cats16
Half-elven

Oct 1 2014, 10:29am

Post #1 of 31 (3643 views)
Shortcut
Chapter of the Week: Lake-town Can't Post

DOS Chapter of the Week: Lake-town

Come one, come all!

Welcome to this week's CHOW, which is a bit delayed due to multiple circumstances. Feel free to jump in and join the discussion!

-------------------------------------------------

This chapter begins with the magnificent continuous shot of Esgaroth (shown above), also known as Lake-town.

1. What was your first impression of the town? Thoughts on its design/CGI/culture, etc.? How did it differ from how you imagined it in the book?

2. What real life societies does Lake-town resemble, in your eyes? Does it fit the apparent climate of the region?

3. The Lake-town theme is revealed in this moment. Any thoughts on this motif, or the music in general?

Bard is then shown to be approaching the city gate. The boat is notably lacking any dwarvish presence at this moment.

4. Any thoughts on the cinematography/production design in our first glimpses inside of the town?

A neat bird's eye shot reveals the contents of Bard's load: fish. He registers the shipment with Percy, the gate-keeper. All seems well, until Alfrid--the Master's conniving servant--arrives.

5. Anything that can be said about this 'customs' system in place?

6. What were your first impressions of Alfrid? Did they change from first viewing and now? Too similar to Grima/not enough?

Alfrid proceeds to tell Bard of the 'illegality' of his load, as he is not licensed to carry fish. One of my favorite screencaps happens next:

7. What does this conversation imply about Lake-town's economy and politics, if anything?

8. How about the costuming here? Thoughts on the uniforms of the Master's men? Alfrid's?

9. I'll give an imaginary bitcoin to anyone who successfully places each dwarf in their respective barrel.

He then orders
the Master's men to dump the fish overboard.

10. Does the suspense of this scene work for you? How would you have done it differently, if not?

11. Any thoughts on the staging of this scene? Cinematography? Editing? Lots of actors moving about on a tiny boat, all of a sudden.

Just before the dwarves are revealed, Bard convinces Alfrid of the PR nightmare he will ensue upon the Master, should they dump good fish into the lake. Alfrid calls off the men and clearly isn't pleased with the result.

12. What are your thoughts on the dialogue here? There's a sense of desperation in the people, through Bard. Anything to be said of it all?

13. Any guesses as to why Alfrid doesn't simply jail Bard then and there? Does he need a reason, given his apparent power?

Alfrid threatens Bard as the latter steers the boat into town, telling him "we know where you live." Bard memorably responds with "It's a small town, Alfrid. Everyone knows where everyone lives."

14. Anything to be taken from these two parting lines? Does Bard's allegiance seem clearer, or cloudier?

Next we're shown another lovely shot of Lake-town from above, as Bard continues inward.

15. Any thoughts on the aesthetic of this shot? How are CGI working well/not so well? How about the music's role in conveying tone?

And, finally, we end on a very critical shot--a glimpse at PJ's pugs wandering on the docks.

16. Did the dogs take you out of the film at all? Are they okay to stay in your opinion, or no?

A couple of more general questions to conclude:

17. What is your overall opinion of this scene, and its function in context to the previous scene(s) and the rest of the film?

18. Does this scene remind you of any other films, either in the sets or execution of the scene? Potential nods to other films?

19. Any more thoughts on technical items omitted in earlier questions? Any other comments at all?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Whew! Lots of questions. No pressure to answer everything, of course. I know how much time it takes to type out thoughtful responses each week.

I've typed this post twice this week; hopefully no egregious plot errors are present in my delirium!

Thanks, all! Looking forward to everyone's thoughts. Smile

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 1 2014, 10:32am

Post #2 of 31 (3352 views)
Shortcut
Best set and music of TH. [In reply to] Can't Post

These scenes show the best sets and use the best music of TH thus far, imho.

Especially the music is great here... I wished the score felt that genuine, present and "epic" more often.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 1 2014, 10:37am

Post #3 of 31 (3338 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I find your use of 'present' really interesting here. I think I know--or think that I think I know--what you mean. I've had a similar thought pop into my head a couple of times, actually. I couldn't point them out off the top of my head, of course. But there are a couple of instances in which I feel...a bit of a remove from the image, if that makes any sense?

I do really like the Lake-town music, as well.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 1 2014, 11:11am

Post #4 of 31 (3350 views)
Shortcut
Establishing Shots [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes - somehow I feel the music was much more noticeable and part of the story-telling in LotR... especially in introducing new characters or locations.

The Lake-town introduction reminded me much more of the big musical and visual location/character-establishing shots such as Mins Tirith, Rivendell, Caras Galadhon, Edoras or Helm's Deep.

A lot of the other places seemed much more "rushed" both in their establishment and introduction.

This scene lets the images breath much more, imho.

