Azz Peter Swords King said?

"Thiszz izzz the
HAIR-iest Movie he hazz EVER worked on?

Never take thizz ol'Hippie
bomby...seriously
BUT HAIR
was a BIG DEal
in the Late 1960zz
& throughout the British Invasion of the USA?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgrIAIHTho8

THANG you Berry Buch
John, Paul, George
& Ringo!

AND of Course
JRRT!

ol' retired Hippie
Bomby?

Heart

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Elarie
Grey Havens

Sep 30 2014, 12:09pm

Post #2 of 123 (1461 views)
Shortcut
I remember ironing my hair on my mom's ironing board... [In reply to] Can't Post

way back in the day when we girls all wanted hair like Cher and Joan and Buffy Smile

And yes, Peter Swords King and his team certainly deserve big, giant kudos for the hair in the Hobbit movies - it's pretty glorious. Or perhaps there's just something in that Middle Earth water that gives people thick, shiny, beautiful hair? If only they could bottle it and send some over this way Wink

Thorin and Galadriel discussing shampoos and conditioners.

Dori inventing new braiding combinations.

Tauriel tripping over her hair?

And I don't even want to know what Nori braids besides his eyebrows

But what happened to poor Dwalin?

And now the song from "Hair" is going through my head and will probably be stuck there all day. Oh dear. Tongue

If this is to end in barrels, then we will all shampoo together.

Noria
Gondor

Sep 30 2014, 12:49pm

Post #3 of 123 (1438 views)
Shortcut
Elarie, I did that too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Curly hair was a curse back then and the appliances that exist today to straighten hair didn't exist. But I decided to ignore fashion and embrace the curl long, long ago.

Having grown up in the late 1960's, I still like long hair on a guy and hate brush cuts and the like. Loved the hair in LotR ten years ago and love it in The Hobbit movies now.

And yes, Peter Swords King and his colleagues did a fantastic job, both with the spectacular wigs like those of Thranduil, Thorin and Galadriel, and the more ordinary ones of the Hobbits. Thranduil and Thorin swooners should especially thank him.Wink

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 30 2014, 12:49pm

Post #4 of 123 (1434 views)
Shortcut
FUR... THAT? Whole Generation... [In reply to] Can't Post

Crosby, Still & Nash were Dwarves?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XWmwvT8bCw

1. Tolkien,
2. The Hippies
3. The Beatlezz

ALL..got it started

NOTICE?
PJ Rarely
"CUTZ His hair..."

Have we come FULL CIRCLE?

"May the HAIR on your Toes
ever grow longer."

bom

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Sep 30 2014, 1:27pm

Post #5 of 123 (1447 views)
Shortcut
The ULTIMATE hair competition [In reply to] Can't Post

You can't have a "Hair Thread" without having the Ultimate hair competition: Thorin vs. Thranduil! Rough & curly or silky straight? Dark w/grey streaks, or blonde with dark roots? I confess, I am rather partial to the King Under the MountainHeartEvil, but Thrandy's hair has got it goin' on!

As for the ladies, I don't think anyone can beat Eowyn - not even Galadriel. Perfect strawberry blonde waves - and this is coming from a dark brunette. Btw, I never had to iron my hair, it was always super straight - and naturally, I wanted curls. I spent a fortune on perms (you got a permanent wave 3 months ago - where is it?) and fried my hair a few times in the process. You always want what you don't have....

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

(This post was edited by Kilidoescartwheels on Sep 30 2014, 1:29pm)

Elarie
Grey Havens

Sep 30 2014, 1:46pm

Post #6 of 123 (1423 views)
Shortcut
Making the dwarf wigs [In reply to] Can't Post

The section in the second AUJ Chronicles book on how the dwarf wigs were made is one of my favorite parts of that book.

