First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 23 2014, 1:54am

Post #1 of 50 (2148 views)
Shortcut
How About our Actors & The Oscars?? Can't Post

WILL anyone of them WIN an Oscar?

(These Movies are an Actors DREAM come true)

For Lead Actor ina Dramatic Role?
Sir Ian Kellen?, Richard Armitage?, Martin Freeman?

Best Supporting Role?
Ken Stott, James Nesbitt, Graham McTavish..
Lee Pace, Luke Evans?

"Hollywood"... might Spring for SUM Gold..
NEXXT year?

Thoughtz Thinking, Speculating..

ALSO Other Oscars?

IS it time for PJ
again?..

THis RACE izz always Interesting

Wouldn't it BE SSOoo....Great if
SIR Ian MeKellen got it!

HIS GANDALF
.... is a Lifetime's worth of work
WHAT ?

"16 years of Brilliance"?

Bomby KNOWzz.. he would
REALLY be Happy....

Wouldn't you?

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

LordotRings93
Rohan

Sep 23 2014, 2:25am

Post #2 of 50 (1546 views)
Shortcut
I would love some actor to be recognized [In reply to] Can't Post

If any of the actors were to be nominated, I'd definitely hope Martin Freeman and/or Richard Armitage over everyone else, as their performances are beyond phenomenal, and the best in the Middle-earth saga, and that's saying a lot amongst all the amazing actors. But, I fear these films aren't just Best Actor material, as they don't focus on just a single character, they're more ensemble films, which is why there were no acting nominations for LOTR aside from McKellen's one-off for FOTR. But again, I think Martin Freeman, he's just beyond talented. Just his subtle gestures and movements bring Bilbo even more to life. But again, these films are not really going for the route of showing off an actor's acting chops for an Oscar, instead it's an ensemble.

But I do hope Peter Jackson gets Best Director, as he should for yet doing another monumental film trilogy and giving even more of his time and effort into these wonderful films, and that's why I hope the Academy recognizes these films next year as one single piece and give it some awards. Here's hoping Shore's score blows the Academy back and it gets a nomination/win.

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Sep 23 2014, 3:00am

Post #3 of 50 (1514 views)
Shortcut
I would like to see Martin and Richard nominated. And Sir Ian. [In reply to] Can't Post

They don't stand a chance of winning I don't think. More likely to be Benedict Cumberbatch for the movie he's got coming out. It's an Acadamy type movie, unfortunately the The Hobbit isn't, at least not for the acting awards.

It's okay though. I am just looking forward to a great final movie in the Tolkien franchise.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Farficom
Rivendell

Sep 23 2014, 3:31am

Post #4 of 50 (1512 views)
Shortcut
I don't see it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Both Martin Freeman and Ian McKellen have done an outstanding job... and they do so in everything they do. None the less, I don't see any of the actors taking home an Oscar. Then again I'm not sure what all they will be up against as I have not looked at a lot of the movies coming out, or have been out. The Hobbit is the only thing I will see for the foreseeable future.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Sep 23 2014, 5:55am

Post #5 of 50 (1497 views)
Shortcut
I dont see it happening, if any, Ian Mckellen as a regonizement of his unique portrayal of Gandalf in all six movies [In reply to] Can't Post

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 23 2014, 7:28am

Post #6 of 50 (1479 views)
Shortcut
No. [In reply to] Can't Post

If there was an Ensemble Oscar, they would highly deserve nominations and also a win for at least one of the three (just as much as the LotR cast deserved one).

However, the only performance that would have been Oscar-material was Serkis in AUJ and back in the day McKellen in FotR.

I don't see Freeman or Armitage having the slightest shot with all the actors who will likely get nominations this year. They are not really Oscar roles, imho.

And before people jump on me again - saying that it isn't Oscar material has nothing to do with saying that they do not offer good or even outstanding performances.

The chances for "Best Director" and "Best Picture" are close to zero. Unless Bot5A is a total break-out in reviews and reception. There is no Oscar buzz whatsoever for this trilogy... and even the VFX Oscar might be lost once again to Planet of the Apes or Interstellar.

Though there might be a Hobbit-connected actor in the run for an Oscar - Benedict Cumberbatch seems to be in a frontrunner position for a nomination for "The Imitation Game".