I think it is deliberate to not over-do these kind of shots... TH is much more episodic than LotR and might feel even more so if you over-emphasize new locations... in that respect it was good to do something "bigger" for Lake-town as it has much more "significance" than most of the other locations they travel through.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Oct 1 2014, 11:13am)

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Oct 1 2014, 12:47pm

Post #5 of 31 (3316 views)
Shortcut
I have to say [In reply to] Can't Post

I absolutely loved Alfrid. His entrance with the Politicians Of Laketown theme playing behind it is just done to perfection. And I think Ryan Gage executed all his lines in just right way, I really enjoy watching his scenes. This came as quite a surprise to me.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 1 2014, 1:11pm

Post #6 of 31 (3311 views)
Shortcut
Heheh [In reply to] Can't Post

You got my fav moments!

In Reply To
And, finally, we end on a very critical shot--a glimpse at PJ's pugs wandering on the docks.

Were these PJ's own? Was quite amused by their synchronised doggingSmile

Seriously, bravo you for putting this up on short order I deduce? Some answers...

1. What was your first impression of the town? Thoughts on its design/CGI/culture, etc.? How did it differ from how you imagined it in the book?
2. What real life societies does Lake-town resemble, in your eyes? Does it fit the apparent climate of the region?
Felt like Venice plugged onto a very foggy Interlaken. Very different from my imagination. It seemed more brick-and-mortar, while in my mind, it's more woody... if that makes sense.

Interesting. Seems like a scaled-down version of a port operation with duties and levies. For a smallish population, feels a bit overwrought and fussy when I first saw it, but it made sense by the time we got to the Master.

6. What were your first impressions of Alfrid? Did they change from first viewing and now? Too similar to Grima/not enough?
Feels weird saying this, but Alfrid feels like the poor-man's version of Grima.

7. What does this conversation imply about Lake-town's economy and politics, if anything?
Oppressive oligarchy, but not really feudal-based. More like an election-system gone wrong. Like well, Philippines in the Marcos era or any number of small countries in Africa or Asia post WWII aftermath/Cold War era. Left to the Master's devices, that rogue nation sitting right smack in the middle of the Orient is the model of the next devolutionary step for Laketown I'd imagine.

9. I'll give an imaginary bitcoin to anyone who successfully places each dwarf in their respective barrel.
*dispense virtual refunds*

10. Does the suspense of this scene work for you? How would you have done it differently, if not?
It does, except that the complete faux power of the snivelly weasel and the heroism of Bard already confirmed that Bard's winning this game if brinksmanship.

12. What are your thoughts on the dialogue here? There's a sense of desperation in the people, through Bard. Anything to be said of it all?
See no 7.

13. Any guesses as to why Alfrid doesn't simply jail Bard then and there? Does he need a reason, given his apparent power?
Bard seems well-regarded. Given the abject oppression, Alfrid and the Master are probably mindful of accidentally turning him into V for Vendetta.

14. Anything to be taken from these two parting lines? Does Bard's allegiance seem clearer, or cloudier?
Both? Bard seems to know how Alfrid and the Master operates, and yet he's not party to their business. intriguing.

Thanks, cats16!

Fan of both books and movies; I am a lurker by nature though it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Thranduil Appreciation
Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XV
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!.
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Noria
Gondor

Oct 1 2014, 4:07pm

Post #7 of 31 (3332 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for doing this Cats. [In reply to] Can't Post

DOS Chapter of the Week: Lake-town

--My first impression of Laketown was “Wow!” It was and is beautiful: the cluster of silhouetted buildings rising out of the misty lake, the sun rising behind the clouds, the now iconic music.

--I think I imagined Laketown as closer to the shore and as a medieval village on stilts. In DoS as we the approach the town it appears more solid than that, almost as if it was on an island, but once we are inside that illusion is dispelled. Perhaps its design elements show more of an Eastern influence than the European look that I had imagined. But movie Laketown is great IMO, far superior to anything I ever envisioned. This is one of my favourite sets in all the five movies and more than most looks like a real place where people live and work and do real things, rather than the Renn Fair vibe that I got in some of PJ’s other ME towns.

--As I said, a lot of the decorative elements and clothing styles look “Eastern” to me, as in Northern Chinese, or Tibetan or Nepalese. No doubt reading the Chronicles book on costuming has influenced how I see this stuff.

--To me the look of Laketown, with its implications of a northern location, fits the climate. The houses look sturdy if run-down, the people seem to be dressed appropriately in layers for a cool autumn. But if it’s cold enough in Laketown for there to be ice in the lake in autumn, they will need much heavier clothing for true winter.

3. The Lake-town theme is revealed in this moment. Any thoughts on this motif, or the music in general?

--Everybody, including me, seems to love the Laketown theme, Shore’s “lake shanty”, even those who don’t care for the soundtrack otherwise. For me it evokes a sense of a bustling, busy community based on a “maritime” economy. It is also a bit regal and since it plays over Bard’s entrance into Laketown, it seems applicable to him as well. The music becomes quieter and more ominous for Bard and Alfrid’s confrontation but then the Laketown theme bursts out again triumphantly as Bard sculls away into the town with his barrels of fish and Dwarves.

