Which mode do you prefer?

I'm a flat-moder myself.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 9 2014, 5:04pm

Post #2 of 32 (624 views)
Shortcut
Threaded 99.5% of the time [In reply to] Can't Post

It might be interesting to take a side poll: Were you an active member or lurker on the old boards.

For me? Yes.

I think that may be a determining factor.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Oct 9 2014, 5:04pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 9 2014, 5:11pm

Post #3 of 32 (618 views)
Shortcut
Threaded. [In reply to] Can't Post

You sometimes can't tell who's responding to whom and in the past some people have gotten extremely bent out of joint over the confusion.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 9 2014, 5:13pm

Post #4 of 32 (618 views)
Shortcut
I voted for "I use them interchangeably". [In reply to] Can't Post

Because I do. Both have their advantages (and disadvantages). In very long threads, such as Friday Fiesta I can't keep track of conversations so I switch to Threaded mode. On other boards and threads, I tend to stick to Flat Mode. But in Threaded I can't speed read what is being said. I will normally stay in Flat for The Hobbit board - mainly so I don't miss any news hidden within a really unhelpful subject title.

I usually just stick to Flat and switch to Threaded (rather than the other way around). If I broke it down to a fraction:
Flat - 75% of the time
Threaded - 25% of the time

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Oct 9 2014, 5:15pm)

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Oct 9 2014, 5:13pm

Post #5 of 32 (611 views)
Shortcut
Either, as the situation demands. [In reply to] Can't Post

Flat-mode is good for a linear sort of discussion with one topic, and it allows me to quickly scan a thread. When we get several sub-threads (or distracted by exercises in silliness or wit Wink), then Threaded-mode makes following one distinct line of conversation much, MUCH easier. Threaded is also great for organising and responding to Mad-libs and contests. It keeps the answers and spoilers hidden, but allows the Lib-bers to know what is already taken.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 9 2014, 5:33pm

Post #6 of 32 (602 views)
Shortcut
Threaded board view, flat discussion view. [In reply to] Can't Post

Flat is very handy for when I'm reading discussion quickly.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Oct 9 2014, 6:44pm

Post #7 of 32 (607 views)
Shortcut
The site was designed for threaded use... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and it works better here. It's much easier to reply to the post you mean to reply to, as sub-threads develop in a conversation. I use other sites that are designed for flat mode, and I understand that is more common, but threaded has always been part of the TORn "culture" and that's what works best here, IMO.

The site was also designed with an emphasis on subject lines, to help you pick which posts in a thread you want to read if you're pressed for time, which many of are. When people who are not accustomed to this practice use dummy subject lines, it makes the browsing experience harder.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Oct 9 2014, 8:01pm

Post #8 of 32 (590 views)
Shortcut
Threaded, mostly [In reply to] Can't Post

But then, I generally only jump in to one particular post or sub-thread these days. I'll switch to Flat to see the whole conversation for things like Fiesta, but I generally stick to Threaded.

dubulous
Rohan

Oct 9 2014, 10:02pm

Post #9 of 32 (591 views)
Shortcut
Flat [In reply to] Can't Post

I find the flat mode more user friendly because I can just scroll through each thread and see the posts without having to click them all individually. I only occasionally switch to threaded briefly if I want to check which post some other post is responding to.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Oct 9 2014, 10:59pm

Post #10 of 32 (583 views)
Shortcut
I use them interchangeably. [In reply to] Can't Post

I start threaded, to get an idea of the flow of the conversation . If I decide I want to read all the posts in the thread, I then go to flat.

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 10 2014, 1:31am

Post #11 of 32 (562 views)
Shortcut
Almost always flat [In reply to] Can't Post

My internet connection in the past wasn't very reliable, so I have the habit to get as many posts as possible in one click. Plus, I don't find it a problem for me to click on the linked 'in reply to' part near the subject lines, if I *am* uncertain of the conversation.

