Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XIV
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

VValar
Gondor

Sep 22 2014, 7:23pm

Post #76 of 206 (5538 views)
Shortcut
     Silm spoilers and NZ roots [In reply to]  

Phew, good think my spoilers didn't spoil all the fun in reading the Silm for you Smile

Yep I remember you told me that. Only I made the assumption you were from Aussie instead NZ seeing as that's where you live now. But this time I'll remember! (*squee* so cool!)
Oh and about you living next door to Marton Csokas, didn't know he was from NZ either (or is he?) His lastname sounds a bit Czech to me.

VValar
Gondor

Sep 22 2014, 7:31pm

Post #77 of 206 (5590 views)
Shortcut
     You have good taste [In reply to]  

I'm not really into twitter (I have an account but never use it) though I like your background-choice Smile

PS what do you think of this lovely sketch of Legolas?
http://th04.deviantart.net/...sh_pulse-d5wllwb.jpg

(This post was edited by VValar on Sep 22 2014, 7:32pm)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Sep 22 2014, 7:40pm

Post #78 of 206 (5559 views)
Shortcut
     Stand-ins aren't always used for stunts [In reply to]  

Here I thought OB did all of his stunts himself?

As far as I've heard, he does...

Lol, I actually learned the following by watching the extras on the Princess Diaries 2 DVD:

Even movies without stunts have stand-ins who have to look like the real actor. A lot of the times they come to set when the actor is too busy and the movie crew uses them to figure out how they want block the scene, set up lighting and sound appropriately, etc. They dress up like the character, stand where character is supposed to stand, and so forth. Sure, the crew doesn't always need a look-alike for that sort of thing, and they'll just use the other crew members, but sometimes the lighting people especially may want a better picture of how the actual actor will look in the scene, so if the actor is busy in make-up, or learning lines, or on a lunch break, they get the stand-in to do it. They may use them to experiment with the costumes as well since stand-ins will usually be about the same size as the actor.

"Home is behind the world ahead
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade"

VValar
Gondor

Sep 22 2014, 8:20pm

Post #79 of 206 (5509 views)
Shortcut
     I didn't know that, wow1 [In reply to]  

There's a whole lot more going on with making a movie than I had ever imagined!

VValar
Gondor

Sep 22 2014, 8:21pm

Post #80 of 206 (5560 views)
Shortcut
     How bout a little FLAST? [In reply to]  

No good reason Evil

VValar
Gondor

Sep 22 2014, 8:31pm

Post #81 of 206 (5560 views)
Shortcut
     Spamming a few other Thranduil piccies [In reply to]  

Heart

Never gets dull Angelic

With Bubba

LOL

His guards sure look tall too, almost as tall als Thranduiil himself

mariel
Lorien

Sep 22 2014, 8:45pm

Post #82 of 206 (5541 views)
Shortcut
     Spam, spam [In reply to]  

one can never have too much spam!

mariel
Lorien

Sep 22 2014, 8:52pm

Post #83 of 206 (5527 views)
Shortcut
     You learn something every day [In reply to]  

I was guilty of thinking stand ins were just for stunts. Never knew they did all the other stuff. Fascinating seeing how films are made. It's why I love the extras/behind the scenes clips we're treated to with the EEs.

mariel
Lorien

Sep 22 2014, 8:54pm

Post #84 of 206 (5524 views)
Shortcut
     Lovely sketch [In reply to]  

Some people are so talented. There are some lovely pieces of fan art ou there.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Sep 23 2014, 12:43am

Post #85 of 206 (5515 views)
Shortcut
     *squee!* He has such a nice smile! [In reply to]  

That just about needed an HTR alert!Cool He's so cute!Heart

"Home is behind the world ahead
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade"

Kerewyn
Rohan

Sep 23 2014, 2:36am

Post #86 of 206 (5498 views)
Shortcut
     Great thoughts about the FA ME kings. [In reply to]  

I have nothing new to add but really like what you've said, and agree with all.

I feel Thranduil calls himself King because he is inspired by / modelling himself on Thingol, and he governs his realm as a kingdom. Lothlorien, however, can one call it a kingdom? Were there that many Elves even living there?

Find myself being quite moved by: It is not recorded when he sought the Grey Havens and sailed west, but when he did so he took with him the last memory of the Elder Days in Middle-earth.