4. Any thoughts on the cinematography/production design in our first glimpses inside of the town?

--I love Laketown and how real it seems, how everything seems to be well constructed but dilapidated. There is a real sense of poverty, of things gone to seed from better days.

--The customs system is clearly designed to allow the Master complete control over all commerce in the town and to give him a cut of all transactions. However, it’s clear also that the customs officials are not entirely honest and are willing to ignore the regulations because Percy must have seen the fish in Bard’s barrels and was prepared to let him pass without comment. Maybe Bard has an “arrangement” with him.

--I love Alfrid and have from the beginning. He is similar to Grima on the surface of course but to me is less over-the-top and theatrical; Alfrid seems more real. Ryan Gage’s performance is wonderful IMO. He brings a slimy, sardonic chirpiness to this corrupt character that makes him almost endearing.

--As I said above, it implies that the Master controls and takes a cut of everything. Alfrid speaks with the Master’s voice and is diligent about seeing his interests are served. But it seems that the Master’s hold on the town is not complete and he has to balance that against the mood of an apparently potentially rebellious populace.

8. How about the costuming here? Thoughts on the uniforms of the Master's men? Alfrid's?

--I enjoy the guards’ costumes, especially their armour and hats. They make the guards look like dorks, not because of the design itself, but because it all seems to be too large and nothing seems to fit quite right.

--Alfrid looks great in his black costume and I particularly like his hat. He’s a black hat of a different sort!

--I wouldn’t even try.

--The suspense works for me because even a book reader has no idea where PJ is going with this. We know the Dwarves won’t be killed but they could be captured and time is short.

11. Any thoughts on the staging of this scene? Cinematography? Editing? Lots of actors moving about on a tiny boat, all of a sudden.

--Of course we have all seen how the guards start dumping fish into the lake and we hear the splashing as Bard talks to Alfrid, but when they stop that barrels are still full. Ah, well.

--This scene tells us a lot about the situation in Laketown. The people are kept in penury by the Master, though perhaps they don’t know the extent of that. A man like Bard, who seems to be caring and honest and even noble, has to resort to smuggling to get by. On the other hand, Alfrid and the Master know that their hold on power is somewhat tenuous and dependant on a quiet and submissive populace which could turn on the Master if pushed too far. Bard knows that too and uses it to protect himself.

--Alfrid might be able to have Bard arrested but as he says, Bard has the favour of the people and so Alfrid would need some kind of reason for moving on Bard that they would accept. Rioting is apparently a real possibility. Bard seemingly loses his popular support when he goes up against Thorin and the dreams of wealth that the Dwarf spouts. This leaves him vulnerable.

--Also, Alfrid probably figures that the Master will blame him if there are riots.

--Bard is certainly not part of the ruling elite and Alfrid states that he is the champion of the people so his allegiance seems clear to me.

--Alfrid’s words are a pretty overt threat against Bard, and by implication his family but Bard turns it back on him and the Master. It seems to me that Bard’s words suggest that the Bard is well aware he is being watched (even before his next scene) and doesn’t really fear it, or at least is going to put up a brave front. He probably knows that his position is fairly strong at that moment. There is also a hint of a threat from Bard, an implication that the tables could be turned on the Master.

15. Any thoughts on the aesthetic of this shot? How are CGI working well/not so well? How about the music's role in conveying tone?

--All the shots of Laketown are lovely and the CGI is great as far as I am concerned. Those wonderful buildings, the mist from the lake, the sun rising to the east – beautiful.

16. Did the dogs take you out of the film at all? Are they okay to stay in your opinion, or no?

--Since I didn’t know that these were PJ’s dogs the first few times I saw DoS, it didn’t bother me then, nor does it now. I’m always happy to look at a dog and initially thought they were just there for atmosphere. Actually I think it’s kind of sweet.

17. What is your overall opinion of this scene, and its function in context to the previous scene(s) and the rest of the film?

--I think this little scene is excellent and does a lot in a short time. Even more than the previous scene in the boat, it tells us a great deal about the political and economic situation in Laketown, the domination of the Master and the position of Bard. Equally importantly, we learn a great deal about Bard. When we first meet him, Bard seems to be just a bargeman and smuggler and he is those things, as his smooth dealings with Percy at the toll gate attest. But we also learn that Bard is much more than that, a kind of “power” in the town, the champion and protector of the common folk who has their support.

18. Does this scene remind you of any other films, either in the sets or execution of the scene? Potential nods to other films?

--No, I must have missed that movie.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Oct 1 2014, 5:49pm

Post #8 of 31 (3263 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

1. I was overjoyed! It was everything I wanted and more. It completely captured my imagination.
2. Elizabethan England! There are so many nods to Tudor style architecture! I love how it has a feel of history to it.
3. The music also has a renaissance flair and reflects the mood perfectly! Genius on Shore's part!
4.The cinematography is beautiful! So life like!
5. I reminds me of the medieval guild system. People who were leather workers were only licensed and legally allowed to make the leather element of harnesses and if they made any of the metal elements they were seen as "working outside their trade" and could be severely punished. Another nice piece of history!
6. He is a lot like Grima!
7. That the officials in charge are corrupt.
8. The clothes are beautiful! Reading about the design concepts behind the clothes in the weta art books is always interesting.
10. The suspense was great. I gasped inside!
17. It works beautifully and is a highlight of ten film for me.

