Why there's nothing about Saruman?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

erdildeniz
Rivendell

Oct 14 2014, 7:27pm

Post #1 of 36 (1278 views)
Shortcut
Why there's nothing about Saruman? Can't Post

Neither in teaser, nor in character banners, there was something about Saruman. He is one of the key characters of the final film, but they didn't give any picture about him. Hopefully, in the trailer, we can get him..

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 14 2014, 7:36pm

Post #2 of 36 (867 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't call him a key character [In reply to] Can't Post

He'll have limited screen-time, as will Elrond and Radagast. They don't really have big roles in this movie. It's Gandalf and Galadriel that will really overthrow Sauron, the others are effectively support.

Who knows, they might even be digitally removed in the theatrical version Wink

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Oct 14 2014, 7:37pm)

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 14 2014, 7:39pm

Post #3 of 36 (825 views)
Shortcut
He's on the Scroll... [In reply to] Can't Post

...as well as in the poster billing.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

erdildeniz
Rivendell

Oct 14 2014, 7:44pm

Post #4 of 36 (840 views)
Shortcut
Ahaha are you joking? [In reply to] Can't Post

Chris. Lee already told he has a lot to do in the last film. In the Dol Guldur part of the bannel, there was Saruman. And in credits, there is the name of Christopher Lee. Are you really kidding? Don't you remember Gandalf's Speech in Elrond's Council:
"It was by the devices of Saruman we were able to drive the enemy out of his fortress."
So for me, if Saruman joins, Galadriel means nothing. And they already told it in Comic Con:
"Galadriel will fight with Sauron and lose her ****"
So, understand that, SARUMAN WILL SAVE THE DAY.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Oct 14 2014, 10:47pm)

tsmith675
Gondor

Oct 14 2014, 7:53pm

Post #5 of 36 (808 views)
Shortcut
I think QuackingTroll is right. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's going to be mainly the Galadriel and Gandalf show. Yes, Saruman will definitely help out, but I don't think he's going to be the main focus of the Dol Guldur scenes.

Our destiny lies above us.

Greypilgrim
Bree

Oct 14 2014, 7:55pm

Post #6 of 36 (781 views)
Shortcut
in reply [In reply to] Can't Post

by "lose her ****" PJ means she will show her true power. She in my opinion will be the one to kick saurons ass

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Oct 14 2014, 10:48pm)

HiddenSpring
Lorien

Oct 14 2014, 7:55pm

Post #7 of 36 (780 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

That means Galadriel will kick serious arse, not that she will literally lose the battle.

I'm sure Christopher Lee means well but those expecting Saruman to be the star of the Dol Guldur scene are in for a shock.

erdildeniz
Rivendell

Oct 14 2014, 8:00pm

Post #8 of 36 (780 views)
Shortcut
"It was by the devices of Saruman we were able to drove enemy out of his fortress" [In reply to] Can't Post

It ýs very clear actually. I can't understand why Galadriel became the star of Dol Guldur. She's only an elf.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Oct 14 2014, 8:10pm

Post #9 of 36 (737 views)
Shortcut
Maybe you forgot Lee is like a century old. // [In reply to] Can't Post

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 14 2014, 8:10pm

Post #10 of 36 (754 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Gandalf does say so... [In reply to] Can't Post

... in the book. Films, however, are a whole another matter.

erdildeniz
Rivendell

Oct 14 2014, 8:13pm

Post #11 of 36 (737 views)
Shortcut
Maybe you forgot that there are many ways like double and like CGI head placing :D [In reply to] Can't Post

KingTurgon
Rohan

Oct 14 2014, 8:26pm

Post #12 of 36 (723 views)
Shortcut
I get where you are coming from [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Saruman, narratively, needs to be crucial in defeating the Necromancer, otherwise why is it such a shock/big deal on a personal level when he turns in FOTR? Plus he is the head of the White Council and the White Wizard, there is a reason why he is in charge, and I think that needs to be demonstrated to us. I think we will catch a glimpse of Saruman in the marketing (or at least I hope, seeing as how he is my favorite character in the Hobbit/LOTR time period), just need to be patient :D

