First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 7 2014, 3:11am

Post #101 of 209 (9027 views)
Shortcut
     ROFL!!! [In reply to]  

Great cliff notes thereWink

Fan of both books and movies; I am a lurker by nature though it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Thranduil Appreciation
Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XVI
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare! Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 7 2014, 3:19am

Post #102 of 209 (9046 views)
Shortcut
     Yay FEAST! [In reply to]  

And also: Found it, that FEAST! mention i was looking for for the lexicon and the imagesLaugh

Fan of both books and movies; I am a lurker by nature though it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XVI

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare! Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 7 2014, 3:39am

Post #103 of 209 (9039 views)
Shortcut
     Some more Silmmie related stuff and Thranduil/Oropher/Thingol fanart [spoilery] [In reply to]  

So vanima's put a few Silm/TH resonance on the "Nature Of Evil" CHOW. Since a few of us here are doing the Silm readalong, I thought to port it over for reference and discussion:

**spoilers for Chapter 19 of the Silm ahead**

Early in the Beren and Luthien story, Morgoth lets Beren's father, Gorlim, believe that Beren's mother is alive, suffering as one of his captives, and agrees to unite Gorlim with her and set them both free if he'll give up the location of his band of warriors. After Gorlim does so, Morgoth confesses that she's been dead all along, but he'll grant Gorlim's prayer and unite them anyway. *morgoth kills gorlim*

Near the end of the story, Beren, who told Thingol "my hand shall hold a Silmaril" when he left on his quest and says "Even now a Silmaril is in my hand," when he returns to Menegroth, has to admit that his hand is no longer attached to his body (a werewolf had bitten it off with the Silmaril in it) and Thingol won't actually be possessing any jewels as a result. *beren disappoints thingol*

Neither of these are puns (I really have no memory to speak of), they're more what I'd call wiseacre/wise-ass comments, so they're both similar to Thranduil's movieverse comment on the surface (though one uses an outright lie and one does some serious stretching of the truth). So, is our Elvenking Morgoth-like or Beren-like? That depends on whether or not you think he intended to kill Narzug when he stated "I will set you free."

Let's take a poll! Tongue (Of course, I still think it's a call back for Thingol.)

And for relevance. These are probably not new to any Thrall by now, but I'm liking the Thranduil with silvery hair concept though more Oropher/Thingol perhaps?

His people gathered about him in joy, and they were amazed; for fair and noble as he had been, now he appeared as if it were a lord of the Maiar, his hair as grey silver, tallest of all the Children of Illuvatar, and a high doom was before him.
- Chapter 5: "Of Eldamar And The Princes Of The Eldalie", Quenta Silmarillion

(Slight OT: I eat my words - Thranduil does appear in the Silmarillion, all of twice on the same page for the part "Of The Rings Of Power And The Third Age", but nothing new or momentous Blush)

=======

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Oct 7 2014, 3:56am

Post #104 of 209 (9053 views)
Shortcut
     Oh, Lurker! That reminds me! [In reply to]  

The pics of the Thralls being flattened (LOL!) reminded me...
I went on tumblr this weekend and showed my mom that funny "news report" that you wrote about MASS and MASSAS and my mom said to tell you that she loves it!Heart She and I have often joked about Thranduil fans fainting in the aisles of the theater at the sheer fabulousness of the Elven King, so she got a really good laugh out of the "MASS phenomenon" and wanted you to know that she thinks it was really creative and well done!Cool
Just thought I'd tell you that before I logged off for the night and forgot again.Blush

"Home is behind the world ahead
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade"

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 7 2014, 4:47am

Post #105 of 209 (9025 views)
Shortcut
     Oh yes... [In reply to]  

long before he was cast in TH, in fact. My admiration for Lee Pace is by no means limited to Thranduil. Smile

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

mariel
Lorien

Oct 7 2014, 7:26am

Post #106 of 209 (9006 views)
Shortcut
     Love it! [In reply to]  

LaughHeart is it one you made yourself?

mariel
Lorien

Oct 7 2014, 7:29am

Post #107 of 209 (9039 views)
Shortcut
     LOL! [In reply to]  

Brilliant. That pic of Bofur made me laugh out loud - so apt. Laugh

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 7 2014, 10:26am

Post #108 of 209 (8996 views)
Shortcut
     *yay* can't wait! [In reply to]  

Though I do believe I'm coming out of this on the better side of the bargain just cos I only have the one vague "surprise" while you got definitive deliverables SmileAngelic

Safe travels and happy trails! We'll thud your share of the appreciation in the meantimeWink

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 7 2014, 10:34am

Post #109 of 209 (9008 views)
Shortcut
     *blush* thank you very much [In reply to]  

To your mum for her excellent review Smile *happy dance*

And to you for remembering to pass the message amidst the frenzy of your "battle"

