Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the Baggins birthday reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 23 2014, 3:07pm

Post #1 of 22 (605 views)
Shortcut
It's the Baggins birthday reading thread! Can't Post

This morning I'm juggling several different things (even worse than I usually am), so, with apologies, I'm going to post and run.

What have you been reading?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 23 2014, 3:15pm

Post #2 of 22 (521 views)
Shortcut
In honor of 'Banned Book Week'... [In reply to] Can't Post

I might open up one of my volumes of Jeff Smith's Bone.

Still reading The Dragonriders of Pern (now on The White Dragon).

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 23 2014, 4:01pm

Post #3 of 22 (516 views)
Shortcut
LotR, Saint Young Men [In reply to] Can't Post

I finished LotR, after a ten-year hiatus. Even after a couple dozen readings, I still find new details in the landscapes I'd never noticed before. And this time, I really had to struggle to put movie images out of my head (Faramir), and try to recall the images I'd had for decades before the movies.

And yesterday I got my first manga, volume 1 of Saint Young Men in Spanish. I guess this kind of falls under the banned books heading: It hasn't been published in English, apparently because the author is afraid of lawsuits by angry Americans. I'd read it online, where a fan has translated it, but I wanted the book. I can't read Japanese, and I can read Spanish with a little help from the diccionario, so I went that way. (The anime is online too, and is also fun.)

Anyway, it's a sweet story about how Jesus and Buddha get tired of heaven and decide to go on a vacation in Tokyo. They get a bachelor apartment, and go shopping, and ride the train, and go to the amusement park, and react to life in the modern city. Jesus gets mistaken for Johnny Depp, but Buddha looks only like himself.

My daughter turned me onto this, and when she went to Nan Desu Kan (an anime con) a few weeks ago, she ran across a guy dressed like the Jesus from Saint Young Men, and made his day by asking him for a photo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Sep 23 2014, 4:02pm)

Annael
Immortal

Sep 23 2014, 7:50pm

Post #4 of 22 (500 views)
Shortcut
Still reading "Passion of the Western Mind" [In reply to] Can't Post

I love how he sees history as this interwoven web of events and ideas, each affecting each other and leading inexorably to the next shift in thought. Rick Tarnas is brilliant and a fabulous writer.

But I need fluff too, so I've been on a kick of re-reading Georgette Heyer. After "Friday's Child" I re-read "The Nonesuch" and now "Arabella."

And I just picked up a book called "The Secret Portrait" I'm eager to dive into . . . .Wink

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Meneldor
Valinor

Sep 24 2014, 12:22am

Post #5 of 22 (488 views)
Shortcut
Slaves of Socorro [In reply to] Can't Post

Book 4 of Flanagan's Brotherband Chronicles. The boys are back at sea. :)

I've had this one for a while, but waited for the right time to read it. At the cabin by the lake, sitting on the dock with warm sun and cool breeze. Perfect.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 24 2014, 12:59am

Post #6 of 22 (487 views)
Shortcut
Tess of the D'Urbervilles... [In reply to] Can't Post

About 100 pages into it so far. It was a slow start, but I'm finally 'into' it mentally. A tragic figure, Tess...

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 24 2014, 2:31pm

Post #7 of 22 (470 views)
Shortcut
So... [In reply to] Can't Post

...you're checking out another branch of the Fairbairn family? Wink Me, I've just found a fascinating book titled Jane Eyre's Sisters hiding on my desk and am looking forward to enjoying it. Smile

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Sep 24 2014, 3:07pm

Post #8 of 22 (475 views)
Shortcut
The Wicked Day by Mary Stewart [In reply to] Can't Post

After reading (and re-reading) her Merlin trilogy, I thought I'd venture forth into the next book, knowing already that Merlin wouldn't be a part of the story. But since I figured Arthur would be there, I wanted to continue on with his tale.

Well.....I have to say, although the book is well written, I thought it felt rushed at the end. Like the author wanted to wrap it up quickly without her usual care. My biggest complaint however, is that it's a story that centers around characters I don't like, leading to an ending I absolutely hated. Yes, I know. That's a strong word, but a true one in my case. While I'm sure we are not meant to like the main characters in this, it's really hard to build a reader-engaging story around such as these.