But Sir Christopher said he has a lot to do in the final Hobbit film, so I will trust him on that Cool

(This post was edited by KingTurgon on Oct 14 2014, 8:31pm)

erdildeniz
Rivendell

Oct 14 2014, 8:38pm

Post #13 of 36 (691 views)
Shortcut
Finally, bro, you made my day. [In reply to] Can't Post

Saruman is my favorite character,too. You remember Gandalf's trust on him:
"I must see the head of my order. He is both WISE and POWERFUL."
" When did Saruman the WISE abandon reason for madness?"

And you remember the White Council scene in Rivendell, when Gandalf hears Saruman's voice, he bacame upset and bored. So Saruman SHOULD do great things in the 3rd film and that will lead Gandalf's trust on him in FOTR.
So, as books mentions, Saruman SHOULD be the central power in DOL GULDUR

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 14 2014, 8:44pm

Post #14 of 36 (685 views)
Shortcut
Blame PJ [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It is very clear actually. I can't understand why Galadriel became the star of Dol Guldur. She's only an elf.

I think that Peter Jackson might be combining elements of the 3019 assault on Dol Guldur with the White Council's attack of 2941.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

KingTurgon
Rohan

Oct 14 2014, 8:47pm

Post #15 of 36 (681 views)
Shortcut
What I think may happen [In reply to] Can't Post

Galadriel saves Gandalf and throws Sauron around a little bit (hence PJ's quote at Comic-Con), but that it will be Saruman who comes in, maybe after breaking through any Orcs/Nazgul, and tips the scales (hence Sir Christopher's quote about having a lot to do) while Elrond and anyone else there deal with the Orcs/Nazgul. I would be OK with that too, as it shows how powerful all 3 members of the film White Council other than Gandalf, who we see fight the Balrog later, (Saruman, Galadriel, and Elrond) are. I hope Radagast gets in on the action as well, and I think he does, because he mentioned "doing spells with Christopher Lee" in one interview I think.

Just a rough theory, but a plausible one, IMO.

Either way, I am excited to see the Dol Guldur showdown more than anything else in the final movie - I really enjoy how Tolkien wrote it and I think Peter Jackson and co have done a great job translating it to the big screen.

delius82
Rivendell

Oct 14 2014, 8:50pm

Post #16 of 36 (660 views)
Shortcut
He doesn't seem... [In reply to] Can't Post

...like that much of a major character to me. I can see why he's been bypassed in terms of character posters. We don't even see him in the trailer.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Oct 14 2014, 9:52pm

Post #17 of 36 (606 views)
Shortcut
Correct... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Saruman was the hero of Dol Guldur according to Tolkien. In fact, that's about the ONLY detail we really have about what actually went down in Dol Guldur in 2941 TA.

However the filmmakers seem to be fixated on making a huge deal out of Galadriel for some reason. According to Philippa Boyens, "...Galadriel is the most powerful being in Middle-earth..."

leonmuse
Rivendell

Oct 14 2014, 9:53pm

Post #18 of 36 (650 views)
Shortcut
Christopher Lee's Saruman has been... [In reply to] Can't Post

...under-marketed

The poster from your avatar, this Saruman is a rehash from a poster/shot of the LOTR era.

In the poster scroll for BOTFA, Saruman is hidden in the shadows.

It's a pity. Chris Lee's age has nothing to do with it, since they could give us a poster featuring even a double from behind. It would still be Saruman.

But we never get what we wish, do we? :)

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song
above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier
world. But, sad or merry, I must leave it now.
Farewell."

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Oct 14 2014, 10:03pm

Post #19 of 36 (614 views)
Shortcut
That could easily be done... [In reply to] Can't Post

...simply by having Galadriel play a passive role during the actual battle, and then having her "cleanse" Dol Guldur after the Wizards kick Sauron out. Even during the assault in 3019, Galadriel did not come in until after the forces of Thranduil and Celeborn took care of all the fighting.

