First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 2 2014, 12:57pm

Post #176 of 210 (5336 views)
Shortcut
     Yeah [In reply to]  

That's what led me to thinking about the Orome angleTongue

Fan of both books and movies; I am a lurker by nature though it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Thranduil Appreciation
Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XV
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare! Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 2 2014, 1:00pm

Post #177 of 210 (5314 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks for the sanity check and user testing [In reply to]  

Oy vey! don't understand why that FEAST of Elrond can't be located eh? I swear it was in the last threadCrazy

In Reply To
Bubba: can't find Bubba Unsure

Eh, that's Eruvandi's answer to my question on why Bubba? Makes sense?

In Reply To
Thranduil has a question for you. I would want to know what question he has Tongue

Heehee... RAPT attention all round I'd hope

In Reply To
Woodland Weekend: Check (would really like to see one of them coming by Angelic)

Gotta be a weekendSmile

Fan of both books and movies; I am a lurker by nature though it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XV

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare! Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 2 2014, 1:02pm

Post #178 of 210 (5310 views)
Shortcut
     Heh [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Yeah but he lives up to them pretty well, don't you think? Wink

Actually I was referring to Leggy's suggestion to Aragorn to wash his hairTongueAngelic

LOL... you're really getting into the Party King spirit! Go, VValar!

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 2 2014, 1:04pm

Post #179 of 210 (5344 views)
Shortcut
     *blush* Thanks [In reply to]  

I don't know... depends on the inspiration and how much longer TA runs Smile Signed copies all round if it comes to passLaugh

ETA: page 8 = homestretch... on our way to threadtipping again

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Oct 2 2014, 1:13pm)

ltnjmy
Rivendell

Oct 2 2014, 1:27pm

Post #180 of 210 (5266 views)
Shortcut
     awesome analysis [In reply to]  

and very thoughtful. Thanks.Wink

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 2 2014, 1:34pm

Post #181 of 210 (5304 views)
Shortcut
     These links may be of interest to you as well [In reply to]  

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Elf-fathers
and
http://tolkiengateway.net/...akening_of_the_Elves

They take their information from Quendi and Eldar, part four of The War of the Jewels (HOME XI).

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 2 2014, 1:48pm

Post #182 of 210 (5288 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks for reading [In reply to]  

And your patienceSmile

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 2 2014, 1:54pm

Post #183 of 210 (5314 views)
Shortcut
     oooh.... so interesting, thanks! [In reply to]  

Have heard about the 3 who awoke first, but did not know the originals were all paired already. So Thingol might potentially be the first ever Teleri elf baby eh?
Raises another question; how come its not the first three who went to Valinor? Why Ingwe, Finwe, Elwe?

=======

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 2 2014, 2:43pm

Post #184 of 210 (5286 views)
Shortcut
     IIRC... [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Raises another question; how come its not the first three who went to Valinor? Why Ingwe, Finwe, Elwe?

The first three did not have any interest in going on such an adventure West. The '-we' trio were more of the actual leaders who, in theory, wanted to see Valinor with their own eyes. I say in theory due to Thingol. Wink

I don't have the texts handy to confirm that or provide quotes. I don't *think* I'm horribly off the mark with it. Sorry...but I do remember it being referenced somewhere in the RR within the last year or so.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 2 2014, 2:50pm

Post #185 of 210 (5283 views)
Shortcut
     Well... [In reply to]  

Cuivienyarna (the tale of Imin, Tata and Enel) is considered to be a legend only.

On one copy my father wrote (and similarly but more briefly on the other): 'Actually written (in style and simple notions) to be a surviving Elvish "fairytale" or child's tale, mingled with counting-lore.'
(Appendix: The legend of the Awaking of the Quendi (Cuivienyarna), Quendi and Eldar, The War of the Jewels)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 2 2014, 2:53pm

Post #186 of 210 (5314 views)
Shortcut
     Was the choice the Elves? [In reply to]  

Interesting the first 3 chose not to go. In the Silm, it is Orome who selected the Elven reps. So did tbe -we trio nominate themselves to him? Gotta wondee how about the rest of the 144 original pairs who awoken...

If you remember the discussion thread in rr, hope you'll come back and share.

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 2 2014, 2:55pm

Post #187 of 210 (5318 views)
Shortcut
     Ah... [In reply to]  

Thanks for that.

=======

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 2 2014, 3:00pm

Post #188 of 210 (5283 views)
Shortcut
     I think. [In reply to]  

I think they were chosen by Orome because of their leadership/willingness to go. Also factor in that Morgoth got to them first, before Orome. That might influence one to leave.

Again, I don't want to make a false claim. I'll jump into the RR later today and see if I can find what I'm thinking of.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 2 2014, 3:01pm

Post #189 of 210 (5272 views)
Shortcut
     You might also consider raising this question in the RR for a more thorough answer [In reply to]  

This is all new information for me as well.