Evil

"Thou speakest of thralldom. If thralldom it be, thou canst not escape it..."

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 23 2014, 3:20am

Post #87 of 206 (5494 views)
Shortcut
     Ah, happy to have purveyed it to you then [In reply to]  

Smile I like the details and realism. Like you say, practically a photoSmile

Fan of both books and movies; I am a lurker by nature though it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Thranduil Appreciation
Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XIV
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!. (A writing triangle with Avandel and Kerewyn)
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 23 2014, 3:21am

Post #88 of 206 (5506 views)
Shortcut
     Eh... confused now [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Looks like it's LP's Thranduil to me, same nose.

Can you see the nose on the guy standing all that way back there?

Fan of both books and movies; I am a lurker by nature though it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XIV

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!. (A writing triangle with Avandel and Kerewyn)
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 23 2014, 3:24am

Post #89 of 206 (5505 views)
Shortcut
     I was too. Until this... [In reply to]  

Hey, mariel! Glad to see you're joining in the chatterSmile

You might have seen this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZkcYBwEohA
It's that BTS of the orc interrogation scene, featuring lots of HeartThranduil of course but in it a couple of the stand-ins talk about what they do, and disabused me of the notion their work involved stunts only. Though much thanks to Eruvandi for expanding on what they do do.Smile

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 23 2014, 3:27am

Post #90 of 206 (5509 views)
Shortcut
     INteresting question. iirc... Leggy wears a mithril shirt [In reply to]  

It's mentioned somewhere I think. But anyway, since he wasn't at the muster... I guess unless Thranduil brought his wardrobe along as well, Leggy might have to make do with what he's wearing or salvage from the fallen?

In Reply To
I mean look at him, just look......Shocked He simply looks amazing. Can't imagine any other Elf to look as good in armour as HeartThranduilHeart Well Leggy would look very handsome in his Elvenarmour as well, being his father's son after all, but still can't hold a candle toThrandy.

LoL I think your fetish is certified, VValarSmile

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 23 2014, 3:31am

Post #91 of 206 (5516 views)
Shortcut
     Woah... though agreed with VValar [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Seriously she would be the ultimate Dwarf lady (if only she would shrink a little).

provided the movie Dwarves are really representative of dwarven aesthetics since the ladies are supposed to be like the men.

... right... back to topic!

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 23 2014, 3:33am

Post #92 of 206 (5502 views)
Shortcut
     Heh [In reply to]  

Yeah, looked like Thranduil was having the last word on the sass eh? I like it... quite classic oriental humour/comedy in comic-strip form.

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 23 2014, 4:20am

Post #93 of 206 (5522 views)
Shortcut
     FA Kings aka does Thranduil got anything to do with 'em? [In reply to]  

In Reply To
So let me be the first Smile
First of all: out of all the five pictures, don't you think Thranduil is the one who really stands out in appearance? He looks every bit of the King he is. Surely must be the shiney, silvery/golden hair HeartAngelic

Definitely! Thanks for being the firstSmile Whether crowned or crownless, he is the most majestic one of allHeart

In Reply To
Immediately thought of the other Elven leaders, Elrond, Galadriel /Celeborn and eventually Legolas. But I see you've got that covered later in your topic. They don't officially call themselves King/Queen of their Realm, they are the Lords and Lady of their 'Kingdom'. That leads me to this question: why is Thranduil called a King (when the other current Elven leaders do not share this title)?

I think this has something to do with the ME framework and the respective histories of the leaders. It's not all laid out but here's a few articles on Michael Martinez' site that, imo, address part of the question and delve into the idea of titles Evil

In Reply To
Good question! How did you come up with it? I haven't really given it any thought until now. Correct me if I'm wrong but the way I read it, your question involves about the relationship between the different ME leaders, in relation to Thranduil/Eryn Lasgalen?

Ah, thanks! It may be shocking but I have an interest in sociology and international politics (though I've sort of given up on reading newspapers in recent times due to the abject depression and the general never-learn-your-lesson dysfunction that's just getting aggravated over the years)... cos of where I live and how international events always got an impact on this tiny piece of earth I call home, plus the government's unending efforts to "build" international relationships/goodwill. Smile So I applied that interest to FA, but with Thranduil as the focusAngelic Pretty moribund and mundane eh?

But yes to your question.

