Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Billy Conolly on playing "Dain" (Yahoo Movies)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 29 2014, 2:12pm

Post #1 of 63 (2249 views)
Shortcut
Billy Conolly on playing "Dain" (Yahoo Movies) Can't Post

https://uk.yahoo.com/...lly-98720613466.html

Some informations:

- Dain will speak "Dwarfish with an Glaswegian accent"
- He desribes the filming of the battle: “It’s hair-raising. It’s actually quite frightening to do. The sheer noise of it, when they’re all attacking us, noises that are foreign to you.”
- He explains that PJ had the sound of the battle blasted at the Green Screen for the actors to react to.
- He describes Dain's design: "My eyebrows have got braids in them, jewellery in my beard, tattoos on my forehead. If you’re standing and you’ve got iron boots on and a big axe, it gives you a certain cachet. "
- He still does not seem overly fond of "LotR" geeks but seems to be more diplomatic now ;)

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Sep 29 2014, 2:14pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 29 2014, 3:47pm

Post #2 of 63 (1162 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! and diplomacy [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I had read some other article where Connolly was rude about LOTR fans to the point of me feeling this guy is a real jerk (as well as a few other reported behaviors....).

Because if Star Wars, Transformers, Star Trek etc. are "more than films" - by many they are culturally beloved - then while I can understand folks not embracing the frenzy, why rain on someone else's parade? I don't understand sports team maniaUnsure but it's none of my business if other people are.

And also being part of the LOTR/Hobbit films means becoming a visual image of sorts that is strongly linked to literary classics, another reason it was so important to get the casting right. I've thought that someone at WB had had a quiet talk with with Connolly after his first few remarks and told him to dial it down, e.g. in this instance with a worldwide following and surrounded by an impeccable cast, no-one was going to think his "cheeky" remarks about fans were funny.Unsure

But from an interview I watched re Bill Connolly describing interacting with Peter Jackson, I have to smile, because once again I got an image in my mind of Peter Jackson sitting across from an actor, serenely and sympathetically listening to all your concerns, and under all that teddy bear exterior is a man and director who makes epic movies happen, and if he wants you in the end LOL he will get youCool, and you will end up doing things his way too. Cool

So I'm gonna trust in all the good things said about Connolly and there's very real reason out of all the badass actors that might have played Dain, Peter Jackson wanted Bill Connolly. Casting has been amazing so far! And happy to hear that Dain looks more badass than I was imagining - love the idea of the tats. I love Dwalin's and regret that Kili did not end up with a few, and loved the markings on Thrain as well - cool.Heart

Hó , Það sé ég föður minn
Hó , Það sé ég móður mína, og Hó, Það sé ég bræður mínir og systur mínar
Hó , Það sé ég mitt fólk aftur í byrjun
Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar
Hvar hugrakkir mun lifa að eilífu

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 29 2014, 4:10pm

Post #3 of 63 (1141 views)
Shortcut
As long as he [In reply to] Can't Post

does a good job in the role that will be my main concern but he does sound like a real jerk. I think he's one cast member I would prefer to never meet.

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 29 2014, 4:16pm

Post #4 of 63 (1084 views)
Shortcut
As long as he does his job well... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and didn't make it harder for cast and crew while he was shooting, I am fine with that.

He is a polarizing personality and certainly not one of those flat Hollywood people... But the LotR and Tolkien geeks should be able to take that. He doesn't seem all that serious, plus certain corners of the fandom can be pretty aggressive, snobbish and/or jerk-like reacting to other fandoms, movies and books sometimes.

(This doesn't mean that I find his comments particularly pleasant.)

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Sep 29 2014, 4:18pm)

tsmith675
Gondor

Sep 29 2014, 4:22pm

Post #5 of 63 (1106 views)
Shortcut
I think people that think Billy Connolly is a jerk... [In reply to] Can't Post

Are just not familiar with him and his antics.

Our destiny lies above us.

(This post was edited by tsmith675 on Sep 29 2014, 4:22pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 29 2014, 4:27pm

Post #6 of 63 (1068 views)
Shortcut
As far as the comments he makes go... [In reply to] Can't Post

Try not to be too put off by them. This is Billy Connolly's style and he would make the same kind of remarks about all sorts of things - it isn't particular to Tolkien fans. Bluntness is a kind of trade mark with him, it's what people expect/

FrodoEyes
Rivendell

Sep 29 2014, 6:08pm

Post #7 of 63 (1040 views)
Shortcut
Judging by your post [In reply to] Can't Post

Josh, you know nothing about Billy Connolly.

'I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.'
'So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.'

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Sep 29 2014, 9:46pm)

Moahunter
Rohan

Sep 29 2014, 6:14pm

Post #8 of 63 (994 views)
Shortcut
- Dain will speak "Dwarfish with an Glaswegian accent" [In reply to] Can't Post

Will there be sub-titles?
Do you know the difference between the NY mafia and the Glasgow mafia?
The NY mafia make you an offer you can't refuse.
The Glasgow mafia make you an offer you can't understand.

