Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XVIII
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 14 2014, 8:37am

Post #1 of 204 (6717 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XVIII  

Eeep! TAXVII went by as fast as Thranduil's marvellous sword-quickdraw Heart Rolling on with the late teens Angelic

Any and all appreciation of HeartThranduil and everything related to him happens here.
All HeartThranduil Thralls, and appreciating non-Thralls are welcome.Smile
So feel free to jump in at any time!

(Clicky!)

The Thranduil Appreciation thread count:
I | II (Originating threads by Rowan Greene) | III | IV | V | VI (Threads by Lurker in the Mirk)
VII (Thread by Eruvandi) | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV (Threads by Lurker in the Mirk)
XV (Thread by Eruvandi) | XVI (Thread by Lurker in the Mirk) | XVII (Thread by VValar)

NOTE: Please read the "IMPORTANT README for TA posters: Information on posting, and adding images"

Thranduil Appreciation Lexicon aka the little TAspeak garden Tongue
  • BTS Easter Egg Find (aka BEEF): Those moments in the BTS when Thranduil/LP flashes by (see Unexpected Flash of Elf) on screen or some information is found. See also "Ninja-Hugger"
  • Bubba: Nickname of Thranduil's beloved War-Elk. See also "Maximum Fabulosity Exposure"
  • Equal Opportunistic Thrall: One who thralls whom her/his infidelity fancies. Shamelessly multi-allegiance by nature. See also "Thranduil Thralls"
  • Elvenking, The: That's right, that's how it's supposed to be written
  • Facemelt: That thing Thranduil does in T&T
  • Fanart: Popular post subject/title. Beacon for Thralls, as sure as moths dive into flames. See also "Pretty!"
    (Helpful reference for the threadlard inspired: See the "IMAGES" section of "The TA (very) Quickie Help/TIPS for adding IMAGES and POSTING" sections in this README FOR ALL TA Posters)
  • FEAST: Shorthand for Flustered Elrond AND Sassy Thranduil. In honour of Thranduil sass/badassery resulting in Elrond raising his eyebrows disapprovingly. May involve dramatic Elrond temple-rubbing. Elrond's fluster can be induced remotely or by proxy and does not require Elrond to be present when Thranduil does his thang. See also "FLAST", "FEASTING"
  • FEASTING: Shorthand for Flustered Elrond AND Sassy Thranduil Including Not-impressed Galadriel. Extension of FEAST, which includes Galadriel, also in disapproval mode, i.e. Elrond's fluster conditions in FEAST apply here for both Elrond and Galadriel
  • FLAST: Shorthand for Flustered Leggy AND Sassy Thranduil. In honour of the worship for badass (maybe a smidgeon of oblivious in there somewhere) Thranduil and his actions/non-actions resulting in Legolas getting into a flap. Requires Legolas to be present when Thranduil does his thang. See also "FEAST"
  • GotG: Guardians of the Galaxy. That movie in August 2014 with LP in it
  • HCF: Halt and Catch Fire. LP's 2014 TV series.
  • Hair of Thranduil (aka HoT) Appreciation. Appreciation for Thranduil's gloriously silken beautiful platinum blond locks.
  • High Thud Risk (aka HTR): Alert for Pretty! hoarding thralls, invoked when 'EI' ain't cutting it. See also "Pretty!"
  • LA/LAEM: The Last Alliance of Elves and Men, not the city in the States
  • Lee Pace: Thranduil
  • Leggy: affectionate diminutive of Legolas
  • Legolas: Son of Thranduil, aka surfer Elf of LotR
  • LP: Lee Pace
  • Maximum Fabulosity Exposure (aka MFE): Thranduil's complete magnificence doing anything. Inspired by his awesome cool when riding Bubba the War-Elk. See also "Bubba"
  • Ninja-Hugger: Specifically LP dispensing hugs. Not that he hugs ninjas, but because he's sneaky like a ninja when he hugs people in the TH Vlogs and appendices and it takes everyone forever to realize it was even him, usually because he's back to camera when he bounces into frame. Will the sneaky hugging never end? We hope not! See also "BTS Easter Egg Find", "Unexpected Flash of Elf"
  • Oropher: Father of Thranduil
  • Orry/Oro: affectionate diminutive of Oropher
  • PD: Pushing Daisies. LP's 2007/2008 TV series
  • Pretty!: Surely self-explanatory? See also "Woodland Weekend", "High Thud Risk"
  • Silent Thread Visitor (aka STV): Self-explanatory, also known as Silent Thread Reader. STVs, Thranduil has a question for you. What say you? Smile
  • T&T: The Thranduil and Thorin confrontation scene in DOS. Generally ranked top favourite of Thranduil Thralls
  • TA: Thranduil Appreciation. All-round Heart for the Elvenking and his onscreen avatar (and by extension teh actor. See also LP). Shockingly, there are TA posts with that literary bent associated with thinking individuals frequenting such an exemplary forum as TORn. Some even hint at functional brain-matter in the poster.
  • That disagreeable (among other things) Dwarf: See "T&T"
  • Theory of Bling: Overarching term for theories and speculation on the backstories of Thranduil's rings. Popular discussion circa TAIII/TAIV, but still pops up occasionally.
  • Thranddy: affectionateHeart diminutive of the Elvenking's name (if you don't know who is the Elvenking, google is your mellon)
  • Thrandfully: The right manner on how to express your thankfulness to all Thranduil-related and non-related subjects
  • Thranduil Thralls: The afflicted. Fangirls, and boys, whose allegiance are pledged to the Elvenking. Also known as the hopelessly enthralled to his ELVEN MAGNIFICENCE. Perturbing to some, Thralldom may not be exclusive. Credit goes to Eowyn of Penns Woods for the "official" Thranduil Thrall moniker. See also "Equal Opportunistic Thrall"
  • Threadlock: The inevitable fate of all TA threads exceeding 200 replies, aka mundane Chore of Mod. See also "Thread tipping"
  • Thread tipping: Post(s) that sends the current TA thread over the 200 replies threshold See also "Threadlock".
    (See the "AVOIDING GENERIC POST-DEATH" and "AVOIDING POST- DEATH FROM THREADLOCK" sections in this README FOR ALL TA Posters).
  • TW: Thrall Wars. An ongoing(?) bit of silliness in the Fan Art board ribbing everything in and about the Thralldoms of Thranduil and that disagreeable (among other things) Dwarf (see "T&T"). Here be the headtrickle of this bright little snarklestream to nowhere
  • Unexpected Flash of Elf (aka UFE): Those moments in the TH BTS, Vlogs when Thranduil/LP flashes by. See also "BTS Easter Egg Find", "Ninja-Hugger"
  • Woodland Weekend (aka WW): Occasional mega URL laden post for Pretty! of Thranduil, and LP. May also include goodness for Legolas, *cough*That disagreeable (among other things) Dwarf*cough* and some others. Selective indiscrimination is key. See also "Pretty!", "High Thud Risk"

