Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Hey folks :) did we ever come to a decision...

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 26 2014, 1:10pm

Post #1 of 18 (3063 views)
Shortcut
Hey folks :) did we ever come to a decision... Can't Post

In our discussions about discussions a few months back, we had lots of good ideas and suggestions and were thinking we'd regroup on the idea later in the year. Well it's September now, almost October, so I thought I'd re-link to that thread and get the conversation going again.

In addition to the ongoing very popular and entertaining Title Contest discussions (*bows to BlackFox Cool*), are there any additional discussions anyone would like to have here?

I would also like to add that this is not a trick question, as sometimes happens in other situations, where if you come up with a great suggestion, everyone will look at you and expect you to take charge of it Laugh. No, no, no Laugh!

This is a fun place and no one will put that kind of pressure on anyone here Heart. If you have a discussion suggestion and would like to run it, that's great! But you don't have to be hesitant to suggest a discussion you'd like to see because you feel you must then run it Wink. You can if you like of course! But there may be someone else who might like to handle it, or people might like to rotate, etc. Those details, how to post, formats, how often to post, etc., can always be worked out later on. For now let's work on some ideas and suggestions, all are welcome, and anyone is free to volunteer or not, as they like.

So what say you Smile?

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 30 2014, 5:07pm

Post #2 of 18 (2699 views)
Shortcut
*crickets chirping* [In reply to] Can't Post

We likes crickets, Precious, yes mmm crunchy crickets like birdses....

But games, we love games better, yes Precious!

Does it like games? Does it? Word games? Discussion games? Picture games? Does it, does it CoolTongue?

Just tossing it back out there for suggestions, don't be shy LaughSmile!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 30 2014, 5:51pm

Post #3 of 18 (2700 views)
Shortcut
How about... [In reply to] Can't Post

... reintroducing the movie trivia game I've heard about?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Sep 30 2014, 7:59pm

Post #4 of 18 (2688 views)
Shortcut
I'd been considering it myself [In reply to] Can't Post

In the past I believe that Magpie has used the Trivial Pursuit questions as a basic template and I happen to have the game around. I could do something like Friday questions before Fiesta and then answers posted on Monday? It would be self-scoring, though, to keep things simpler I think.

Thoughts?

My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 30 2014, 8:18pm

Post #5 of 18 (2702 views)
Shortcut
I've had this idea for a while - Ringwind. [In reply to] Can't Post

I like games, and I like tallies. Two things to start off with:

(1) I don't have the time to take the idea any further. But I would participate/host occasionally.
(2) Anyone is more than welcome to take this idea and run with it. It's a shell, so feel free to add to this idea. If someone does want to take this idea further, I'm happy to clarify any points (I'm typing this far too quickly, so I apologise for any mistakes! I've used the Royal "We" as well.)

This game is not aimed at any critical analysis or discussion of the film. Quite simply, it's for fun. It's also aimed to make the participants *watch* the movie. Admittedly, I rarely watch the scene when I'm commenting on a SCOD or CHOW thread. It is, for the most part, from memory. So let's get people watching the three movies again.

The basis of it is quite broad, all three game elements could in themselves be separate threads. But I wonder if we have more of a party/play atmosphere, then it might keep interest up?

"Ringwind" is a working title. Please, someone who is a better wordsmith might be able to come up with a better title.

Each Ringwind follows the DVD chapters chronologically (like CHOW and SCOD). Each thread has three games, and each user earns points in each game.

Game 1: Find the Slice

Quite simply, you have to find the still in which the slice comes from. Slices might be reversed, rotated and/or flipped, or even edited to be black & white. Scoring tallies will be kept for all games and as we progress through the movies. Promotional images might be easier than any still from the movie, as options would be limitless. First person to find the image/still gets the most points, second person gets the next most etc etc.

So for instance, we would start with Ringwind - The Fellowship of the Ring - "Prologue". Where is this slice from in that chapter?

Game 2: Odd one out?

