Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Bilbo’s Birthday Bash: BotFA Time Capsule - Capsules will be sealed after 29 September
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 22 2014, 10:09am

Post #1 of 26 (2489 views)
Shortcut
     Bilbo’s Birthday Bash: BotFA Time Capsule - Capsules will be sealed after 29 September  

(Please read this entire post before responding. Thank you.)

Sep 22, Bilbo's birthday. In honour of THE Hobbit whose adventure and experiences were so pivotal in the course of both TH and LotR, let's do a time capsule of our thoughts and expectations of BotFA, the last part of Bilbo's big adventure. I know, I know, we've had discussions about all that. But it's been all over the place, inspired by the focus of the thread being read or the current hot topic. Let's do a snapshot of our respective thoughts and opinions about BotFA, collated - as they are right now, in our heads (which imo, is a great time, just before we're all completely messed up by the spoilers the PR machine is already starting to unleash).

The key thing, and the FUN, is no analysing or commenting on anyone's time capsule right now. Rather, the fun will be coming back to look at what's in our minds at this point in time, but AFTER BotFA comes out and discuss/review how close, or far, our thoughts and opinions have changed.

As TORn is a free-posting board, with minimum edit rights for users, some house rules are needed to minimise chaos, with minimum hassle to the Mods. Hopefully, this is how the thread looks when we get going.

Ready? Here's the how-to

How to add your time capsule post
From today, Sep 22, until Sep 29, anyone can post your time capsule. I will request the mods to lock the thread by Sep 30, thereby creating our capsule. Time capsule posters should click the "Reply to this Post" on this post only, ie the OP post.

Suggested post format is as follows. Once again, bear with me - this is not to be regimental but to have a semblance of theme for ease of reference and comparison when we "unearth" this capsule thread.

Post subject
This is also to help remind those who aren't putting up their capsules but want to add their $0.02 where to put that $0.02
Username's Time Capsule (Please do not reply to this post)

Post sections
Read LotR? Y/N
Read TH? Y/N
Seen the LotR trilogy?? Y/N
Seen AUJ? Y/N
Seen DoS? Y/N
What I want to see in BotFA
What I expect will actually be in BotFA
How I feel about Bilbo's story so far and my thoughts about what will happen to him in BotFA
More of my thoughts on BotFA

How to comment or opiniate on this thread?
Unless you're adding your capsule, please post everything else, that is, all your questions and comments as a response to the next post titled "Questions, Comments & Discussions". That is, you should click the "Reply to this Post" on the next post to give your $0.02. This way, we keep the capsules intact and uncluttered until we come back to unearth themSmile

Simple, right? What say you? Game on?

Fan of both books and movies; I am a lurker by nature though it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Thranduil Appreciation
Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XIV
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!. (A writing triangle with Avandel and Kerewyn)
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Sep 26 2014, 8:13am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 22 2014, 10:10am

Post #2 of 26 (1964 views)
Shortcut
     Questions, Comments & Discussions [In reply to]  

Please post your questions and comments as a response to this post only, by clicking the "Reply to this Post" for this post. Thank you.

Fan of both books and movies; I am a lurker by nature though it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XIV

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!. (A writing triangle with Avandel and Kerewyn)
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 22 2014, 10:50am

Post #3 of 26 (1971 views)
Shortcut
     Lurker in the Mirk's Time Capsule (Please do not reply to this post) [In reply to]  