Great job by the way!

"And so they stood on the walls of the city of Gondor, and a great wind rose and blew, and their hair, raven and golden, streamed out mingling in the air."

elostirion74
Rohan

Oct 2 2014, 3:17pm

Post #9 of 31 (3200 views)
Shortcut
beautiful images, but a definite slant to the characterization [In reply to] Can't Post

First of all: Great work with the questions and the images!

It looked like a simpler and more "rustic" version of Venice. It looked very beautiful and atmospheric and all the details and intricacies of the buildings and the structures is a testament to all the thought that is put into envisaging and realising the town. The town looked more worn than I imagined, and also slightly foreboding. This is in keeping with the general approach they've taken with this part of the story and probably also due to the season, where we see the town at the start of winter instead of in late autumn.

Since it's a trading town, the customs system and the licences seem probable. Like others have said it also provides a system where the Master can generate a fixed sum of every transaction for himself and his followers.

My first impression was that he was a scheming person, liable to abuse his powers. Both Alfrid and the Master were among the great failures of the story for me. The obvious scheming and abuse of power which is attributed to them and the generally slanted characterisation of both made them much less interesting than they could have been.

It implies that there are clear regulations of the trading in town and people in place to enforce them.

The suspense of the scene worked for me at least. I didn't find it wholly credible, though, with the dumping of the fish. I think it would have been more likely that Alfrid either would try to strike a deal with Bard, or his cargo would have been put on hold until they worked out a way to circumvent the rules.

Hmmm. It's clearly implied that many people in Lake Town struggle to survive and there's a weak distribution of wealth and power within the population. I really disliked all of these implications and found them needlessly topical and unneccessary, without any basis in the story. It's not neccessary for people to be desperate and poor in order for them to long for a golden age.. The Master and Alfrid would also have been much more interesting if the audience could see them having some popular basis to their power and still be corruptible persons who make wrong priorities..

What I took from these parting lines was that Lake Town probably was ruled by some kind of dictator, or by an oligarchy, where people they disliked were put under surveillance. Again neither a neccessary or a good approach to the politics of the town..

Wonderful use of the sunlight and the light in general and how it appears in wintertime. The mix of light and shadow looks very believable.

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 3 2014, 12:39am

Post #10 of 31 (3169 views)
Shortcut
I see what you mean. [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked the editing a lot in this scene. The extreme wide shots from above give a nice, long look at the town. As you said, not a rushed feeling. The dwarves *have* been running all over in these films, so it's nice to have a pit stop of sorts.

The music is an interesting thing. I need to watch this trilogy more to get it fully engrained in my mind, but I know what you mean.

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 3 2014, 12:46am

Post #11 of 31 (3170 views)
Shortcut
Hi Lurker! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Were these PJ's own? Was quite amused by their synchronised doggingSmile PJ's, indeed.

Seriously, bravo you for putting this up on short order I deduce? Yep, a bit pressed on time. Especially since I had to do it all over again, as the post was deleted when I went to upload the screencaps. Blush

Felt like Venice plugged onto a very foggy Interlaken. Very different from my imagination. It seemed more brick-and-mortar, while in my mind, it's more woody... if that makes sense. Yeah, it's much sturdier than what I had imagined. I had the stilt image in my head forever.

Feels weird saying this, but Alfrid feels like the poor-man's version of Grima. No, I get that. There's a resemblance, which the costuming (and maybe even their speech) brings out more to me.

Both? Bard seems to know how Alfrid and the Master operates, and yet he's not party to their business. intriguing. Intriguing, indeed! There's an interesting dynamic at work here.

Thanks, cats16! Thanks for stopping by! Smile

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 3 2014, 12:58am

Post #12 of 31 (3184 views)
Shortcut
Stilts [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
--I think I imagined Laketown as closer to the shore and as a medieval village on stilts. In DoS as we the approach the town it appears more solid than that, almost as if it was on an island, but once we are inside that illusion is dispelled. Perhaps its design elements show more of an Eastern influence than the European look that I had imagined. But movie Laketown is great IMO, far superior to anything I ever envisioned. This is one of my favourite sets in all the five movies and more than most looks like a real place where people live and work and do real things, rather than the Renn Fair vibe that I got in some of PJ’s other ME towns.

Same here. I had the stilts in my head, with not nearly as much detail to it all. I didn't imagine it being so populated, either. Definitely looks like a real place, as you said.

--Everybody, including me, seems to love the Laketown theme, Shore’s “lake shanty”, even those who don’t care for the soundtrack otherwise. For me it evokes a sense of a bustling, busy community based on a “maritime” economy. It is also a bit regal and since it plays over Bard’s entrance into Laketown, it seems applicable to him as well. The music becomes quieter and more ominous for Bard and Alfrid’s confrontation but then the Laketown theme bursts out again triumphantly as Bard sculls away into the town with his barrels of fish and Dwarves.

