Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I hope the trailer will arrive this Tuesday...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Peterthorn of Rohan
Rivendell

Oct 2 2014, 12:28pm

Post #1 of 30 (2234 views)
Shortcut
I hope the trailer will arrive this Tuesday... Can't Post

Dracula Untold starring Luke Evans is hitting US cinemas on the 9th of October. I think it is quite possible that the second hobbit trailer is going to be attached to this film. What do you think?

tsmith675
Gondor

Oct 2 2014, 12:59pm

Post #2 of 30 (1161 views)
Shortcut
I hope we do! [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'm not holding my breath. I'm not getting too excited too early, like I did for the teaser.

Our destiny lies above us.

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 2 2014, 1:04pm

Post #3 of 30 (1238 views)
Shortcut
Alberta ratings site? [In reply to] Can't Post

...No.
BBFC? No.

No trailer to be expected any time soon.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 2 2014, 1:05pm

Post #4 of 30 (1228 views)
Shortcut
Doubtful [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless a rating pops up today or tomorrow, I would say definately no.

I think the most important release they would want to play the trailer in front of would be Interstellar and after that Mockingjay. The only two really big movies coming out before Bot5A.

Dracula Untold is in a lot of danger of totally bombing both critically and at the Box Office. It won't be important for TH trailer to play in front of that movie.

We all can only guess but I personally do not expect the trailer to be released over the next two weeks.

An online release during the last week of October and a cinema release with Interstellar would be the way I would do it, personally.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Oct 2 2014, 1:08pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 2 2014, 1:11pm

Post #5 of 30 (1142 views)
Shortcut
Dracula [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope it does well. I think it looks like a pretty fun movie.

Peterthorn of Rohan
Rivendell

Oct 2 2014, 1:13pm

Post #6 of 30 (1146 views)
Shortcut
Although I agree regarding Interstellar... [In reply to] Can't Post

It will be too late to release the second trailer. Also Peter Jackson said that we should expect it to arrive in October...

tsmith675
Gondor

Oct 2 2014, 1:15pm

Post #7 of 30 (1170 views)
Shortcut
The film that a trailer plays in front of... [In reply to] Can't Post

Really doesn't make that much of a difference anymore. 99% of people that will see the trailer in the theater have already seen in online. I mean was the teaser even attached to anything? I know I saw it in front of Guardians of the Galaxy, but I know a lot of people didn't see it with that.

Our destiny lies above us.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 2 2014, 1:18pm

Post #8 of 30 (1121 views)
Shortcut
I didn't say it will be like that... [In reply to] Can't Post

... just that I would do it this way. Plus, a cinema release with Interstellar wouldn't make it impossible to still release it online in October.

No idea why it would be too late.

Interstellar just released the first trailer (only one month before release) in which at least the rough storyline can be predicted from.

TH is established already, no original material such as Interstellar. It is important to get the people excited who watched the first two (and remind them of the franchise) and those who watch the two big blockbusters before it releases - Interstellar and Mockingjay.

I don't see how a trailer release now or by mid-October would make any difference in terms of BO-numbers.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Oct 2 2014, 1:19pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 2 2014, 1:24pm

Post #9 of 30 (1126 views)
Shortcut
99%... no. [In reply to] Can't Post

The regular movie-goer who doesn't have that much investment in movies and this particular franchise wouldn't necessarily see it online before.

A lot of people out there who go to the movies but usually do not look for such things online - especially as the Hobbit audience spans a much wider age-range than many other movies, with groups in there that are not too internet-savvy.

It would be a big marketing loss for TH if its trailer does not run before Interstellar and Mockingjay... especially in North-America. These two movies will have wide age ranges in the cinema seats... and a lot of excitement. Those will be the moments many people and groups might decide and say "Yeah, looks cool. We will watch that one as well."