Read LotR? Y

Read TH? Y

Seen the LotR trilogy? Y

Seen AUJ? Y

Seen DoS? Y

I want to see more HeartThranduil, of course Angelic

And I want to see proper closure and conclusions on the plotlines PJ and his team have started or ran with since AUJ. I definitely wanna see EPIC!BATTLE and on this count, I don't think I will be disappointed. I would also like to see some of the book scenes, hopefully brilliantly executed
  • Bard's hero moment taking Smaug down
  • The process of Thranduil making the decision to go get a share of the treasure, and the mobilisation of the Elven army
  • That messenger from the combined host telling Thorin he can go eat the treasure if he won't have peace, and Thorin's firing of that shot at the messenger
  • Bilbo's meeting with Thranduil and Bard
  • Thranduil being the pacifist and counselling Bard to patience rather than attack, and delivering the line: "Long will I tarry, ere I begin this war for gold."
  • Bilbo's ousting by Thorin after his meeting with Thranduil and Bard, and the other Dwarves' reactions to the whole shenanigans.
  • Bard delivering the ultimatum to Thorin
  • The moment the respective quarrels among the Free Peoples get put aside in the face of the goblin/warg army
  • Thorin's hero moment when he joins the fray
  • Bilbo choosing to fight by Thranduil's side
  • Thranduil laying Orcrist on Thorin's tomb
  • Thranduil naming Bilbo Elf-friend and their exchange
  • Part of the shared homebound journey of Elf, Hobbit and Wizard

Going by RotK, some parts will sag, and some will seem to go by too fast. That's to be expected. I hope the key characters, particularly the ones I care about will not have screentime curtailed for other pet developments - the Legolas/Bolg tussle, that nope-it's-not-love-triangle, too much mawk in the Smaug aftermath, too much DG.

The Battle will be epic, but will not feel long-drawn-out. RotK was epic in its own way, but I hope the tone and pacing for BotFA will be handled in a manner that does not give a sense of ending before it really ends - gets tedious after it happens multiple times.

How I feel about Bilbo's story so far and my thoughts about what will happen to him in BotFA
As with the book, I think he hasn't got all the lines or really dominated but he's Hobbit so that's not unsurprising. I do like the hint that he will be conscious for more of the Battle than in the book, which I believe was the prof's way of giving his children some epic excitement without the nightmares. I am looking forward to Bilbo's moment when he meets Thranduil and Bard, and also how he handles the resulting confrontation with Thorin. I am particularly interested in how he gets to the combined host after being driven away.

I'm also expecting Bilbo to have his hero moment in-Battle. And I want to see some of that friendship he develops with Gandalf. And yes, I really really want to see him properly interacting with Thranduil, especially on the homeward bound journey.

Really what I worry will happen:
  • Too much focus on Bard's hero moments
  • Too much focus on that weird and vague Ménage à trois thing
  • Making the DG throwdown too big a piece in the story
  • Having to wait on the EE to get the bits that should have been left in the TE but were cut out in favour of pet developments
  • etc etc

Ultimately, we won't know until we see the movie, but I'm carefully hopeful things will work out, except for the bit about having to look to the EE, because that's been the case through LotR. AUJ wasn't so bad - I did not have vibes where the extensions were KEY-STUFF-THAT-GOT-TOTALLY-LEFT OUT, and we've not seen the Dos EE. I hope to be wrong but DoS TE definitely had me impatient for the EE, and not just for the hope of more Thranduil.

=======

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 22 2014, 4:37pm

Post #4 of 26 (1919 views)
Shortcut
     BlackFox's Time Capsule (Please do not reply to this post) [In reply to]  

Read LotR? Yes
Read TH? Yes
Seen the LotR trilogy? Yes
Seen AUJ? Yes
Seen DoS? Yes

I want to see a worthy culmination and conclusion to the trilogy. I want to see the attention to detail we've been spoiled with in the previous films and magnificent landscape shots. I want to be made cling to my seat, gasp in awe, perhaps have a laugh or two, and I want to be made shed a tear without feeling ashamed or guilty for doing so.

Lots of action, lots of drama, lots of tension, lots of emotions. There will be moments (likely involving OTT action) when I might frown or roll my eyes for a second or two, but I trust I'll be watching the majority of the film with my mouth slightly open (as with DOS).

Well, Bilbo's my favourite character, so I'd love to have seen even more of him in the previous two films, and the more we'll get to see him in BOFA, the better. However, I think the filmmakers have done a good job bringing Bilbo's story to the screen so far and I expect it to come to an equally satisfying conclusion (The Tookish part was getting very tired, and the Baggins was daily getting stronger. - TH, The Return Journey).

