Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
How A..bout? a Thread about your Favorite Funny PJ MovieMoments...

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 28 2014, 3:21pm

Post #1 of 13 (707 views)
Shortcut
How A..bout? a Thread about your Favorite Funny PJ MovieMoments... Can't Post

Knowing PJzz Personality..
He NEVER forgets to charm us W/ his humor?

EXample:
Having Dwalin show up first @ BBzz Front Door
wazz liking to have a Big Badass HOG-Riding
Ex-Con BIKER DUDE
BARGEing into & Taking OVER
you simple suburban stable?

THEN Eating YOUR entireDinner..
( without even so much as a Please)

Then eating an Entire
FISH HEAD in one Bite!

The Whole TONE of that scene set the STAGE
for the Entire movie...

Sure, PJ izz also a
Master of
Battlezz
But

"Itzz the little simple everyday HUMOR that PJ putzz into his moviezz
that Swayzz... ANY audience to love hizz Movies"

Take the Cue? Gafferzz!
...... POST about your "FAVorite PJFunniezz"?

You have the Floor!
(This could be your audition for aStand-UP comedy ACT?)

YOURbom
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 28 2014, 4:11pm

Post #2 of 13 (470 views)
Shortcut
"That would be the door." [In reply to] Can't Post

I always laugh. Dwalin is a great dwarf portrayal.

But often the small face acting moments have the greatest humour... Martin Freeman is a champion here .

But also little moment such as the Hobbit woman shaking her head as Bilbo runs past.

Though I have no problem admitting that I also like some of the less subtle stuff... The inappropriate behaviour of the Elves in Bag-end and Rivendell or some of the Radagast stuff.

What I didn't like is the Tauriel and Kili "pants" nonsense as well as the "Kili likes a male Elf" thing... The latter wasn't that bad but felt too modern.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

leonmuse
Rivendell

Sep 28 2014, 4:43pm

Post #3 of 13 (470 views)
Shortcut
My favorites [In reply to] Can't Post

1-All Sackville-Bagginses-related stuff (from The Hobbit and LOTR)
2-The three Trolls part when someone calls Bilbo a "traitor" LOL
3-"these are the descendants of the House of Durin" moment while they show their "quality" lol!
4-Bilbo anniversary Speech about liking and deserving
5-When Balin tells Bilbo not to bother asking Elrond about his (Bilbo's) sword, because it looks more like a can opener!

Many more! I will list it later if i can!

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Sep 28 2014, 8:50pm

Post #4 of 13 (405 views)
Shortcut
Here they are! [In reply to] Can't Post

1."It's crocheted. And a lovely game it is too!"
2. "Don't move." (When Kili is on the bed moaning in pain.) Seriously how could he move?
3. Bombur and the barrel.
4. Basically the entire BagEnd Scene.

"And so they stood on the walls of the city of Gondor, and a great wind rose and blew, and their hair, raven and golden, streamed out mingling in the air."

Elarie
Grey Havens

Sep 28 2014, 11:59pm

Post #5 of 13 (358 views)
Shortcut
I love the humor in the Hobbit movies [In reply to] Can't Post

And a few favorite moments:
Dwalin's arrival at Bag End
Kili calling Bilbo "Mr. Boggins" with that big, happy grin
Bofur describing Smaug as a "furnace with wings"
The trolls discussing herbs and recipes - so incongruous!
Bilbo asking Gandalf if Radagast is a great wizard or "more like you"
Tauriel's clever reply to Kili's trouser joke (makes me pretty sure she could handle herself in any singles bar without having to use her knives Smile )
Bard's daughter wondering if the dwarves will bring them luck.
And, as always, the sight of Thorin trying to paddle his barrel with that silly stick. Don't know if it was meant to be funny, but it still makes me laugh every time I watch it.

If this is to end in barrels, then we will all shampoo together.

Holly Hobbit
Bree

Sep 29 2014, 12:34am

Post #6 of 13 (343 views)
Shortcut
Bombur's barrel roll was awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

In the theatre, everyone was laughing and cheering. Epic comic relief! And Bombur actually took out so many Orcs!

Lissuin
Valinor

Sep 29 2014, 6:27am

Post #7 of 13 (335 views)
Shortcut
TH: - These shots of Gollum in Riddles [In reply to] Can't Post

- and when Gollum is talking to himself about Bilbo ("Then we eats it, precious.") and says to Bilbo, "Wasn't talkin' to you." "If Baggins loses, we eats it whole", with that little bobbing of his head as if to say "That's logical, isn't it?" This was so skillfully done.

