The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
Shadow of Mordor - Reviews pouring in

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 26 2014, 9:21am

Post #1 of 18 (1391 views)
Shortcut
Shadow of Mordor - Reviews pouring in Can't Post

And they are mostly very good and some even raves.

Hopefully, this will be an incentive to finally give us more great games set in Middle-earth.

http://www.metacritic.com/...rth-shadow-of-mordor

Although it comes in the wake of dozens before it, Shadow of Mordor is the definitive Middle-earth experience. It smartly avoids trying to adapt already existing plot points, instead crafting its own unique story and overall experience. Combat is fluid, production values are sky high and the game is quite simply a blast to experience. Clocking in at around fifteen hours when focusing purely on the campaign, it’s a bit too short for an open-world game, and it cribs some of its best ideas from other popular franchises (although some will likely in turn swipe its impressive Nemesis System), but that doesn’t hold it back from being an enveloping adventure. More than just a great Lord of the Rings game, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor marks a new era for the franchise that can be enjoyed by fans and the uninitiated alike.

Ultimately, like many ambitious projects, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor doesn't deliver on everything it sets out to do. Although Monolith's heart is in the right place and the studio honors the lore, it doesn't really add anything that's worth seeing outside of some solid open world gameplay. It isn't a bad game, it just feels far too repetitive for its own good.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor stands out from other open-world action games by putting a great new layer on top of the trail that Batman blazed. I was surprised at how well it integrates its excellent combat with rewarding feedback and progression not just for me, but also for my enemies. I’ve had many more memorable and unpredictable battles with its randomized Warchiefs and captains than I did in the scripted campaign missions, and I expect those to keep on coming.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Sep 26 2014, 9:29am)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Sep 26 2014, 2:33pm

Post #2 of 18 (1118 views)
Shortcut
9.3! [In reply to] Can't Post

IGN Shadow of Mordor Review
IGN Shadow of Mordor Video Review

Even better than i expected. And he says that he easily got 25 hours out of the game-- sounds like the Nemesis System really worked out.

The long wait for Tuesday begins...

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Sep 26 2014, 2:40pm)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Sep 26 2014, 3:31pm

Post #3 of 18 (1110 views)
Shortcut
And here's Kotaku's review... [In reply to] Can't Post

Middle_earth: Shadow of Mordor: The Kotaku Review

Very long and in-depth. And the reviewer responds to the readers in the comments section.

Seems to be the general consensus is that the main story is a bit dull, but that the excellent gameplay, visuals, and Nemesis System more than makes up for it. Fine by me-- i'm much more interested in fun, solid gameplay than i am in some pasted on story. Cut-scenes and motion capture acting have become a bit too overused in games these days for my liking. If i want to watch a movie, i'll watch a movie. I've always been more into stories told through game play, like in Half-life, Portal, or Metroid. Games with too many cut-scenes start to lose me before long.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Sep 26 2014, 3:56pm

Post #4 of 18 (1095 views)
Shortcut
Excellent!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to hear it's being reviewed positively. Looks like such an amazing game, and can't wait till Tuesday!! Although I'm disappointed GameStop's not doing a midnight release, so now I gotta wait till morning when they open to pick up my copy...Unsure

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 26 2014, 7:48pm

Post #5 of 18 (1072 views)
Shortcut
Reviews look good [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm looking forward to it and already have the season pass on order as well.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Sep 27 2014, 2:21pm

Post #6 of 18 (1063 views)
Shortcut
So what's the deal with the season pass? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it worth it?

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 27 2014, 3:08pm

Post #7 of 18 (1062 views)
Shortcut
It appears to be. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've had pretty good experience with SP for other games I play. You'll get additional story mode one of them is dealing with playing as Celebrimbor. I know you get right now that story mode and these Exclusive 'Guardians of the Flaming Eye' mission, Early access to the 'Trials of War' challenge series. That's all I know of as of now.

Eruclauron
Bree

Sep 27 2014, 4:52pm

Post #8 of 18 (1047 views)
Shortcut
What is it? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I've had pretty good experience with SP for other games I play. You'll get additional story mode one of them is dealing with playing as Celebrimbor. I know you get right now that story mode and these Exclusive 'Guardians of the Flaming Eye' mission, Early access to the 'Trials of War' challenge series. That's all I know of as of now.

What is a "season's pass"? I'm not a gamer really at all, and I've never heard of the term. How does it work?

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 27 2014, 4:58pm

Post #9 of 18 (1052 views)
Shortcut
It is a game extension [In reply to] Can't Post

Basically season passes extended the game out. Some games it's extra maps for multiplayer, some it's more story mode stuff, etc. It just depends on what the game is.

Eruclauron
Bree

Sep 27 2014, 5:00pm

Post #10 of 18 (1046 views)
Shortcut
So... [In reply to] Can't Post

Does it work with a code you input into the game? I'm assuming that would be the case, and if so, would it be a one-time use code? The one for this game sounds interesting (especially the Celebrimbor part), but I've never used them before so I'm just a bit wary.

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 27 2014, 5:03pm

Post #11 of 18 (1045 views)
Shortcut
That's correct. [In reply to] Can't Post

When you buy either a physical or digital version of it you'll get a one time use code. Then as the material is released you'll get it for free.

Eruclauron
Bree

Sep 27 2014, 5:07pm

Post #12 of 18 (1038 views)
Shortcut
Okay, thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just one last question (sorry!): will it be saved onto the game disc, or the system (I got the game for PS4). I rarely play consoles, so I'm not really sure how they work with DLC and what not. I don't actually own a PS4 myself: it's my brother's (I bought a 3DS instead, since I play handhelds much more often), so I'm wondering if I would have to play on that system to have access to the downloaded content. I'm assuming that would be the case, but I just want to be sure. Again, sorry for asking so many questions!

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 27 2014, 5:25pm

Post #13 of 18 (1038 views)
Shortcut
No worries [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't mind the questions at all. :) Once you put the code into the PS store it will download to your system. Yes, that's the case. Whatever system you set it to download it to will be where the information is stored.

Eruclauron
Bree

Sep 27 2014, 5:26pm

Post #14 of 18 (1031 views)
Shortcut
Okay, thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I figured that would be the case, but it's nice to know for sure. Thanks again!

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 27 2014, 5:42pm

Post #15 of 18 (1030 views)
Shortcut
No problem :) [In reply to] Can't Post

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Sep 27 2014, 6:00pm

Post #16 of 18 (1038 views)
Shortcut
Sounds good. [In reply to] Can't Post

I pre-ordered Shadow of Mordor at GameStop today, but they weren't taking pre-orders for the season pass, so i'll just take care of it Tuesday.

Thanks for the info!

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 27 2014, 6:13pm

Post #17 of 18 (1042 views)
Shortcut
No problem [In reply to] Can't Post

I did all my ordering via Amazon so that's how I thibk I was able to get it all take care of.

FrogmortonJustice65
Lorien

Sep 28 2014, 10:35pm

Post #18 of 18 (1118 views)
Shortcut
this is one of the first LOTR games I don't really have much interest in playing. [In reply to] Can't Post

Its whole premise seems overly fan-fic-ish, and contrary to the spirit of Tolkien. Just saw an advertisement for this game which featured some sort of adolescent, metal music. I'll pass.

For me LOTRO is the definitive LOTR game. Takes some liberties with Tolkien, but is a beautiful recreation of Middle Earth that lends itself to exploration and discovery.

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.