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 29 2014, 6:18pm

Post #9 of 63 (1004 views)
Shortcut
Is he family? [In reply to] Can't Post

All I said was his comments made him sound like a jerk. Don't quite understand the personal attack on me. Pirate

(This post was edited by Elessar on Sep 29 2014, 6:30pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 29 2014, 6:39pm

Post #10 of 63 (976 views)
Shortcut
You can add me to your list too [In reply to] Can't Post

Seeing as my first reaction to an article quoting BC was "what an *bleep" (rhymes with mole). Seeing as here's this guy spouting off like THAT is really cool, and I was thinking of all the younglings in costume joyously lined up at premiers, the richness of Tolkien, the work PJ has done to create an entire world...you say to do research, I say if Bill Connolly finds the fans "scary" then perhaps he might have wanted to pick up a book and do a little research himself, to find out what, even with its flaws, has captured the hearts and minds of so many, around the world.

That being said, on the advice of another fan, was (nicely) advised to look into Bill Connolly some more, and actually admired that this seems to be an inherently tough guy, a fighter, and found the story of how he was diagnosed with Parkinson's to be poignant. And if he doesn't love LOTR and the besotted fans per se, to me there is an obvious admiration for the movie and work he was involved with itself in his comments. I imagine it's hard not to be swept into it all, surrounded by hundreds of dedicated actors and craftspeople (I rewatched DOS last night - those little details like how the coins pool up around the eyes of the sleeping Smaug and drain off him so perfectly as his head raises....HeartHeartHeart)

Yeah, a tough guy, and intelligent, with layers of personality, think he will be an interesting Dain. That said, no reason to *bleep* on excited fans who see a richness where you don't. *Sniff*Unimpressed

http://www.vulture.com/...+and+Culture+Blog%29

When we ran into Billy Connolly last night at the premiere of Won't Back Down, we wondered: Doesn't he need to be back in New Zealand soon to continue his role as Dain Ironfoot in Peter Jackson's newly three-part adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit? "Oh yes!" he confirmed. "I have to go back for that. I haven't done [the battle scenes] yet. I have to get battle-ready! I ride into war on a wild pig!" So, how many times has Connolly read The Hobbit? "I've never read The Hobbit. Never." What about Lord of the Rings? "Never read Lord of the Rings," replied the 69-year-old Scottish actor. "I could never read Tolkien. I always found him unreadable … I didn't read [the books], and I normally don't like people who have! The people who love it, they're kind of scary. They talk all this gobbledygook and they think of it as the Holy Grail."
How, then, does Connolly plan to deal with Tolkien fans who will lob at him obscure questions about The Hobbit for the rest of his life?
"Usually I just make stuff up because I don't know what I'm talking about," Connolly admitted. "But invariably, there seems to be a sector of the press that is consumed by The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, and it's indicative of that notion, that it's the Grail. So whatever I say is rubbish, but then I become answerable for it! People get all upset, they get terribly upset about anything that has to do with it, as if it were real! It's a story! Just relax! It'll go away and you'll be just fine. Don't panic." "I mean, the scripts are brilliant, very good," Connolly continued, "but I always disagree with people who think the movie should be like the book. A movie's a movie, and the book's a book." And this movie's going to be great, Connolly promised. "Martin Freeman is absolutely brilliant. That was one of the first things I saw. And I'm going to get into trouble again if I say this, but we're filming faster [at 48 frames per second] than we normally would, with special equipment, and in 3D ... Our 3D just makes it glow. It looks like a cartoon, but the people are real. And it's shiny. And it's real." We thanked him for his time, and he laughed: "Make sure you make it clear you cornered me and forced me to talk so I don't get in trouble!"

Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 29 2014, 6:43pm

Post #11 of 63 (949 views)
Shortcut
I would love to see Billy Connolly [In reply to] Can't Post

using this thread as part of one of his shows.
There is pure comedy gold in here. Laugh

The man has been providing entertainment for people all over the word for over forty years. If anyone around here is wanting him to change himself to avoid offending a particular fandom, you could be waiting a while.

FrodoEyes
Rivendell

Sep 29 2014, 6:49pm

Post #12 of 63 (962 views)
Shortcut
I don't see anything wrong with his comments here. [In reply to] Can't Post

None at all. He's a comedian, he comments on things as he sees them, observational comedy. He's a thoroughly nice bloke. I'm not attacking you Josh, I'm just sticking up for him because YOU were attacking HIM by calling him a jerk because of some misinterpreted quote you read.

'So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.'

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Sep 29 2014, 7:19pm

Post #13 of 63 (910 views)
Shortcut
Did I miss any steps? [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Comedian says fans take it all a bit seriously
2. Fans take this a bit seriously and deny it furiously
3. Irony sets sail and leaves Middle Earth for ever

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Sep 29 2014, 7:36pm

Post #14 of 63 (921 views)
Shortcut
Then you might want to think twice [In reply to] Can't Post

about profile-diving and using any proper personal names you find to address someone who has upset you (twice in this thread), because it really doesn't 'read' well tone-wise on the internet, IMO. Just sayin'. ;)

STV: NARTT
NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Sep 29 2014, 7:40pm)

FrodoEyes
Rivendell

Sep 29 2014, 7:52pm

Post #15 of 63 (855 views)
Shortcut
Lol [In reply to] Can't Post

That's awesome, thanks for the giggle.

