Whither the Reading Room?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Oct 1 2014, 7:33am

Post #1 of 48 (1369 views)
Shortcut
Whither the Reading Room? Can't Post

Activity in the form of new topics has been pretty low, of late. Children of Hurin wrapped up, and Brethel suggested another pass through LotR, starting with Fellowship in "September". I think that would be a great idea, as it's been quite a while and there are a number of new people here. But September is gone. If Brethil wants to organize it, that would be great, but I am also willing to manage the schedule if you'd like. What say you all?

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Oct 1 2014, 7:34am)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 1 2014, 8:16am

Post #2 of 48 (1094 views)
Shortcut
LOTR--coming soon [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the offer, Elizabeth.

Brethil has been busy in real life lately, and may still organize the discussion, but it will need to wait a few months, probably until December or so. A number of regulars like me have gotten a bit burnt out by endless chapter discussions, which were all enjoyable, but even fun things can become a routine that you need a break from. Participation in COH was getting very low by the end. Poor Rembrethil had to wait a week and answer all his own posts when no one else did, and his efforts were admirable (and funny). Speaking for myself, after discussing 3 books in a row, I felt like I was beginning to say the same Tolkien things over and over and was getting stale.

What people are doing more now is posting on specific topics of interest, and I think that's a great thing to do at all times, and more so when book discussions are on hold.

I think when we do start the LOTR read-through, we can break it up into its 6 books and rotate the scheduling among different people so that no single person is saddled with all the scheduling and recruiting for the next 1 1/2 years. Plus I think it's desirable to get everyone in the community involved that wants to be. I'll be happy to schedule/recruit for a chunk or two myself, and I know several are willing.

I'll propose early December as the start-up time, knowing that there's usually a holiday lull in participation soon after, and there will be lulls if we have more Symposia. We can work around things like that. I also think we should insert some 2- or 3-week breaks in between the 6 books to allow people to recharge between them.

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 1 2014, 9:17am

Post #3 of 48 (1038 views)
Shortcut
A thought or two. [In reply to] Can't Post

I like CG's idea of a December start, ringing in the new year with FOTR. I believe the next Symposium is set for November; would it work to start up after that? Curious what the majority here think.

I'm looking forward to hosting/helping out more in the future, as time allows. I was a bit thrown off at the end of CoH, leaving the country for an extended period. Hoping to be adjusted back to normal when LOTR starts up.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 1 2014, 10:10am

Post #4 of 48 (1035 views)
Shortcut
I'd be willing to join in again by the end of the year [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't been able to post here at all this year, or join in the Symposium as I wanted to. Work took over - and I tend to shy away from the Reading Room if I don't have much time because it takes more time - time to look things up and think them through. The other forums lend themselves to more 'off the cuff' posting.

Glassary
Rivendell

Oct 1 2014, 5:23pm

Post #5 of 48 (1003 views)
Shortcut
December sounds great [In reply to] Can't Post

Hiya Elizabeth,
Never participated in the reading room but would love to chime in on things.
Hadn't read COH (I know my bad) so didn't have anything and just watched.
Think announcing it and starting in December would be great.
Give anyone new time to re-read and brush up on FOTR.
Maybe a good date to start would be the day of the films release which I think
shows as 12-19-2001 on IMDB.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2014, 9:35pm

Post #6 of 48 (1012 views)
Shortcut
Hi! It's me....or is it us? [In reply to] Can't Post

Poor Rembrethil had to wait a week and answer all his own posts when no one else did, and his efforts were admirable (and funny).

Yeah...I remember that. It was pretty funny, wasn't it?....Crazy

It has been a little quiet in here as of late. Perhaps something to do with all the gloomy talk of 'doom' 'death' and 'curses'. I sympathise on the merry-go-round feeling CG, and after being frustrsated by Turin Tongue, I think we all need(ed) a bit of a break.

I like the idea of starting in December, after the Symposium. Hopefully that will round up a few of the stragglers and get them set for another long-term discussion. Also, winter holidays will be coming up, so that might mean more involvement. When we do start, I believe that I could help organise a goodly portion. Our dear Brethil, and others, have been terribly busy and preoccupied with RL, as of late, so we all might need a bit more time before we undertake such a large task.

I do believe the plan was to discuss each of the six books in turn, and discuss shorter works, stories, poems, and letter between them to allow everyone to catch up.

