The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The use of musical cues in the Hobbit vs LOTR - Shire theme

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Oct 7 2014, 8:11pm

Post #1 of 4 (454 views)
Shortcut
The use of musical cues in the Hobbit vs LOTR - Shire theme Can't Post

I came across something while I was listening to the LOTR soundtrack a while back and it was confirmed again today while giving it another listen.

I've noticed that throughout the entire LOTR trilogy there are a pretty good amount of moments where Frodo and Sam take a second or two to remember the Shire while the music plays in the background. These moments could be very subtle or very upfront. They seem to be pretty common, especially in FOTR.

I find these moments to be truly emotional and very realistic. In the midst of battles, chases, and conversation, Peter is able to show the audience what Frodo and Sam (as well as Pip and Merry) are feeling. They just want to be back in the comfort of their own home. They wish they could just blink and be back in Hobbiton smoking their pipe and drinking some ale. But instead, they have to face the deadly force of Sauron and his army.

The musical cues are surprisingly very common and useful in LOTR, but, off the top of my head, are very rare in the Hobbit films, if at all. I may be wrong, but they are barely used. Why do you think they would change that? Could it be a "broken record" kind of thing? Or did they just forget? Maybe there are a few moments that I forgot about, so hopefully someone will point that out if that's the case.

Every time the camera goes up close on Frodo while the Shire theme plays, and he has a very pale look on his face, it really makes me tear up and get emotional. You really feel for him. In the Hobbit films, I love Bilbo (and Martin) but I don't get hardly any of those kinds of feelings like I did with Frodo and Sam.

Thoughts? And again, please correct me if I'm wrong, I maybe missed some of these moments without realizing it.

"Only, you've never done a hard day's work." - Merry

(This post was edited by Misty Mountain Hop on Oct 7 2014, 8:14pm)

Faleel
Rohan

Oct 7 2014, 8:19pm

Post #2 of 4 (277 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of the scenes of "remembering the shire" are scored with either one of Bilbo's themes, or the Shire theme.

In the AUJ film some of the Bilbo theme moments were replaced with tracked material and revised cues.

Also, there are not too many "remembering the shire" scenes and the relationship dynamic between Frodo and Sam is (for obvious reasons) absent

schadowfax
The Shire

Oct 7 2014, 8:19pm

Post #3 of 4 (265 views)
Shortcut
ROTK [In reply to] Can't Post

good spot! yeah i noticed these scattered throughout, shore really goes for the heart. the scene in ROTK where gandalf is comforting pippin with tales of white shores you hear the grey havens/into the west theme, its beautiful... the stakes arent that high in the hobbit and it's a lighter tone AND perhaps pj and shore are aware of the fact that we're not entirely invested in any of the characters to feel their pain etc

(This post was edited by schadowfax on Oct 7 2014, 8:23pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 7 2014, 10:11pm

Post #4 of 4 (254 views)
Shortcut
The emotion surrounding Bilbo isn't quite the same... [In reply to] Can't Post

He'd like to be back home, of course, but unlike Frodo he isn't on a hopless mission to what looks like certain death, and the fate of the world doesn't hang on him. So his wishing for home is less powerful - unlike Frodo, he does expect to go back (and we know he will from the opening of the film).

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.