EE - digital copy or physical disc?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ardamírë
Valinor

Oct 1 2014, 8:32pm

Post #1 of 31 (1307 views)
Shortcut
EE - digital copy or physical disc? Can't Post

So the DOS EE comes out in just over a month, but the digital downloadable copy is available in just twenty days. Which do you plan to get, or do you plan to get both?

If you are planning to wait for the physical disc, do you plan to stay on TORn and read all the spoilers for the new scenes? Or will you try to avoid them all so you can watch the film with fresh eyes?

For myself, I plan to get the DVD. I like to have a physical disc I can just pop in whenever I want, and I don't want to deal with the hassle of downloading. I'm also going to do my very best to avoid descriptions of the new scenes, especially the Thrain material, as I want to see it all as spoiler-free as possible.

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 1 2014, 8:51pm

Post #2 of 31 (874 views)
Shortcut
Easily... [In reply to] Can't Post

A UK DVD for my shelf (and to watch when travelling), plus the Collector's BluRay with the Weta statue for 3D and High Definition in my home cinema.
Plus, they only put lenticular covers into TH Collector's Edition versions here in Germany, so I'd have to get that.

I suppose some spoilers will be unavoidable once the digital download hits iTunes (and the torrent trackers shortly after). But I am going to ignore reading the descriptions of the actual new scenes prior to watching the disc (which will happen in physical form first).

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

tsmith675
Gondor

Oct 1 2014, 8:57pm

Post #3 of 31 (823 views)
Shortcut
Exactly what I got last year... [In reply to] Can't Post

2D Bluray

Our destiny lies above us.

Cillendor
Lorien

Oct 1 2014, 9:04pm

Post #4 of 31 (809 views)
Shortcut
I'd love to get the blu-ray, but no-one in my family owns a player. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll probably just get the digital copy because I can run a video feed from my computer to my TV, so that'll look a lot prettier than buying a crappy DVD.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2014, 9:16pm

Post #5 of 31 (802 views)
Shortcut
iTunes for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not that I would avoid spoilers anyway.

Lindele
Gondor

Oct 1 2014, 9:46pm

Post #6 of 31 (808 views)
Shortcut
Until the quality of digital downloads [In reply to] Can't Post

matches that of Blu-rays I will be purchasing the Blu-rays.

Yes, I do like having the physical copy and art on my shelf but I feel like that is going to go away pretty soon...hopefully at the same time the digital copies will go up in quality. Right now they are pretty low.

KeenObserver
Lorien

Oct 1 2014, 10:08pm

Post #7 of 31 (799 views)
Shortcut
Digital Copy [In reply to] Can't Post

Call me cheap but I'm hoping that the DoS EE is available for rent.

However, in the likely case that iTunes does not offer such option,
I will contentedly foot the bill for purchase.

In terms of tangibles, I am holding out for that possible super-duper
extended box set that Sir Peter has alluded to.

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Oct 1 2014, 11:11pm

Post #8 of 31 (750 views)
Shortcut
Let's get fizz-ah-kull! Fizz-ah-kull! [In reply to] Can't Post

A ray of blue in the dimension of two,
is what I"ll view, and this is true.
A digital queue of a download new,
would never do, as my coin is few.
Tongue

But I swear to seek, myself a good peek,
at any good leak, that TORN might speak.
Although I might freak, and begin a critique,
It'll be fun to geek, over every new tweak.
Laugh

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 1 2014, 11:54pm

Post #9 of 31 (708 views)
Shortcut
UK [In reply to] Can't Post

Both the steelbook containing the Blue-ray version and the DVD for me. I don't want digital copies of films – I'd always much rather have physical copies in good-looking packaging.

Bard'sBlackArrow
Lorien

Oct 2 2014, 12:35am

Post #10 of 31 (693 views)
Shortcut
Digital [In reply to] Can't Post

Right now, digital. If I enjoy the films in rewatching I'll wait until the EE trilogy blu ray bundle goes on sale. Presuming we still have dvds by then.

Some films I will gladly dip many times for, but I've learned the hard way it's better to wait for certain films on blu ray.

... on the other side of tomorrow...

LordotRings93
Rohan

Oct 2 2014, 1:16am

Post #11 of 31 (699 views)
Shortcut
Physical copy for me [In reply to] Can't Post

Rarely do I buy things digital. I'll probably be avoiding all the Middle-earth fan sites I visit until November 4th, although all the fan pages I like on Facebook no doubt I'll see tons of pictures from the EE. Wanna watch the EE without being, although I'll undoubtedly run in to a few spoilers...