It was such a disappointment after the spectacular glory of her three Merlin books. Speaking of Merlin, I can't remember when I've so loved a character. This man she's created is so vividly alive and fleshed out for me, so fascinating and complex a character, I can't seem to pull myself away from the pages. He's an enchanter, for sure, in all senses of the word! I think my favorite of the three Merlin trilogy books is the second one, The Hollow Hills. There are so many moments that I love in that one, starting with Merlin's first meeting with Arthur all the way to Arthur's drawing the sword from the blazing fire on the stone altar. And, as the boy said to Merlin, "It was you all along". Indeed.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Sep 24 2014, 4:15pm

Post #9 of 22 (469 views)
Shortcut
I love the Merlin Trilogy [In reply to] Can't Post

It was the first time I read a version of the Arthurian legend where I felt like I connected with the story. There is something about the humanity of Merlin the Enchanter that makes me want to know more. I *had* to keep reading, even though I knew there were dark times ahead. The Hollow Hills is my favorite of the books for the whole story but the single scene that touched me most is when Merlin "gave" Ambrosius immortality.

"... and while the King lies there under the stone the Kingdom shall not fall. For as long and longer than it has stood before, the Dance shall stand again, with the light striking it from the living heaven. And I shall bring back the great stone to lay upon the Grave-place, and this shall be the heart of Britain, and from this time on all the kings shall be one King and all the gods one God. And you shall live again in Britain, and for ever, for we will make between us a Kin whole name will stand as long as the Dance stands, and who will be more than a Symbol; he will be a shield and a living sword.
I stared at him, while my sight slowly cleared. "what did I say?"
"You gave me a kingdom. And you have me immortality. What more is there?...."

Give me goosebumps just typing it!

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Sep 24 2014, 4:24pm

Post #10 of 22 (468 views)
Shortcut
I love that passage!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

And a wee correction to the typo in your quote, if I may....for those who are unfamiliar with it,
"... and while the King lies there under the stone the Kingdom shall not fall. For as long and longer than it has stood before, the Dance shall stand again, with the light striking it from the living heaven. And I shall bring back the great stone to lay upon the Grave-place, and this shall be the heart of Britain, and from this time on all the kings shall be one King and all the gods one God. And you shall live again in Britain, and for ever, for we will make between us a King whose name will stand as long as the Dance stands, and who will be more than a Symbol; he will be a shield and a living sword."

Merlin's words ring in my head with a grandeur and gravitas that takes my breath away. Speaking of the Dance, I have seen it once - Stonehenge - and hope to see it again with renewed vision next year.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Sep 24 2014, 4:32pm

Post #11 of 22 (467 views)
Shortcut
whoops... [In reply to] Can't Post

Transcribing without my glasses and hit send too fast... Blush

Someday... SOMEDAY... I will see the Dance...

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

(This post was edited by Dame Ioreth on Sep 24 2014, 4:34pm)

Annael
Immortal

Sep 24 2014, 6:24pm

Post #12 of 22 (453 views)
Shortcut
I have that book but have not been able to read it. [In reply to] Can't Post

and your review makes me think I might not . . .

LOVED the trilogy.

morganlyfe
Rivendell

Sep 25 2014, 6:32pm

Post #13 of 22 (430 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I love that series! [In reply to] Can't Post

I stopped after the third book too (or now that I think about it, maybe it was the second... I'll have to go back and re-read them to find out). They're definitely in my top 10 favorite books. I've been a fan of the King Arthur Legend from a young age and I loved how she stuck with the fundamentals while giving it fresh twists. Her writing is amazing; her descriptions are vivid, her characters are well-rounded and admirable (or appealingly hate-able, depending on what she's going for). It's a shame to hear The Wicked Day doesn't hold up to such expectations (I'll still probably get around to reading it some time, but thanks for the warning. Maybe it will read better if I'm prepared for it).

morganlyfe
Rivendell

Sep 25 2014, 6:41pm

Post #14 of 22 (431 views)
Shortcut
I just finished a CJ Cherryh Novel [In reply to] Can't Post

My mother has been a CJ Cherryh fan for sometime, but I hadn't read any of her works until now. I started with The Gates of Ivrel (The first in the Morgaine series) which I loved. The language is very Tolkien-esque while the story is original and captivating. I really enjoyed it and I plan on reading the rest of the series (as soon I can borrow them from my mother :P).

