and in some ways very different Middle Earth film...gritty, gloomy, heroic and tragic.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Oct 15 2014, 11:26pm)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2014, 1:28pm

Post #15 of 30 (225 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you full-heartedly... // [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2014, 1:30pm

Post #16 of 30 (227 views)
Shortcut
LOL... Ditto! [In reply to] Can't Post

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2014, 1:38pm

Post #17 of 30 (223 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful way of putting it... Right on.// [In reply to] Can't Post

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2014, 1:49pm

Post #18 of 30 (224 views)
Shortcut
Well, for me it has been just the opposite!... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry for you, but I on the contrary am so grateful and happy!... What a boon those films have been, and I'm so glad there is still the last one coming, and then its EE too later...

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 16 2014, 3:03pm

Post #19 of 30 (210 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yes! And there is always hope [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps for a complete re-edit "director's cut" of all three movies, since it sounds as tho PJ always did multiple shootings for a scene. LOL re CGI maybe they could do an "unrated" version that actually has some blood in it (a little) once in a while. Just a little tho, for "realism".Cool

But more importantly, has as much footage as possible - no point in letting all those little details that didn't make it into a film so far just sit around.Unimpressed

And perhaps del Toro would somehow take the torch for an ME film - depending on where the rights issues are, and what they are. Shocked

KingTurgon
Rohan

Oct 16 2014, 3:56pm

Post #20 of 30 (204 views)
Shortcut
I'm hoping [In reply to] Can't Post

That PJ does what George Lucas did and edits LOTR after he finished The Hobbit. Nothing major, but something like showing Thranduil at The Last Alliance, deleted scenes like Gil-galad's (my favorite Tolkien character) death or the invasion of Lothlorien in FOTR, or a brief scene of Dain fighting the Easterlings in ROTK. I think it could make the franchise as a whole richer.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Oct 17 2014, 4:57am

Post #21 of 30 (176 views)
Shortcut
Interesting ideas, yes!...// [In reply to] Can't Post

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 17 2014, 1:06pm

Post #22 of 30 (178 views)
Shortcut
Just want to say [In reply to] Can't Post

Hats off to denizens on the board who've been here from the beginning. I can only imagine the roller-coaster thrill of living through the lit-not-lit era, and the drama after that of the director-change, the casting, and the stuff during, and even after filming has wrapped and through the post shoot follow-ups, PR and release. I stayed away deliberately until I could no longer resist the lure, but I have also missed out on being a part of the experience obviously. You have something special for sure.Smile

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile

Heart Thranduil Appreciation
Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XVIII
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVI

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare! Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Oct 17 2014, 3:18pm

Post #23 of 30 (167 views)
Shortcut
Not too sure that I want [In reply to] Can't Post

to see Del Toro's M-e, I really like PJ's... but otherwise I share your hopes absolutely!...WinkCoolHeart

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Oct 17 2014, 3:53pm

Post #24 of 30 (168 views)
Shortcut
Nice of you to say that... And [In reply to] Can't Post

do not even try to imagine what it has been to be part of the huge circus of the LOTR films!!! Now they are obvious, and celbrated and honored by most, but I can tell you at the beginning it was a complete uproar: to give so much money to this practically unknown film-maker, so that he can make the three huge movies at once without even waiting for the feedback to the first!!! It was seen as a completely insane move. And all the fans everywhere waited for each film with utmost caution and suspicion and anticipated reaction to the slightest rumor...!!! To me, the state of these Boards for the Hobbit Trilogy has been more or less a mere repeat of all the fury and outcry and controversy that the first Trilogy has seen too in its own time...! The new-byes have no idea, but the LOTR old timers like me will all testify that what I say is true..., This is why one can laugh... and enjoy the repeat to the full, without a real disturbance this time around over the superficial stuff.
I'll just be so glad to have now these six great movies instead of only the last three of the set...
I Heart PJ, and I Heart.JRRT, who gave me those books, and now those films... and all those friends on TORn too!

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 17 2014, 4:22pm

Post #25 of 30 (167 views)
Shortcut
That is why I like to read the oldest posts that Magpie suggested [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the stories I like the best that I saw on TV, because I like the occasional story when a businessman isn't stupid, is when the lead studio exec - Ted Turner? being shown the first footage of LOTR by PJ and knowing, right then, he had a major hit on his hands (as opposed to the famous POTC story of Disney fussing over Jack Sparrow's portrayal LOL but at least they apologized...)Cool

I've missed much - but that's why I like the moment in the Appendices seeing the fans chanting "Hobbit, Hobbit..."

'Coz I do feel it's the fans had a huge role in making the Hobbit happen, so I do feel grateful to all those who raised their voices early onSmileHeart. And even better, the folks who were there through it all are willing to share what it was like.Heart

Perhaps one day those same voices, like water wearing down a stone, will help soften the stance of the Tolkien estate?UnsureShockedUnimpressed

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.