(This post was edited by Arannir on Oct 2 2014, 1:26pm)

Peterthorn of Rohan
Rivendell

Oct 2 2014, 1:26pm

Post #10 of 30 (1089 views)
Shortcut
Wrong.. [In reply to] Can't Post

A full length trailer for interstellar was released back in May.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 2 2014, 1:28pm

Post #11 of 30 (1083 views)
Shortcut
Calm down. [In reply to] Can't Post

I never talked about the first full length trailer. I spoke about the first trailer one can actually deduce the major plotline from.

Of course Interstellar had more and earlier teasers and trailers... as I said before, it is original material.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Oct 2 2014, 1:28pm)

Peterthorn of Rohan
Rivendell

Oct 2 2014, 1:40pm

Post #12 of 30 (1057 views)
Shortcut
Not upset. [In reply to] Can't Post

And since you say that of course there have been teasers and trailers for Interstellar, shouldn't there be any trailers for BOFA in the next week or two? In two months it hits cinemas and there is no buzz. Interstellar and Hunger Games have a lot more promotion stuff on the other hand.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 2 2014, 1:48pm

Post #13 of 30 (1043 views)
Shortcut
As I said... [In reply to] Can't Post

... Interstellar is an original story. It needs more build-up.

I agree that Mockingjay has a much larger campaign - though its only trailer also released only approx. 2 months before release.

I suspect they know that - in North-America - there is not much chance in competing for publicity with Mockingjay. It will be much bigger in the USA than Bot5A... maybe that is one of the reasons TH starts a week later in the US than in its biggest European markets (where THG isn't as popular).

That is why I believe it will be important to have the trailer play in front of as many Interstellar and Mockingjay screenings as possible and get many of these viewers to also buy Hobbit tickets and let the attention and marketing peak in the first two December weeks.

An online release tomorrow or in three weeks won't make a difference for Bot5A, imho. At least in the United States... Bot5A simply won't be that massive finale-event compared to RotK or Deathly Hallows 2 (unless it totally breaks out).

(This post was edited by Arannir on Oct 2 2014, 1:53pm)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Oct 2 2014, 2:21pm

Post #14 of 30 (1058 views)
Shortcut
Would be nice but... [In reply to] Can't Post

IMO it's gotten so it's pretty much pointless to try to predict the exact date a trailer will be released, much less which movie it could be attached to. Plus, it seems WB has been releasing trailers online first and then attaching them to a movie. The ratings sites haven't said anything. PJ hasn't said anything trailer-related since before the teaser trailer came out. I don't think it's coming as soon as this Tuesday. I've been wrong before, but...y'know...I'm just sayin'.Evil

PJ said it should be released "around October" so around October it will be. There are still 29 days left in the month for it to come. I am patient. I can wait.Cool

"Home is behind the world ahead
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade"

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 2 2014, 2:29pm

Post #15 of 30 (1015 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
There are still 29 days left in the month for it to come. I am patient. I can wait.Cool

I had to laugh at that, I just had to Laugh!

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 2 2014, 2:37pm

Post #16 of 30 (1010 views)
Shortcut
I'm in agreement with Arannir. [In reply to] Can't Post

Since Interstellar will have early preview screenings starting on the 5th in the U.S., I think it's possible for the trailer to go online the previous weekend (probably Saturday morning).

While much later than WB might have wanted, I think that they played the poor box office quite well in their marketing here. They knew it would be a waste to do the more traditional June/October trailer releases. The buzz wouldn't have held in the U.S., especially when fighting with Mockingjay. Now, they can run off of the momentum of their other money maker (WB has international rights for Interstellar) to promote an even bigger one worldwide. I like it.

My guess is November 1st on YouTube, the 5th in theaters.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Oct 2 2014, 3:18pm

Post #17 of 30 (1015 views)
Shortcut
I've noticed that the tendency is to play trailers with movies of the same genre [In reply to] Can't Post

or at least that appeal to the same audience demographic. Generally we wouldn't see a big fantasy film play in front of a serious war movie for example. I would hope BOTFA would play in front of some of the big blockbusters coming out, but I'm thinking if they wait to play it in front of Mockingjay part 1, that's on Nov. 21st, which is only a few weeks ahead of BOtFA release date of Dec. 17th.