Has anyone else here read her works? I know she has other series. Any in particular that are worth checking out?

PS.-- It's been a while since I've been on this thread (years), but it's good to be back. Hope everyone has had a good week and did sometime fun to celebrate the Bagginses birthdays :)

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 25 2014, 7:29pm

Post #15 of 22 (425 views)
Shortcut
The Wizard of Oz, The Magic of Recluce [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never read The Wizard Of Oz, so it's been very interesting to read the original and compare to the film. So far Dorothy has collected all her companions and they've just recovered from their encounter with the red poppies, so I'm looking forward to reading how the rest of it plays out. It's charming.

I also picked up a battered paperback of The Magic of Recluce at a library book sale. Had never heard of L.E. Modesitt and after reading it was surprised to find he went on to write another 60+ more sci-fi and fantasy books and is still writing! I liked the book, particularly the casual, easygoing way he wrote about magic. Overall didn't quite love the book enough to go out and find and read the rest of the Recluce series though. But as a standalone book I enjoyed it.

Annael
Immortal

Sep 25 2014, 10:19pm

Post #16 of 22 (417 views)
Shortcut
I love the "Gate" series [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's her best. I've read the Faded Sun series as well, plus several stand-alone novels. Tried to get into the Pride of Chanur and Foreigner series, but couldn't quite manage it.

I do have a problem with her: sometimes she's too obscure about what's actually going on, and I am left going " . . . what?"

Welcome back!

(This post was edited by Annael on Sep 25 2014, 10:19pm)

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Sep 25 2014, 11:35pm

Post #17 of 22 (417 views)
Shortcut
That is one of my favorite scenes in the trilogy [In reply to] Can't Post

between Merlin and Arthur...

In Reply To

And, as the boy said to Merlin, "It was you all
along". Indeed.

...from "I thought you were my father" to "It was you, from the very beginning." HeartHeart

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 26 2014, 1:20am

Post #18 of 22 (421 views)
Shortcut
Gone Girl [In reply to] Can't Post

It's worth the hype. Very well-written at the sentence level, good character development, and a plot that keeps you guessing, and guessing.

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 26 2014, 2:55am

Post #19 of 22 (407 views)
Shortcut
For me... [In reply to] Can't Post

The upcoming film will be my first experience with this one. I wish I could have read the book beforehand, but haven't had any time to fit in more than what I have now.

I'd be interested in hearing your comparison of the two, should you see the film!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Kim
Valinor

Sep 26 2014, 3:38am

Post #20 of 22 (406 views)
Shortcut
Nope [In reply to] Can't Post

I can only agree with one of your statements: "a plot that keeps you guessing, and guessing." It does keep your interest, much like a train wreck. As for the rest, ugh. I did not like this book, the writing style and characters really turned me off, and I literally could not decide who I disliked more. I have no interest in seeing the movie. Crazy

Join us every weekend for The Hobbit Chapter of the Week discussions!

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Sep 26 2014, 5:23am

Post #21 of 22 (400 views)
Shortcut
I was going to say what my favorites scenes were in this second book but [In reply to] Can't Post

I found myself writing moment after moment, scene after scene. So I nixed that idea. I think the entire book, The Hollow Hills is, for me, one big favorite scene! LOL! So many moments to savor and treasure here. As they say, an embarrassment of riches.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 26 2014, 1:47pm

Post #22 of 22 (403 views)
Shortcut
Agree on the characters [In reply to] Can't Post

I started off liking them enough, but by the end didn't like anyone.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.