• [Click here for the general TORnspeak lexicon]

Keeping track of the appreciation
    Caught off-guard at how much you've missed? 1 simple click will ensure you won't miss another update again. Put this thread on watch! Locate the "Watch thread" button to the top and right of this post (button 3 of the 5 threads buttons you see) and click it.

Also, if you click on the "creation" bit in the "Age" column (last one) when you view a forum, it changes to "activity", and you get a list of threads which has been recently posted to, instead of when they were started. It's a much easier way to find the current TA thread since someone will probably post in it, and it usually appears on page 1 of the activity view. Certainly beats going back through the board to look for it.

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile

Heart Thranduil Appreciation
    Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XVII
    I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare! Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
    Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Oct 14 2014, 9:05am

Post #2 of 204 (5945 views)
    Shortcut
         Continuing with the banner fan edits [In reply to]  

Which started here. Was gonna sneak them in on TAXVII but Silverlode has already executed her CoM, though she gave advanced warning about the impending threadlock. Kudos!Heart

Ok, so here's the fan edits. There's so many on tumblr already I feel like I'm going blind. But here are the choicest ones, imo, and I selected only the clean versions Smile

Original for baselining

le edits, belles demoiselles. Take your pick Smile

EditA (Simple clean edit with no other changes to the original as far as I can tell)
    EditB (Simple clean edit as above but this is LARGE)

With tinkering on saturation and so on
    Edit1
    Edit2
    Edit3
    Edit4
    Edit5

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XVIII
    I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVI

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare! Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

VValar
    Gondor

Oct 14 2014, 9:10am

Post #3 of 204 (5927 views)
    Shortcut
         Wow we're at 18 already [In reply to]  

Way to go Thralls!

