Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
wich one of the EE´s documentaries are you enjoying the most? Hobbit or LOTR?

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Sep 30 2014, 9:36pm

Post #1 of 16 (1327 views)
Shortcut
wich one of the EE´s documentaries are you enjoying the most? Hobbit or LOTR? Can't Post

I think its because I did not witnessed the anticipation of the LOTR movies, but I have been following day by day the process of the making of The Hobbit. I find funnier and more enjoyable Hobbit extras this far. For a wider experience like LOTR was I find Hobbit .extras more enjoyable.

But in terms of showing design process LOTR EE estras are astonishing.

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 30 2014, 10:02pm

Post #2 of 16 (895 views)
Shortcut
I find them all enjoyable... [In reply to] Can't Post

..particularly those sections which look at things that really interest me most in both films - design, costume, people and daily life on the set, the Tolkien documentaries on the LotR EEs.

It doesn't have to be a competition, does it - can't we just like them both?

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 30 2014, 10:25pm

Post #3 of 16 (879 views)
Shortcut
They belong together. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's why I find them hard to separate.

Some people complained the lack of "Tolkien" but looking back at the LotR EEs, there is a lot on the Hobbit there already. A complete biography actually. So I am fine with what they do for TH. The structure got more intuitive imho.

So all is very well... I have so many movies I would love to ha e something even half as complete and good.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Dcole4
Rohan

Oct 1 2014, 12:09am

Post #4 of 16 (872 views)
Shortcut
The writing... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would love to get a nice 30-45 minute extra on the writing process on these films. Preferably on the next EE so that they can cover the whole spectrum of the three films. The AUJ EE was very light in fully justifying the 3 film split. The LOTR EE's on the other hand were very candid (and not always flattering) when describing the writing process and some of the directions they explored (Arwen at Helms Deep/ moving Shelob to film 3, etc. etc.)

I'd love something equally in-depth describing their thought process behind the expansion of the material and the changes they've made.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Oct 1 2014, 2:37am

Post #5 of 16 (810 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Book-to-Screen were my favorites on the LOTR EEs, showing the changes, and most of them made sense for a film, so... With the three film split, I'd also like to know why some thing changed, mainly Bolg/Azog. But really, they haven't cut out anything to warrant something like this, or drastically changed a character, and most of the little changes are easily explained in that it makes for better film. I guess LOTR had the book-to-screen segment since events and such were shifted out of order from the book (or placed chronologically). With TH, they haven't really changed events from the book, in that they haven't switched a scene to later than it should be in the book, etc. With making the barrel sequence more action-packed, the easy answer for the change is it makes for more exciting cinema and ups the ante. So I guess I see why this segment isn't in TH EEs.

But in the case of which one I like better, hard to choose, both have such great information in them, although I'd give TH's EE layout the edge, as it's more easier to navigate, and I like how the behind the scenes goes in order from the beginning of the film to the end.

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2014, 5:51am

Post #6 of 16 (786 views)
Shortcut
I find all the documentaries of both trilogy's EEs fascinating, [In reply to] Can't Post

but since the LotR trilogy are much better films, i'm more invested in the people and stories of those appendices. Besides, i love the bigatures.

Barrel_Rider
The Shire

Oct 1 2014, 7:21am

Post #7 of 16 (787 views)
Shortcut
so far... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit, only because of how PJ had to take control in such a little time.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Oct 1 2014, 8:10am

Post #8 of 16 (757 views)
Shortcut
This is so true Barrel Rider! [In reply to] Can't Post

People often forget that Jackson had at least 2 years for pre-production in the LOTR period and was a captain from the very beginning,while in the Hobbit he had only some months,i don't remember exactly how much.It's a mirracle how he and the crew have managed to pull that demanding task off.This is the reason i will always feel an enormous gratitude towards these people.

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Oct 1 2014, 8:15am

Post #9 of 16 (760 views)
Shortcut
LOTR movies are not much better imo. [In reply to] Can't Post

They are just better and the principle reason (for me) is the story of both trilogies.LOTR,always was and always will be a much more intriguing story than the one of the Hobbit.They cannot even be slightly compared.An episodic fairy tale adventure with some epic elements compared to the most epic fantasy story of the previous century.

jtarkey
Rohan

Oct 1 2014, 9:26am

Post #10 of 16 (747 views)
Shortcut
I honestly cant stand this argument for The Hobbits shortcomings. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a beautifully personal and introspective tale that could have been equal to lord of the rings if the execution was different.

Why do people think the fate of the world needs to be hanging in the balance to make a good film?

There are plenty of movies I love more than The Hobbit films, and almost none of them deal with the fate of everything and everyone.

I recently made a thread about this, but I like the How to Train your Dragon films better than The Hobbit. Why? Because they have well thought out story beats, charm, and mostly tastefully humor.

Like what you like, but don't mistake plot for quality.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

^^^ That unnecessary apostrophe and "e" is due to the leaf itself. And this part of the signature was documented quite some time after the effect had worn off.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Oct 1 2014, 11:30am

Post #11 of 16 (706 views)
Shortcut
The comparison between these two [In reply to] Can't Post

is a very frequent argument you encounter in the internet boards and here as well.They shouldn't be compared but unfortunately they are...constantly.

jtarkey wrote:Why do people think the fate of the world needs to be hanging in the balance to make a good film?

Noone has said that.You can make wonderful films based on the hobbit and lotr books.They are both exquisite stories.And we are lucky to have marvellous movies based on these stories imo.BUT when the comparison comes into the "game",quality of both execution and the story itself is crucial and unavoidable.What i was saying is the fact that i am really fond of he execution of the story in both cases but as far as the STORY ITSELF,i find big differences.They are both great but imo,the LOTR one is greater than the other.

I am happy you liked HTTYD.I liked it very much too.I just do not believe they have better execution than the Hobbit films.

Ultimately,i like what i like of course.And i like both plots of Tolkien's masterworks.And i am also fond of the execution.But if someone asked me which one do you prefer,i would give them a clear and straight answer without further thought: "i love them both but i prefer LOTR,not for the execution but for the simple and main reason that i am more into the LOTR depth of story.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2014, 3:05pm

Post #12 of 16 (659 views)
Shortcut
I second you totally . // [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Oct 1 2014, 6:06pm

Post #13 of 16 (630 views)
Shortcut
i am among those who love them both [In reply to] Can't Post

And I remember how surprised I was when I heard Kiwi accent for the first time and how difficult it was. Now I find it really endearing.
The bts were a concept that Pj invented for Lotr and they are amazing for their exclusive inside into... everything concerning this project!!
My favourite parts are the ones about the actors and their life on set and the parts about the script.

That said, I must admit that my number 1 so far is the creation and casting of the dwarves. HeartHeart

dubulous
Rohan

Oct 1 2014, 9:08pm

Post #14 of 16 (600 views)
Shortcut
I love both but actually prefer the Hobbit EE documentaries // [In reply to] Can't Post

Bard'sBlackArrow
Lorien

Oct 2 2014, 12:36am

Post #15 of 16 (588 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit for me [In reply to] Can't Post

The dwarf material is fantastic and most of it is fascinating, and as I am more fond of The Hobbit than LoTR is another reason.

... on the other side of tomorrow...

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 2 2014, 3:40pm

Post #16 of 16 (560 views)
Shortcut
Was PJ the First? [In reply to] Can't Post

TO include the audience with so much BACKLot stuff?

Have the REST followed him again?

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.