Given Warner Bros. track record of not promoting these films well anyways, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to drum up business at the last minute like this. Besides Interstellar, I don't know what other big films are coming out soon that it might play in front of to a wide audience though.

Certainly compared to the advance hype we got with all the LOTR films, as far as these Hobbit movies go, the silence is deafening.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 2 2014, 3:29pm

Post #18 of 30 (978 views)
Shortcut
Although... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not that I'm out to defend WB for anything, but my only question to that would be: would they lose viewers in December for not releasing a trailer before November 1st?

This year's box office totals have been abysmal. I don't think they've really had a product, other than Godzilla, which was worthy of trailers for their winter releases. WB is about the only studio with serious prospects for large successes this coming winter. At this point, they may as well try to keep it in the family as much as possible.

Not to sound like I'm disagreeing with you, at all. I wouldn't give WB credit for anything I've said--there's a reason the box office was poor. Tongue

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

adt100
Rohan

Oct 2 2014, 4:36pm

Post #19 of 30 (1030 views)
Shortcut
'Sometime in October' I expect... after all PJ confirmed as much already. [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably more likely to be the second half though. Obviously don't want to get our hopes up for an earlier date, as with the teaser!

As for the film it attaches to, maybe this if more of a big deal in the USA, not sure if it applies quite as much in the UK, though obviously they want it to play with films of a similar audience. I go the the Everyman chain in the UK and when I emailed them specifically about the Hobbit trailer for DOS they seemed to imply that it was up to their own marketing department as to which films they would attach it to rather than studios dictating set films?

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Oct 2 2014, 4:42pm

Post #20 of 30 (937 views)
Shortcut
And I recall reading earlier this year that WB was downsizing [In reply to] Can't Post

which is never a good sign

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 2 2014, 4:46pm

Post #21 of 30 (938 views)
Shortcut
Athough it's interesting... [In reply to] Can't Post

They're actually expanding the number of film/tv productions they will do per year. And I believe that none of the cuts came in production crew units. Interesting times there, for sure!

(This post was edited by cats16 on Oct 2 2014, 4:47pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 2 2014, 10:25pm

Post #22 of 30 (782 views)
Shortcut
It still is [In reply to] Can't Post

It still is attached to Guardians of the Galaxy Smile, which I last saw this week (in the UK). I've seen it three times now, and each time the Hobbit trailer was shown before the film.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Oct 2 2014, 10:29pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 3 2014, 12:32am

Post #23 of 30 (818 views)
Shortcut
Here is Somethin' to consider? [In reply to] Can't Post

FOR the hundreds of FANS that
Entered the Contest...
Thizz week is EXTRA...Nerve-Rack-ing....since
PJ izz supposed to view our Videos
& likely we will know if we get to FLY
there round-trip! BY MONDAY!

Bomby is guessing that WHOEVER does win?
Will be IN... a "Final Video Blog" from PJ!

Released later in November...

as a GIFT to ALL of TORn!
(We know he loves us @ a distance..
Maybe...LURKin' a little?)

According to another contestant the VERY
FIRST viewing will be between
OCT 27 & NOV. 7th
in the Roxy Theater in Wellington...

THIS piece of FILM will get your
JUICES flowing...

PRAY for US...
THAT we aren't TOO
much of a MESS?

(Especially if we
DON'T WIN?)

FINGERs &Hairy TOES R crossed..
Everywhere from Brazil, Thailand ...TO Finland

Vicariously ..WE ALL ...
get to GO!
Yea! PJ&co...

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Oct 3 2014, 5:57am

Post #24 of 30 (685 views)
Shortcut
But why this 'deafening silence'??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Could you elaborate a little as to why WB is doing it so bad on this front?... I am very puzzled.

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Oct 3 2014, 6:05am

Post #25 of 30 (667 views)
Shortcut
LOL for your Thranduilesque conclusion...! [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.