- Gandalf: Although it's Tolkien's line,"...as if I were selling buttons at the door!", Sir Ian delivers it perfectly in the film.

- The dwarves' shenanigans in Bag End.

- Elrond and Bilbo's private conversation and elf/hobbit banter in Rivendell.

- samurai Bombur in the whirling barrel. Saturday morning cartoon silliness (for those of us over 50).Laugh

LOTR

- Pippin: "We've had one, yes, but what about second breakfast?" His complete disbelief that they might not be eating regularly.

- Legolas sliding down the oliphaunt's trunk, followed by that little cocky head tilt.

- Legolas at Helm's Deep: "...or would you like me to find you a box?" and Gimli's deep-throated chuckle as if to say, "I'll get you later for that one, mate"; a light-hearted comment to relieve the tension of the moment, as you could imagine happening between friends.

Thanks for making me laugh again, Bomby.Laugh

Cirashala
Valinor

Sep 29 2014, 6:43am

Post #8 of 13 (358 views)
Shortcut
funny moments [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's see-

AUJ

Gandalf's good morning speech and Bilbo's baffled expression- hilarious (and so well done from the book too- that's pretty much exactly how I'd imagined that scene Smile).

Bilbo slinking around Hobbiton market, and the confused expression of the hobbit who was showing off his tubers (I'm also pretty sure I saw the Sackville-Baggins here too- there was a prissy looking couple prancing up in VERY fancy finery and looking down at their noses at everyone).

Bilbo's baffled, fear filled eyes as Dwalin opens the door, and his stunned, gaping mouth as said dwarf just barrels in and downs his supper with little to no explanation.

Dwalin trying to get the cookies out of the jar with his mouth already full of them- our baddie dwarf has a sweet tooth! And looks for all the world like a little toddler with hands caught in the cookie jar-literally lol!

Bilbo's expression when Dwalin and Balin head butt.

Balin- Apology accepted. Now fill it up brother, and don't stint!

Bilbo's growing eyes as Fili unloads his personal armory Tongue

Bilbo's overwhelmed look as the doorbell rings AGAIN, followed by his dismayed look at the pile of dwarves at his feet and his "to heck with propriety" attitude at that point!

Blunt the knives.

Bofur's description of the dragon, and Bilbo fainting.

Ya know, probably would have been better to say the entire bag end sequence lol...

Great wizard, or more like you?

The troll sequence:

The dwarves' indignation as they rolled on the spit.
Bilbo's attempts to distract the trolls.
Thorin's "Traitor!", Gloin's trying to bite his rope off, and Dwalin's "I won't forget that! I won't forget that!" to Bilbo lol!
Kili's adamant refusal about parasites, then after Thorin's (literal) kick to his head (and Oin's shoulder), the complete 180 the dwarves do in their protests (mine are the biggest parasites! I have HUGE parasites!"
Can we eat him too?

Radagast:

The look on the dwarves faces, especially Fili's, after the stick insect (didn't care for the insect itself at all).

Rivendell:

Letter opener
Bofur's song (though didn't care for the thrown food).
Kili's mistaken gender scenario (and being completely busted by Dwalin for that supposedly unnoticed wink Tongue).
Gandalf- "Dwarves are of the line of Durin" then shrinking back like the kid who got caught slipping broccoli to the dog when they were decidedly NOT noble and decent folk lol Wink

Thorin laughing to himself when Bofur starts singing- doubtless he knows the song and the lack of courtesy with it being during a fancy dinner rather than a pub. I have a feeling he's trying hard not to snort and laugh at this point knowing how the elves will react to this "entertainment" (and he taps his foot along with the rest of them- nice to see the stern king having some fun, even if its at the elves' expense (which I'm pretty sure made that all the more enjoyable for him lol Angelic)

Yes, I did laugh when Bombur's table fell out beneath him- he shouldn't have been sitting on it anyway.

Lindir's expression at the dwarves bathing in the fountain. Come to think of it, Elrond's was pretty funny too.

End of AUJ:

Bilbo's "No, no, no..." as the eagle swoops toward him- even in a life or death skirmish, he's still so hobbity!

DOS

Thorin's annoyed look when the brigands start coming toward him in the Prancing Pony- he's so annoyed and rolls his eyes- here we go again...

The dwarves' expression- "What choice do we have? None." Gee thanks Gandalf for that vote of confidence...

Bombur outrunning all the other dwarves lol.

The dwarves faces when Gandalf says "That is our host". The general response is blank stares- Huh???