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Sep 23 2014, 7:40am)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 23 2014, 8:43am

Post #7 of 50 (1467 views)
Shortcut
I don't think so. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think there's much chance of winning anything at all, actually - there are certain sorts of roles which get nominated and certain sorts which never/almost never do, and neither LOTR nor TH offer much of the Oscar-bait types. The Hobbit movies are stellar ensemble pieces, but there isn't an Oscar for that. Ensembles fall into a sort of no-man's-land; nobody is enough of a lead to get a nod in the Best Actor category, and since everyone's a "supporting" role and they're all good, nobody makes enough of a solo impact to get into the Best Supporting category. Sir Ian was nominated for a Supporting Actor for Gandalf in FOTR, and they won't nominate him again for the same role in a prequel. I'd say the only person who would stand even the slightest chance of a nomination for BOTFA is Richard Armitage IF his death scene is astoundingly impressive in the acting department, but I can't say I really expect it. Bilbo is too much of a "light/comic" role to get a nom - comedy doesn't win Oscars.

Add in the fact that The Hobbit is living in the shadow of LOTR, which was groundbreaking enough to overcome the "fantasy's not serious enough for Best Picture" blockade - but The Hobbit is far more of a children's story, and even with the LOTR-foreshadowing moments, it simply doesn't have the same gravitas. All the awards for Middle-earth were already given to LOTR and especially ROTK, I can't see the Academy giving any more. No matter how good it gets, it will still be only be "more", not "new or greater".

I don't even see us getting any major tech or design awards, since everything is a visual continuation of the world that's already been awarded. There's no technical innovation equivalent to the MASSIVE engine or Gollum's astounding mo-cap, and the 48fps hasn't been embraced by the industry yet, so they won't be awarding that.

But, and let me stress this - none of this means they aren't good or worthy films. The Oscars are in many ways an industry popularity contest, not a measure of audience satisfaction or enjoyment (we may well see some fan award noms and/or wins). One only has to look back at some films that have won big and see what they were up against to see that the award doesn't always go to the film that makes the most lasting impact, or the performance that the judgment of hindsight would have chosen. That's why it what LOTR did was so absolutely incredible - but that lightning can't be expected to strike again. I'm just so happy I was here for it when it did. Cool

I would not be at all surprised to see some of our cast win for other roles in the future. And if there's any justice at all, someday Andy Serkis will get a Lifetime Achievement special Oscar for his role in establishing motion capture as a legitimate acting process, not just computer animation.

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 23 2014, 8:50am

Post #8 of 50 (1423 views)
Shortcut
Very well said. [In reply to] Can't Post

Agreed 100%!

A lot of reviews of Planet of the Apes already demanded a nomination for Serkis playing Caesar. I am sure he will win his Oscar sooner or later... though it is a shame he won't get one for Gollum.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Sep 23 2014, 10:16am

Post #9 of 50 (1419 views)
Shortcut
I'd be happy to cross the line [In reply to] Can't Post

And say I just don't think any of the performances are good enough to be credibly put forward as the best of the year. For BOFA, we haven't seen it, so anything is technically possible but I would think it extremely unlikely.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Sep 23 2014, 10:40am

Post #10 of 50 (1407 views)
Shortcut
In my view [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't say that any none of the performances are good enough. I think characters such as Thorin, Bilbo, Gandalf and Thranduil were great and well acted, but they were simply drowned out by all the made-up non-canon nonsense.

As far as the visuals and costumes go, though, I think these films are astonishing (apart from my gripe that there is not enough shot outdoors in the lovely NZ countryside).

In Reply To
And say I just don't think any of the performances are good enough to be credibly put forward as the best of the year. For BOFA, we haven't seen it, so anything is technically possible but I would think it extremely unlikely.

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 23 2014, 11:15am

Post #11 of 50 (1394 views)
Shortcut
Hm... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I'd say most of them are well acted and fill out the characters they are portraying. But I agree that it is not really Oscar material... at least not when you look at what performances are usually nominated. Freeman and Armitage do a great job bringing their characters to live... but I agree that there are more outstanding performances "out there".

I also do not think that this has anything to do with "mad-up non canon stuff" as Glorfindela suggested. Even an adaption straight from the book with some added character scenes wouldn't have changed the fact that the Academy is not really keen to award indivduals from an ensemble cast.

What I do find ridiculous is that "Production Design" was not even nominated for DoS... that was especially weird after AUJ (which was mainly more of the same of what we had seen in FotR) was nominated.

I think it is realistic to expect 3 nominations (Visual Effects, Make-Up, Production Design) and 0 wins.