For those that haven't read it, rather than dying the whole wig, each wig is made of different hair shades combed together and blended in order to get the desired color and the natural variations and highlights of hair. The photos show an example of bright red, bright yellow, auburn and brown hairs being hand-sorted and then carefully pulled through a wire brush multiple times until the individual hairs have blended into a natural redhead color. Like everything else in these movies, the detail and craftsmanship is simply amazing.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 30 2014, 1:49pm

Post #7 of 123 (1422 views)
Shortcut
Kidzz..? YOU can Moderate thizz Hairy Thread..? [In reply to] Can't Post

bombyZZ
gunna go
soak his head?

KID RULEzz!
Bomby bows to "KidadoCartwheels!"

"All mighty Mistress
to the Tress.zzz"

There is "Estrogen"
to be MINED here?

(azz bomby SLINKzz
behindthe curtain?

"GIRLz give it BEST Shampoo SHOT!"

"Tolkienis-tazz Got Talent!

Air-Kisses
Heart

www.charlie-art.biz

Elarie
Grey Havens

Sep 30 2014, 2:11pm

Post #8 of 123 (1421 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel's hair [In reply to] Can't Post

Galadriel's wig was another thing in the AUJ 2nd Chronicles book that was interesting to read about. Peter King says that he had that amazing blond hair in a drawer for 10 years waiting for the perfect opportunity to use it and then LOTR and Galadriel came along and wow - perfection! All he knows about the hair itself is that it's from Russia and was 40 inches long when he bought it. And it's so beautiful.

zalmoxis
Bree

Sep 30 2014, 4:56pm

Post #9 of 123 (1384 views)
Shortcut
Overpaid... [In reply to] Can't Post

...hippies "move
faster
than Severus Snape
confronted with
shampoo".

Heart

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 30 2014, 7:51pm

Post #10 of 123 (1354 views)
Shortcut
From a Historical point of View? [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien made a point that DURin' WW1
the conditions to remain CLEAN
were impossible...

More died of disease from Head LICE, etc...
than guns?

SSOoo. a Whole Culture of Clean CUT Hair
sprange up? Amped up DURin' WW2

Only until the Beatlezz Invasion in 1963
did kids start to grow their HAIR..

THAT Changed everything...Thankz to Tolkienzz Influence

HIzz Writing wazz "The New Bible"
how to live?..

"Earth Day",
"Back to the Land"
....STOP Global WArming?

JUz anotherONE of
Bombyzz "HippieTREE-Huggin'...Theoryzz
Whazz... Yourzz?

FROM YOUR "MiddleEARTH Bound"...BROTHER

CrazyHeart

www.charlie-art.biz

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Sep 30 2014, 8:16pm

Post #11 of 123 (1327 views)
Shortcut
I´ve been trough lots of airstyles, I hope not finishing like Dwalin [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Sep 30 2014, 10:06pm

Post #12 of 123 (1311 views)
Shortcut
I totally agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

Eowyn's hair is the envy of all.

"And so they stood on the walls of the city of Gondor, and a great wind rose and blew, and their hair, raven and golden, streamed out mingling in the air."

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 1 2014, 1:02am

Post #13 of 123 (1312 views)
Shortcut
LOTR: A Miserable Failure of Hirsuteness [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so often said that hindsight has 20/20 vision. And I cannot say, at the time, that much consideration of the lack of silken locks streaming heroically in the breeze weighed heavily upon me at the time. Yet now, having been enlightened, I feel it is sadly true, in the genre of fantasy films, LOTR is pitifully lacking.Frown

Consider these representative images:

Iconic fantasy characters all, and all hallmarked by a quality of HIRSUTENESS, which brings a degree of Dionysian freedom, sensuality and wildness to these films, serving to further draw the audience into a created fantastical world. And yet LOTR, a landmark cinematic achievement, to a large degree ignored this critical need for ample pilosity in the majority of its character depictions.

