Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
JRRT Artist and Illustrator, Chapter 2 Visons, Myths and Legends Part II

Saelind
Lorien

Mar 7 2007, 12:13am

Views: 318
Shortcut
JRRT Artist and Illustrator, Chapter 2 Visons, Myths and Legends Part II Can't Post

First installment of Silmarillion pictures.

Gondolin
“As depicted in Gondolin & the Vale of Tumladin from Cristhorn [58], dated September 1928, it is similar to the city in Tanaqui [43] , especially in its tall tower and in the steep cliffs of the hill; however, thirteen years later the architecture is more symmetrical- the tower is now in the centre… The wide road on the plain presumably runs between the city and the Way of Escape through the Encircling Mountains, south towards Sirion. … Cristhorn was the means by which Tuor and Idril escaped the sack of Gondolin, and the drawing recalls how in the Fall they looked back as the path wound round the shoulder of the hills and had a last glimpse of the city, burning and half-destroyed. In the picture Gondolin is at its full strength, whole and magnificent.”

http://i156.photobucket.com/...heValeofTumladin.jpg
Colored version: http://i156.photobucket.com/...lind/tolkienpics.jpg

Always thought the city took up the entire plain not just a hill. Looks very small compared with the surrounding area. In my reading, I always thought that the elvish kingdoms were bigger somehow.

Does the picture look like your “version” of Gondolin?

Nargothrond
“Tolkien made three illustrations of Nargothrond –four, if one includes Glórund. … All of these illustrations show three doors leading into the fortress and high hills and tree-covered lower slopes above and behind. In other respects they are quite different from one another. In [56] the entrances are visibly barred with the huge timbered doors described in the lays. In both the drawing [57] and the watercolor the doorways are correctly in the form of trilithons, pi-shaped with sloping sides. However they seem to be door-less, merely openings into the hill as in Glórund. Also, unlike [56] in these there is little attempt at concealment. In [57] Tolkien removed the centre steps to include the bridge built by Turin in the last days of Nargothrond.”

http://i156.photobucket.com/...ind/Nargothrond2.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/...ind/Nargothrond3.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/...Saelind/mirkwood.jpg

As it was discussed before, Tolkien reused elements from these pictures in his picture of Thurandil’s Halls in The Hobbit. Do any of these pictures look like what you thought the entrance of Nargothrond looked like?

Interestingly, we have pictures of Nargothrond and Gondolin but none of Menegroth.

Vale of Sirion
“The sun sinks behind the Eryd Lomin (later Ered Wethrin), the shadowy mountains in the west, opposite the rising Moon at right about the eaves of the forest. In the distance are Dor-na-Fauglith (Anfuoglith), ‘the fields of drouth, / the dusty dunes, the desert wide, and the horizon ‘the brooding cloud that hangs and lowers / on Thangorodrim’s thunderous towers’. The two birch trees in the foreground frame and emphasize the fortress on the island, above the caves hollowed out by water."

http://i156.photobucket.com/...ind/ValeofSirion.jpg

Mithrim
“This lake is mentioned in “The Book of Lost Tales but not described until later: it had ‘wide pale waters” it was ‘a great lake’, its ‘mighty waters reflect a pale image of the encircling hills’. Both the lake and the hills can be seen… the peak in the distance, left of centre is probably Thangorodrim: contemporary Sketch of the mythology implies that the hosts of Gnomes on either side of the Mithrim could see the ‘vast smokes and vapours… made and sent forth from Angband, and the smoking top of Thangorodrim...”

I like the patterned borders. I have a hard time seeing Thangorodrim in this picture.
http://i156.photobucket.com/.../Saelind/mithrim.jpg

Subject User Time
JRRT Artist and Illustrator, Chapter 2 Visons, Myths and Legends Part II Saelind Send a private message to Saelind Mar 7 2007, 12:13am
    Mithrim Daughter of Nienna Send a private message to Daughter of Nienna Mar 7 2007, 2:49am
        "only a glimpse" of all the Elven halls a.s. Send a private message to a.s. Mar 7 2007, 12:01pm
            far away Daughter of Nienna Send a private message to Daughter of Nienna Mar 8 2007, 3:02am
    Looks pretty much like Draupne Send a private message to Draupne Mar 7 2007, 6:58pm
    Did people not eat in Gondolin? N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Mar 7 2007, 7:02pm
        I like the cultivated fields Nasmith adds drogo Send a private message to drogo Mar 7 2007, 9:33pm
            That is nice. N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Mar 7 2007, 10:41pm
                Those do resemble Gondolin drogo Send a private message to drogo Mar 8 2007, 2:22am
    Not my Gondolin... weaver Send a private message to weaver Mar 7 2007, 7:16pm
        yes, nestled! Daughter of Nienna Send a private message to Daughter of Nienna Mar 7 2007, 7:48pm
            If Rivendell looked like... N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Mar 7 2007, 8:36pm
                that is Daughter of Nienna Send a private message to Daughter of Nienna Mar 7 2007, 9:30pm
        "A savage place ! as holy and enchanted" a.s. Send a private message to a.s. Mar 7 2007, 9:27pm
            Xanadu works, too -- and nice additional images! weaver Send a private message to weaver Mar 7 2007, 11:10pm
            Didn't Tolkien paint a "Xanadu"? N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Mar 7 2007, 11:43pm
                Yes, he did. Kimi Send a private message to Kimi Mar 8 2007, 1:19am
                    It appears in Chapter 2 Wynnie Send a private message to Wynnie Mar 8 2007, 1:49am
                        Oops. Kimi Send a private message to Kimi Mar 8 2007, 2:07am
                    I thought about it first!!!!!! a.s. Send a private message to a.s. Mar 8 2007, 1:51am
                        *Awards brownie points* Kimi Send a private message to Kimi Mar 8 2007, 2:06am
        I saw Tolkien's image of Gondolin before I read... N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Mar 7 2007, 11:20pm
    Gondolin, Isengard, Le Corbusier, and Speer squire Send a private message to squire Mar 9 2007, 3:58am
        Nice catch! N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Mar 9 2007, 4:14am
        who's Cobusier? Wright? Speer? a.s. Send a private message to a.s. Mar 9 2007, 11:27am
            A little background squire Send a private message to squire Mar 9 2007, 1:53pm
                oh, THAT Speer a.s. Send a private message to a.s. Mar 10 2007, 4:15pm
        "a Hitler-like obsession with scale and simplistic icons" N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Mar 10 2007, 12:31am
            "...I reach for my mouse" squire Send a private message to squire Mar 10 2007, 4:28am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.