In the meantime, I do have a few discussion ideas, and once I get the time to put a coherent post together, I will post a few.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 1 2014, 10:35pm

Post #7 of 48 (1026 views)
Shortcut
See, Rem still needs a some enforced vacation [In reply to] Can't Post

since he refers to himself in the plural, Gollum-like. Though since everyone here has a pseudonym, it's possible he's really The Prince of Wales in real life and is just using the royal "we" out of habit. I guess we'll each have to decide on that ourselves.

Jokes aside, Turin is gloomy, isn't he? Not that that's news to me or anyone else, but COH is a downer, and maybe that helped sap our energy too. That's it--we got caught up in his curse too! So if anyone here has recently taken their clothes off and run witless through the woods, you have a good reason behind you.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Oct 2 2014, 4:43pm

Post #8 of 48 (972 views)
Shortcut
As a possible alternative to the traditional read-through: "favourite LOTR chapters" [In reply to] Can't Post

As a possible alternative to the traditional read-through, if some of us are a bit bored of that, would be to get people to volunteer to lead a discussion on their favourite chapter of LOTR (or indeed, their least-favourite).

I imagine it having similarities to a read- through:
It would probably be as well to get people to sign up, so that nobody risks the frustration of being well into writing up their favourite chapter, only to find that someone else has posted it.

It might also be worth not having too many discussions going on at once (either by having a formal schedule, or by asking people to hold off a few days if a discussion is already roaring along).

The content of the OP at least might also resemble a read-through: I expect the poster would want to outline what happens in the chapter, then say why he or she likes/does not like it so much. That might, of course be some personal resonance, as well or rather than merits of the plot or prose.

It's a similar enough project to a read-through that I wouldn't suggest we do the two at the same time...

But in other ways it might be interestingly different:
There's no need to do chapters in order, so it divorces it from actually reading the whole book (I'm assuming here that a lot of us know the story well enough to be able to jump around in it without confusion). That might make it easier to join in.

A further advantage of not needing to do chapters in order is that the schedule doesn't get disrupted if someone has to drop out or needs more time- the next person just does their chapter, & we do the missing chapter later.

There's no need to do all the chapters, so none of the feeling of weariness that we'll be at this for months (which I've seen as an objection to read-throughs).

Asking discussion leaders to champion their favourite chapter (or to explain why they find a certain chapter not so much fun) might produce some different chapter leads - I think it might be interesting to have someone point out merits in a chapter I myself had missed, or to find out that someone didn't like much a chapter I did like.
(on other sites that could all go down in the flames of ad hominem attacks about how someone must be stupid not to see the merits of...., but I doubt that will happen here).