Which of these doesn't happen in this chapter? I think this should be kept quite tricky, so that you have to watch the movie, rather than already knowing the answer to it. Gramma's geeky observation list might be a massive advantage for this game. It might be fun to mix in a bit of book canon here, to get the grey cells thinking. I think 5 facts should be enough, but any number can be true or false.

For instance,

Ringwind - The Fellowship of the Ring - "The Council of Elrond"

Difficult example:

A. There are three Elves present at the Council of Elrond.
B. Gimli is sat on the 10th seat from the left
C. Gimli has his legs crossed at one point

Every person with a correct answer gets a point, and their total added from the other games. (Only one is correct above.)

Easy example:

Gimli breaks his axe
Bilbo offers to take the Ring to Mordor
Gandalf recites the Ring verse

(Two are correct above.)

Game 3: Connection

We'll connect this chapter to another chapter, through some kind of link. It might be a common sentence, or noise; a common character or actor pairing; similar shot etc. Multiple chapter connections are allowed. Connections could be limitless, which make this game fun - you might spot a connection that we didn't intend. Only the correct connection will earn you a point.

So, for instance, if were on Ringwind - The Fellowship of the Ring - Gift-giving in Lothlorien, one question might be: What connects "Gift-giving in Lothlorien" chapter to "The Black Gate" chapter?

Answer: The Elven cloaks.

A step further could be, what connects the chapters "The Black Gate", "Elven Rope" and "On the Trail of the Uruk-hai" and "Shelob"?

Answer: Members of the Fellowship are shown to use their gifts from Lady Galadriel.

Every correct answer (i.e the original intended connection/s) gets a point.

Ideas for games could be limitless. It could be run once a week. I can't imagine someone taking this up on themselves. Perhaps users host a Ringwind chapter, like CHOW and SCOD. Scores are tallied each week, with an "ultimate" winner at the end of the trilogy. Thoughts? Suggestions?

(Concerns - a lot of hard work. Too many games for the LOTR board? Participation ...)

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Sep 30 2014, 8:22pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 30 2014, 8:55pm

Post #6 of 18 (2672 views)
Shortcut
I'm all in! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's a great idea. You'd have at least me participating. Smile

In Reply To
Promotional images might be easier than any still from the movie, as options would be limitless. First person to find the image/still gets the most points, second person gets the next most etc etc.

Or perhaps we could agree to use one specific screencap gallery, such as http://www.framecaplib.com/lotrlib.htm, for example?

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 30 2014, 9:05pm

Post #7 of 18 (2666 views)
Shortcut
I especially like Game 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

The Difficult Example. That would get me watching the movies again.

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 30 2014, 9:09pm

Post #8 of 18 (2679 views)
Shortcut
I would support self scoring. [In reply to] Can't Post

In the past, I scheduled a few discussion posts on Fridays but found this place clears out about 2 pm US Central!

But there's no reason you can't try it out on that day though and see how it work currently.

You are very welcome to scour my old posts for questions. I found a lot of the questions in the game to be too hard or even a little inaccurate. So I did a LOT of sorting. If using my selections helps you... feel free. (no need to acknowledge you've done so)

Here's a search for my old posts (these might include Music Trivia which was a different game)

Edit to add... it's interesting to read some of those threads that took place when Hobbit and LOTR movie discussion was held on the same 'movie board'.

I hated that time and it shows in the threads during that time.

But I don't recommend anyone but A-d reads those old threads. It would be cheating for anyone else!

;-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Sep 30 2014, 9:15pm)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Sep 30 2014, 9:44pm

Post #9 of 18 (2665 views)
Shortcut
These games look like fun, but what about timezones? [In reply to] Can't Post

My only issue with any of these would be the scoring of game 1 based on who finds the image first. Those of us who are able to surf from work or school or those who are asleep when the post goes up could be at a disadvantage.

On the other hand, it might make people quicker to post if they know there's a time element to their score, which would lead to people checking the boards more often, posting instead of thinking about it and then wandering off and forgetting, etc, so it may work in the game's favor. So I'm not sure which would be better.