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Oct 7 2014, 10:49am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 7 2014, 10:45am

Post #110 of 209 (9018 views)
Shortcut
     That's Just Cool! [In reply to]  

Mind to share what else you've admired him in?Smile

Must give you a chuckle seeing the pre-TH stuff posted like we're discovering the best things since sliced bread. Blush

=======

Kerewyn
Rohan

Oct 7 2014, 11:11am

Post #111 of 209 (8984 views)
Shortcut
     Image responses [In reply to]  

Did you know it's from this (slightly) larger image

I knew I had seen it before! But I didn’t put two and two together. Now that makes the expression in his eyes even more poignant, the actual physical pain being expressed, along with relief at having shielded his lady. *oh the feels! CrazyFrown*

Epic collective thrall flattening

Brilliant! Yep, that is exactly what I was imagining. Thralls thudding enmasse. Cool

"Thou speakest of thralldom. If thralldom it be, thou canst not escape it..."

Kerewyn
Rohan

Oct 7 2014, 11:21am

Post #112 of 209 (9009 views)
Shortcut
     "I think I'm quite ready for another adventure" (IIRC that quote...) [In reply to]  

Safe travels and happy trails! We'll thud your share of the appreciation in the meantime

Thank you!

Adios then, fellow Thralls!
I'm off in a matter of hours - OK 24 hours to be precise, before my flight to Dubai (then on to Johannesburg a day later), but I doubt I'll have time to look in here tomorrow. (but you never know)

Miss you already - suffering Tolkien withdrawal already!

See you in early November, when hopefully there'll be a new trailer to discuss, and an EE not far off.

*waves pocket handkerchief*

SmileSmileSmileHeartHeartHeart

"Thou speakest of thralldom. If thralldom it be, thou canst not escape it..."

vanima ephel
Rivendell

Oct 7 2014, 10:22pm

Post #113 of 209 (8971 views)
Shortcut
     I'll put my correction and addendem here. **SILM SPOILERS** [In reply to]  

I mixed up Barahir and Gorlim in the first instance: Gorlim was just one of the warriors; Morgoth kills Beren's dad - Barahir - with the rest of the warriors after Gorlim tells him where to look.

