First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Bexlin
Rivendell

Sep 25 2014, 5:22pm

Post #1 of 29 (3204 views)
Shortcut
Empire Benedict Cumberbatch interview. Can't Post

Talking about motion capture and the Necromancer:
"It took ages to convince people that I didn't just do the voice of Smaug or the Necromancer, that I actually physically acted them. The Necromancer's a big part of the next film. I know the Dragon steals the second one, but the Necromancer is Sauron, basically. So I was doing a bit of that yesterday (September 5). Probably my last session.
What can you expect? I don't know that I should say, because it's a big, big scene in the film. But he's a key player. You get to see what Gandalf's been up to and what ensues with that interaction. That comes to a pretty devastating conclusion. I'm not going to say anything more. Smaug gets out of this one in the first few chapters of the film. Don't want to spoil it for anyone, but there is a book out there.

(This post was edited by Bexlin on Sep 25 2014, 5:31pm)

Bexlin
Rivendell

Sep 25 2014, 5:30pm

Post #2 of 29 (2450 views)
Shortcut
More... [In reply to] Can't Post

Empire: and you were the Dragon for the hobbit. How different it was the final screen Smaug from how you imagined it?
Cumberbatch: Massively different, but really, it's the world they create around you that's the weird thing.
But back to Smaug, i've never been able to watch myself on screen, because you have that horrible self conscious feeling of seeing all the wrong choices you made. That this was utter joy. I sat watching it at Manns Chinese Theatre in LA and I was with a friend of mine who I've known for years. We were both obsessed with the book as kids. We were sat there like schoolboys giggling and going, "Holy ****! That's so cool". I remember just turning to him and shouting, "I'm a Dragon!"

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Sep 25 2014, 6:59pm)

Remus
Lorien

Sep 25 2014, 5:57pm

Post #3 of 29 (2369 views)
Shortcut
Very [In reply to] Can't Post

Very happy i finally get some info on Sauron. I hope he is more in this movie than in DOS. I hope Sauron and Gandalf talks too. Some kind of discussion. Please!

I wanna see a scene where we see Sauron walking the steps INSIDE of Bara-Dur and taking his seat upon his dark throne and summoning the eye, looking into the camera and then BAM! THE END.

-My thoughts on the best ending scene/post credit scene on TABA.

xMb
The Shire

Sep 25 2014, 6:52pm

Post #4 of 29 (2345 views)
Shortcut
'a pretty devastating conclusion' [In reply to] Can't Post

This makes me worry for Radagast :s

(This post was edited by xMb on Sep 25 2014, 6:53pm)

Faleel
Rohan

Sep 25 2014, 7:19pm

Post #5 of 29 (2240 views)
Shortcut
Sounds [In reply to] Can't Post

like a confirmation of no Smaug in the actual battle ;)

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 25 2014, 7:29pm

Post #6 of 29 (2204 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not that it wasn't pretty obvious from the start... but this should calm down some people ;)

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

sycorax82
Rohan

Sep 25 2014, 7:41pm

Post #7 of 29 (2217 views)
Shortcut
Really looking forward to see how they've handled the Necromancer! [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess it will boil down to one big scene, where Galadriel, Elrond and Saruman appear to confront him. Galadriel, most likely holding up the light of Earendil to drive back the darkness.

Though before that moment there has to be dialogue. I would love to hear Saruman speaking to the Necromancer! Not sure if that will happen...

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 25 2014, 8:12pm

Post #8 of 29 (2181 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if [In reply to] Can't Post

they will keep to "Galadriel threw down the walls and laid bare its pits". And if so, how they will portray it - will she appear to succeed after Elrond, Saruman and Gandalf all fail, or will it be more of a team effort.

DjU
Lorien

Sep 25 2014, 8:13pm

Post #9 of 29 (2189 views)
Shortcut
Radagast should survive... [In reply to] Can't Post

Radagast should survive... well at least survive Dol Guldur...

Despite many people coming to the conclusion that Radagast must die - mainly based on the fact that he was not seen in LotR movies and that Gandalf later seems to have his staff, there isn't really any evidence confirming him dying.

There are a few things that may point to the opposite though.

1) there were some pictures in one of the DoS tie in books which seems to illustrate Gandalf on Radagast's sledge and the text seems to indicate he helps him escape- however I cannot recall which book it was to double check!