FrodoEyes
Rivendell

Sep 29 2014, 7:59pm

Post #16 of 63 (884 views)
Shortcut
I'm sorry.... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I don't know what I've done wrong now in your opinion?
Me and Josh have been members of all sorts of Middle Earth forums, mainly collectible forums. We have a good rapport and know each other well by now that we can talk honestly to each other.
What is 'profile diving' and why am I guilty of it?
Also what personal names have I used? Josh says Billy Connolly comes across to him as a jerk so I reply saying that talking like that makes him come across as a jerk. Doesn't this all sound a bit childish?

People on this forum can be so stuffy. Y'all need to lighten up a bit. After all, it's not real life is it? ;-)

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 29 2014, 8:06pm

Post #17 of 63 (855 views)
Shortcut
It's not the only article out there [In reply to] Can't Post

The first one I read, which I can't find, he was a lot ruder and there was also some issue with a hotel - either he was NOT a fun guest and/or WAS just a jerk - which at the time telegraphed to me one of the these "rock star acting out types" e.g. "I get to be rude and abrasive because of my talent and, well, folks just have to put up with it..."

Ask anyone in the service industry what it feels like to clean up someone else's mess or put up with 'tude and your awe will fade pretty quickly, I can tell you. And again - not saying BC would be mean to children - while fans can be a pain, some of it IS just happiness and excitement and novelty.

In any case there does seem to be multiple layers to this guy - and it's amusing that Peter Jackson thought his comments were funny, and hired who he wanted. And perhaps that kind of indifference to "Tolkien madness" will enhance a badass performance, and is just what is needed for a Dain that has to be (evidently) more or less INSTANTLY believable as the leader of the Iron Hill dwarves.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Sep 29 2014, 8:29pm

Post #18 of 63 (826 views)
Shortcut
Hotel? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've just spent a little while searching and I can't find any reference to a story about Connolly being a jerk in a hotel.

The only thing I came across was the tale about him being diagnosed by a fan in a hotel lobby - but I can't see anything about him being a jerk there.

Do you remember anything about the story - it seems strange that it's not showing up?

FrodoEyes
Rivendell

Sep 29 2014, 8:34pm

Post #19 of 63 (833 views)
Shortcut
I've spent 14 years in the service industry! [In reply to] Can't Post

Working in hotels is the only job I've known, so believe me, I know!

Infact, if you want to start having a go at actors acting like jerks in hotels, I've got a good one about none other than the Goblin King!
Barry Humphries stayed at the Marriott where I work in Norwich, and moved hotels after no-one fawned at him or made a fuss of him at the hotel bar. Thus is because hotel staff are instructed to treat every guest the same, but maybe he didn't get any regular guests come up to him. Anyway, we hear of actors acting like jerks a lot, why single out BC? Ian McKellen sometimes comes across as arrogant. Many other actors do. Again, why single out BC?

And I also don't see Billy Connolly acting like that at all. I just don't get all this ill feeling he's getting.

(This post was edited by FrodoEyes on Sep 29 2014, 8:39pm)

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Sep 29 2014, 8:46pm

Post #20 of 63 (837 views)
Shortcut
Ah, then I'll retract the profile-diving portion... [In reply to] Can't Post

if you two 'internet know' each other, because that wasn't obvious. But it's still not common practice here to refer even to friends by their real names. =)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd

FrodoEyes
Rivendell

Sep 29 2014, 8:50pm

Post #21 of 63 (839 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, that is odd!

Fair enough Shirley ;-)

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 29 2014, 9:10pm

Post #22 of 63 (791 views)
Shortcut
Now I am frustrated and will look for it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately I read this last year? and after the other fan suggested and/or told me some things about BC, hadn't given it much thought since...just remember having an eye roll reaction and being puzzled as to why PJ would hire someone like that. It wasn't on this board - do remember it was a smallish article, not some big piece. I know the story you mention, which as BC tells it was to me poignant Frown

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Sep 29 2014, 9:15pm

Post #23 of 63 (802 views)
Shortcut
This is where I'm supposed to yell "And don't call me Shirley!"... right? ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

But Shirley [Temple] really was one of my nicknames (because of the hair), so... =)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 29 2014, 9:16pm

Post #24 of 63 (821 views)
Shortcut
It's a matter of [In reply to] Can't Post

letting people set their own privacy limits. This is a very public forum and it's not considerate to post someone else's personal information (such as real name, location, email, etc) without them having mentioned it first or given permission. You can tell as much as you want about yourself, just leave others to make their own decisions on what to share about themselves.

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dûm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

FrodoEyes
Rivendell

Sep 29 2014, 9:20pm

Post #25 of 63 (786 views)
Shortcut
Heehee [In reply to] Can't Post

Wouldn't it be funny if it was Shirley!

I still think it's a silly rule, and one I've never come across before on any forum. I mean, what's in a name? And what you think is someone's name, may not be at all!

I'm Jon, by the way :-) But call me Frodo if you like ;-)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.