Well said. I like your like about it being a bustling, busy maritime community. That sums up my thoughts quite well. There's that hint of regality to it, which is neat as well. It really conveys the idea that this town has fallen from what it used to be.

--The customs system is clearly designed to allow the Master complete control over all commerce in the town and to give him a cut of all transactions. However, it’s clear also that the customs officials are not entirely honest and are willing to ignore the regulations because Percy must have seen the fish in Bard’s barrels and was prepared to let him pass without comment. Maybe Bard has an “arrangement” with him.

My best guess is your last sentence being true. The way they talked reminded me of people who know that they're phones are wire-tapped, so they intentionally try to sound normal, as if nothing is out of the ordinary.

--I love Alfrid and have from the beginning. He is similar to Grima on the surface of course but to me is less over-the-top and theatrical; Alfrid seems more real. Ryan Gage’s performance is wonderful IMO. He brings a slimy, sardonic chirpiness to this corrupt character that makes him almost endearing.

I like how conversational he is, particularly with the Master. It just feels natural, and not forced.

--Of course we have all seen how the guards start dumping fish into the lake and we hear the splashing as Bard talks to Alfrid, but when they stop that barrels are still full. Ah, well.

Good eye. Hadn't noticed that yet!

--Alfrid might be able to have Bard arrested but as he says, Bard has the favour of the people and so Alfrid would need some kind of reason for moving on Bard that they would accept. Rioting is apparently a real possibility. Bard seemingly loses his popular support when he goes up against Thorin and the dreams of wealth that the Dwarf spouts. This leaves him vulnerable.

It's interesting, because I never got the vibe (from what we saw) that anyone in Lake-town was actually on Bard's side. They seemed to respect what he said, but I cannot recall a moment in which anyone other than his children give him much credit.

-- There is also a hint of a threat from Bard, an implication that the tables could be turned on the Master.

Very true.

--No, I must have missed that movie. Ah, I had one of the Pirates of the Caribbean films pop into my head. Especially when the dogs appeared; felt like a dock in the tropics for a brief second.

Thanks, Noria! Wonderful thoughts as always.

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 3 2014, 8:49am

Post #13 of 31 (3151 views)
Shortcut
History [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to hear that you found so many nods in the society/architecture. It's a great feeling when you see things done *correctly* in that regard.

Thanks, DoL!

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 3 2014, 10:52am

Post #14 of 31 (3150 views)
Shortcut
Ack, my own responses. [In reply to] Can't Post

Eh, I'll wait. I'm going to take advantage of the one time I can say "coming back to this," and be talking to myself. UnimpressedAngelic

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 3 2014, 11:06am

Post #15 of 31 (3145 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
First of all: Great work with the questions and the images! Thank you! Glad to see you drop by.

It looked like a simpler and more "rustic" version of Venice. It looked very beautiful and atmospheric and all the details and intricacies of the buildings and the structures is a testament to all the thought that is put into envisaging and realising the town. The town looked more worn than I imagined, and also slightly foreboding. This is in keeping with the general approach they've taken with this part of the story and probably also due to the season, where we see the town at the start of winter instead of in late autumn.

Rustic is a good way of describing it. It really feels like there could be a Google Earth view of the place; it's so well designed, and fully realized.

My first impression was that he was a scheming person, liable to abuse his powers. Both Alfrid and the Master were among the great failures of the story for me. The obvious scheming and abuse of power which is attributed to them and the generally slanted characterisation of both made them much less interesting than they could have been.

Interesting thoughts. So you feel that the representation of their abuse of power was too overt, if I'm understanding you correctly? We didn't really get much interaction between them and the people (besides when Thorin arrives), so I suppose it's harder to see the 'public' image that keeps their regime afloat (oh that's a horrible pun, yet I have to be proud of it Cool).

The suspense of the scene worked for me at least. I didn't find it wholly credible, though, with the dumping of the fish. I think it would have been more likely that Alfrid either would try to strike a deal with Bard, or his cargo would have been put on hold until they worked out a way to circumvent the rules.

It does seem a bit drastic. Although I thought it was more a show of force on Alfrid's part than anything else. It would have sent a clear message. So, I feel like he was going to harass Bard for whatever he could at that moment. I'm sure he was aware of Bard smuggling goods into the town before this, and wanted to intimidate Bard in the act.

Hmmm. It's clearly implied that many people in Lake Town struggle to survive and there's a weak distribution of wealth and power within the population. I really disliked all of these implications and found them needlessly topical and unneccessary, without any basis in the story. It's not neccessary for people to be desperate and poor in order for them to long for a golden age.. The Master and Alfrid would also have been much more interesting if the audience could see them having some popular basis to their power and still be corruptible persons who make wrong priorities..