But look at the signature LOTR character of Aragorn:

Like all good fantasy heroes, he has the steely-eyed gaze and can wield a sword, but I ask you - WHERE IS THE EPIC HAIR STREAMING IN THE BREEZE? I've seen enough covers on drugstore novels to know how it is supposed to be - big hair, for one thing.
If only Aragorn had had better hair, like Mel Gibson in Braveheart, that ROTK speech would have been more memorable.

Another appalling LOTR FAIL:

Two more LOTR heroes with fabulous costumes - but once again, the hair is just too COMMON for these Lords of Gondor. These looks are perilously close to the dreaded helmet-head! Shocked And they couldn't even film the iconic scene of Faramir and Eowyn as their hair streams back, mingling in the breeze, because they gave Faramir short shrift in the hair department! Frown

Admittedly, perhaps as a nod to classic fantasy, PJ was more SUPPORTIVE of the ladies, gracing at least a few with what ultimately might be, up to that time, some of the nicest hair in Middle Earth:

Eowyn, I feel in particular, was very fortunate as a princess - coiffed with a magnificent fall of rippling gold. *Sniff* at least SHE got the hair she was supposed to have.Unimpressed

Yet one has to search hard in the Middle Earth of LOTR, to find true gems of furriness. Ironically, perhaps as a subtle nod to their magical prowess, the wizards have some of the most luxuriant of the LOTR hair:

Sigh. It would seem in the Middle Earth of LOTR, only the most humble would be routinely granted luxuriant locks. Perhaps this was a subtle nod to Tolkien's values, that those who led a simple, good, healthful pastoral life would have great skin and wonderful falls of curls?

For other than the Hobbits, I fear only Shadowfax and the other horses can truly be considered to have truly amazing hair - indeed, the mane and tail of Shadowfax are some of the best strands in all of LOTR. BUT THIS SHOULD NOT HAVE BEENFrown.

Still. Hope remained, had I had the eyes to see it. For mostly unremarked, as council background characters, was the merest glint, the merest hint, that there could be more. That magical Middle Earth also has a race, so characterized by powerfully coiling voluminous strands, that the future would make up for the hirsute failings of LOTR many times over. And their time would come, ten years later. And the world would never be the same. Cool

Hó , Það sé ég föður minn
Hó , Það sé ég móður mína, og Hó, Það sé ég bræður mínir og systur mínar
Hó , Það sé ég mitt fólk aftur í byrjun
Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar
Hvar hugrakkir mun lifa að eilífu

(This post was edited by Avandel on Oct 1 2014, 1:04am)

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 1 2014, 1:47am

Post #14 of 123 (1310 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit: the Renaissance of Hirsuteness [In reply to] Can't Post

Brilliant and innovative director that he is, (with a dedicated, erudite staff), in spite of winning multiple awards for LOTR, Sir Peter was wise enough to intimate areas where he felt he could have done better in honoring these classic tales. Tolkien himself oft referenced streaming manes of various hues in depicting his characters. So when the time came to once again journey through Middle Earth, Sir Peter would feverishly make up a thousand fold for the serious failings of LOTR. The means were readily at hand:

And so, Sir Peter stretched forth the skills of all in his command, and found his way into the Hobbit through the dwarves. And not JUST the dwarves - dwarves who are gloriously, outrageously, HAIRY. The classic musical has NOTHING on these guys:

Since all of the dwarves are uniquely hairy, it's difficult to determine among the immediate company who has the greatest of hairs. A personal favorite of mine is the fluffy mad mop of Bifur, as well as the sheer russet volume of Gloin's head. But for sheer appeal, I'm gonna hafta go with the luscious thick gold of Fili's mane - so rich!, and goes so well with his eyes. IMO Fili is right up there on the list of the best hair of Middle EarthHeartHeartHeart, and don't understand why that isn't mentioned more often. Quite right for a future king to have wondrous hair of gold.HeartHeartHeart

Thankfully even the humans have been brought along this time for the hair-fest, and so even Bard has a thick tangle. No wimpy strands in THIS Middle Earth (unless you are one of the slimy bad guys...):

Not that Bard needs any help *drool*Heart:

OK, you tooHeartHeartHeart:

*Cough*. Ahem. ANYWAY.

