The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
Shadow of Mordor - Player Experiences

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 1 2014, 9:02am

Post #1 of 8 (1750 views)
Shortcut
Shadow of Mordor - Player Experiences Can't Post

SInce several people wanted to buy and play it we could collect our impressions here.

After the good reception it got and being sick at home, I did buy it.

I was doubtful about the approach but was ready to be entertained and simply have fun with it. Especially since I really like the game mechanics of Assassin's Creed or Batman Arkham. SO there wasn't any negativity at all when I started to play and for the first few minutes the setting really captured me.

But then it went downhill quickly... I played fore some hours now and don't have much motivation to go back to it.

This game has no soul... Middle-earth is just labelled on it to sell it, obviously.

Just because you have two characters named Gollum and Celebrimor and you play in areas called Nurnen and Udun doesn't make this a Middle-earth experience.

The story feels generic and doesn't use the lore to its potential, imho. And I do not mean the "actual" lore... the idea with Celebrimbor isn't bad, the idea to bring Gollum in is also good and the principla setting of playing one of the guardians of the Black Gate starting in the night of Sauron's return is actually quite brilliant and fresh.

But that doesn't help if you do not care to actually make an interesting story out of it afterwards.

I am not invested at all... especially Udun is an extremely boring area (a far more interesting setting would have been Minas Morgul/Cirith Ungol, Morgul valley and parts of Ithilien).

The license sometimes shines through and then the game has its highlights... but it is imho simply not enough. Really disappointing.

I just hope it will spark enough interest and reception to keep good AAA games set in Middle-earth coming. There is so much potential...

By the way: The hardware requirements for PC are ridiculous compared to how the game looks. Obviously a cheap transfer to have it play on as many devices as possible.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Oct 1 2014, 9:06am)

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 2 2014, 9:14am

Post #2 of 8 (1545 views)
Shortcut
Expectations [In reply to] Can't Post

Reading through more reviews (both by users and magazines) paints a clear picture that those who expected a good action-adventure are far more satisfied than those who expected an atmospheric game that puts good use to the license.

I realized at some point it is far more fun for me if I just approach it as a rather straight hacking and slashing instead of expecting to actually find some atmosphere in there.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Oct 2 2014, 3:29pm

Post #3 of 8 (1523 views)
Shortcut
I got it on Tuesday [In reply to] Can't Post

and had Wednesday off, but i too have been sick, a bit too sick to put serious time into the game, unfortunately. Feeling better today, though, so i'll get some quality time with the game by, and over, the week-end. But i do have 2 or 3 hours with the game, and i'm still on the fence.

I have two big criticisms of the game so far... The opening area, Udun, is kind of boring and fairly featureless, making it a bit difficult to become familiar with. And, it's a fairly steep learning curve, with a lot to learn at first, and it can be quite difficult at times, making the game somewhat frustrating. I've never played a Batman or Assassin's Creed game, which this game seems inspired by, so i probably just need to get used to some of the mechanics. But there's also the skill trees, runes, mirian, and leveling up and how those work. All this just has to do with familiarity, so after a few more hours i'm sure i'll feel right at home with the world and it's mechanics. But just starting out, it's kind of overwhelming, and has not been a 'just jump in and start having fun' kind of game.

All that being said...

The combat and stealth does seem very well integrated. When i haven't been overwhelmed by orcs, combat has been smooth and fun, and traversing the world and it's structures is seemless (unlike my few minutes with Assassin's Creed 2, where i kept getting stuck on things, or going where i didn't want to go). I especially like the bow-- from the old Turok games to the latest Tomb Raider to this, i always love a good bow. Hand to hand combat can be fun, but i'm much more inclined to just hang back, size up the situation, and get things started silently and from afar, and then sneak in.

Graphically, the game looks fantastic, and it fits right in with Jackson's LotR trilogy, especially the orcs (more on that later). Like i said, the opening area is a bit boring, but from what i've seen on the internet, that will get better further along. But i do love the overall look of everything, and love seeing ruined buildings, statues and mountains off in the distance-- like walking around in one of the LotR movies. The sound is fantastic as well, with some nice music cues, great sound effects, and some quality voice acting (again, especially the orcs).

The orcs. Probably the games best feature, getting lots of graphical love and some brilliant design (where were these guys when the Hobbit films were being made?). And the Nemesis System, even with my limited time with it, seems fun and deep. Can't wait to really get to know these guys. I already hate one of them-- he just will not die!