And thanks for opening TA XVIII Lurker, loving that OpeningPost BattleOftheFiveArmies behindthescenes picture you used (that's a mouthful heh). Lovely addition of HoT : Hair of Thranduil. His hair is worth a mention in the lexicon indeed *swoon* thrandfully you had the wits to add it Heart

If your ears aren't pointy, you're doing it wrong.

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Oct 14 2014, 9:15am

Post #4 of 204 (5905 views)
    Shortcut
         Welcome! [In reply to]  

In Reply To
    loving that OpeningPost BattleOftheFiveArmies behindthescenes picture you used (that's a mouthful heh)

It's a nice edit isn't it?Heart Heheh... I just call it the Thranduil is HOT in armour phenomenon Tongue

In Reply To
    Lovely addition of HoT : Hair of Thranduil. His hair is worth a mention in the lexicon indeed *swoon* thrandfully you had the wits to add it Heart

*bows*Laugh Though I hope I didn't drop any of your updates on XVIIEvil... stuff looked so weird when I did the copy and paste, I resorted to taking XVI because I couldn't deal with the code amendments Crazy Then I compared both threads and patched in the new stuff from XVII

Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XVIII
    I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVI

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Oct 14 2014, 9:15am)

VValar
    Gondor

Oct 14 2014, 9:30am

Post #5 of 204 (5944 views)
    Shortcut
         Thranduil poster [In reply to]  

Wether people like it or not, it sure got them talking and making cool fanedits about it.

And re your previous post in TA #17:

In Reply To

LOL SlyEvil
    True story although it's still kinda harsh especially when comparing these two posters. It's not even a contest, cause just look at those icy blue eyes of Thranduil compared to the dull look Leggy's got.

*Ahem* I know what you're getting at Vanima

Maybe it's not in the same style as the others, I'm not thinking about war at all. Heart

VValar
    Gondor

Oct 14 2014, 9:36am

Post #6 of 204 (5897 views)
    Shortcut
         Which makes the BOFA waiting all the more painful [In reply to]  

In Reply To
    I just call it the Thranduil is HOT in armour phenomenon

Hmm yup Heart

And I think you did just fine with the OP lexicon. Dernwyn already informed me that the code was looking weird from TA 17 and she edited it (behind the scenes). Apparently it happens sometimes when text is copied.

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Oct 14 2014, 9:42am

Post #7 of 204 (5941 views)
    Shortcut
         Addendum: Thoughts... [In reply to]  

*ack, edit time-limit!*

Well, I know I've said I'm not impressed with the quality of the Thranduil banner. But it really takes nothing away from his awesome. And having been force-binged by tumblrCrazyEvil, I am beginning to appreciate the image even more.

For example, notice the slightly almost curling right corner of his mouth? In addition to harkening even more strongly with the awesomely ferocious vlog11 frame:

It's also bringing to mind the way his lip curls into an almost snarl as he says "burglary" in the "I myself suspect burglary" line

from the T&T scene.

So when word starts about the resemblance between Thranduil and Loki, I'm thinking

... yeah, superficially there is a resemblance. But while Loki's conveying devil-may-care mischief, Thranduil is all fey and edge: "Mess with me and mine, and die".

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Oct 14 2014, 9:48am)

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Oct 14 2014, 9:43am

Post #8 of 204 (5891 views)
    Shortcut
         Phew... You have no idea... [In reply to]  

I wonder why, but your code has a lot of colour codes on top of the usual font type and size ones I see. Eruvandi's didn't have that. Anyway, I scrubbed it all this timeSmile

In Reply To
    And I think you did just fine with the OP lexicon.

Cool!

ETA:

In Reply To
    Which makes the BOFA waiting all the more painful

Just about 2 more months!

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Oct 14 2014, 9:50am)

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Oct 14 2014, 9:46am

Post #9 of 204 (5927 views)
    Shortcut
         LoL ... sorry but yes, it's sad [In reply to]  

In Reply To
    LOL SlyEvil
    True story although it's still kinda harsh especially when comparing these two posters. It's not even a contest, cause just look at those icy blue eyes of Thranduil compared to the dull look Leggy's got.

for poor LeggyEvil

In Reply To

We so need a GiF of that!