95% flat
5% threaded (almost always the Mad-libs)

Dwarewien
Rohan

Oct 10 2014, 1:33am

Post #12 of 32 (570 views)
Shortcut
Flat... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's easier to read and it's what I'm used to from other discussion forums. If I'm replying to someone directly, I'll quote them first.Smile

Kim
Valinor

Oct 10 2014, 3:16am

Post #13 of 32 (565 views)
Shortcut
I use them interchangeably [In reply to] Can't Post

although my default is threaded as I prefer to read posts in order and follow conversations. I'll switch to flat mode to skim through more quickly, especially if there aren't a lot of tangents, or there are a ton of responses in a short period of time, like the new TH poster threads. But when I respond, I always do it from threaded mode.

Cirashala
Valinor

Oct 10 2014, 4:25am

Post #14 of 32 (560 views)
Shortcut
I am curious what your "other" could possibly be, as it's one or the other ;P [In reply to] Can't Post

As for my vote, I view flat mode.

The reason for it is that you can end up seeing other conversations that are very interesting, can give you ideas you haven't yet had before that haven't come up in your personal conversations, and it makes it MUCH easier to read, IMO. Plus, for subject lines (kind of like mine on this one lol) they may not always be completely relevant to the body of the post (or maybe just references one part of the post, not latter parts).

I think that viewing in threaded (which I painstakingly did before I figured out how to switch it to flat- and never looked back) can really limit perspectives, because you often only see the contents of ONE conversation, when another conversation may have the answer to your question/a factor you haven't considered/etc. And you have to keep clicking your back arrow to go back to a post and view the next one. It can make it quite tedious (and when your internet ends up being spotty, as happens to all of us on occasion, you can easily forget about stuff while fighting with the computer and wireless router and modem just to get back to the computer and go "What the heck was this about, again?" (yes, this is a circumstance that happens with me a couple times a month in terms of the router/modem/etc being a turkey butt- windstorm/fried squirrel/trees and power lines, etc can all drop my cable internet Evil)).

So I prefer flat mode so that I can see all the conversations, rather than deal with the hangups mentioned above.

Plus, if I wish to follow a conversation, the "in reply to" link can easily allow me to jump from each post in the conversation so that I can see where it went Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 10 2014, 5:03am

Post #15 of 32 (574 views)
Shortcut
Flat and proud [In reply to] Can't Post

I could count on my flat fingers how many times I've used threaded.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 10 2014, 8:26am

Post #16 of 32 (553 views)
Shortcut
I can think of a couple of answers [In reply to] Can't Post

"I used to use flat/threaded, but have since converted to threaded/flat"
"None of your business!" Tongue

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Oct 10 2014, 8:28am)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 10 2014, 8:27am

Post #17 of 32 (533 views)
Shortcut
*snort* // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Oct 10 2014, 12:37pm

Post #18 of 32 (549 views)
Shortcut
But you see, that's how you ended up replying to me accidentally. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It's easier to read and it's what I'm used to from other discussion forums. If I'm replying to someone directly, I'll quote them first.Smile

I got an e-mail notification that someone had replied to my post, and when I came here, I could see that you really meant to reply to the original poster. That's why when I am posting in a thread, as opposed to just reading posts, I use threaded mode, because flat mode leads to errors like this one.

Annael
Immortal

Oct 10 2014, 3:31pm

Post #19 of 32 (569 views)
Shortcut
what she said. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Meneldor
Valinor

Oct 14 2014, 11:11pm

Post #20 of 32 (500 views)
Shortcut
Flat. [In reply to] Can't Post

If I get confused, a tap of the "in reply to" button clears things up.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Oct 15 2014, 6:34pm

Post #21 of 32 (477 views)
Shortcut
Threaded, always [In reply to] Can't Post

Works better for keeping track of the side discussion and who's replying to who, IMO.

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 16 2014, 5:13am

Post #22 of 32 (560 views)
Shortcut
I might start up a Flat Board Society [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyone keen? Cool

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 16 2014, 8:33am

Post #23 of 32 (463 views)
Shortcut
*raises (flat) hand* // [In reply to] Can't Post

Meneldor
Valinor

Oct 16 2014, 7:56pm

Post #24 of 32 (450 views)
Shortcut
Don't fall off the edge. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 17 2014, 3:47am

Post #25 of 32 (446 views)
Shortcut
If that is a yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

then we might have enough for a quorum! Cool
You can be the one to help us stay away from the edge.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.