2) In one of the Videoblogs covering the pickups you see Christian Rivers filming Radagast and Gandalf - however the scene they are filming does NOT appear to be the pickup that was filmed for just after High Fells. For one there is no fake tree and rock set and secondly Gandalf has no Staff and thirdly despite McKellen stumbling on his words it seems the conversation is even more urgent than the post High Fells one, they talk of a 'gathered army' opposed to just Sauron's servants and send Radagasts to follow 'him'.

https://www.youtube.com/...youtu.be&t=2m30s

Now all that said, it is possible Radagast may die if he goes of following someone! But he should survive Dol Guldur...

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 25 2014, 8:24pm

Post #10 of 29 (2131 views)
Shortcut
Maybe he leaves to go protect the animals and plants [In reply to] Can't Post

Because the world of Men is not all there is to Middle-earth. So if Radagast's mission as a wizard was directed more to plants and animals than to Men, maybe he will part ways with Gandalf by explaining that just as Gandalf needs to help and protect those in the world of Men from the growing evil, so he (Radagast) needs to help and protect the plants and animals from it too.

Gandalf has his work, his mission, and Radagast has his.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 25 2014, 8:47pm

Post #11 of 29 (2112 views)
Shortcut
Bom'zz Theory? [In reply to] Can't Post

Radagast take Thrain'zzz Dead Body to Erebor by Bunny-Sled

SSOoo..
he can be buried next to
His Son,
Thorin &
Fili&Kili

The Last Heirs to the Throne of Erebor
Buried To-gether...

PERIOD..

Lynch me
From the Highest TREE
in Fangorn?

if Bombyzz is
Wrong? (Again)

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 25 2014, 9:08pm

Post #12 of 29 (2066 views)
Shortcut
lol I don't know that the bunny sled would fit the occasion [In reply to] Can't Post

Shouldn't the hearse for a King be a bit more ... regal WinkSly?

Glorfindela
Valinor

Sep 25 2014, 10:38pm

Post #13 of 29 (2029 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

That would be a fitting development for Radagast (a death would certainly not be).

In Reply To
Because the world of Men is not all there is to Middle-earth. So if Radagast's mission as a wizard was directed more to plants and animals than to Men, maybe he will part ways with Gandalf by explaining that just as Gandalf needs to help and protect those in the world of Men from the growing evil, so he (Radagast) needs to help and protect the plants and animals from it too.

Gandalf has his work, his mission, and Radagast has his.

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 25 2014, 11:18pm

Post #14 of 29 (2010 views)
Shortcut
It could be very moving, too [In reply to] Can't Post

If Radagast leaves under those circumstances. Given the Professor's love of the natural world, it would be very fitting to have a character in the film call out the need for giving care and protection to it Smile.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Sep 25 2014, 11:30pm

Post #15 of 29 (2000 views)
Shortcut
I'm very open to him dying. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it could be wonderfully emotive. I agree there isn't much evidence either way but I think it could fit the story very well.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 26 2014, 1:13am

Post #16 of 29 (2007 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

that your thoughts went there. I'm assuming the "devastating" is referring to the death of Thorin, Fili, and Kili. Keep in mind that anyone who hasn't read the book, which is a very large portion of the general audience, will not be expecting that. A traditional movie ending would have Thorin victorious and reclaiming his throne after defeating the dragon, not succumbing to dragon-sickness and Arkenstone obsession and provoking war with Men and Elves and finally dying in a massive unexpected battle with orcs and all....this is the point at which the story takes a drastic turn from the light children's fairy story it began as and turns into something altogether different. And yes, on your first read (or first viewing), it's pretty devastating.

Radagast may or may not survive it, but IMO he's not that major a character in this for his death to make the end of the movie "devastating", except for a small number of dedicated fans. For everyone else, he'd be on about the level of Haldir's death in LOTR. Sad, definitely, but not of great overall impact to the main story.

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 26 2014, 1:24am

Post #17 of 29 (2004 views)
Shortcut
What interested me... [In reply to] Can't Post

in the recent "tapestry", is that there seem to be fire raining from the sky and rivers of fire or some such thing in the scene representing the Bof5A, and I've been wondering ever since what exactly that's representing. I don't think Smaug should be there, and there have been no comments from the filmmakers that lead me to think he will be, so who or what is causing this and what is burning? There also seem to be some ruins that look like they might have once been giant statues like the Hidden Stair. Do the orcs/Necromancer set fire to Dale or blow up Ravenhill? Or is it the cloud of smoke and ashes from Laketown? Does anyone else have any ideas about this?

