Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Would you pay $149 for a pair of jeans?
Poll: Would you pay $149 for a pair of jeans?
Yes, they look GREAT!
Are you crazy? No way!
View Results (49 votes)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 14 2014, 9:42pm

Post #1 of 21 (643 views)
Shortcut
Would you pay $149 for a pair of jeans? Can't Post

About 6 months ago I heard about Barbell Denim, which is a new company on Kickstarter. They said they could go into production IF they raised $15K; since then they've raised over $50K. The idea behind Barbell denim is that the jeans are cut for a more "athletic" body, i.e. people with glutes and thighs. Also the denim is both stronger and more flexible, but take a look at the video: http://barbellapparel.com/

Personally I would LOVE to get jeans that fit in the waist AND butt, and being able to go rock-climbing in jeans would also be cool! I was all in favor of this project, and intended to buy a pair ASAP, until I saw the price tag.Unsure I dunno, I may do it anyway when the bootcut jeans are finally available. I DID just blow $200 on a new pair of running shoes, and there are designer jeans for twice that amount. So, pretty simple yes or no poll here, lemme know what you think!

Meneldor
Valinor

Oct 14 2014, 11:09pm

Post #2 of 21 (437 views)
Shortcut
Only if there was a $150 bill in the pockets. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Immortal

Oct 15 2014, 12:40am

Post #3 of 21 (445 views)
Shortcut
unlikely [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a big fan of Lee jeans. My sister says that it doesn't matter what your body is like, every woman looks good in them. And I can usually get them for under $30.

(I used to watch "What Not to Wear" and one time they said "the whole point of jeans is to show off your butt." My next pair were tighter in that region . . . )

A friend of mine who has a gorgeous body (she dances) recently got talked into buying a pair of $100 jeans by her daughters, and . . . yeah, they fit well, but no better than her cheap ones.

I think it's more of a status thing, myself.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Oct 15 2014, 7:41am

Post #4 of 21 (425 views)
Shortcut
The price is a function of volume. [In reply to] Can't Post

Even with their startup financing (which is pretty slim, considering the cost of setting up production and marketing channels), their big problem will be that they don't have enough of a market as a startup to generate a large volume. Producing anything (from toothpicks to electronics) in small quantities is expensive. Their hope is that, even at this price, they will sell enough volume to early adopters to interest distributors and justify larger production runs and reduced prices downstream.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Oct 15 2014, 7:43am)

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 15 2014, 7:51am

Post #5 of 21 (424 views)
Shortcut
In general... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not talking about this case but in general: Many cheap clothes are only so cheap because of their production in horrible factories in Asia and elsewhere (very often involving child labour).

So in a way I would rather buy a $149 jeans than a $10 jeans, if you know what I mean.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 15 2014, 8:33am

Post #6 of 21 (423 views)
Shortcut
Highly unlikely [In reply to] Can't Post

I just went jeans-shopping yesterday, actually. Got a decent pair for only 20 euros. We'll see how long they'll last.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Oct 15 2014, 1:57pm

Post #7 of 21 (417 views)
Shortcut
Maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been trying for over 20 years to buy American made clothes, which used to be possible but really isn't anymore. To pay $150, though, the jeans would have to be perfect and since I'm sick to death of low-rise jeans and "stretch" jeans (that all too often stretch out and get baggy), these particular jeans don't interest me. I'd be more tempted to go to a tailor and get a custom made pair out of a good quality 100% cotton denim. Fortunately, I found a couple of pairs of really good jeans that I like at a thrift shop and one of them, hallelujah, is all cotton and keeps its shape day after day no matter what. The other pair has "stretch" but is apparently better fabric than most because it also doesn't get baggy (it's the Elie Tahari brand). I paid $3 for one pair and maybe $5 or $6 for the other? I love thrift shops. Smile Heart

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 15 2014, 2:53pm

Post #8 of 21 (407 views)
Shortcut
Hell, no! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not even if they were personally autographed by Jesus, Joss Whedon and Peter Jackson.