Mmm, more interesting things to consider. Yeah, that kind of portrayal is very intriguing to think about. I wonder how this might reflect both producer and audience member desire to portray the 'ugly' and 'clearly corrupt' part of society. But, many times, it's the grey bits in the middle that can be addressed just as well. It's much more common to see a story about someone with both feet in the gutter of society than someone who isn't at either extreme, and sort of floats somewhere in the middle. Interesting thoughts there.

Wonderful use of the sunlight and the light in general and how it appears in wintertime. The mix of light and shadow looks very believable.

Completely agreed.

Thanks, elostirion!

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Oct 3 2014, 3:31pm

Post #16 of 31 (3133 views)
Shortcut
Forsaken town on a lake [In reply to] Can't Post

(Let's see if I can actually get this to post--I've lost it five times now...)

The music (some of my favorite from DOS) helps set the tone, as other have mentioned above, with a kind of Renaissance lake-shanty. Strangely enough, the Laketown theme also blends nicely with other DOS themes, and has a foreboding undertone that foreshadows upcoming events in Laketown.

The initial shot you show there, cats, is amazing. I love the angle of morning light filtering through fog. Unfortunately this is the kind of thing I normally take for granted unless someone points it out to me, say, in a TORn CHOW. Wink

I had pictured Laketown being rickety wood, but never actually so far out into the Lake. I like the location in terms of interesting design, though.

It kind of has an Elizabethan England feel to me, but with an Oriental twist. (It's the guards' helmets, I think.)

One of the design element details that makes my geeky heart sing is the "fishy" architecture. For instance, check out these two pics of Laketown:

Fins, anyone?

In this last one, the roof shingles look remarkably like fish scales to me, especially with the shiny ice/water on them.

Sounds like the Master gets a cut of everything that goes on in the town, and is designed to control wealth accumulation. Tongue

My daughter hides her eyes when he's on the screen because his monobrow creeps her out. Shocked I don't have any such problem--just looks smarmy, like a used-fish salesman. He seems like a more pedestrian Grima, less sinister and more earthy, perhaps, involving no wizards but mere human machinations. I actually find him more interesting now, because I wonder what schemes he has behind his manipulations of the Master.

I would never attempt to place a Dwarf in a barrel, even a respective one, without a small army behind me.

Angelic

The suspense works fine, because even book-firsters don't know what PJ has up his sleeve here. (Although I keep wondering how the Dwarves are breathing in there.)

I think Bard is making clear that threats can work both ways.

No, because the offal on the dock and the dogs sniffing through it added to the depressed atmosphere. I didn't initially know they were PJ's dogs, and the fact that they are pugs, which probably have an Eastern origin, adds to the atmosphere, I think.

This scene establishes Bard as a Man of the People, a leader able to win their allegiance, and to carry out daring schemes. I suspect that will be important in BotFA.

It's also interesting that Bard isn't arrested at this point, but after he loses face in the later confrontation with Thorin before the town, apparently the Master feels it's safe to arrest him finally.

On another note, the bridge to land seems to be going off to the left, so we are approaching the Town from the opposite side of the Lake from Erebor. (In some of the last shots of the movie, Smaug is flying toward the town from Erebor, and the bridge goes off to the right from the Town.) So why can't we see Erebor in the distance?? Crazy

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Kim
Valinor

Oct 4 2014, 2:42am

Post #17 of 31 (3118 views)
Shortcut
Go fish [In reply to] Can't Post

I love this opening shot. It’s such a great view across the expanse of the city. I didn’t really have a picture in my head from the book, so this works for me.

I’ve heard it described as Dickens on water – sounds about right. It feels disheveled, cold and miserable. You can just feel the cold and wet from the lake permeating the whole town.

I love the music – this was one of the few themes that stuck with me after the first viewing, before I got the soundtrack.

The town looks run down, kind of lopsided. Quite a contrast to the grand beauty and perfection of Rivendell and the Woodland Realm. But in a way, reminiscent of Bree.

One thing that caught my eye the last time I watched it: what kind of stamp was that Percy used? Seems kind of modern.

Slimy. Creepy. Makes my skin crawl. But not as extreme as Grima. More like a bully who likes to abuse his power.

Love that shot of Bombur’s eye too!

It sets a tone of a closed, tightly controlled society. Bard has a good relationship with Percy though.

Afrid’s is pretty utilitarian and plain, but the guards stand out - lots of material, very rich and warm. We’ll see that they’re quite a contrast to what the residents wear – theirs almost seem like rags, while the guards are outfitted quite well by the Master.

Left to right: Balin, Dwalin, Fili, Kili, Oin, Gloin, Bifur, Thorin, Ori, Bofur, Bombur, Nori, Dori. How’d I do? Tongue

Yes, I think so. But can you imagine if we had seen the dwarves getting dumped in the lake?

I thought it was a good way to expose us to the claustrophobic, oppressive society, starting with Percy’s cramped office.

Well, Alfrid pretty much just wants to assert his power, so reasoning with him doesn’t really work at first. Not until Bard makes him see the bigger picture and possible consequences of his actions.