If it is received really well it might be up for sound, soundtrack and maybe the song. I doubt it, though.

If Interstellar is received well, it will totally dominate the technical categories, imho - it actually has the chance to dominate "all" categories, if it can deliver on the hype it build up (many people in the movie industry believe that Nolan's big award appreciation is over-due since the Dark Knight snub - which even led to more movies getting nominated in the BP category). And even if it disappoints I'd expect Planet of the Apes to win the VFX Oscar over Bot5A.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Sep 23 2014, 11:20am)

Elarie
Grey Havens

Sep 23 2014, 12:54pm

Post #12 of 50 (1367 views)
Shortcut
I would love it, but I'm not expecting it [In reply to] Can't Post

There seems to be a modern Hollywood rule that in order to win a dramatic Oscar you have to:
A. do the big sobbing, crying, wailing "I'm so sorry" scene
B. do the big sobbing, crying, wailing "I'm going through drug withdrawal" scene
C. do the big sobbing, crying, wailing "please don't hit me" scene

So in order for the Hobbit to get any dramatic Oscars, I guess we'd have to see: A. Thorin sitting on his pile of gold, sobbing for 20 minutes and begging the dwarves for forgiveness for being such a grump, or B. Gandalf writhing on the floor trying to kick his pipe weed habit, or C. Bilbo sneaking out of Erebor and going to the Shelter for Abused Hobbits instead of Thranduil's camp.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic, but only because I'm so fed up with the wacky choices at the Academy Awards. I still watch every year, but these days I pay more attention to the pretty dresses than the awards. But who knows, maybe we'll get a shocking and wonderful surprise and I'll have to take it all back. That would be fantastic. TongueSmile

If this is to end in barrels, then we will all shampoo together.

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 23 2014, 1:17pm

Post #13 of 50 (1348 views)
Shortcut
I know you are being sarcastic... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but imho one also has to be careful not to overdo the generalization on what is and what is not "typical Oscar-material".

I thought, for example, Blanchett and McConaughy were good choices last year who did not have such cliché scenes.

The worst example in that respect was Anne Hathaway for Les Miserables... how she could be awarded over someone such as Sally Field (for "Lincoln") is still beyond me and one of my biggest Oscar upsets.

Though Les Miserables was a good example of a mediocre-reviewed movie that had enough Oscar buzz to still get nominated and even win in some major categories.

However, looking at the list of acting nominees of the last two years - I simply cannot see who should have been snubbed in favour of any of the Hobbit actors.

But for a movie with neither Oscar buzz nor stellar reviews, nominations for the "biggies" are highly unlikely.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Sep 23 2014, 1:21pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 23 2014, 1:23pm

Post #14 of 50 (1326 views)
Shortcut
Elarie.... Thang you Berry buch! [In reply to] Can't Post

You made Bombyzzz DAY!

SSOoo..True what you said!

Wasn't IT...jus' LAST YEAR?
That Mathew McC...was in "Dallas Buyerzz Club"
had to lose 35 Pounds...TO look like a
Strung out AIDS Dude?

NOW, he is Finally taken Seriously?

Heart

www.charlie-art.biz

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Sep 23 2014, 1:59pm

Post #15 of 50 (1327 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

That the characters were great and that they were well acted, but that doesn't get us to them being the best performances in any film that year. I know some lovely local restaurants where the food is great and well cooked, but I wouldn't put them forward for a Michelin star.

As a side note, I wouldn't think the "canonicity" would have any impact on an Oscar judge's view.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Sep 23 2014, 2:08pm

Post #16 of 50 (1316 views)
Shortcut
Yes, and I was exaggerating, too [In reply to] Can't Post

But only because I do get a little tired of the overtly "emotional" performances that seem to frequently override the more quiet ones that can have so much depth and subtlety. Two of my favorite acting performances that I saw this summer were Kevin Costner and Jennifer Garner in "Draft Day", also one of my favorite movies of the summer. I'm always a little bit in awe when an actor can sit still with a more or less blank face and say nothing, and yet you know what he is thinking and feeling and Kevin Costner totally nailed that in this movie. I'm looking forward to getting this movie on DVD and watching it again, and of course, watching Frank Langella sail through his supporting role as the team owner was a total delight (favorite line: "What can I say, it's good to be the owner".) Smile

As always, it will be interesting to see what the Academy comes up with this year.

If this is to end in barrels, then we will all shampoo together.

