The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
It is the last chance for Glorfindel!

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 9 2014, 2:29pm

Post #1 of 18 (1681 views)
Shortcut
It is the last chance for Glorfindel! Can't Post

Will he make it to The Battle of Five Armies?

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Oct 9 2014, 3:13pm

Post #2 of 18 (1183 views)
Shortcut
I don't think he will... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the closest we could get to having Glorfindel in TBO5A would be either a minor character or an extra playing a Mirkwood Elf who happens to share his name, although this feels unlikely.

Yes, my username is terrible.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 9 2014, 3:24pm

Post #3 of 18 (1191 views)
Shortcut
Dol Guldur or bust! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glorfindel would be more likely to show up for the White Council's assault on Dol Guldur. Even so, I wouldn't hold my breath.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 9 2014, 3:33pm

Post #4 of 18 (1145 views)
Shortcut
No. [In reply to] Can't Post

I see no need for him and also don't have the desire to see him... More character introduction. I think it is good that this movie won't need that much introductions compardd to the other five movies.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Oct 9 2014, 3:35pm)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 9 2014, 6:00pm

Post #5 of 18 (1059 views)
Shortcut
I think you have something there [In reply to] Can't Post

Dol Guldur...hmmm.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Oct 9 2014, 6:50pm

Post #6 of 18 (1012 views)
Shortcut
Highly doubt it... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we're more likely to see Elladan and Elrohir, and I doubt we will even see them.

KingTurgon
Rohan

Oct 9 2014, 7:21pm

Post #7 of 18 (991 views)
Shortcut
I thinnk [In reply to] Can't Post

that golden-haired elf on horseback with a circlet with Elrond in AUJ is meant to either be or be a nod to Glorfindel.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 9 2014, 7:35pm

Post #8 of 18 (1011 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien's legendarium vs. the films. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien wrote little about the TA 2941 assault by the White Council on Dol Guldur. We don't even know how much fighting (if any) was involved. He did write that the full might of the Council was brought against Sauron, although Gandalf's conversation with Elrond during Bilbo's return to Hobbiton suggests that the Lord of Rivendell remained behind for some reason. Perhaps he did not want all three Elven Ringbearers to be together in Sauron's presence. We know that Saruman, Gandalf and possibly Radagast were there representing the Istari. And Galadriel, Cirdan and Glorfindel for the Elves--probably several more, with Elrond's sons perhaps representing him. I tend to believe that there were some support forces as well: Galadrim, High-elves from Rivendell and the Grey Havens, and even perhaps a contingent of Dunedain Rangers.

I expect that the force representing the White Council in TH:BotFA will be much smaller and more focused.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Oct 10 2014, 12:54am

Post #9 of 18 (907 views)
Shortcut
I love him but am not expecting him. [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be a lovely surprise though.Smile

"And so they stood on the walls of the city of Gondor, and a great wind rose and blew, and their hair, raven and golden, streamed out mingling in the air."

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Oct 10 2014, 2:36am

Post #10 of 18 (892 views)
Shortcut
Nope, don't think so. [In reply to] Can't Post

That ship sailed when they opted to scrap him from LOTR and incorporate his function into Arwen's character. It would make no sense for him to show up in the prequel now when he didn't get his big moment in Fellowship.

Snowghost77
Lorien

Oct 10 2014, 5:28am

Post #11 of 18 (889 views)
Shortcut
I don't think the hobbit is even close to the last chance.... [In reply to] Can't Post

More Tolkien movies will be made sometime in the future, it's inevitable. ...too much money to be made, and film studios love franchises. At some time after Christopher Tolkien passes a host of movies will be attempted and made. It might not be 10 or even 15 years from now...but it will happen, and I'm sure Glorfindel will find his way into at least one of them. His story is too good to pass up. My opinion.
Peace.

The path of the Warrior is paved in blood, sweat, tears and ultimately death. He weeps for the fallen, bleeds for the cause, and sweats till he dies.
In memory of operation FALLEN ANGEL and the mighty Heroes of SEAL team 6, the PJ's, SOCOM aviation, and all those who fell in the Tangi Valley.
- Task force Warrior will not forget you

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 10 2014, 5:48am

Post #12 of 18 (877 views)
Shortcut
Gah, I wasn't planning to post today. lol. If he is not named, he then the Blonde Elf beside Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

at Elrond's council in Fellowship AND the one behind Elrond in Minas Tirith OFFICIALY and permenantly BECOME Glorfindel, as played by two different actors (lets just say he grew his hair, beefed up due to battle, and became happier due to the Ring's end, in the year that followed the Council meeting). At this point, it will have to do. Don't care what some cards name him, anyone who asks me is getting the, "Oh yeah, that's Glorfindel, did a lot in the book. He's sitting beside Gandalf cause they are close friends. Asfaloth is actually his horse. lmao

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 10 2014, 5:50am

Post #13 of 18 (881 views)
Shortcut
Also this. It will be about 15 years from now, but it will happen, more likely than night. For good or for evil [In reply to] Can't Post

The days of franchises based on books getting one treatment only is over, with the possible exception of the Potter Series, only because the fact that the living writer collaborated on it makes it "official" to a degree.

In Reply To
More Tolkien movies will be made sometime in the future, it's inevitable. ...too much money to be made, and film studios love franchises. At some time after Christopher Tolkien passes a host of movies will be attempted and made. It might not be 10 or even 15 years from now...but it will happen, and I'm sure Glorfindel will find his way into at least one of them. His story is too good to pass up. My opinion.
Peace.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Morthoron
Gondor

Oct 10 2014, 1:46pm

Post #14 of 18 (829 views)
Shortcut
No, unfortunately.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Ska, I don't even think Tolkien will make it to the Battle of Five Armies. Wink

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

Snowghost77
Lorien

Oct 10 2014, 7:00pm

Post #15 of 18 (800 views)
Shortcut
yep, I agree. .. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's all just a matter of time...

The path of the Warrior is paved in blood, sweat, tears and ultimately death. He weeps for the fallen, bleeds for the cause, and sweats till he dies.
In memory of operation FALLEN ANGEL and the mighty Heroes of SEAL team 6, the PJ's, SOCOM aviation, and all those who fell in the Tangi Valley.
- Task force Warrior will not forget you

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Oct 10 2014, 8:25pm

Post #16 of 18 (796 views)
Shortcut
Glorfindel is already in ROTK [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember hearing somewhere (the director's commentary?) PJ saying that the blonde elf at Aragorn's coronation is meant to be Glorfindel, even if he's not credited.

VValar
Gondor

Oct 11 2014, 12:18am

Post #17 of 18 (781 views)
Shortcut
This Elf? [In reply to] Can't Post

(left of course Smile)
I mentioned before I thought he had a 'Glorfindel' vibe to him (since I wanted him to show up at least somewhere in the LOTR series). Even if he's not meant to be Glorfindel, I can't seem him as anyone else anymore.

Here's a better version of the pic:
http://arwen-undomiel.com/...otk/RotK/RotK076.jpg

I don't suspect we'll see Glorfindel in BOFA during the battle of DG but I'd imagine him fighting alongside Elrond as a very true possibily.

If your ears aren't pointy, you're doing it wrong.

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Oct 11 2014, 3:19am

Post #18 of 18 (769 views)
Shortcut
Yup [In reply to] Can't Post

I heard somewhere that's supposed to be him.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.