=======

VValar
    Gondor

Oct 14 2014, 9:55am

Post #10 of 204 (5893 views)
    Shortcut
         RE your question about hazel eyes [In reply to]  

In Reply To
    Question for you Thralls used to multi-colour eye variants
    So is hazel a common over-term, for want of a suitable word, for eyes that have the different tints in them?

Google and Wikipedia are the best explanatory buddies we'll ever get Cool

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_color
    (.....) Hazel eyes often appear to shift in color from a brown to a green. Although hazel mostly consists of brown and green, the dominant color in the eye can either be brown/gold or green. This is how many people mistake hazel eyes to be amber and vice versa. This can sometimes produce a multicolored iris, i.e., an eye that is light brown/amber near the pupil and charcoal or dark green on the outer part of the iris (or vice versa) when observed in sunlight.
    Definitions of the eye color hazel vary: it is sometimes considered to be synonymous with light brown or gold, as in the color of a hazelnut shell.
    Hazel eyes are common throughout Caucasoid populations, in particular in regions where blue, green and brown eyed peoples are intermixed.

Mine are a mix of brown-green. It really depends on the lightening how light they actually get, but I don't have the lighter green-brownish variant (unfortunately cause I think they look really cool!) Basically mom's got blues, dad browns and I'm somewhere in the middle.

VValar
    Gondor

Oct 14 2014, 10:32am

Post #11 of 204 (5876 views)
    Shortcut
         Liking the overall post [In reply to]  

Firstly a short reply to your screencap link in the previous TA thread:
    http://screencapped.net/movie/lotr/index.php

Thanks for sharing that link. Though it's quite a bit of work to find the one screencap you were looking for, since it's not divided into chapters.
    BUT as if on cue to your curling right corner of his mouth-topic (gosh really? *swoon and thud*) I found the same pic as you did (the one where Thranduil is standing behind Thorin)

In Reply To

And yeah I had noticed that too
    <insert Eruvandi's 'if you know what I mean' pic>
    I think Thranduil has managed to make 'prosaic' and 'burglary' the two most sexy words in the entire ME history.

Maybe it's because I'm not a huge Hiddles fan (sorry Kerewyn!) but I don't see the resemblance that much between the two actors/posters. Sure it's the same pose but other than that, nothing.
    Loki's looking all together wickedy whack and slightly borderline, whereas Thranduil's got that dangerous Wood-Elf (although in theory he's really not but guess he's adopted their ways quite well) vibe going on. He's able to pull those icy blue contacts off to the max. And while we're at it, another huge difference are -of course- the brows and to top that Thranduil's got way better defined lips as well Angelic

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Oct 14 2014, 12:48pm

Post #12 of 204 (5874 views)
    Shortcut
         Thanks! [In reply to]  

In Reply To
    Thanks for sharing that link. Though it's quite a bit of work to find the one screencap you were looking for, since it's not divided into chapters.

Yeah... you know what they say, no pain no gainUnimpressed

In Reply To
    BUT as if on cue to your curling right corner of his mouth-topic (gosh really? *swoon and thud*) I found the same pic as you did (the one where Thranduil is standing behind Thorin)

Woah!

In Reply To
    <insert Eruvandi's 'if you know what I mean' pic>

Have to just LoL at this cos it invokes an image of Eruvandi placard-waving that pic up and down the board. Sorry, EruvandiEvil

In Reply To
    I think Thranduil has managed to make 'prosaic' and 'burglary' the two most sexy words in the entire ME history.

HeartHeartHeart No argument there. Even in the first threads, I think fellow-Thralls have THUDDED over the aural awesome of Thranduil's voice, especially on those 2 specific word deliveryHeartAngelic

In Reply To
    Maybe it's because I'm not a huge Hiddles fan (sorry Kerewyn!) but I don't see the resemblance that much between the two actors/posters. Sure it's the same pose but other than that, nothing.