Bard'sBlackArrow
Lorien

Oct 15 2014, 1:32am

Post #20 of 36 (516 views)
Shortcut
HHHmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Chris. Lee already told he has a lot to do in the last film. In the Dol Guldur part of the bannel, there was Saruman. And in credits, there is the name of Christopher Lee. Are you really kidding? Don't you remember Gandalf's Speech in Elrond's Council:
"It was by the devices of Saruman we were able to drive the enemy out of his fortress."
So for me, if Saruman joins, Galadriel means nothing. And they already told it in Comic Con:
"Galadriel will fight with Sauron and lose her ****"
So, understand that, SARUMAN WILL SAVE THE DAY.

I hope Christopher has more to do.

... on the other side of tomorrow...

Spalko
Rivendell

Oct 15 2014, 6:07am

Post #21 of 36 (481 views)
Shortcut
Same here [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Either way, I am excited to see the Dol Guldur showdown more than anything else in the final movie - I really enjoy how Tolkien wrote it and I think Peter Jackson and co have done a great job translating it to the big screen.

I agree. The narrative in a book and in a movie are different and that is why it is so difficult to transfer words into images. We all would want the movies to be closer to the books, but a lot of things wouldn't work in the big screen, and that I why I agree with you; I think they did a pretty good job, and if they added, invented or changed things, I see and enjoy them as a new addition to the ME world, and if I want to go full cannon, I go and re-read the books. I think both can coexist and the movies and the fan additions (fics, shipping, fanart...) do not invalidate the canon in anyway.

And with this said, I have to say that I want to see Saruman kicking ass too, and I want to see Galadriel losing it, and I want to see if Gandalf has an epic scene and he is not left in a passive role during in the whole Dol Guldur scene. I want to see my three favourite characters involved in something epic.

nymmerod
The Shire

Oct 15 2014, 6:34am

Post #22 of 36 (475 views)
Shortcut
:D I loved this topic enough to join the forum after a decade+ of lurking [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure Saruman will have plenty of things to do in the battle and will be a key part. But I do think they are playing up Galadriel a lot more. Sure she's "only an elf" and so is Elrond but let's remember that they are both secret guardians of rings of power which grants them power above and beyond the average elf.

I think in Tolkien that ring-bearer power was really only the power to preserve and inspire but in the Jackson-verse I bet that power also makes them kick a** in magical combat as well.

The new Lego set for this battle doesn't feature Saruman though which may or may not indicate the level of his involvement.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=96226

tattooed_dwarf
Rivendell

Oct 15 2014, 6:46am

Post #23 of 36 (482 views)
Shortcut
I fear the worst... [In reply to] Can't Post

that Saruman would be just helping there, when Galadriel saves the day. But canonwise, especially when you think about LOTR movies, it would be very smart thing to make Saruman the biggest force in Dol Guldur fight. After all, you sense huge respect in Gandalfs words when he praises Saruman in FOTR. And damn, he even defeats Gandalf in FOTR.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Oct 15 2014, 7:34am

Post #24 of 36 (462 views)
Shortcut
What Galadriel saves... [In reply to] Can't Post

From the evidence so far (the scroll and picture of Galadriel kissing Gandalf) it's pretty clear that she will personally rescue Gandalf from Dol Guldur. But this still leaves the opportunity for Saruman to be the principal power behind driving Sauron out of DG.

My one great fear is that Lee not be cheated out of his part in this like he was cheated out of his fall in RotK (which cost him quite a few ensemble awards and was a great personal disappointment, since he was a very long-tine Tolkien fan who actually met the Professor).

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Oct 15 2014, 7:36am)

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 15 2014, 7:55am

Post #25 of 36 (441 views)
Shortcut
Hm... [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand the sympathy and his frustration over RotK. But I thought it was a good decision - filmmaking-wise - and made RotK a better theatrical experience with a better flow.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.