(This post was edited by Elarie on Sep 23 2014, 2:11pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 23 2014, 2:24pm

Post #17 of 50 (1313 views)
Shortcut
Well, I don't anticipate a repeat of RotK's Oscar sweep. [In reply to] Can't Post

TH:BotFA might see more Oscar wins than its two predecessors combined, but I don't expect it to come close to winning every category for which it receives a nomination.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Sep 23 2014, 2:55pm

Post #18 of 50 (1285 views)
Shortcut
Imitation Game [In reply to] Can't Post

With BC is going to take many Oscars. It's an Oscar type film. I'm not saying the Hobbit isn't worthy, it's a great movie. It's just not the type that Hollywood likes. Imitation Game (which also is a great films from the pre screenings that have been done thus far) is more award winning type material. Honestly I don't get all the hype over oscars and Emmy's and such. I don't even watch. It's too often self congratulatory and too much hype. I know there are tons of people that enjoy the glitz and watching etc. and I think that's great. It's just not my thing. But I agree with you. The understated performances often miss out.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

dubulous
Rohan

Sep 23 2014, 3:15pm

Post #19 of 50 (1282 views)
Shortcut
Alas, I don't see it happening [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the performances Martin Freeman and Richard Armitage (and also Ken Stott, Ian McKellen etc) have already given would be worth consideration, and I'm sure the third movie will give us even more emotional material, but this is not a genre the Academy usually favours, especially when it comes to acting. Even LOTR, though it eventually won many Oscars with ROTK, was more or less completely snubbed in terms of acting. Only Ian McKellen, if I remember correctly, was even nominated.

And The Hobbit, though I'd go as far as to say it has an even stronger ensemble in terms of acting than LOTR did, just hasn't really been creating the sort of award buzz that would make an acting nomination even a possibility, whether it was deserved or not.

(This post was edited by dubulous on Sep 23 2014, 3:16pm)

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Sep 23 2014, 3:19pm

Post #20 of 50 (1285 views)
Shortcut
Sadly I think all of this is true. [In reply to] Can't Post

But if we ever get the Silmarillion it better rack up some awards. Wink

"And so they stood on the walls of the city of Gondor, and a great wind rose and blew, and their hair, raven and golden, streamed out mingling in the air."

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 23 2014, 3:21pm

Post #21 of 50 (1286 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Turin is Oscar material. [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, the Children of Hurin in general is much more of the sort of stuff that is popular with the Academy.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Sep 23 2014, 3:30pm

Post #22 of 50 (1274 views)
Shortcut
On the contrary [In reply to] Can't Post

If badly done, as it was in several places in DoS, I think it would certainly skew Oscar judges votes when it came to every category.

In my opinion.

In Reply To
As a side note, I wouldn't think the "canonicity" would have any impact on an Oscar judge's view.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 23 2014, 3:57pm

Post #23 of 50 (1279 views)
Shortcut
Well, there is a PERFECT Opportunity for RA? [In reply to] Can't Post

.."There is more in you of good than you know,
child of the kindly West.

Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure.

If more of us valued food and cheer and some song
above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

But sad or merry, I must leave it now.
Farewell!"

If delivered in front of Howardzz Music...
could become the
ONE Clip shown next year in Front of Billions of Viewerzz
@ the Oscers?

To Seal the DEAL for OUR Thorin?

EVEN if he doesn't WIN?

Likely go down in "Cinema History"
.. as one of the most
Iconic (CANON) lines EVER

bom
...Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Sep 23 2014, 5:02pm

Post #24 of 50 (1249 views)
Shortcut
DOS was snubbed [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't even pick up special effects noms, and that was with SMAUG! I wouldn't be surprised if BOTFA gets NO noms this time, not for director, movie, any cinematography, costumes, nada. The oscars are such a waste of time anyway, I never watch them - just get the recap the next day. If I remember correctly, last year I didn't give a $#!+ who won anything beyond "Let It Go" getting best song. Oh well, life goes on I guess.

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Sep 23 2014, 5:39pm

Post #25 of 50 (1244 views)
Shortcut
"Badly done" I can understand [In reply to] Can't Post

But not the "canonicity". I can well picture a judge reacting negatively to a poor "non-canon" scene but I can't picture them reacting any less neagatively to a poor "canon" scene. In fact you can see just this in many critics' reviews.

It seems to me the quality of the scene is the differentiator. I can't see that "canonicity" enters into it.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.