Whatever happens, I'm sure it'll be a movie to remember.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 22 2014, 4:40pm

Post #5 of 26 (1890 views)
Shortcut
     Done! [In reply to]  

Great idea, btw. Smile

LordotRings93
Rohan

Sep 22 2014, 6:17pm

Post #6 of 26 (1886 views)
Shortcut
     LordotRings93's Time Capsule (Please Do Not Reply To This Post) [In reply to]  

Read LotR? Y
Read TH? Y
Seen the LotR trilogy? Y
Seen AUJ? Y
Seen DoS? Y

I want to see a (no doubt) satisfying conclusion to this amazing trilogy, and a brilliant last hoorah in Middle-earth on film. I hope to see some more Tauriel moments, either fighting or just quiet scenes, and hope to see a very long Battle of Five Armies. Also, I hope Bilbo gets in on a few fights (which is most likely as has been hinted at), and hope he actually does face off against Bolg as the trailer suggests (although not kill him, of course). I hope for some tear-jerking moments, and also that Tauriel will survive the outcome. I also hope for an exciting Dol Guldur battle, and hope we get to see the Nazgul.

Mainly everything that is left to tell in the book, of course, and no doubt an epic battle that could surpass Minas Tirith/Pelennor Fields. Thorin's final scene will no doubt be a heartstring tugger.

I feel Bilbo's story has been told amazingly so far. Everything he did in the book is portrayed on the screen, and then some, like saving Thorin in the AUJ climax. With BOTFA, Bilbo will play his biggest role thus far, with taking the Arkenstone to Bard as a negotiating tool, and also no doubt fighting in the Battle of Five Armies. To have him knocked unconscious would be a cop-out for the poor hobbit in the film trilogy, and he should take down a few orcs during the battle itself.

None left to really share, only that I'm really looking forward to it, but also dreading it because then it's all over. No more rumors and discussions on Hobbit film news and trailer anticipation.... Here's hoping this isn't the true end of Middle-earth on the big screen.

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Noria
Gondor

Sep 22 2014, 7:48pm

Post #7 of 26 (1881 views)
Shortcut
     Noria's overlong as usual Time Capsule (Please do not reply to this post) [In reply to]  

Great idea Lurker, and thanks.

Read LotR? Y
Read TH? Y
Seen the LotR trilogy?? Y
Seen AUJ? Y
Seen DoS? Y

--Generally, I want to see the stories that have been set up in AUJ and DoS brought to a satisfying conclusion:

1) Bilbo’s ongoing transformation from timid homebody to altruistic hero, his moral dilemma over the Arkenstone and his relationship with the Ring.

2) The Return of the King I (Thorin), Thorin’s fall and redemption and the reactions of the other Dwarves.

3) The dragon slaying and the Return of the King II (Bard), and more of his family.

4) Thranduil seeing the error of his ways - I’d like to hear him say “Long will I tarry ere I begin this war for gold.” and be able to believe him, which I wouldn't at present.

5) The resolution of the Legolas/Tauriel/Kili thing (whatever it is).

6) The “battle” of Dol Guldur: something different and spooky, something more than swords; I hope this will be a significant part of the movie.

7) A tense Siege of Erebor and epic Battle of Five Armies.

--I’m still hoping that Bilbo steals the Arkenstone because he desires it, much though he rationalizes the theft in the book. I like that little character flaw in my favourite character.

--I really hope that the Arkenstone does not have any “powers” but is just a symbol of leadership.

--If canon is going to be followed and Dain becomes King Under the Mountain, I hope that he is introduced early well enough that we will be interested in and care about him. Otherwise, his ascension might seem like usurpation, you know, some random guy sweeping in and scooping up the throne of Erebor after Thorin and his heirs fall. The film makers successfully introduced Bard, Thranduil and Tauriel (for many of us) in DoS so there is no reason they can’t do it with Dain.