The story? Eh. I'm impressed that it makes sense, and doesn't fly in the face of Tolkien's lore too much. The whole wraith/ranger dynamic does lend itself to some great gameplay mechanics. And Celebrimbor and Gollum are brilliantly realized. To be honest, and i've said it here before, story isn't the main draw for me. When it's good, i love it (Half-life, Portal and Mass Effect come to mind), but if it isn't, that's ok too (Resident Evil 4, Just Cause 2, Tomb Raider-- all some of my favorite games ever, and really dumb stories). As long as the game has a great setting, immersive atmosphere, and good gameplay, the story can be so-so (which seems the case here), and i'll still be able to have fun with it.

So while i do have some issues with Shadow of Mordor, i haven't given up on the game, not even close. I think once i get past the somewhat steep learning curve, the game will be very involving and a lot of fun, in spite of a not very interesting story. I'm looking forward to it.

I'll come back on Sunday to give an update.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Oct 2 2014, 3:36pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 2 2014, 6:33pm

Post #4 of 8 (1507 views)
Shortcut
It's been pretty fun so far. [In reply to] Can't Post

This game is beautiful so far and I'm not far into it so I am eager to see what comes later. Game play wise I think the mechanics are awesome and really well done. I have managed to get myself into trouble a few times and paid for it by making some Orcs more powerful. I don't expect a great story to be honest because I don't think it will play on the lore strong enough to make it say as good as Bioshock Infinite.

As far as feeling like Middle-earth. It does and doesn't to me. Maybe as I get further into it I'll feel more but for the most part if has a sort of feel. I am at least enjoying that I'm running around that world just killing Orcs.

As was mentioned above I do think they did a great job on the Orcs. They do feel very Middle-earth like that's for sure. I love the nemesis system with the way the Orcs remember and taunt you.

Overall, I think the game so far is pretty good. I can't give a ranking on it until I've finished. Right now I'm just running around Mordor killing Orcs and collecting stuff.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Oct 2 2014, 10:31pm

Post #5 of 8 (1520 views)
Shortcut
Truly, epically, phenomenal... [In reply to] Can't Post

An amazing game, with great combat and addictive gameplay... I'm not even halfway through the story and already have 24 hours played into it, easily just killing orcs and fighting captains/warchiefs and doing side quests and power struggles. The story is also well done, very cinematic. Cried like a baby in the beginning when Talion's family is killed. Unsure

I definitely recommend this game to all Middle-earth fans. While the story may go against Tolkien's lore at times, the gameplay/Nemesis system is what shines through in the end!

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Oct 3 2014, 6:29pm

Post #6 of 8 (1491 views)
Shortcut
Like i said above, [In reply to] Can't Post

Cried like a baby in the beginning when Talion's family is killed.

I don't usually get into a game's story that much, but those opening scenes actually kind of got to me-- they were very well done. Can't wait until later in the game to see more of the 3 baddies-- The Tower, The Black Hand, and The Hammer. I've read that they and their story are not all that interesting, and that they're not too difficult to defeat, but they seem pretty cool to me, so i'm looking forward to seeing more of them. Should be able to get some more time in with the game after work tonight.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Oct 3 2014, 6:31pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 13 2014, 4:03am

Post #7 of 8 (1466 views)
Shortcut
Finally finished [In reply to] Can't Post

Very fun fantasy game and some of the Tolkien/Jackson moments did make me smile. I will say there was enough playing with things that I have to forget it's based on Middle-earth. I would get the next game simply because as a fantasy game as I said it was fun. Just have to turn the brain off and ignore certain things.

