Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Elvish language and runes translator required

Maulibu87

Sep 28 2014, 3:10am

Post #1 of 10 (315 views)
Shortcut
Elvish language and runes translator required Can't Post

Hello! I have always been a big fan of Tolkien, and i need your help i want to translate a saying to the elvish runes. I want to use the runes that are from LOTR, i believe its Quenya what they use. I want to translate a saying from my late grandfather, the saying is in spanish " el mundo es un potrero" which roughly translates into " the world is a paddock" i was wondering if anyone here that knows spanish and elvish could help me translate this. I intend to use this as a decoration and i dont want to end up with something that is not correct. I've seen those translators all over the internet, but i dont know how correct they are.

Any help will be greatly appreciatedHeart

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 28 2014, 4:15pm

Post #2 of 10 (249 views)
Shortcut
The world is a paddock. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that Tolkien developed his Silvan language more thoroughly than Quenya. Even so, both Elven vocabularies have a lot of gaps in them.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Sep 28 2014, 7:53pm

Post #3 of 10 (235 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if you mean Tengwar instead of Runes? See below-- [In reply to] Can't Post

Runes were generally used by the Dwarves, and Tengwar mostly by the Elves.

Runes:

Tengwar:

Here is a website for using Tengwar letters to write Spanish words: http://www.omniglot.com/writing/tengwares.php

But it sounds like you want to not only use the correct alphabet, but also to translate the saying into an Elvish language. The two major ones are Quenya and Sindarin. There may be a good substitute for the word "paddock" or maybe a combination of words to describe "paddock." The other words in the saying I'm sure exist in either of the main Elvish languages.

Others here would know more than I do about where to find a good, reliable vocabulary list.

Maulibu87

Sep 28 2014, 7:59pm

Post #4 of 10 (231 views)
Shortcut
You are right... [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant tengwar, im not very well versed with all the tolkien terminology. I wonder if i should use another forum to look for vocabulary. Im new to the site also.

Thanks by the way!! Smile

Maulibu87

Sep 28 2014, 8:00pm

Post #5 of 10 (230 views)
Shortcut
Do you recommend [In reply to] Can't Post

Then using silvan as opposed to quenya?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 28 2014, 8:11pm

Post #6 of 10 (229 views)
Shortcut
Either [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Then using silvan as opposed to quenya?

That depends on if you have better luck translating your phrase into Sindar instead of Quenya. I do agree that you are better off using Tengwar characters rather than runes.

An alternate (English) phrasing for what you want that might be easier to translate into Elvish might read, "The world is an enclosure for pasture."

As a last resort, you might keep the Spanish phrasing that you want, but use Tengwar characters to spell it. This technique used with Dwarf-runes for English works well on the covers of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Maulibu87

Sep 28 2014, 8:39pm

Post #7 of 10 (223 views)
Shortcut
I want to [In reply to] Can't Post

Have the most correct translation of it becuase i want to get a tattoo done with that saying of my grandpa. That is why im looking for help. I dont want to end up with a tattoo that says something different.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Sep 28 2014, 8:48pm

Post #8 of 10 (218 views)
Shortcut
People have posted such questions on Main. [In reply to] Can't Post

That might be worth a try.

Welcome to the Boards!Smile

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 28 2014, 9:33pm

Post #9 of 10 (217 views)
Shortcut
A start. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Have the most correct translation of it becuase i want to get a tattoo done with that saying of my grandpa. That is why im looking for help. I dont want to end up with a tattoo that says something different.

"el mundo es un potrero" ("the world is a paddock")

world - eä (Q. or S.) or arda (Q.)
fenced land - pelennor (Q.)
field, sward - parth (S.)

Eä i pelennor or Arda i pelennor. I won't vouch 100% for my Quenya grammer.

Here is a Tengwar Transcriber that I've found.

That is the best I can do.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 28 2014, 9:37pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 28 2014, 10:02pm

Post #10 of 10 (243 views)
Shortcut
Note for previous post [In reply to] Can't Post

more properly encompasses all of Creation (the entire Universe), so arda might be more appropriate for your purposes. Also, this might be more correct: Arda na pelennor.

Anyone?

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 28 2014, 10:11pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.