I think it's coincidental. Fandom has thrown the two together for a while already, and well, I guess it's also the angle and their face shape. So there is a very superficial resemblance. But hey, fans can make diamonds out of thin air, so what's forcing a connection via a piece of phot-evidenceUnimpressed

In Reply To
    Loki's looking all together wickedy whack and slightly borderline, whereas Thranduil's got that dangerous Wood-Elf (although in theory he's really not but guess he's adopted their ways quite well) vibe going on. He's able to pull those icy blue contacts off to the max. And while we're at it, another huge difference are -of course- the brows and to top that Thranduil's got way better defined lips as well Angelic

Nice analysis. Though I would question if Thranduil, at least in the movie, has assimilated, or allowed himself to assimilate, all that much with his folk if he's so distinguishable anywhere there's a Elf-mob.

Sorry, sorta blending book and movie thoughts thereCrazy

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Oct 14 2014, 12:52pm

Post #13 of 204 (5845 views)
    Shortcut
         Thank you for the info [In reply to]  

How interesting. Mostly we just have brown or browner Tongue

Though, interestingly, a friend who lives in Hong Kong and is 100% Chinese, and looks it, has very lovely light brown eyes and honey-golden hair. Everyone who meets her thinks she wears colour-contacts and bleach-dye her hair ala the Japanese kawaii girl trend. But she's au naturel. All her family, including extended family, have the usual dark hair and eyes. Ramble of the day there... but yeah, I think genetics is a really interesting area of study.Smile

=======

Calithilel
    Rivendell

Oct 14 2014, 12:55pm

Post #14 of 204 (5858 views)
    Shortcut
         Oh dear [In reply to]  

You are spoiling me with those pictures of Thranduil you get, some can actually get me to drool. Not very good to do on work but... xD

But how can you not drool when Thranduil shows up Heart

Who doesn`t love the Durins?
    Thorin #majestic Oakenshield
    Fili Lionheart/Lion king
    Kili the Kutiest-patootie

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Oct 14 2014, 1:00pm

Post #15 of 204 (5861 views)
    Shortcut
         *evil laugh* Welcome to my world [In reply to]  

I did my penanceAngelic join the club. Ample choice of obsession-edit as you can see Laugh

In Reply To
    But how can you not drool when Thranduil shows up Heart

Exactly, though if we want to be pedantic... maybe if I was two days lost in the Gobi or Sahara *though the Valar save me from such a fate* Having said that, he would be quite the sight for sore eyes Heart

Just *ahem*
    Angelic

=======

Calithilel
    Rivendell

Oct 14 2014, 1:03pm

Post #16 of 204 (5832 views)
    Shortcut
         I can`t stop laughing xD [In reply to]  

Never seen that picture before, got to save it xD
    And with that smiiiiiiillleee..... *melts*

Fili Lionheart/Lion king

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Oct 14 2014, 1:06pm

Post #17 of 204 (5852 views)
    Shortcut
         You are most welcome! ;-) [In reply to]  

It's a clicky btw... the source is a mite bigger

=======

Calithilel
    Rivendell

Oct 14 2014, 1:07pm

Post #18 of 204 (5821 views)
    Shortcut
         Even better! ;) [In reply to]  

I seriously cannot stop looking at that smile.

Fili Lionheart/Lion king

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Oct 14 2014, 1:15pm

Post #19 of 204 (5844 views)
    Shortcut
         *victory sign* And welcome back! // [In reply to]  

=======

mariel
    Lorien

Oct 14 2014, 3:06pm

Post #20 of 204 (5841 views)
    Shortcut
         Funny [In reply to]  

how this pic has started cropping up in every thread! I wonder why?SlyWink

I like the OP you've chosen for this threadHeart

Eruvandi
    Tol Eressea

Oct 14 2014, 5:08pm

Post #21 of 204 (5803 views)
    Shortcut
         18! Woohoo! Also, general responses to TA XVII [In reply to]  

@VValar: "The horror"

Do you have a screencap of that scene?

Here it is. (Thanks for the link Lurker!Smile) Maybe it's just me, but he looks SO WEIRD in that shot and I can't figure out what in ME they did to get him that way. Bad photoshop? Bad camera angle? I don't know. His eyes, nose and forehead just look HUGE. IMO, he still looks odd at the end of the scene too. *shrugs*

To OB's credit, there are still many more Legolas shots in DOS that make me swoon or smile rather than cringe. Like this one and this one and the entire dwarf-head-hopping sequence and the majority of the orc interrogation scene.Smile

@Lurker: "OT Question for you Thralls used to multi-colour eye variants"

So is hazel a common over-term, for want of a suitable word, for eyes that have the different tints in them?