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 2 2014, 3:04pm

Post #190 of 210 (5296 views)
Shortcut
     Very good point. [In reply to]  

Edit: I see Elthir popping in a few threads up. Let us hope that our presence may *not* go unnoticed.

(This post was edited by cats16 on Oct 2 2014, 3:06pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 2 2014, 3:13pm

Post #191 of 210 (5249 views)
Shortcut
     I immediately thought of him as well [In reply to]  

Fingers crossed!

mariel
Lorien

Oct 2 2014, 6:42pm

Post #192 of 210 (5307 views)
Shortcut
     A bit more fan art [In reply to]  

VValar
Gondor

Oct 2 2014, 8:21pm

Post #193 of 210 (5270 views)
Shortcut
     Beautiful Fanart !! [In reply to]  

Wauw, the first one Heart I found it this morning as well and decided to post it this evening but you beat me to it Cool

Here's an even bigger clicky of it (cause all the Pretty! needs to be in as much HR as we can possibly get our hands on)

VValar
Gondor

Oct 2 2014, 8:33pm

Post #194 of 210 (5265 views)
Shortcut
     Oooee I know this! [In reply to]  

In Reply To

I wanted to know more about the Vanyar, so I recently read the following about Ingwë/Vanyar. And it answers your question as well.

When the Elves were discovered by Oromë, each clan chose an ambassador to return with him to Valinor to verify his claims of its greatness. The Minyar (Imin's companions) sent Ingwë. Upon his return, his people were swayed by his testimony and adopted him as their king (appropriate, as the name Ingwë means chieftain in Quenya), and he led them with Oromë to Aman. Ingwë has since been reckoned the High King of all Elves, and became known as Ingwë Ingweron, the "Chief of Chieftains", and his people were known by the rest of the Eldar as the Vanyar.

VValar
Gondor

Oct 2 2014, 8:43pm

Post #195 of 210 (5256 views)
Shortcut
     Thnx for the links, great read. [In reply to]  

This is also interesting regarding the topic as to why these three Elves went to Valinor.

Melkor was the first to learn of the Awakening. He soon began sending evil spirits among the Elves, who planted seeds of doubt against the Valar. It is also rumoured that some of the Elves were being captured by a Rider if they strayed too far, and as later turned out these were brought to Utumno and twisted into Orcs.

Oromë one day came across the Elves, and realized who they were. At first the Elves were suspicious of him, fearing he was the Rider who captured the Elves, and because of the lies of Melkor. Nevertheless, three lords of the Elves agreed to come with Oromë to Valinor. These were Ingwë of the Minyar (later Vanyar), Finwë of the Tatyar (later Ñoldor), and Elwë of the Lindar.

VValar
Gondor

Oct 2 2014, 8:46pm

Post #196 of 210 (5225 views)
Shortcut
     Lexicon changes [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Eh, that's Eruvandi's answer to my question on why Bubba? Makes sense?

Ah I get it now Laugh

In Reply To
Gotta be a weekendSmile

*Checks calendar* only one more day Angelic

In Reply To

Oy vey! don't understand why that FEAST of Elrond can't be located eh? I swear it was in the last threadCrazy

Didn't FEAST come before FEASTING? I searched through the topic before FEASTING was invented, without any luck.

(This post was edited by VValar on Oct 2 2014, 8:47pm)

VValar
Gondor

Oct 2 2014, 8:58pm

Post #197 of 210 (5268 views)
Shortcut
     I do my best [In reply to]  

In Reply To
LOL... you're really getting into the Party King spirit! Go, VValar!

Cool

That reminds me of this other very funny pic of Legolas. Without any Party King but I just had to LOL at Legolas' expression

VValar
Gondor

Oct 2 2014, 9:09pm

Post #198 of 210 (5221 views)
Shortcut
     Silm cover [In reply to]  

In Reply To

Heh it never gets old does it?

Liking your cover Smile Looks like an early editon?
(I think I might just go for this one http://s.s-bol.com/...9200000023460179.jpg) Heart

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 2 2014, 9:13pm

Post #199 of 210 (5244 views)
Shortcut
     Yeah, Tolkien Gateway is great for when you need to look something up quickly [In reply to]  

So are One Wiki to Rule Them All and The Encyclopedia of Arda.

VValar
Gondor

Oct 2 2014, 9:14pm

Post #200 of 210 (5235 views)
Shortcut
     Ooohhh a new piccie [In reply to]  

Hadn't seen this one before, with Thranduil smiling on top of his mighty throne Heart Yes it's a great way to cheer up the gloomy mood and bring something new to the table as well (to me at least Smile)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.