At this point, Alfrid still realizes that he needs to have some kind of excuse, especially in front Percy ie a witness. It interesting that he doesn’t charge a fine or confiscate the fish though.

It’s funny ‘cause it’s true. It does seem to show that Bard isn’t really afraid of Alfrid.

Again, another great shot, and the music really emphasizes the grand scale. CGI looks perfectly real.

Not at all, I didn’t see any problem with them, it seemed perfectly normal to see dogs running around, and it was yet another way to show the state of the town – dirty and run down.

It helps to underscore what we’d seen in the previous scenes where Bard was reluctant to have anything to do with the dwarves, and why he came up with the fish plan. And it helps to establish the upcoming scenes in Lake-town.

In a way, it’s reminiscent of Edoras, another city of Men with a great theme. But much more claustrophobic.

19. Any more thoughts on technical items omitted in earlier questions? Any other comments at all?

Thorin’s hair: even though we can’t actually see it in this scene, we can well imagine the conditioning treatment it’s getting under the pile of fish, silky locks just waiting to be uncovered. Smile

Thanks cats!

Join us every weekend for The Hobbit Chapter of the Week discussions!

Kim
Valinor

Oct 4 2014, 2:57am

Post #18 of 31 (3112 views)
Shortcut
But we're still waiting for your response too! [In reply to] Can't Post

You crack me up. Although, I sympathize with the pain of posting, then losing all your work and having to do it again. Crazy

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 4 2014, 3:29am

Post #19 of 31 (3111 views)
Shortcut
Thoughts back atcha... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

(Let's see if I can actually get this to post--I've lost it five times now...) That seems to be a common thread in this...thread. Angelic

The initial shot you show there, cats, is amazing. I love the angle of morning light filtering through fog. Unfortunately this is the kind of thing I normally take for granted unless someone points it out to me, say, in a TORn CHOW. Wink It's easy to forget how much we take for granted in each shot. It all looks too easy for them, sometimes.

I had pictured Laketown being rickety wood, but never actually so far out into the Lake. I like the location in terms of interesting design, though.

Same here. I never imagined the lake being so vast.

In this last one, the roof shingles look remarkably like fish scales to me, especially with the shiny ice/water on them.

Oh wow. Nice catch there! Very pretty with that white light bouncing off it it, too. Very fishy, indeed.

My daughter hides her eyes when he's on the screen because his monobrow creeps her out. Shocked I don't have any such problem--just looks smarmy, like a used-fish salesman. He seems like a more pedestrian Grima, less sinister and more earthy, perhaps, involving no wizards but mere human machinations. I actually find him more interesting now, because I wonder what schemes he has behind his manipulations of the Master.

Good point. We never really see what he's doing behind the Master's back. Probably some nasty things. Aww, the monobrow is probably more afraid of her than she is of it. Tongue Lol, love your used-fish salesman comment.

I would never attempt to place a Dwarf in a barrel, even a respective one, without a small army behind me.

Angelic

Haha!

The suspense works fine, because even book-firsters don't know what PJ has up his sleeve here. (Although I keep wondering how the Dwarves are breathing in there.)

I think it's a nice nod to the 'floating down the river' book scene. PJ does this often, I think, without much credit from some detractors. It's nice seeing a lot of things, albeit altered to his imagining of it all.

It's also interesting that Bard isn't arrested at this point, but after he loses face in the later confrontation with Thorin before the town, apparently the Master feels it's safe to arrest him finally.

I have to wonder how Lake-town would have benefited from something like Twitter. #FreeBard

On another note, the bridge to land seems to be going off to the left, so we are approaching the Town from the opposite side of the Lake from Erebor. (In some of the last shots of the movie, Smaug is flying toward the town from Erebor, and the bridge goes off to the right from the Town.) So why can't we see Erebor in the distance?? Crazy

Hadn't seen that before. I'll try to remember to look the next time I watch the movie.

Thanks, R-D! Nice thoughts, even after having to go through it all several times to make it work. Wink

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 4 2014, 5:15am

Post #20 of 31 (3110 views)
Shortcut
Ah... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Were these PJ's own? Was quite amused by their synchronised doggingSmile PJ's, indeed.

Wonder if his cat got a cameo somewhere too.

In Reply To
Seriously, bravo you for putting this up on short order I deduce? Yep, a bit pressed on time. Especially since I had to do it all over again, as the post was deleted when I went to upload the screencaps. Blush

Commiserations on the post-death. Hates when it happens. I get paranoid these days and will save before pressing any of the buttons while mid-draft for a long post. Can't do a thing about attachments thoughFrownCrazyUnsure

Fan of both books and movies; I am a lurker by nature though it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Thranduil Appreciation
Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XVI
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare! Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 4 2014, 11:46am

Post #21 of 31 (3099 views)
Shortcut
I preferred Uno, myself... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I’ve heard it described as Dickens on water – sounds about right. It feels disheveled, cold and miserable. You can just feel the cold and wet from the lake permeating the whole town.

Yeah, I don't find it hard to imagine a ME-version of Pip running around here in his story.

