The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A Dwarvish music appreciation thread

Holly Hobbit
Bree

Sep 26 2014, 7:57pm

Post #1 of 9 (634 views)
Shortcut
A Dwarvish music appreciation thread Can't Post

Almost two years later, and the Misty Mountains Song by the Dwarves still gives me chills. Does anyone else feel this? No matter how many times I listen to it, the song always amazes me. It just played on my Lord of the Rings Pandora station, and I was just like, "Wow."
I just love the blend of the Dwarves' voices together. Richard Armitage especially nails it as Thorin - what a wonderful solo! Wouldn't mind hearing Richard singing more in future roles.
I don't know what the odds are of hearing more Dwarf singing in The Battle of the Five Armies, unless the Dwarves maybe sing a reprise of the song when they're reunited in the Lonely Mountain.
I remember in the books how Fili and Kili find beautiful golden harps in the Lonely Mountain and begin playing them. I really wish this scene could be in the movie as well. It could be another beautiful moment with the brothers in "the deep breath before the plunge..." This is on my wish list of scenes in the last movie, although I don't know if we'll get it.
And I love the deep choral music that we've heard in AUJ and DOS. Like the music that plays when Bard is rowing the Dwarves to Laketown and they see the Lonely Mountain through the fog. It just seems so appropriate for the Dwarves - very stately, speaking of a rich history. I wonder how the Dwarves' themes might be incorporated into the battle scenes and the funeral scene. I would expect a very solemn, heartbreaking Dwarven lament that would be fit for royalty.
I cannot wait for the soundtrack release. I'm sure Howard Shore has planned something beautiful and grand for the final movie. It will be very fitting for the finale of a series we have come to love.

(This post was edited by Holly Hobbit on Sep 26 2014, 8:00pm)

Snowghost77
Lorien

Sep 27 2014, 2:14am

Post #2 of 9 (411 views)
Shortcut
perhaps the most poignant. ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Scene for me personally concerning music was the tapestry scene...the great solemn deep male chorus really evoked the majesty and power of the dwarves in my imagination. Great scene.

The path of the Warrior is paved in blood, sweat, tears and ultimately death. He weeps for the fallen, bleeds for the cause, and sweats till he dies.
In memory of operation FALLEN ANGEL and the mighty Heroes of SEAL team 6, the PJ's, SOCOM aviation, and all those who fell in the Tangi Valley.
- Task force Warrior will not forget you

Holly Hobbit
Bree

Sep 27 2014, 2:45am

Post #3 of 9 (399 views)
Shortcut
That was beautiful music as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

And when the dwarves are approaching the mountain and find the door... Wow.

I do like how there was no music in the background when the secret door swung open though... It's as if we and the Dwarves and Bilbo are just given a few seconds to process the fact that we've actually "made it" to the Lonely Mountain after a two-year journey alongside the characters. The moment of silence was very effective.

Faleel
Rohan

Sep 27 2014, 2:46am

Post #4 of 9 (388 views)
Shortcut
While [In reply to] Can't Post

I can see your point, I think the edit to achieve that idea, was a little too obvious.

Kim
Valinor

Sep 27 2014, 3:04am

Post #5 of 9 (387 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't been following the movie production too closely, so my first real exposure to The Hobbit movies was the teaser trailer in Dec 2011 and my thoughts went something like this: "We're back! It looks just the same! *breath catches* Oh, they're singing!" The Misty Mountains Cold song just caught me from that moment on. It was the reason I bought the first soundtrack and I listen to it every night and still hold my breath when that song plays (heard it on my Pandora station today too). When I got the AUJ TE, I watched it every night and if I only had time for one thing, it was to watch that scene. I had the YouTube clip on my phone and played it over and over until I was able to get the soundtrack and play the full version. I still wish we'd got a full book length version. And yes, Richard's voice was wonderful, and all of the dwarves joining in made it so haunting.

I do hope we get a moment of the dwarves singing to try to cheer up Thorin when they are in Erebor. And some kind of reprise during the scene-that-shall-not-be-named, or in the end credits.

Join us every weekend for The Hobbit Chapter of the Week discussions!

Elarie
Grey Havens

Sep 27 2014, 1:49pm

Post #6 of 9 (333 views)
Shortcut
The dwarves inside the mountain [In reply to] Can't Post

[in reply to: I remember in the books how Fili and Kili find beautiful golden harps in the Lonely Mountain and begin playing them. I really wish this scene could be in the movie as well.]
-------------

I would also love a scene of this sort inside the mountain, something quiet showing the dwarves re-connecting to their heritage and their home. We've seen a lot of very cool armor and weapons in the trailer, but I hope that there are some scenes inside Erebor that let us see the the everyday side of life in Erebor, too, even if it's just props hanging on the wall, like the golden harps.

If this is to end in barrels, then we will all shampoo together.

Holly Hobbit
Bree

Sep 27 2014, 3:42pm

Post #7 of 9 (345 views)
Shortcut
I really missed Dwarf music singing in DOS. [In reply to] Can't Post

At Beorn's house in the book, the Dwarves sing a reprise of Misty Mountains Cold, and I thought they might include that in the movie - it would be a great way to "remind" audiences of their purpose after a year had passed since the last movie, and a wonderful way to kick off the movie. Of course, Beorn's house in general turned out to be portrayed quite differently than I imagined!

I would definitely like to see Dwarves singing in the third movie. The idea of a harps scene excites me. It would be fun to see Aidan and Dean performing musical instruments. Smile not to mention that a contrast in the Dwarves' reaction to the golden harps could show how deeply Thorin has already begun to be changed by the dragon-sickness. While the other Dwarves admire the music, Thorin would likely be wandering around the treasure, ignoring the beauty of Fili and Kili's music as he takes inventory of his inheritance...

(This post was edited by Holly Hobbit on Sep 27 2014, 3:44pm)

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 1 2014, 9:30pm

Post #8 of 9 (274 views)
Shortcut
I thought it was symbolic as well [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I do like how there was no music in the background when the secret door swung open though... It's as if we and the Dwarves and Bilbo are just given a few seconds to process the fact that we've actually "made it" to the Lonely Mountain after a two-year journey alongside the characters. The moment of silence was very effective.

I also felt the silence represented loss, the loss of all the dwarves who died there - in a sense the silence and emptiness of a tomb.

Holly Hobbit
Bree

Oct 1 2014, 10:34pm

Post #9 of 9 (318 views)
Shortcut
Agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

That moment when the door opened was very significant. I could feel from the silence in the scene and the silence in the movie theatre how significant the scene was. There was a lot of symbolism in it - remembering the dead, looking forward at what this means for the Dwarves who have been in exile for so long.

And in essence Erebor was a tomb - that scene with all the Dwarf corpses was so heartbreaking.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.