The Red Avenger
Rivendell

Feb 19 2015, 3:59am

Post #8 of 8 (1364 views)
Shortcut
I'm a bit late to the party but here are my initial impressions [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a lifelong Tolkien fan of nearly 40 years and I've recently got back into gaming so I don't really have anything to compare it with except maybe Assassins Creed and Far Cry 3. The first for the combat and movement, the second for its progress in ability it what obviously drew me to it was the fact it's Middle-earth. So what I do I think? Frankly I'm impressed. The researchers have definitely looked deep into Middle-earths history and crafted a well made game with a wonderful Tolkien feel to it. The stars of the show are the Orcs, the Nemeses system allows lowly grunts to rise through the ranks by first besting you and then each other becoming more powerful in the process that when you meet again (and you will) they really do become your nemesis and an utter pain as they taunt you after defeating you and getting more powerful. Each Orc is unique in that they have names and personalities. They are definitely the cousins of Gorbag and Shagrat. Snaga and Ugluk. Some as repulsive as Grishnakh and all speak in that gutteral or whiny cockney that I first remember from the BBC Radio adaptation of LOTR and continued throughout the film's. They are a joy as one kills you and you wait to see how they fare in the Nemeses screen. I had one Orc who battered every would be captain, who quickly became so empowered nothing stood in his way until he actually got killed in the third tier. That was unexpected. I had another who I was sure I killed called Skak the Uncatchable who turned up out of the blue and killed me again. I eventuAlly got rid of Skak for good but for a few days he was my real nemesis. And that's what the developers want. It's an incredible system. as for the rest of the game. There are some nice touches. The artifact side quests open a bit more history and lore as snippets of dialogue are revealed - one such seems to go back to Numenor where Sauron the Golden is brought back in Chains. It's a lovely touch. Mordor is obviously in its pre-Sauron war mode at its rather interesting to see its not a barren wasteland but full of buildings, Ruins and flora and fauna. To me this seemed appropriate as when Sauron was vanquished at the end of the second age, Mordor must have become inhabitable. The Teeth were built, Minas Ithil, just outside. It's good to see names like Udun and Black Road, places like Durthang and the Morrannon, Nurnen - it brings the place alive. Finally I come to the story and missions. Tallion's revenge and Celebrimbor's motives. The story starts quite horrifically and the Black Hand is a very scary foe. Once in Mordor the game takes off it you can actually avoid the main storyline and just wander about or hone your skills. The Orc power struggles are fascinating and crashing the party is a lot of fun. On the main quest you meet Ratbag the Coward who integrates beautifully into the nemeses system as well as the main storyline. By making a deal to get Tallion closer to the Black Hand whilst furthering his own stature. I'm not that far into the main storyline yet but I've had to rescue Ratbag twice so far and he's risen to the third tier. There's also a small matter of Gollum who looks and sounds exactly like the film version except it's not Andy Serkis's but you will not be able to tell the difference, it's uncannilly spot on. Gollum leads Tallion to memory artifacts which slowly reveal Celebrimbor's motives. I'll jhst point out you don't know its him at this point but you'd be hard pressed to keep it secret as it's widely known anyway so hardly a secret. There is also another set of side quests featuring an old friend of Tallion's called Hirgon. I found this intriguing that men would live in Mordor, and then would become slaves. There are a number of missions to free slaves as well. Infact you can avoid all the main and side quests for a long time and still have plenty to do. Can it get repetitive. A little as power struggles are often born out in the game. Not so much randomly generated but using the Nemeses system it's quite easy to find two of the orcs are planning a battle of one has captured another and is planning to execute him. Your task is to disrupt these events and the outcome impacts on the or s involved. However new skills gained make these more interesting as you blow up fires, release flys or the caragours on unsuspecting orcs. and watch the mayhem. Sometimes things just happen. I had just died and on top of the tower I spotted one of the Orc captains being attacked by a group of caragours who eventually killed him. It jumped immediately to the nemeses screen and someone took his place. The combat system is quite complex but again you learn new skills like the flurry Attack which gets even better later on. Pressing a button switches you to wraith mode where you control Celebrimbor as an archer. This opens up a whole new world of combat. You can hide, attract your foe and stealth kill. You can sneak up from behind. Drop on them from above, hang on ledges and Attack from below. It's very varied and a lot of fun. If by any chance an or does get in a stunning blow you get a chance to counter attack by moving the randomly generated circle into the larger one and hitting the randomly chosen button. This is harder than it looks as if you start going the wrong way you might as well give up now. Said victorious Orc will themselves on the ladder to improve themselves unless they don't get past the first Orc. If you are successful then you get to live and again this improves later I. The game as it's possible to finish off the orc In the process. Like I said, I've hardly scratched the surface quest-wise but it's fast becoming a favourite and it's a lot of fun and I love playing in Middle-earth. One last thing though - to anybody who thinks it's desecrating Tolkiens memory I say lighten up. It's quite respectful of the source material. Sure it takes liberties with story and situations but the way I look like it, it's just a story we have 't heard yet. There's nothing inherently blasphemous about things. It doesn't take blatent liberties with his work. The wraith Celebrimbor is not contentious enough to cause arms to be thrown in the air. Tallion's situation also does not play fast and loose with lore. These are plausable scenarios. You do t know what the servants of the dark lord can do. So it works. If I was to have one misgiving then it's the non-appearance of Shelob or even Cirith Ungol. Hopefully in a DLC. But that's it. I'm enjoying it especially as a Tolkien fan, there's a mixture of film and book influences. The Black Gate is definitely from the film, as is the Orc design and also Gollum. I'd say unless you were going to whinge about how much true Tolkien is there and how much "bad fan fic" you think it has then you'll most likely enjoy it. Now I have a particularly annoying or. To hunt down....

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.