--Actually, all of the above: Bilbo’s continued growth and his quandaries over the Arkenstone and the Ring, Thorin’s descent and fate and reconciliation with Bilbo, a sea change in Thranduil and reconciliation with his son and possibly Tauriel, more Legolas and Tauriel, Bard’s heroics and him becoming a king.

--Generally, I do expect TBOTFA to stick somewhat closer to the plot of the book than DoS, with the obvious exceptions of Legolas and Tauriel, as well as Azog, who none-the-less all still have significant roles to play. Most of the other players seem to be in places that will take them where the book goes. However, as usual some of what are the best moments to a book fan will probably be shifted to the EE to make a fast and taut thriller of the TE, so we won’t see them until late 2015.

--I expect a huge and epic battle scene with lots over-the-top stuff, especially for Bard, Thorin and the three Elves. Probably I will think it’s too long and overdone the first time I see it and then will come to love it as I recognize the care and expertise that went into it. And I expect to cry buckets as tragedy unfolds.

--I do expect and fear that in the movie Bilbo will keep the Arkenstone back for altruistic reasons in hopes of saving Thorin from himself, which is less satisfying to me. If Bilbo doesn’t have the Arkenstone already, why was he acting so oddly when Thorin asked him about it?

I wouldn’t be surprised if Tauriel dies and maybe Radagast, though I hope that he just disappears in the forest, never to be seen again.

How I feel about Bilbo's story so far and my thoughts about what will happen to him in BotFA :

--IMO, Bilbo’s story is being told pretty faithfully as the “grocer” becomes an adventurer and a hero. His first moment of courage comes as he saves Thorin’s life in the Out of the Fire sequence rather than in Mirkwood with the spiders but though some of the stops along the way have been shifted, the journey is still essentially the same one for Bilbo. Of course this Bilbo is somewhat less of a buffoon from the beginning and seems more aware than the book character.

--For me the main change to Bilbo’s story is his relationship with the Ring which, since Tolkien hadn’t conceived of the One Ring when he first wrote The Hobbit, is only touched upon in the book. I like how it has been developed so far, with Bilbo slowly coming to a realization that his ring is having a strange and uncomfortable effect on him. But by the end of TBOTFA, he has to be in a place in which he is comfortable or at least reconciled to keeping and using the Ring.

--The main thing facing Bilbo next is surely the aftermath of Smaug’s attack on Laketown and the Siege of Erebor, in which he finds himself in a great moral dilemma and with divided loyalties. I don’t know if Thorin will hold him over the battlements and threaten to throw him to the ground but there will likely be a lot of angst and carrying on and probably some physical danger for Bilbo. I look forward to seeing what his role in the actual battle will be.

--Like all PJ’s other ME movies, I expect to love this one albeit with some complaints and quibbles. If I only like TBOTFA as much as do AUJ and DoS, I will be very happy.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 23 2014, 3:17am

Post #8 of 26 (1812 views)
Shortcut
     Cool! Thanks for participating [In reply to]  

Wondered if it might take off. Now that we've got participants, I'm hoping it will stay on page 1 until the week's up.Evil Well, crossed fingers!

=======

VValar
Gondor

Sep 23 2014, 12:56pm

Post #9 of 26 (1824 views)
Shortcut
     VValar's Time Capsule (Please do not reply to this post) [In reply to]  

Read LotR? Y
Read TH? N
Seen the LotR trilogy? Y
Seen AUJ? Y
Seen DoS? Y

I'll let my inner fangirl out for just a sec and squee that I definitely want to see more Thranduil AngelicHeart (and Legolas). In armour, fighting... phew.
What I want to see beside that is a wonderful, emotional and spectaculair closing of TB trilogy. I want to be wowed when I leave the theatre after seeing BoFA. I'd like to know the individual conclusions to everyone's journey and how they will ultimately be linked to one another. Also I'm curious to see how this concluding piece will become the setup for the FoTR, because I'm not yet sure how they're going to do that. When I watched the RotK I cried (like 3 times) so I would really like to experience more emotional attachement to certain characters to be able to relate and feel their struggle. Cause IMO that's what a good movie should do, take you along for the ride and be absolutely mesmerizing and captivating in order to make you forget all about the world around you and get lost into the wonderful world of Middle Earth for one last time. Oh and since I have looked at your avatar for quite some time now Lurker, I would really like to hear Thranduil say : “Long will I tarry ere I begin this war for gold.” I will be dancing off my seat if that is actually in the movie.