My Costuming Site

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Sep 30 2014, 9:49pm

Post #10 of 18 (2671 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your old posts will be a big help as I put together a pool of questions.

I appreciate the heads up about scheduling. My intention with Friday posts was, I think, to stay out of everyone's way and just keep some posts flowing on the board. But with SCOD on hiatus or gone and the other posts popping up on a more random basis that may not be necessary any more.

Maybe a Monday questions/Friday answers plan would be more appropriate.

My Costuming Site

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 30 2014, 11:50pm

Post #11 of 18 (2658 views)
Shortcut
Sounds fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm in to participate/host as time allows. Smile

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 1 2014, 9:22am

Post #12 of 18 (2643 views)
Shortcut
I hadn't thought of that. [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be unfair to penalise someone just for being late to the game. Maybe we can just user two or three slices, and *every* correct answer gets a point.

I am wondering whether the trivia game could become Game 4, with each set of trivia questions just for that particular movie chapter?

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 1 2014, 10:11pm

Post #13 of 18 (2612 views)
Shortcut
Great idea! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 1 2014, 10:14pm

Post #14 of 18 (2619 views)
Shortcut
I'd agree, Monday questions/Friday answers [In reply to] Can't Post

Folks seem to be on the board more during the week.

Thank you for jumping in, Arwen's daughter! This is going to be fun!

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 1 2014, 10:22pm

Post #15 of 18 (2631 views)
Shortcut
I think they're both great ideas for games [In reply to] Can't Post

I would suggest keeping the Trivia game separate, so that it can cover different parts of the films or be on different topics. This way, we'd have the Ringwind thread focusing on a particular chapter, while the Trivia game can be about anything.

Thoughts?

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 2 2014, 1:44am

Post #16 of 18 (2655 views)
Shortcut
It has to be separate [In reply to] Can't Post

The concept when we did the Trivia game was to type up questions from the Trivial Pursuit game. That alone still took a lot of work (for me, anyhow) as I sorted through a lot of questions that were either way too easy or way too hard.

To have to find questions that would fit into a chapter of the movie would be impossible.

I'm speak before A-d even has a chance to consider! :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Oct 7 2014, 7:51pm

Post #17 of 18 (2576 views)
Shortcut
FWIW, I'd prefer to keep them separate as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, very late thoughts coming in!

As Magpie mentioned, it does significantly change the way that questions would be chosen to link it with the Ringwind game or narrow it down to any particular chapter.

But also, my preference would be that the trivia game be something that can sort of fill in a gap in the board now while it's quiet, in the hopes that it can help draw some traffic in here and maybe be retired once discussion gets going again (if it ever does). In my mind, linking it to a larger game might be more intimidating for those who come to the board later on who might discover this long, ongoing game that they might not feel comfortable coming into the middle of. A one-off game might be a little easier for newbies or lurkers to join. I don't know if that would be the case or not, but my preference would be to keep it separate and see what happens.

If the Ringwind game gets off the ground and someone wants to include a trivia element to it, I'd be more than happy to either retire Movie Trivia so that it's not stepping on any toes or hand it over to someone who'd like to work with the Ringwind game a little more closely.

My intention at the moment is to kick-off Movie Trivia this upcoming Monday, October 13, unless anyone else wants to add some thoughts.

My Costuming Site

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 7 2014, 9:06pm

Post #18 of 18 (2648 views)
Shortcut
That's absolutely fine. [In reply to] Can't Post

Go for the easiest and most feasible option, I was just putting it out there. I am looking forward to the trivia game. There's no reason to clump the games together.There's enough room on the board for them all.

If it helps anyone with the decision taking the lead on Ringwind, I am more than happy to create the slices for game 1 each time. I can do that in seconds. Games 2 and 3 (and putting the posts together) would take more time and thought which I can't afford, unfortunately. I'm happy to help if someone wants it.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Oct 7 2014, 9:08pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.