Annael
Immortal

Oct 15 2014, 4:05pm

Post #9 of 21 (404 views)
Shortcut
thrift shops are the best! [In reply to] Can't Post

I buy most of my clothes at them. We have a consignment store here that only takes nice stuff and I've gotten some terrific deals on some very good brands. Sometimes the stuff still has the original tags on them: as if the person who bought them never wore them and couldn't be bothered to take them back - which makes sense as we are at the back of beyond and taking clothes back to the store could cost you $50 in gas & ferry fees.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Oct 15 2014, 5:41pm

Post #10 of 21 (390 views)
Shortcut
Ha! I won't pay more than five bucks [In reply to] Can't Post

which is what I pay at the thrift store. They work just fine for hiking.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Oct 15 2014, 5:42pm

Post #11 of 21 (382 views)
Shortcut
*mods way up* [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially for the $150 bill part; that would be quite a find :-D

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Oct 15 2014, 5:44pm

Post #12 of 21 (380 views)
Shortcut
With those particular autographs, I might be tempted. :-D // [In reply to] Can't Post

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 15 2014, 6:22pm

Post #13 of 21 (374 views)
Shortcut
Hehehe! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 15 2014, 7:30pm

Post #14 of 21 (376 views)
Shortcut
fit of the jeans [In reply to] Can't Post

My sister once bought some Dolce Garbana (?) jeans for $300, ended up giving them to my daughter. The best jeans I've found in a long time is Merona Fit 1 relaxed from Target - well that was over a year ago, and you just can't get them anymoreMad. Not trying to brag (no, really am not), but my problem is a waist gap. By the time I get them to fit in the butt, the waist is too big. I don't like "low rise" or "skinny" jeans at all, prefer just a normal straight leg or slight bootcut with a midrise. Well if I buy some of these I'll let you know how they are, supposed to be more functional than merely flattering.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 15 2014, 7:33pm

Post #15 of 21 (372 views)
Shortcut
Startup [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, that's what makes me sad. But I don't like to buy the cheap jeans at WalMart anymore, of course they're cheap because they're likely made in China. I was Kavetching to someone else about Merona fit 1 jeans from Target (probably also made overseas), nice relaxed fit with some stretch, but not "jeggings." I guess they don't make them anymore, or lost their contract, or whatever.Unsure

Elarie
Grey Havens

Oct 15 2014, 10:45pm

Post #16 of 21 (367 views)
Shortcut
Thrift shop clothes with the original tags still on [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes! I love when that happens! Smile But I always wonder - bad birthday present? weight change? too much caffeine at the mall? Whatever, if it's something I like and can wear, it's like an extra bonus.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 15 2014, 11:10pm

Post #17 of 21 (372 views)
Shortcut
she was actually talking about consignment shops [In reply to] Can't Post

...when she was talking about tags still on the garments.

But in regards to thrift stores, I know that at least Goodwill buys merchandise from other stores like Target. Target doesn't want clearance merchandise hanging around too long so it will sell - in large lots - stuff to Goodwill. So it's not at all uncommon to see merchandise at Goodwill with Target price tags on them.

I used to troll Target for clearance items (they keep them in particular spots) and often I would see things at Goodwill that I'd seen at Target with the Target price marked off and a higher price than the Target sale price was slapped on.

We also get a lot of new merchandise at the thrift store that benefits people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. I suspect a fair amount (if not all) is donated with the companies taking a tax write off.

I wouldn't be surprised if other thrift stores have other similar arrangements.