Nice note on Rohan's proximity! Dale would probably be a respective ally/trade-partner of EL but you're right. I don't think Thranduil and Bard would be particularly close, especially as I believe Thranduil would have killer negotiator savvy and any EL/Dale trade pacts may have Bard frowning a little at the end despite the friendly ties they haveTongue

Gondor... the interesting thing is that practically, I think any relation EL has with Gondor may be through/with the Legolas/Faramir route rather than directly between the two Kings Thranduil and Aragorn. After all, Faramir as the Steward is the one running the day-to-day, and Legolas is the one running things in the Elven settlement there. Probably some officious stuff may require Kingly signatures from time to time, but I also don't see any practical ties between Thranduil and Aragorn. Well, except if Aragorn did indeed pass through Mirkwood in his adventuresome youth and have personal rapport with Thranduil during that journeying, which is entirely possible given their shared long-ago heritage.

In Reply To
Hmm don't think Thranduil would ever visit the Shire. Maybe he would pass through it while on his way to the West? Smile

Yeah. And Aragorn does decree that the Shire be left alone. I'd imagine he'd set the Rangers to ensure that, and unless Elves are going to the Grey Havens, they wouldn't have any reason to be in the Shire, much less do a return visit the other way. So, any interactions would probably be through snail mail only. Well, unless mothmail becomes prevalent or the Eagles diversify and start postal services.Laugh

In Reply To
It is not recorded when he sought the Grey Havens and sailed west, but when he did so he took with him the last memory of the Elder Days in Middle-earth.

&

Isn't it odd that there are no recordings of both Thranduil and Celeborn of ever leaving ME to sail West? Another thing they have in common (the list keeps on growing).

I think this just means Celeborn does ultimately set sail, though it's not known exactly when. The intriguing bit is, if he's the last, does it refer to recent history only, or all through ME history? If the former, which I prefer, then there's still the window for Thranduil sailing on also. If the latter... bummer! BUT we know historical records are never perfectly accurate so I hopeAngelic

In Reply To
So where does this leave Lothlorien, and more specifically the Sindar Elves living in Lorien, without its leaders? I'm guessing most of these Elves either sailed West or sought other Elven establishments. Maybe they went along with Celeborn to live in Rivendell. Or maybe they went on and lived in Eryn Lasgalen.

So if the above is right that Celeborn ultimately does set sail and is the last, that's where I think Thranduil finds his realm's population growing for a while.

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 23 2014, 4:28am

Post #94 of 206 (5485 views)
Shortcut
     Different Elvishness [In reply to]  

In Reply To
I've mentioned before that meeting Thranduil got me far more interested in Elves in general. My LOTR movie impression (and remember I'm a movie-firster) from Elrond, Galadriel, Celeborn and Arwen was that Elves were all good and slightly boring folk who liked to waft around in robes, being all ephemeral and wise and other-worldly, and are far above the more "human" qualities of men, hobbits and dwarves. Then the Silm and the kin-slaying changed all that forever.

Yeah, Thranduil made all the difference to my impression of Elves being comatose ethereal beings who did not really care about ME going to the wargs. Though the Silm did lay out the tragedy of being Elf - to be doomed to live until Arda ends, with no idea of what comes after... I guess the doom of Men may look like a secret sweet deal no one else was privvy to after the drama of living through to the end of SA.Evil

In Reply To
If she hadn't Celeborn, I wonder if she'd still be alive. But it's quite stunning to realise she is one of the few beings who was in Valinor at the start, and is still there in the Third Age.

Yay CelebornSmile

In Reply To
Yes, the Sindar are becoming my preferred race among the Elves. (Quite rad for a Took-loving hobbit-fancier, though my heart will always be there).

Kinda like having a summer home, your home away from home eh?

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 23 2014, 4:41am

Post #95 of 206 (5501 views)
Shortcut
     [book spoilers] and a bit of ramble about Thranduil going after the treasure [In reply to]  

In the book we're just told Thranduil gathers his army and marches out for Erebor after the getting news about Smaug. Frankly, I do not see what the big issue some book readers seem to have with that. It just makes sense, for socio and geo-political reasons to do so. Why should a ruler who makes that decision in that climate brand him as greedy, and get aspersions cast on his character is what I don't get. So I love that line in my avatar, because it balances that abject greedy jerk thing that some seem so eager to mark Thranduil with.

I've basically outlined my thoughts around this in one of my responses in the last CHOW but I'll paste it here in case you've missed it.