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 2 2014, 1:20am

Post #12 of 31 (688 views)
Shortcut
No question - PHYSICAL DISC [In reply to] Can't Post

I do not support the studios' agenda of pushing digital VOD services, so I will be waiting for the Blu-ray. When the practice first started, I weakly succumbed to the early release of some titles on VOD (I think I ordered about 3 in total) - but I no longer take part in it. I may not be able to stop the eventual takeover of VOD and streaming services, but I refuse to help it along.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Oct 2 2014, 1:21am)

KeenObserver
Lorien

Oct 2 2014, 1:32am

Post #13 of 31 (704 views)
Shortcut
I couldn't do it [In reply to] Can't Post

There's no way I could patiently wait until November 4th when I'm
afforded the opportunity to watch it on October 21st.

I am beyond eager to finally experience the definitive version of TDoS.

Kudos to you and others who are able to sit tight and avoid spoilage.
That takes some serious self-discipline.

(Something I choose not to exercise at this point in time).

I want to head straight to TORn after my first viewing and discuss
away with those who did not possess the courage to abstain.

I do look forward to the arrival of you and all of the other November
4thers whose comments and insight will be like a rejuvenating refreshment.Smile

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Oct 2 2014, 1:38am)

LordotRings93
Rohan

Oct 2 2014, 1:39am

Post #14 of 31 (679 views)
Shortcut
Oh, it's not easy, believe me :P [In reply to] Can't Post

When AUJ EE was released last year digitally, I kept getting tempted by visiting the iTunes page and just wanting to click "Buy". But, then I thought, what would I have to look forward to then when I go up at midnight to get my physical copy, unwrap the plastic, and pop it in after months of anticipation? No doubt that's how I'll feel this year as well, although there weren't many newly added scenes for AUJ, so avoiding massive spoilers wasn't that hard after the first day. But with DOS, having almost 30 minutes of new scenes, no doubt tons of spoilers will come up. I might cave and read a few, heck I already feel spoiled watching the bridge in Mirkwood clip... I don't know, I understand where you're coming from in knowing you can watch it early so just buy it digitally, but with a big release like DOS EE, the anticipation of looking at the epic cover, popping in the Blu-ray, and being treated to new scenes is a much better experience than clicking a button and having the movie at your finger tips.

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Dwarewien
Rohan

Oct 2 2014, 1:52am

Post #15 of 31 (675 views)
Shortcut
Physical copy for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

since I don't do digital downloads (even if I had a newer computer). It's the same with TV shows. I would rather wait for the season to be released on Blu-ray or DVD once it's no longer on the air (like Under the Dome for example, since it's only a summer series) instead of constantly streaming the episodes. Not that the CBS website lets you stream them unless you live in the States (and I'm in Canada), so there's a good chance I would have to wait for them anyway. I've already pre-ordered the DVD (since there's a good chance I won't be able to upgrade by November, and I still have to save my money for the BoFA collectibles as well as the DVDs for season 2 of Under the Dome and the Blu-ray/DVD combo pack for Into the Storm. I'm uncertain when the latter comes out, since there's still no release date, but the former will be available to own on Blu-ray and DVD on Dec. 9th).Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Oct 2 2014, 2:40am

Post #16 of 31 (672 views)
Shortcut
At which date does the digital downloadable copy get released? [In reply to] Can't Post

And where did you get that info?

Vocalist in the melodic metal band Betomast
and the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium

(This post was edited by painjoiker on Oct 2 2014, 2:40am)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Oct 2 2014, 4:24am

Post #17 of 31 (658 views)
Shortcut
October 21st [In reply to] Can't Post

And I believe it was mentioned in the trailer.

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 2 2014, 6:27am

Post #18 of 31 (632 views)
Shortcut
Disc for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the Blu-Ray preordered (2D). It comes with a UV code, so I can always download that if I really want a digital version.

I'll probably avoid the big spoiler threads as much as I can until I see it for myself.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 2 2014, 8:01am

Post #19 of 31 (601 views)
Shortcut
DVD already pre-ordered [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm old fashioned, I like to have a disk in my hand. In any case, I suspect my internet connection is far too slow to download anything that big, though I haven't actually tried it. And I'd have to watch on the computer - the TV's much better.

So after 21 October I'll be avoiding spoilers like the plague!

Noria
Gondor

Oct 2 2014, 1:52pm

Post #20 of 31 (559 views)
Shortcut
DVD for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe that in Canada we're in the same boat as the US and I can only hope that Walmart Canada will also carry the 5 disc DVD version. I will have to bite the bullet and shop there.