All of the above and hopefully more. I expect there will be at least one awkward T/K/L moment (which the story can do without thank you), epic battle scenes (hopefully with lots of closeups of our fav. characters), emotional endings, beautiful scenery etc etc. Pretty much I expect this movie to top the previous two because it's the grand finale of the trilogy as well as our last goodbye to cinematic Middle Earth (Unsure)

I absolutely love Bilbo and watching TH made me understand the Bilbo we see in LoTR a whole lot better. I like the change in character development he endures during the story, from being a carefree, happy Hobbit to a burdened ringbearer who remains ever loyal to his degenerative friend.

That's about it. Only I can't wait for the actual trailer to come out in Oct, as well as more marketing material.

(This post was edited by VValar on Sep 23 2014, 12:58pm)

Kim
Valinor

Sep 24 2014, 2:33am

Post #10 of 26 (1810 views)
Shortcut
     Kim's Time Capsule (Please do not reply to this post) [In reply to]  

Read LotR? Yes
Read TH? Yes
Seen AUJ? Yes
Seen DoS? Yes

More Thorin of course. More interaction between the dwarves and Bilbo. Continue with the enriched characterization we've seen so far. Generally follow the story in the book, with some surprises along the way. Hoping for at least one more song.

Epic battle scenes. Fantastic creatures. Generally follow the story in the book, with some surprises along the way. Heart wrenching sorrow at the end.

I really love all that we've seen so far and think he will have a bigger part to play in the battle than he did in the book. I really hope that after *the scene*, he will be the heart we can follow through to the end of the movie, when he goes home.

Tissues are on order.

Join us every weekend for The Hobbit Chapter of the Week discussions!

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 24 2014, 5:45am

Post #11 of 26 (1797 views)
Shortcut
     cats16's Time Capsule (Please do not reply to this post) [In reply to]  

Read LotR? Y
Read TH? Y
Seen the LotR trilogy? Y
Seen AUJ? Y
Seen DoS? Y

What I want to see in BotFA:

A roaring, magnificent and bittersweet finale for PJ's farewell to Tolkien. I want to feel that great awe one last time of seeing these stories each December. Specifically, I want to see all of the story threads come together in The Gathering of the Clouds. The dragon's attack on Lake-town will likely be OTT; however, I wish to see those great moments of character shine through in the end. The same goes for the Battle itself. I want the prelude of war to be just as emotionally enthralling as the fighting itself: Thorin's madness shall come to its malignant climax; Elves, Men and Dwarves shall come to the brink of a war of greed; and, sure enough, Gandalf shall appear in his brilliant glory. I want the ending to be fulfilling and resolving of all tension in the storylines, and comfortably send me forward in the story to LOTR.

What I expect will actually be in BotFA:

That being said, I think the film will have plenty of action and drama to accompany the above wishes. PJ will not hold back on the battle itself. Tauriel and Legolas will be present here, for sure. I am very curious to see how PJ is able to juggle the vast amount of characters whom the audience must follow. My only hope is that its choreography--on a macro level, not just with characters--will feel both natural and deserving in comparison to everything in the films leading up to it. If there is cross-cutting between the battle and some other action, I hope it will all be integrated fluidly without any issues of space and geography.

How I feel about Bilbo's story so far and my thoughts about what will happen to him in BotFA:

I think that Bilbo's story has been, and is, just as present as in the book. It's much different when there isn't a narrator with us along the way, interjecting their thoughts and observations. While I would have loved to see less of Bolg/Azog and more Bilbo, or he and the dwarves, what's done is done, and I hope to see his journey conclude perfectly in the last film. I think he will be knocked out during the battle, as in the book. However, I also think that he will be revived somehow, and serve an integral part near the film's climactic moment(s). We will really be able to see the growth in his character in this film. There will be greater meaning for us in the line, "I'm not the same hobbit I once was."