*slaps alert on*
[potential discussion sensitivity warning starts, nothing else after this bit]

We get plenty of examples here on Earth about the realities of that: the lovely Spratlys, that perennial example of contentious claims for want of a less sensitive representation of a most sensitive topic, is the obvious tip of that iceberg. Even the two most recent territorial/military incursions/events are based on that to a certain extent.

At least in this particular event in ME, among the Free Peoples, things are a lot more civilised - Thranduil's going in only after hearing the news. Yes, I know, it's probably something he's been hoping for a while with regards to Smaug leaving the building, but for the Dwarves, he did express regret and a smidgeon of solidarity at their presumed demise. He's not the total jerk the world at large seem to want paint him as just cos. And as a long-lived ruler, I see his decision to go grab treasure as sound decision-making on his part to ensure that wealth and by extension power did not fall into the grabby paws of orcs or worse.
What better way than to have it come to his people? Of course we know ultimately, after learning the realities of the situation, he stepped aside and renounced all claims - which has to be informed in part by relations between Mirkwood and Laketown. But as you point out, I think the neglect of this will hurt the Laketown story-arc because the audience won't get or buy why Thranduil so readily step aside, after the impression they've gotten of him thus far.
[Tangent:
Hmm... it may look so, but really, I am not a Thranduil apologist, even though I am his ThrallAngelic I feel it's not just pure altruism on his part (though I don't question his altruism per se) to just step aside for Bard's claim, simply because with his savvy, he's not going to just lend support to someone or his claim if he doesn't have some knowledge of that someone. Thranduil wasn't born yesterday: if he had any suspicion that Bard's claim may be detrimental to Mirkwood in anyway he would have challenged Laketown's claim. In that sense, the story would have benefitted so much more even from a little insight on Mirkwood-Laketown beyond that little spiel by Bard on how the Master depends on Mirkwood for all the trade and wouldn't dare cross Thranduil in any way. Just a few frames of that Laketown pub-crawl of Elves and Men would have helped heaps already.]

Anyway, I don't see how Thranduil's actions with regards to the treasure and his support of Bard's claim could be attributed to a treasure-crazed caricature. I think his conduct speaks so much better of his character and history as a ruler than many may deem. Definitely it's much more than can be said for Earthy real-life examples.
All right, I'll stop here even though I don't see any signal source problems, but as I have no influence on receivers, best to leave it now as I don't want to spend the weekend dealing with views formed of insistently garbled reception. That's not to say I can't deal with opposing views, at least I hope I have conducted myself competently in that regard. I just don't have interest in conversing with or through insistent misunderstandings.Smile
[potential discussion sensitivity warning ends]

Nothing else to see.

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 23 2014, 4:44am

Post #96 of 206 (5502 views)
Shortcut
     Anyone found his name yet? [In reply to]  

In Reply To
P.S. I guess this also means that background, horn-blowing-elf-guy lives through the skirmish, but I still say he'll be an elven red-shirt for Botfa! Poor horn-blowing-elf-guy...Unsure

He's not Elros the key-keeper right? I'd wager he might be that messenger who gets shot at by Thorin after telling him to eat the gold in Erebor for lunch
... cheering for him if that's the case Tongue

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 23 2014, 4:45am

Post #97 of 206 (5513 views)
Shortcut
     Heheh... you did clicked it! [In reply to]  

Wondered if anyone would. Meself, I vote for option 3 pleaseSmile

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 23 2014, 4:49am

Post #98 of 206 (5490 views)
Shortcut
     Nice one! [In reply to]  

And how true! Let's add that to the lexiconSmile

In Reply To
Will the sneaky hugging never end?!Tongue

i hope not. Makes for some nice BEEFAngelic

In Reply To
On a separate note, I notice that he's always taller than the people he's hugging. *swoon*Angelic

Heh... I have a feeling it's a pretty tough order to be taller than LP since he is so tall!

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 23 2014, 4:50am

Post #99 of 206 (5476 views)
Shortcut
     Yay Kerewyn! Will be looking out for your capsule! [In reply to]  

ThanksSmile

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 23 2014, 4:51am

Post #100 of 206 (5494 views)
Shortcut
     Just put your thoughts in [In reply to]  

That's the fun. A mental snapshot of your thoughts right nowSmile Whether you've read the book, want nothing to do with it or can't remember crap about it.

=======

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.