We might, of course end up covering the whole of LOTR: it would be interesting to see which chapters had no champions, but the very idea that such-and-such a chapter is unloved might bring forth more leaders

~~~~~~

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

noWizardme
Half-elven

Oct 2 2014, 4:45pm

Post #9 of 48 (950 views)
Shortcut
but the old that is strong does not "whither"... // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 2 2014, 5:12pm

Post #10 of 48 (977 views)
Shortcut
OMG! NARF! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just kidding. (And for those who don't know, NARF = Not a real fan.).

That is an interesting approach that I'd be open to trying. What do others think?

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Oct 3 2014, 1:12am

Post #11 of 48 (955 views)
Shortcut
Ahhhhh!!! Cheeky monkey, you are too clever! [In reply to] Can't Post

You've discovered our secret!! Shocked Uh....I mean my secret...singular... cuz I'm one person.... mostly..... And you're not even close....nope... nowhere near the truth...Unimpressed Now where are our family.... We have the distinct feeling of being the world's victim, and have a compulsion to not listen to anyone else's advice. They said to report such urges immediately....Unsure Well...I think we'll just stay here. How bad could these symptoms get? Laugh

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Oct 3 2014, 1:15am

Post #12 of 48 (948 views)
Shortcut
It'd be different... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's a clever idea, but it would depart greatly from the normal chronological study. I can't say that I'm for or against it, but I do see how it might combat boredom and general ennui. If the majority like the idea, I am not opposed to doing so, however it might make it more difficult for newbies to join in. I guess it comes down to what the main participants feel their schedule can handle.

What say you, Fellowship of the Room?

Kim
Valinor

Oct 3 2014, 1:15am

Post #13 of 48 (954 views)
Shortcut
As a RR neophyte [In reply to] Can't Post

I was looking forward to a LOTR reading discussion as a prompt to get me to read the books again (last time was 10 years ago, and only once prior to that). I was hoping to read the book along with the discussion as I want to take a little more time to more fully appreciate what I'm reading and discuss with others as I go. I haven't read any books other than The Hobbit and LOTR, so haven't really had a chance to participate in discussion here yet. However, I do understand that for the regulars who have been around for years, this might be boring or too much "been there, done that". Would it help any if we did 2 chapters a week to help it go a little faster, and maybe do some compare and contrast?

Join us every weekend for The Hobbit Chapter of the Week discussions!

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Oct 3 2014, 1:27am

Post #14 of 48 (943 views)
Shortcut
That's a little of what I meant in my post... [In reply to] Can't Post

I myself haven't read LotR in a decent amount of time, and I do have a completion-ist mindset that inclines me to go from A to Zed in the accepted order. What to do...

Perhaps we could have two discussions? One for a steady read-through, and another tour-the-famous-sights one for those who need a little more sprightly pace? Maybe we can trade off weeks; one week for a chronological chapter and another for a favourite?

I'm sure we can work something out!Smile Ideas???

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 3 2014, 1:41am

Post #15 of 48 (950 views)
Shortcut
I think trying to do both might be a little confusing [In reply to] Can't Post

But I still get you confused with Brethil, so I'm easily confused anyway. (Then again, she could be part of your "we"-ness. I'm peeling away your veils of secrecy like an onion, aha!)

I personally wouldn't be bored going chapter by chapter, and I was here for the last RR round of LOTR. We have enough new people that the perspectives are bound to be different. And it's a good point that for new people, it would be easier for them to follow something chronological. As it is, we're bound to bounce around anyway. "Why did the fox in the Shire talk to himself? Can you imagine a fox in Rohan talking? Why don't we ever hear what Bill the Pony thinks, but we hear from an anonymous fox?" >>>See, that kind of thing spans several chapters right there, and that's the sort of thing we do already.

It's been a long time since I've read LOTR cover to cover, since I bounce and browse around. I don't get bored until Appendix D or so.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Oct 3 2014, 2:21am

Post #16 of 48 (946 views)
Shortcut
Alright. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's one vote for chronological. (Are we even doing this democratically?Crazy)

I think that we should at least try to come to a general consensus, but also take into account the feelings of the organisers. What would this mean for them? All the work falls on their shoulders, after all.

Yes, we do ramble --I as much as any. That kind of thing, (In addition to our impromptu exercises in punning) keeps things lively enough to stave off boredom, IMO, especially if we get new people involved. There are always those who wonder why the Ringwraiths didn't just take the Ring, or think that Balrogs actually have wings!! (Silly NARF's)Tongue I kid.

If I had to choose, I'd go with a chronoliogical format, but then again I'm more in the newbie camp than aught else.... Maybe I'm not as well-versed as other...*Ahem*... more experienced members.

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 3 2014, 8:41am

Post #17 of 48 (932 views)
Shortcut
FWIW... [In reply to] Can't Post

As a total-newbie too, I like the idea of doing it chronologically.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 3 2014, 2:52pm

Post #18 of 48 (920 views)
Shortcut
I'll vote chrono. / [In reply to] Can't Post

"My friend,” said Gandalf, “you had horses, and deeds of arms, and the free fields; but she, born in the body of a maid, had a spirit and courage at least the match of yours. Yet she was doomed to wait upon an old man, whom she loved as a father, and watch him falling into a mean dishonoured dotage; and her part seemed to her more ignoble than that of the staff he leaned on.
“Think you that Wormtongue had poison only for Théoden's ears? ‘Dotard! What is the house of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek, and their brats roll on the floor among their dogs?’ Have you not heard those words before? Saruman spoke them, the teacher of Wormtongue. Though I do not doubt that Wormtongue at home wrapped their meaning in terms more cunning. My lord, if your sister's love for you, and her will still bent to her duty, had not restrained her lips; you might have heard even such things as these escape them. But who knows what she spoke to the darkness, alone, in the bitter watches of the night, when all her life seemed shrinking, and the walls of her bower closing in about her, a hutch to trammel some wild thing in?”

“I'm gonna wash Rohan right outa my hair,
I'm gonna wash Rohan right outa my hair,
And I’ll be on my way!

“If a land don't understand you,
No matter how many regimes,
Saddle up, do not wait,
Don’t waste time at the weapontake.
Muster out of that roll call.
Ride Windfola out to your dreams!

“If the house of Eorl is nothing more,
Than a barn where brigands drink,
Their brats and dogs roll on the floor,
Then you know what the door is for,
Muster out of that roll call,
Wash Rohan into the sink!

“I'm gonna wash Rohan right outa my hair,
And I’ll be on my way!"

-Rodgers and Hammerstein, The Lord of the Rings

a.s.
Valinor

Oct 3 2014, 11:15pm

Post #19 of 48 (951 views)
Shortcut
Oldtimer voting chronological order [In reply to] Can't Post

Even in its heyday, LOTR brought the most discussions to the RR. I haven't participated in quite awhile and missed any recent discussions, but if it's anything like the first discussion of COH, that wasn't too popular either, as I recall.

I'm a LONG time book fan (read, "old") and I only ever like talking about LOTR in any depth. There's stuff there for the scholar as well as the ordinary reader, I think.

Anyhow, reading chronologically gives the people doing later chapters an opportunity to point out an earlier chapter discussion. For instance, I don't think you can really understand Frodo on Mt. Doom unless you understand Chapter 2.

But that will have to wait for a chapter discussion!

Angelic

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Maciliel
Valinor

Oct 5 2014, 1:50pm

Post #20 of 48 (899 views)
Shortcut
while i [In reply to] Can't Post

while i appreciate the unconventional thinking of doing a non-chronological order, i am opposed to it. i have been looking forward to a chronological read-through of lotr ever since i joined torn (a year and a half ago).

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Oct 5 2014, 6:10pm

Post #21 of 48 (904 views)
Shortcut
You must remember... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that although some of us have been through multiple LotR read-throughs on TORn, we have a lot of new people brought in from the Hobbit movies or otherwise discovering TORn for the first time. Whether they are long-time Tolkien fans or have newly discovered his riches, they will appreciate a sequential read-through.

It's really better for most people to see the chapters in context. I've participated in 6 read-throughs here, and look forward to another. Go with a sequential schedule, and those who look for favorite chapters can find them in the schedule and chime in.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Oct 5 2014, 6:11pm

Post #22 of 48 (901 views)
Shortcut
Yay! If you or Brethil needs help, let me know.// [In reply to] Can't Post

noWizardme
Half-elven

Oct 5 2014, 8:39pm

Post #23 of 48 (894 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like chronological is the way to go then [In reply to] Can't Post

Fine by me: I'd be happy with that myself; it's just that I'm blessed/cursed with the need to suggest alternatives... Smile