We must also add to our hair considerations our action elves. Of course, Legolas was also present for LOTR, and seems to have been coiffed then and now with what seems to be characteristic silky, lightly braided elven hair:

Tauriel is an elf who got a real boost in hirsuteness for the Hobbit films, receiving both length AND a bit more volume, I think. As well as a bit of curl - quite pretty, tho I still question the practicality in battle.

The point being, of course, that happily the Hobbit films are DEFINED by hair, hair, hair - that the sad deficit of the depiction of the characters in LOTR is now equal to, or surpasses, the locks of any other fantasy film, save perhaps POTC on occasion. I think Tolkien himself would be quite pleased that this notorious gap in character presentations has been superbly filled.Cool

Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 1 2014, 2:00am

Post #15 of 123 (1317 views)
Shortcut
PS. The Hobbit Kings [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah, the Kings of Middle Earth....well, these two, anyway. Currently under debate as to has the best hair in Middle Earth. So for me, while the hair of the Woodland King has been compared, with some justification, to waterfalls and sunlight on rain:

For myself, THERE IS NO OTHER HAIR THAN THORIN'S - that silken coiling midnight shadow mane that curtains 'round like living night in all conditions, bloody, fireswept, windblown, rain-soaked - IMO the hair of a warrior-god.HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart
It's just EPICHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartCool

Always HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

Arveldis
Rivendell

Oct 1 2014, 2:16am

Post #16 of 123 (1306 views)
Shortcut
Going a little OT, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's extrapolate on Fili's hair (or absence thereof). Wink

IMO Fili is right up there on the list of the best hair of Middle EarthHeartHeartHeart, and don't understand why that isn't mentioned more often.

I quite agree. Smile I'm completely miffed that his little brother's getting more screentime when, while he has nice hair too, Fili's is just better (my personal opinion of course).

Why on earth would PJ hide that magnificent head of hair? And the character, too... Tongue

Just an advocate of the Fili Needs More Screentime Campaign. Wink

(P.S. Was wondering where the Thorin pics were until I saw the post below. You might want to put a thud warning for certain members of the board. Smile)

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Oct 1 2014, 3:29am

Post #17 of 123 (1280 views)
Shortcut
I'm proof of that! [In reply to] Can't Post

You always want what you don't have....

I have Eowyn hair. I learned to love it, but how I envy all those dark-haired beauties with the sleek glossy bobs... and thick bangs that don't fly up into a weird mini afro in the presence of the slightest bit of moisture in the air no matter what! I'm too low-maintenance, okay, lazy to have hair like that. =)

STV: NARTT
NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Arveldis
Rivendell

Oct 1 2014, 3:48am

Post #18 of 123 (1283 views)
Shortcut
Whoops. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just reread that and meant post *above*, not below. That's what I get for typing in a rush. Tongue

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 1 2014, 4:58am

Post #19 of 123 (1285 views)
Shortcut
"When the Moon of the Last Light of Durin's Day... [In reply to] Can't Post

ALINE-zz with Mars
TIS... Dawning of the AGE of Dwarves...

PJ will take us to the STARS

ITzz the Dawning of the AGE of Aq-HAIR-ius?"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3QvYIx0mfQ

(Luckily Bomby does NOT have
Male-Paterned Baldnezzz?)