I too will be avoiding spoilers after Oct 21.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Oct 2 2014, 4:30pm

Post #21 of 31 (529 views)
Shortcut
Physical. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll rent digitally, or stream, but i always buy the physical copy. I like to have my stuff-- books, movies, series, music-- up on my shelves.

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 2 2014, 4:36pm

Post #22 of 31 (548 views)
Shortcut
If they can download it... [In reply to] Can't Post

...they can erase it. Remember Amazon, Kindle, and 1984.

(And just imagine what Lucas would do if he could access your old and "unimproved" Star Wars movies!)

A physical copy they can't mess with, please.

"My friend,” said Gandalf, “you had horses, and deeds of arms, and the free fields; but she, born in the body of a maid, had a spirit and courage at least the match of yours. Yet she was doomed to wait upon an old man, whom she loved as a father, and watch him falling into a mean dishonoured dotage; and her part seemed to her more ignoble than that of the staff he leaned on.
“Think you that Wormtongue had poison only for Théoden's ears? ‘Dotard! What is the house of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek, and their brats roll on the floor among their dogs?’ Have you not heard those words before? Saruman spoke them, the teacher of Wormtongue. Though I do not doubt that Wormtongue at home wrapped their meaning in terms more cunning. My lord, if your sister's love for you, and her will still bent to her duty, had not restrained her lips; you might have heard even such things as these escape them. But who knows what she spoke to the darkness, alone, in the bitter watches of the night, when all her life seemed shrinking, and the walls of her bower closing in about her, a hutch to trammel some wild thing in?”

“I'm gonna wash Rohan right outa my hair,
I'm gonna wash Rohan right outa my hair,
And I’ll be on my way!

“If a land don't understand you,
No matter how many regimes,
Saddle up, do not wait,
Don’t waste time at the weapontake.
Muster out of that roll call.
Ride Windfola out to your dreams!

“If the house of Eorl is nothing more,
Than a barn where brigands drink,
Their brats and dogs roll on the floor,
Then you know what the door is for,
Muster out of that roll call,
Wash Rohan into the sink!

And I’ll be on my way!"

-Rodgers and Hammerstein, The Lord of the Rings

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 2 2014, 6:15pm

Post #23 of 31 (536 views)
Shortcut
To play devil's advocate... [In reply to] Can't Post

(because the last thing I would want to do is make an argument in favor of VOD), once you download it on iTunes, it's yours. You don't have to worry about Apple taking it away. The only way it disappears is if you delete it yourself.

The only time you have to worry is if you purchase from a service that uses streaming (such as Amazon) instead of downloads.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Oct 2 2014, 6:15pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 2 2014, 6:34pm

Post #24 of 31 (514 views)
Shortcut
Both [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have a physical version of course and digital. That way when I go someplace I can watch it.

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 2 2014, 6:36pm

Post #25 of 31 (520 views)
Shortcut
It's the opposite problem with iTunes. [In reply to] Can't Post

They can autodownload stuff and make it nearly impossible to remove.

(Figure out how to delete U2's "Songs of Innocence" yet?)

"My friend,” said Gandalf, “you had horses, and deeds of arms, and the free fields; but she, born in the body of a maid, had a spirit and courage at least the match of yours. Yet she was doomed to wait upon an old man, whom she loved as a father, and watch him falling into a mean dishonoured dotage; and her part seemed to her more ignoble than that of the staff he leaned on.
“Think you that Wormtongue had poison only for Théoden's ears? ‘Dotard! What is the house of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek, and their brats roll on the floor among their dogs?’ Have you not heard those words before? Saruman spoke them, the teacher of Wormtongue. Though I do not doubt that Wormtongue at home wrapped their meaning in terms more cunning. My lord, if your sister's love for you, and her will still bent to her duty, had not restrained her lips; you might have heard even such things as these escape them. But who knows what she spoke to the darkness, alone, in the bitter watches of the night, when all her life seemed shrinking, and the walls of her bower closing in about her, a hutch to trammel some wild thing in?”

And I’ll be on my way!

“If a land don't understand you,
No matter how many regimes,
Saddle up, do not wait,
Don’t waste time at the weapontake.
Muster out of that roll call.
Ride Windfola out to your dreams!

“If the house of Eorl is nothing more,
Than a barn where brigands drink,
Their brats and dogs roll on the floor,
Then you know what the door is for,
Muster out of that roll call,
Wash Rohan into the sink!

And I’ll be on my way!"

-Rodgers and Hammerstein, The Lord of the Rings

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.