And then there are those of us who buy something and just go 'What was I thinking?' (liberal folk song alert)

(This post was edited by Magpie on Oct 15 2014, 11:16pm)

Cirashala
Valinor

Oct 17 2014, 4:31am

Post #18 of 21 (347 views)
Shortcut
one way to get American made clothing [In reply to] Can't Post

is to make it yourself, which is what I do Wink

Though I admit I haven't yet progressed in my sewing skills to jeans, but plan on making a plain (as in not a million pockets) pair of denim overalls here soon Cool

The only regret I have is that I don't a) have the time, and b) have the skill/loom to weave my own fabric from cotton and wool, so unfortunately in that regard I still have to purchase fabric at the store, which means there's a chance it's made in questionable factories Unsure But at least I can sleep with the knowledge that my clothing itself (excluding fabric manufacture) is still made in America Evil

Plus, in the long run it ends up being cheaper (especially since I coupon clip for Joann's (fabric/craft store), and signed up for their mail coupon books, so I either use a coupon or purchase items on sale), the clothing fits properly to my size (yay no more uncomfortable muffin tops vs pants falling down (same size too Crazy) Sly), it's comfortable, and since I made it myself it can be taken in or let out as needed Smile

On a side note too- we love thrift stores as well Cool In fact, furniture wise 90% of all our furniture was purchase at a thrift store- we even got an excellent condition hide-a-bed style couch on 50% off furniture day (a LaZboy) for about $40! And I can get Disney Classic (and newer) VHS tapes for fifty cents (still have a VCR) rather than have to wait ten years for re-releases and pay over $20 for them, among other treasures Smile

The only one I refuse to shop at is Goodwill after learning that their CEO made a six figure income last year on a store chain whose ENTIRE inventory was donated and second hand and supposedly "non profit" catering to "poverty stricken people"- that's NOT right. Thrift stores shouldn't be making that much money if they're genuinely out to help those in need. I shop at others in the area, especially St. Vincent's (I'm not Catholic, however nearly all their workers are volunteer, and every time they make goes into the community in the form of low income/assistance housing, soup kitchens, etc- and their prices, like stuff a bag of clothes for $1 days, or half off furniture days, etc are truly within reach of poor families unlike Goodwill).

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 17 2014, 5:17am

Post #19 of 21 (352 views)
Shortcut
re: Goodwill [In reply to] Can't Post

Your accounting of what Goodwill is didn't sound like what I had heard about the store so I did some searching and found this on Snopes:
http://www.snopes.com/...siness/charities.asp

This is what was circulating about Goodwill:
GOODWILL CEO and owner Mark Curran profits $2.3 million a year.
Goodwill is a very catchy name for his business.
You donate to his business and then he sells the items for PROFIT.
He pays nothing for his products and pays his workers minimum wage! Nice Guy.
$0.00 goes to help anyone! Stop giving to this man.
Here's what Snopes says:
Goodwill: Goodwill Industries International is not a business that takes in donated items and resells them for a profit. It is a not-for-profit organization that provides job training, employment placement services and other community-based programs for people who have disabilities, lack education or job experience, or face employment challenges. Goodwill raises money for their programs through a chain of thrift stores which also operate as non-profits.

The CEO of Goodwill Industries International is not Mark Curran, nor does he make $2.3 million a year. The current President and CEO of Goodwill is Jim Gibbons, who in 2011 received a total reported compensation of $725,000.
I'm not sure how much of that misinformation is what you read but it is a non-profit and it does help people get job skills in a variety of ways.

Plus, when you say that their entire inventory was donated that is not accurate. They do buy pallets of merchandise from Target and other stores.

Cirashala
Valinor

Oct 17 2014, 4:44pm

Post #20 of 21 (343 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for clarifying, as I'd heard it from my friend whose husband told her not to shop there [In reply to] Can't Post

But in my defense $725,000 is still a six figure income, which was my main issue.

As for employment wages, I have seen Goodwill jobs in the area listed while searching for mental health related jobs for my husband (he's a retail manager now, but as he's working on his Master's of Mental Health Counseling we like to keep an eye open for jobs in his intended field). Apparently when I type in the search words "mental health" Goodwill is one of the places that comes up.