And after chasing down the monster that swallowed Beren's Silmaril-holding hand, Thingol does get that Silmaril. (Beren is part of the hunting party, but he took a hit for Thingol and went down hard, it was actually a friendly beast who killed the monster and two of Thingol's captains who dug the jewel out of the monster and put it in Beren' remaining hand so Thingol could then take it and call Beren's quest fulfilled.)

~~~

I vote Beren-like, because I don't think he planned to kill Narzug, I think it was a horrified emotional response (PTSD) to information he did not expect to get from the orc. (Without references to "our time" and "the one" and "the fires of war" I think the worst Narzug would have seen was the inside of a cell.)

After all, we know...

**spoilers for BO5A (if they stick to the book on this bit)**

Thranduil will have a change of heart on his foreign policy and he'll show himself as one of the Good Guys. Though, I don't know how easy it will be for viewers who are unaware of his past (buried as it is in The History of Middle Earth, the LotR Appendicies, and in one(?) mention in the text of the LotR story) to look at some of the things he's done and said and accept the change as believable. I HOPE the movie sells it, but I'm worried they'll give it short shrift. :-/

"I dissent, even at the risk of being held incorrect or not sober."

(This post was edited by vanima ephel on Oct 7 2014, 10:32pm)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 7 2014, 10:47pm

Post #114 of 209 (8966 views)
Shortcut
     Well..... [In reply to]  

I think Pushing Daisies was the first thing I saw him in. I heard about it when it was first on, but the plot description didn't sound like my sort of thing so I didn't watch it then...but later on, after having heard so many people talk about how much they loved it, I checked it out and found out what I'd been missing. It turns out I'd been missing quite a lot, well over six feet, in fact. Wink

Then I went looking for other things the delightful and attractive Pieman had been in, and watched The Fall. It's memorable and inventive, but I can see why it's sort of a cult thing - it's like several different movies all rolled into one and really long, but the lovely Mr. Pace was very good indeed in it.

Then I moved on to Wonderfalls, which I know a lot of people love the same way they love Pushing Daisies, but it just didn't appeal to me...that is, the main character and storyline didn't, and there wasn't enough of him to balance it out for me. I didn't finish the series, someday I may go back to it just to be completist about it.

Second to Ned, I think I have the most fondness for Michael from Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day. He plays the piano, he sings, he's devoted, and just generally, er, lovely to have around. If Sarah Grubb doesn't want him.....Heart

When I heard that PJ had wanted to work with him ever since seeing The Fall, it didn't surprise me at all. And PJ has a great knack for casting, so he wisely waited until he found just the right role. I had a similar reaction when I heard of the Thranduil casting as I did when I heard about Ian McKellen as Gandalf's - I knew of him before though he had never occurred to me as an option but I was excited because it was exactly right. He's quite gorgeous as the Elvenking, and quite the most Tolkien Elf we've had. I can't wait to see him in action in BOFA. Cool

Must give you a chuckle seeing the pre-TH stuff posted like we're discovering the best things since sliced bread.

Well, sliced bread is pretty awesome whenever you discover it, is my perspective. And much better late than never. Never would just be sad.

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

VValar
Gondor

Oct 7 2014, 11:31pm

Post #115 of 209 (8945 views)
Shortcut
     Have lots of fun! [In reply to]  

Have lots of fun on your journey Kerewyn! It's too bad we have to miss you for almost a month but we'll keep the TA alive so you'll have lots of catching up to do when you get back home Smile And let's hope the new trailer will be out before you get back (surely?) so we'll have heaps to discuss and enough Pretty! to keep us going until DOS EE and BOFA.

Save flight(s) and trip, don't forget to take lots of pictures Cool

Thranduil's look if shock when he heard you were leaving:

Thranduil's look of when he's hearing you came back from your month of TA absence HeartHeart Oef, if that doesn't make you want to come back, I don't know what will Sly

If your ears aren't pointy, you're doing it wrong.

VValar
Gondor

Oct 7 2014, 11:36pm

Post #116 of 209 (8945 views)
Shortcut
     LOL [In reply to]  

Yup, that looks about right. If only we looked as adorable as that kittyHeart he would not be able to refuse us clinging onto his robe.

VValar
Gondor

Oct 7 2014, 11:41pm

Post #117 of 209 (8951 views)
Shortcut
     Interesting thought [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Though I'm curious on the mechanics of how the Elves would permit what trees the Men and others take and the manner of the taking.

Would they have any say in what trees Men would cut you reckon?
And there don't seem to be much wood in any of the structures we see in the Halls in Mirkwood, more stone than anything else. Even the bridges don't have any wooden structure in it.

So I'm guessing the Wood Elves aren't too keen on chopping down any tree.

VValar
Gondor

Oct 7 2014, 11:42pm

Post #118 of 209 (8963 views)
Shortcut
     Hmmm weird [In reply to]  

I see what you mean, the img doesn't work but the link does. It appeared to be working just fine when I clicked on preview before posting it Mad

VValar
Gondor

Oct 7 2014, 11:50pm

Post #119 of 209 (8934 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks for the shortcut explanation [In reply to]  

Oh and how about a little bit of FLAST (Flustered Leggy AND Sassy Thranduil) where Legolas learns the correct manner on how to address his King

(...................................................)

VValar
Gondor

Oct 7 2014, 11:58pm

Post #120 of 209 (8945 views)
Shortcut
     King Legolas? [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Yeah. But then, from his own experienceUnsure, I believe Thranduil would have made sure Legolas got the best training possible to take care of himself and take over should anything happen to Thranduil - he wouldn't leave it to chance.

Can't think of that right now, such a sad thought Unimpressed Unsure But I think you're right. Thranduil is too smart to leave anything to chance.
Luckily we know exactly how things will work out in BOFA for Thranduil. He's such a skilled fighter that of course he won't get hurt and neither will his son, physically at least.

VValar
Gondor

Oct 8 2014, 12:03am

Post #121 of 209 (8923 views)
Shortcut
     Thrandfully [In reply to]  

Oh I thought it meant the same as Thankfully, only with our beloved HeartElven King'sHeart name in it. As in:
Thrandfully it's Friday.
Thrandfully these pants still fit.
Thrandfully that Orc is dead.
Are you feeling it? Angelic

VValar
Gondor

Oct 8 2014, 12:08am

Post #122 of 209 (8924 views)
Shortcut
     Hehe favourite scene of DOS [In reply to]  

HeartHeartHeart

VValar
Gondor

Oct 8 2014, 12:12am

Post #123 of 209 (8932 views)
Shortcut
     Wow great job finding FEAST [In reply to]  

Can't believe you actually found it Smile
A little pic as to show you my appreciation

And re Thranduil's drinking habit, LOL Evil never get's old.

VValar
Gondor

Oct 8 2014, 12:14am

Post #124 of 209 (8931 views)
Shortcut
     Unfortunately [In reply to]  

I don't know how to make gif's. Luckily I do know how to find them Sly

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 8 2014, 2:21am

Post #125 of 209 (8902 views)
Shortcut
     *waves* ENJOY! [In reply to]  

In Reply To
See you in early November, when hopefully there'll be a new trailer to discuss, and an EE not far off.

Yes! And we'll be waiting to hear about your adventuresSmile

=======

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.