The town looks run down, kind of lopsided. Quite a contrast to the grand beauty and perfection of Rivendell and the Woodland Realm. But in a way, reminiscent of Bree.

Bree comes to mind for me, too. I guess the world of Men has a certain flare for design. Wink

One thing that caught my eye the last time I watched it: what kind of stamp was that Percy used? Seems kind of modern.

Haven't noticed that one. I'll keep my eye open next time.

Bard has a good relationship with Percy though.

Good point there. Percy seems like a decent fellow. Nice to see those characters who aren't good/bad, just normal folks doing their daily thing.

Left to right: Balin, Dwalin, Fili, Kili, Oin, Gloin, Bifur, Thorin, Ori, Bofur, Bombur, Nori, Dori. How’d I do? Tongue

For all I know, you got them all correct. Angelic

Yes, I think so. But can you imagine if we had seen the dwarves getting dumped in the lake?

That would have been awkward, haha.

I thought it was a good way to expose us to the claustrophobic, oppressive society, starting with Percy’s cramped office.

Ah, I seem to have missed his office as well. Nice observations!

At this point, Alfrid still realizes that he needs to have some kind of excuse, especially in front Percy ie a witness. It interesting that he doesn’t charge a fine or confiscate the fish though.

Yeah, I would have thought he would have done *something*, still. He does appear to have the legal (although not moral) right to impose some sort of action against him. But public opinion is a heck of a thing, I suppose.

It helps to underscore what we’d seen in the previous scenes where Bard was reluctant to have anything to do with the dwarves, and why he came up with the fish plan. And it helps to establish the upcoming scenes in Lake-town.

My only question: where did he get the fish so quickly? Obviously something happened off screen that allowed for it; but, one would think that he somehow conspired with a fisherman to make it all work out quietly.

Thorin’s hair: even though we can’t actually see it in this scene, we can well imagine the conditioning treatment it’s getting under the pile of fish, silky locks just waiting to be uncovered. Smile

Ah, dang--I thought I was going to be the one to foil the hair observations. Touché. I didn't know that ME also was into 'all natural' supplements. Cool

Thanks cats!

Thanks to you, Kim! Can't believe this train has already arrived in Lake-town.

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 4 2014, 11:47am

Post #22 of 31 (3097 views)
Shortcut
A cat posts precisely when he means to. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I needed a buffer period for this one. Cool I like to think that someday, I will catch up with all of my intended replies/messages here. But that is not this day--this day I procrastinate!! Angelic

(This post was edited by cats16 on Oct 4 2014, 11:48am)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 4 2014, 1:06pm

Post #23 of 31 (3090 views)
Shortcut
Since everyone has come to the same [In reply to] Can't Post

Opinions &
Observationzz bomby has of this great set, too.
Ol' bom would like to give it? an
Over-all World View?

As we visit the different cultures, there is an
UP then Down Beat. (Repeat)

Hobbiton... UP
Farm's house & TrollShaws... Down
Rivendell..Way UP
Goblintown..down, down, down...
Carrock...UP!

Beorn's House...UP yet scary
Mirkwood..down
The ElvinKing's Hall..UP yet very scary
Barrel's on the River FUN, FUN, then Really Funny
with scary to Counter Balance, it...

SSOoo. when we get to Laketown?
"The Dawn of the AGE of Men"
has not yet come to pass..

(Not until Aragorn is crowned KING, does the Age of the Elvezz END)

The Laketowners have been reduced to.. desperate
Suppliers &
Smugglerz?
for a
RICH Thrandruil &
Ruined by Smaug...

WE get to visit the general struggling to be BORN
World of Men &
What our
Ancient
Ancestors have been reduced to.

EACH set
Plays itzz
PART Brilliantly

Also, jus' knowin' in
Advance? how this Place
Dies..ADDz sooo..more to it'z
Drama..

Depressin'
Doomed Laketown...

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 4 2014, 1:47pm

Post #24 of 31 (3084 views)
Shortcut
I'll buy you a beer should that day ever arrive [In reply to] Can't Post

*disappears into the shadows*

Kim
Valinor

Oct 4 2014, 5:54pm

Post #25 of 31 (3082 views)
Shortcut
Games! We love games! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, Uno was quite addictive, wasn't it?

For all I know, you got them all correct. Angelic

Woohoo! I won! Laugh

My only question: where did he get the fish so quickly? Obviously something happened off screen that allowed for it; but, one would think that he somehow conspired with a fisherman to make it all work out quietly.

Well, we did see him negotiating with the guy on the dock (aka Jabez), although the question might be, how did the fisherman have so many fish that early in the morning? Or maybe since they were outside the city gates, there was a bit more free trade?

Ah, dang--I thought I was going to be the one to foil the hair observations. Touché. I didn't know that ME also was into 'all natural' supplements. Cool

Silly cats, haven't you figured it out by now - I can talk about Thorin's hair in any situation, even if you can't actually see him on screen. And yes, I'd say it makes perfect sense that ME had all natural supplements. Laugh

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.