I can verify that yes, Goodwill's jobs are minimum wage, or not much higher. Washington State's minimum wage is $9 per hour, and the jobs found there (as I'm near the WA/ID border in ID) are listed at about $9 per hour. Similarly, the ones listed for Idaho are also about minimum wage, with the store manager types just a dollar or maybe two more. Still not high wage.

I fully admit that I didn't look into details as closely as you did in terms of inventory (to be fair, at the ones around here I've been to, I haven't seen original tags/Target tags on items), and I wasn't aware of their community outreach.

So what is now verified, and what I now know, is that Goodwill's CEO still makes a six figure income (over a mil would be 7 figure or higher), that his employees make minimum or nearly minimum wage (depending on position) and most of those are part time, and that their products are being sold at, while less than retail value most of the time, are still quite high for (mostly) donated items. In fact, there are many times where a sale at Sears or Penny's has children's clothing cheaper than Goodwill does for (what I can tell) is used stuff!

Thanks for the clarification on facts for sure, but given Jim Gibbons' compensation of $725k per year for a community outreach/non-profit business, I am still inclined to not shop there. My reasoning is that, while a CEO often has a great deal of business experience and education, making over $100,000 per year in a business that's supposed to be about the community and helping others is too much, IMHO. And a person can easily live off $100,000 per year- it's not like that's not a living wage Crazy I honestly don't see why he would NEED that much compensation.

I don't begrudge those who make money for work they've done and experience/education they've earned. Far from it- if someone has gone through the trouble of a master's degree (and cost), and has worked and gained over ten years' experience, yes they should be compensated accordingly.

I saw a youtube documentary a while back about a Japanese CEO who made US equivalent about $90k a year. He ate with his employees in the cafeteria (even down to the janitors), he didn't have a fancy office or private jet, or a multimillion dollar home (in fact, his wife was bugging him about painting the front door and a couple other household repairs- sound familiar?), and he didn't wear Armani shades or suits, etc. He was a normal guy who happened to be the boss and make JUST A LITTLE more than his subordinates (and his employees made above minimum wage).

That's what a CEO should look like, IMO. They shouldn't be making 6 figures when their employees are on food stamps. My husband makes $34k per year and we only have his income thanks to my health issues. I loathe that I occasionally have to go to Walmart or other business like this just to be able to afford some things (though I do make sure all my grocery shopping is done at either Costco (a good company) or a local grocery store that sells produce and such from local farmers and thus keeps it in the community). But they are for profit, so while it grates at me I occasionally drag my feet there out of sheer necessity. But I don't go too often.

But when a business is non-profit and all about community, I am hesitant to support that kind of income for a CEO. I would venture to guess that the idea of a "non-profit" is that there's NO PROFIT. Ok, fine. But the fact that they get out of that particular loophole by paying a six figure wage "as a business expense, not profit" seems to be a bit shady. They're clearly making profit off their sales, but "writing it off" as "income expense". If he had a reasonable wage for his position- no more than $100,000 per year, then I would be ok with that. But even with a reasonable wage, that means there is about $625,000 that could go toward raising the employees' wage above minimum. Or it could go toward community programs and job training (my point is, no employee of a company where a CEO makes that much should ever qualify for food stamps).

Again, maybe it's just my personal opinion, or maybe it's dumb. But that's how I feel about it- I'd rather buy from a non-profit where most of the workers are volunteer (and those in charge don't make a fortune) so that as much money as possible goes toward the community as a non-profit was intended to do than one where employees who are trying to get back on their feet are still on assistance while their boss is living the good life all in the name of "community".

dubulous
Rohan

Oct 17 2014, 9:28pm

Post #21 of 21 (360 views)
Shortcut
Sometimes I have no option [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't be happy to pay that much, but being a tall woman, and not stick thin, it's really not that easy to find jeans or any pants that actually fit nicely, so if I find a pair that is the right size and looks good, I don't have much choice if it's anything below $200.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.