Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hobbit Film Scores: Is there enough material for a "Complete Recordings" edition?

tiamy
Rivendell

Oct 1 2014, 3:57pm

Post #1 of 8 (1633 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit Film Scores: Is there enough material for a "Complete Recordings" edition? Can't Post

All standard releases of LOTR soundtrack has roughly 70-80 minutes of runtime each.Then when LOTR: Complete Recordings came along, it had 3-4 hours of music each.

When The Hobbit came out, they released a standard edition that has about 2 hours of music and a 'special edition' that is about 10 minutes longer.

These Hobbit soundtrack releases are pretty much like "complete recordings" for me. I doubt they will release a "complete" version. The alternate takes used in the movie are much better to be released as a separate edition rather than inserted into the current editions (more like those in the "Rarities Archive" CD).

I kinda wished they released a condensed version of the Hobbit soundtrack first (with 70-80 mins of runtime, perfect for my commute time) and then released a complete version just like what they did for LOTR.

Faleel
Rohan

Oct 1 2014, 4:01pm

Post #2 of 8 (1175 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes.

There is a bunch of unreleased music in AUJ.

Then there is all the unreleased/unused music from the DOS

Then there is the unreleased music from the DOS EE.

droidsocket
Lorien

Oct 1 2014, 4:04pm

Post #3 of 8 (1159 views)
Shortcut
I.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I really hope they do. As much as I like the AUJ cd I just cant get over how different it is from the finished film score. Plus I would love for them to continue with the packaging theme from the first trilogy!

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 1 2014, 4:18pm

Post #4 of 8 (1210 views)
Shortcut
Doug Adams... [In reply to] Can't Post

... stated, if I remember correctly that nothing is decided, yet, but that the approach to the OST releases was different to those of LotR and that this is also the reason for many of the bigger differences between what was used for the CDs and the movies. The CDs for TH are a middle path between the complete recordings and the OST versions in the style of those of LotR. He explained it on his blog, I think.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Oct 2 2014, 8:07am

Post #5 of 8 (977 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

There's all the alternate AUJ film versions that haven't been released. Then there'll be the new music from the DOS EE. Heck why not put some alternates in the CRs (perhaps as bonus tracks).

What would be amazing is instead of a DVD with the score in surround sound, getting a DVD/Bluray with the isolated scores (with the OST versions of the score and the film version available to switch between).

Lindele
Gondor

Oct 2 2014, 1:04pm

Post #6 of 8 (935 views)
Shortcut
speak for yourself! [In reply to] Can't Post

the best part about the CR's was the surround sound DVDs. The difference in quality between those and the regular audio CD's is frightening.

gkgyver
Bree

Oct 2 2014, 2:51pm

Post #7 of 8 (931 views)
Shortcut
Anyone is DOUBTING the use of Complete Recordings? [In reply to] Can't Post

An Unexpected Journey alone warrants a set of complete recordings. Pretty much the entire film score is one big alternate.
And god knows how many edits there are, and will be in Battle of the Five Armies.

These 6 scores are probably the biggest undertaking in cinema history, and some people are honestly wondering if CRs are necessary? Crazy

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Oct 4 2014, 5:11am

Post #8 of 8 (866 views)
Shortcut
Agreeing with you... [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.