~~~~~~

Mikah
Lorien

Oct 6 2014, 4:03am

Post #24 of 48 (890 views)
Shortcut
Oh geez ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Those posts were too funny Rem, Rem. I remember them well. I even read them to my husband who could not stop laughing. I am pretty sure it was the first time somebody laughed in reference to CoH.

I kind of agree with CG here too. I know I got tired of myself leading chapter discussions. I kind of lost heart and felt the same way CG did, like I was repeating myself and had nothing new to add to the conversation. Goodness, I even messed up completely and posted one the wrong week...remember that???Blush Pretty embarrassing stuff! December will work out great, give me time to finish the other three books that I have started!

Maciliel
Valinor

Oct 6 2014, 4:40am

Post #25 of 48 (892 views)
Shortcut
it was that darn turin [In reply to] Can't Post

it was that darn turin. but the curse was morgoth's.

i suppose we must bear the responsibility. it was we who invited turin into the reading room, even though we knew in advance what a stormcrow he is.

wait --

i have an idea for the reading room. to blow off a little steam and to reverse the curse of turin -- erm -- morgoth.

what if we take turns rewriting children of hurin? it doesn't have to end happily, if you don't want, but we could add some balance to turin overweening. how does one say "overweening" in elvish?

i'd give more play to nienor, develop her into an instrument of counter-curse. turin leaves doriath, nienor takes his place as thingol's foster-daughter. she learns woodcraft from beleg. they form an attachment, then love. she roams around, doing brave and good deeds, and gains reknown for behaving sensibly. she meets up with haleth. more adventures.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.