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Oct 1 2014, 5:07am)

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 1 2014, 3:41pm

Post #20 of 123 (1265 views)
Shortcut
Needed a *THUD* warning this morning - and more Fili!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

*gasps for air and reaches for paper bag...*

Maybe this image is from the BOFA Annual? and NZ is using it for their "personalized stamps"?
But I hadn't seen it yet!HeartHeartHeart

https://stamps.nzpost.co.nz/...ps#issue-section-495

Thanks to Thorin FB for this one!HeartHeartHeart Guess it's once again time to order some NZ stamps...Cool

LOL being Thorin enthrall'd it's a miracle I even notice there is other cast (hilariously a fan on a different board suggested imagining a movie that was 2 -1/2 hours of nothing BUT Thorin - works for me.Wink Thorin braiding his hair, Thorin having breakfast, Thorin majestically walking, Thorin brooding, a little sword practice, Thorin eating lunch, Thorin brooding some more, Thorin stepping over some prostrate females he accidentally smiled at, Thorin tossing his hair back, Thorin having tea...Tongue)

Seriously tho it's hard to tell, wondering re the banner and now this image that more so than the previous films, that strong sister-son/family tie will really be accented in BOFA, and here will be where Fili really steps forward - building and building on the relationships just touched on previously.

It's not that I don't love Aidan Turner and have been very impressed with him through the films. But. Dean O'Gorman IMO is the perfect Fili - handsome, athletic but with that quality of maturity about him at need. That very brief interaction with Thorin at the dock was marvelous.Tongue

And aesthetically love Thorin and Fili together, art-wise. Golden and dark, warriors both - and gorgeous, stunning hair of course Wink. And love, love if the PR will be keeping the heirs together through all the artwork.

*SQUEEEEE* Wink

(This post was edited by Avandel on Oct 1 2014, 3:52pm)

Arveldis
Rivendell

Oct 1 2014, 4:00pm

Post #21 of 123 (1235 views)
Shortcut
Ooh! *saves* [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely needed a thud warning. Wink

I had seen the first before, but hadn't thought to enlarge it. Silly me. I don't know if Kili's trying copy Thorin or what, but he's just not putting off that same #majesty vibe. Tongue

I don't think too many people would be against an entire movie of Thorin. I wouldn't. Laugh

I really hope they will touch on it more in the next film. I know there's going to be some Thorin/Kili, but I hope Fili's thrown in there too. He deserves it.

Yes, they do look rather nice together. I'm sure the fangirls would agree. Tongue

Out of curiosity, just where do you find all of these pictures? I thought I'd prowled all of Deviantart (not just for those three, of course)! Smile

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 1 2014, 4:08pm

Post #22 of 123 (1237 views)
Shortcut
Alright ladies, there's nothing else for it.... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Second Ultimate ME Hair Competion is on: Fili vs. Kili!

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

(This post was edited by Kilidoescartwheels on Oct 1 2014, 4:08pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 1 2014, 5:33pm

Post #23 of 123 (1229 views)
Shortcut
Bomby will jus' STAND Back & be a "Switzerland" [In reply to] Can't Post

Neutral...Geeky Observer...
Learned Long Ago..?

NEVER ta Fight...with Passionate WARrior Women...
Bomby doesn't have enough Testosterone...
LEFT?
.... to compete...

Take CENTER Stage
Amazing
Amazonzzz, Harpiez, Furies, etc....

Bomby will peek out from
behind the Curtains
once & awhile....

AIR Kisses all around...

"OMG what haz Bomby done?"
now..

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Oct 1 2014, 5:53pm

Post #24 of 123 (1226 views)
Shortcut
Not a fair fight. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was one of Fili's Fillies before Thranduil's Thralls, and our numbers were always much lower than those of Kili's Kuties (or whatever they choose to call themselves, I'm just using my old name for them) for some strange reason which I have yet to comprehend. I could understand if it was Thorin, but not Kili. ;)

And yes, I think Fili's hair has been underappreciated for far too long, too -- he gets my vote for sure!

STV: NARTT
NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Bard'sBlackArrow
Lorien

Oct 1 2014, 6:44pm

Post #25 of 123 (1209 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

What a great thread or strand as it were.

I prefer dark haired men, so Thorin for me (shame about his beard, but that's under the bridge.)

I understand the admiration the lovely blondy locks of the elf fellas, but dark especially dark with a bit of silver works for this woman.

... on the other side of tomorrow...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.