The dwarves sitting at Beorn's huge table looking like toddlers while he still has to duck under his own roof lol.

Thorin's expression when the elves corner them- not again...

Fili's arsenal makes a reappearance- and it's apparently bigger than we thought before (I counted 13)- his expression when each subsequent one is found lol- he's a walking porcupine!

The dwarves kicking, shoving, and Gloin being pushed into the door by Oin trying to get out of the cells.

When Thorin tells Balin what he said to Thranduil- Balin's expression is PERFECT- "Seriously, of all the things you could have said, you HAD to say that!" Followed by (tonally) "Well, we're screwed."

The entire barrel escape (except when Kili gets hurt, as that's not funny but more dramatic). I especially loved Bombur's barrel sequence. Had me, as well as most of the audience, in tears each time it was so funny!

Bilbo's expression as he realizes that he forgot a barrel for himself- priceless! (I think he should win an Oscar even if it were just for this scene alone- it's so well executed!).

The dwarves' expressions as they were buried by fish, and the subsequent (what I'm sure is) muffled cursing lol...I cannot IMAGINE how bad that smelled!

Dwalin coming up out of the toilet- yes I thought that was funny. Poor guy...

The sudden change in expression when the Master finds out who Thorin is- oops! We just arrested a king!

Bofur's "don't move"- I agree with a poster above me- seriously where would he have gone? (Fili's expression seems to mirror this).

Bofur's head banging under the table- I actually winced (I've done that many a time- ouch!).

Will they bring us luck?

Balin: If you do happen to find a....live dragon down there...don't waken it (and when Bilbo turns around and Balin's already heading back up the tunnel).

Bilbo's face as he calculates out his size in relation to Smaug and figures out how BIG the dragon is lol...

Bilbo waving his hand in front of his face when Smaug breathes in it- must be some horrid morning breath lol!

Bilbo being unable to speak when Smaug first lays eyes on him.

I think that's pretty much it, at this point. I really enjoy the films, and there are so many little nuances that I find quite funny Sly

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 29 2014, 12:27pm

Post #9 of 13 (292 views)
Shortcut
Cira..YOU are the Sweetest POTATO in IDAHO! [In reply to] Can't Post

fur taking that much TIME
to Itemizze.. SSOoo...many of THOSE

YOU get a Gold STAR
& move the FRONT of
Bombyzz Class!

WAyCOOL Girlfriend!

Maybe, kinda, sorta we need to Lighten UP
around here?

WackyWeidoPJ always makes
us Strangerzz in his Stange LAND!

bom
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Cirashala
Valinor

Sep 29 2014, 5:18pm

Post #10 of 13 (267 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I just went through the movie in my head and wrote down what I remembered as being funny, that's all.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Sep 29 2014, 9:21pm

Post #11 of 13 (258 views)
Shortcut
My funniest moments [In reply to] Can't Post

Most have already been mentioned - Bombur's barrel scene & outrunning Fili & Kili, the "aren't you going to search me" line, among others. I laugh at the idea that the two thugs in the Prancing Pony think a dwarf with a sword is no problem, but pull back at the sight of an old man with a staff. Unless they recognized Gandalf, that is. Thorin's "I imagine they regretted that" line puts all kinds of funny pics in my head - somebody should do a meme. There's one other funny line that I remember, right after Bilbo climbs the trees & sees the butterflies. As he's coming back down his foot gets stuck in a web, and as he's losing his balance he says "Oh, come on!"

It's also kinda funny when Bofur does the table dance in Rivendell, and later in Laketown when he's passed out under the table - can't wait for the EE to explain THAT one!

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Sep 29 2014, 9:25pm

Post #12 of 13 (252 views)
Shortcut
You counted 13? [In reply to] Can't Post

"Fili's arsenal makes a reappearance- and it's apparently bigger than we thought before (I counted 13)- his expression when each subsequent one is found lol- he's a walking porcupine!"

I only get 9, and that's counting the knife he throws during their escape. It is funny, though - I LUV a man that's prepared (even if he's a dwarf!).Wink

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

Cirashala
Valinor

Sep 30 2014, 3:25am

Post #13 of 13 (256 views)
Shortcut
Ok, here's the weapon count [In reply to] Can't Post

twin swords- 2
hunting knives- 2
throwing axes-4 (2 in each boot)
knives beneath coat lapels- 2
knives pulled out from inside/behind his coat- 2 (one in the forest from behind his head, and one as he's being shoved in the dungeon)
knife thrown during barrel escape- 1

That totals 13 Cool

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.