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 26 2014, 2:16am

Post #18 of 29 (1983 views)
Shortcut
Those flying fire things could be the burning debris from a bomb... [In reply to] Can't Post

... sort of like the Deeping Wall. I may be mistaken, but I think I recall mention of there being explosives being used. Perhaps it was the Dwarves and Samug skirmish we saw in DOS and has nothing to do with the upcoming battle though.

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Sep 26 2014, 9:06am

Post #19 of 29 (1890 views)
Shortcut
I disagree with this [In reply to] Can't Post

In my view Radagast IS a memorable character in Tolkien's work, and when seeing LotR I was very much aware of his presence in the background, even though he did not appear in those films. He is certainly more important than Haldir, who was non-canon, so one could take or leave his death.

Should Radagast be done away with – unnecessary in my view – I would be very disappointed. I also feel that such a death would take away from the deaths of Thorin (primarily) and the other two (who I care about much less).

I much prefer Loreslime's idea for Radagast as described above, and think it would be far more fitting given the story than yet another death (however much PJ likes to serve up gore):

'Given the Professor's love of the natural world, it would be very fitting to have a character in the film call out the need for giving care and protection to it.'

In Reply To
Radagast may or may not survive it, but IMO he's not that major a character in this for his death to make the end of the movie "devastating", except for a small number of dedicated fans. For everyone else, he'd be on about the level of Haldir's death in LOTR. Sad, definitely, but not of great overall impact to the main story.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Sep 26 2014, 9:11am)

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 26 2014, 9:35am

Post #20 of 29 (1878 views)
Shortcut
I hope... [In reply to] Can't Post

... what they once said in the design process - that they imagine Radagast eventually totally losing himself in nature - will be hinted at and that he just leaves the world of men, elves and dwarves for good.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 26 2014, 10:04am

Post #21 of 29 (1867 views)
Shortcut
And you'd be one [In reply to] Can't Post

of those dedicated fans I mentioned, as are most people here.

In your reaction to my assessment of Radagast's status as a secondary character, you seem to have missed my point entirely. I was just surprised that someone took BC's comment about a "devastating" finale to be a hint of Radagast's death because I think it's almost certainly referring to the deaths of the three dwarves, and especially Thorin. We will be expecting these deaths - but many in the general audience who have not read the book will not see it coming, and will indeed be devastated by it. In terms of the movie storyline, those are the only deaths I see as meriting that description in a standard magazine interview. Radagast may or may not die, and fans may be quite upset over it, but I don't think BC was referring to him with that comment. That's all.

Silverlode

Glorfindela
Valinor

Sep 26 2014, 10:25am

Post #22 of 29 (1860 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this would do the trick – though I would still like to think of him managing to help the natural world, probably because I think it needs such help…

In Reply To
... what they once said in the design process - that they imagine Radagast eventually totally losing himself in nature - will be hinted at and that he just leaves the world of men, elves and dwarves for good.

Shagrat
Gondor

Sep 26 2014, 11:14am

Post #23 of 29 (1841 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm hoping for a rather lengthy White Council scene at the end, perhaps as Gandalf and Bilbo stop off at Rivendell on their return journey. Given the 'too many endings' nonsense of ROTK, I expect this would be saved for the EE, or at least most of it. Have them discuss the present situation. Radagast could say to Gandalf that he wants no more of this and is going off in isolation, to protect the natural world. However, he assures Gandalf that if ever he needs help then he can contact him through his animal friends (i.e. moths), and he will do what he can to help (namely contacting Gwaihir and friends). This would set up aspects of LOTR nicely, and needn't be more than a minute or so.

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 26 2014, 3:48pm

Post #24 of 29 (1805 views)
Shortcut
Exactly! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Radagast could say to Gandalf that he wants no more of this and is going off in isolation, to protect the natural world. However, he assures Gandalf that if ever he needs help then he can contact him through his animal friends (i.e. moths), and he will do what he can to help (namely contacting Gwaihir and friends). This would set up aspects of LOTR nicely, and needn't be more than a minute or so.

It would be true to his character, it would resolve why he is not around in LOTR, and - you raise a very good point - it will also tie in with those moments in LOTR when Gandalf interacts with the moth and the eagles.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Sep 27 2014, 7:26am

Post #25 of 29 (1715 views)
Shortcut
That's my idea since the LOTR films: [In reply to] Can't Post

that the moth Gandalf sends out to call upon the Eagles is actually Radagast!!! Or the link to him Cool
So I couldn't agree more with you...!

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.