That's my understanding of it. When I was little, "hazel" confused me because I always thought of hazelnuts which are brown (and which I'm allergic to, btw) and people would say my eyes were hazel and I'd be like, "No, they're not. They're blue!" However, I learned since then that hazel just means your eyes have different tints in them and it seems it can be pretty much any combination of tints and still be considered hazel. No idea why.

"Home is behind the world ahead
    And there are many paths to tread
    Through shadow to the edge of night
    Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow
    Cloud and shade
    All shall fade
    All shall fade"

Bofur01
    Lorien

Oct 14 2014, 5:13pm

Post #22 of 204 (5782 views)
    Shortcut
         Just for reference on Hazel Eyes: [In reply to]  

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazel_eyes

Eruvandi
    Tol Eressea

Oct 14 2014, 5:45pm

Post #23 of 204 (5819 views)
    Shortcut
         Interesting [In reply to]  

That article only mentions hazel eyes shifting between looking brown/green/gold, so what about people like me who have a combination of blue and a little brown at the center? My eyes NEVER look brown/green/gold no matter what the lighting is. They just shift from looking brighter blue to a more dull grey-blue, but the brown at the center is still always there, it's just not as obvious sometimes as it is at other times.

My mom calls it "muddy-water-blue" but a few other people have still called it hazel.

"Home is behind the world ahead
    And there are many paths to tread
    Through shadow to the edge of night
    Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow
    Cloud and shade
    All shall fade
    All shall fade"

Eowyn of Penns Woods
    Valinor

Oct 14 2014, 8:09pm

Post #24 of 204 (5788 views)
    Shortcut
         Something like mine, then. [In reply to]  

The handful of people who ever used hazel to describe my eyes were quickly shot down by others because, to them, hazel implies a much browner green than I have. Most people call mine green. They've always been a grey-blue, but I guess the gold ring around the pupil and the darker grey ring around the iris give the impression of green often enough that this is what some people choose to stick with, though I have heard a few gasp when side-lighting really brought out the blue. ["Cat eyes" is fine. Not sure that "killer eyes" is a compliment, but as long as the commenter does my bidding it's all good. ;) ]

Colored contacts or no colored contacts, our Elven-king's eyes are always dreamy!

STV: NARTT
    NABOUF
    Not a TORns*b!
    Certified Curmudgeon
    Knitting Knerd
    NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Oct 14 2014, 8:12pm)

VValar
    Gondor

Oct 14 2014, 10:05pm

Post #25 of 204 (5762 views)
    Shortcut
         Resemblance [In reply to]  

In Reply To

You know what it reminded me of when I looked at this picture and your description following it? ('curling right corner of his mouth' and 'It's also bringing to mind the way his lip curls into an almost snarl as he says "burglary" in the "I myself suspect burglary" line')

A growling predator just mere seconds before its launch.

Kind of like this:

Only less cute and more deadly Sly

In Reply To
    Nice analysis. Though I would question if Thranduil, at least in the movie, has assimilated, or allowed himself to assimilate, all that much with his folk if he's so distinguishable anywhere there's a Elf-mob.

Yes it appears in the movie as if he is all high and mighty above the Silvan Elves and not only does he know it, he acts like it as well.
    Which is strange cause 'The Sindar adopted the language and wholly embraced the life of the Silvan Elves.' Which to me indicates the Sindar did not percieve themselves as higher or mightier than the Silvan, at least the ones living in Eryn Lasgalen.
    And since movie-version Thranduil doesn't allow his son to pledge himself to a 'lowely Silvan Elf' I would guess Thranduil himself would not have taken a Silvan Elf as his spouse either. But that's just the movie-version of course, so Legolas' mother could actually very well be Silvan (though we might never know for sure). At least Legolas certainly inherrited his haircolor (again, movie-version) from his father. That blond/golden hair really must be a dominate allele (as long as we're talking genetics here) cause those Silvan are all darker.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.