More of my thoughts on BotFA:

Here's hoping for an amazing experience that will never seem to end. But, when it finally does end, and when the credits start to roll, I know that those tears will be years in the making. Since first seeing TTT (I saw it before FOTR!), I became enraptured with Tolkien's world. Seeing it all come to a fitting conclusion on the screen will be a very bittersweet icing on the cake. Thankfully, for us here, we've been privileged with a very large cake over the last decade and a half. I can't wait to take the last bite.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

(This post was edited by cats16 on Sep 24 2014, 5:45am)

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 24 2014, 5:46am

Post #12 of 26 (1781 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks, Lurker. [In reply to]  

Great idea here. Can't wait to open it in a couple of months. Smile

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 24 2014, 10:42am

Post #13 of 26 (1768 views)
Shortcut
     Yay, cats16! Glad you could join in [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Can't wait to open it in a couple of months. Smile

Me too!

=======

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 24 2014, 1:37pm

Post #14 of 26 (1783 views)
Shortcut
     DanielLB's Time Capsule (Please do not reply to this post) [In reply to]  

Read LotR? Yes
Read TH? Yes
Seen AUJ? Yes
Seen DoS? Yes

Ideally, something quite close to the last chapters of the book, mixed with the atmosphere and cinematography of The Return of the King. The movie should be filled with lots and lots of character moments (Bilbo & Thorin, Thranduil & Bard, Gandalf & Galadriel etc.) since this is the culmination of the trilogy. Plus lots of emotion. Every single audience member should be in tears when Thorin dies. I'm really excited to see the Battle of Dol Guldur too. I always liked the idea that the climax of the Battle of Dol Guldur would be equivalent to Luthien's destruction of Tol-in-Gaurhoth (i.e. Galadriel singing/chanting, and using Nenya to heal the forest). I want the Azog-Bolg story line to make some sense as well, and at least the story to benefit from Azog's inclusion. Is it too late for the Talking Purse to be included?

There will probably lots of (forced) action and tension. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The only time I haven't liked the added action is during Barrels out of Bond. The pre-fighting in Dale before the Battle kicks off is an example of this. It will be interesting to see how this turns out. I wouldn't be surprised if the Battle of Dol Guldur is shorter and less dramatic than we expect. There will also be lots of CGI, but very well applied CGI. I'll be in awe of the movie, regardless.

This is the apex of Bilbo's journey and story line. It is his time to shine. I'm sure we will see a lot of bravery from the Hobbit. It will be nice to see Ian Holm again as well.

Some people might call it fan-boyish, or narrow-minded, but regardless of what the movie is like I will love it! I'll come out of the cinema declaring it the best movie of the hexalogy, just as I have done for the previous five movies. I also expect the extended edition to further improve on the movie. I'll be surprised if it wins any major awards, and I'm sure box office results will be a hot topic, but that's not important to me.

Most favourite scene: Difficult to say without seeing the movie, and with just one trailer. It will be between the climax of each of three major strands of the movie: the destruction of Lake-town, the Battle of Dol Guldur, or Thorin's death.

Least favourite scene: Probably something with Azog or Bolg. Especially if they pointlessly swap roles again, as they did in The Desolation of Smaug.

Most emotional scene: Probably when Bilbo returns to the Shire and the credits roll. I'm not ready to leave Peter Jackson's Middle-earth quite yet!

Best surprise: Tauriel and Radagast. I'm excited to see what happens to these characters.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Sep 24 2014, 5:20pm

Post #15 of 26 (1779 views)
Shortcut
     Riven Delve's Time Capsule (please do not reply to this post) [In reply to]  

Read LotR? Y
Read TH?
Y
Seen the LotR trilogy?
Y
Seen AUJ?
Y
Seen DoS?
Y

Wow, do I have a list! However, I'll keep to the major points. Wink Lots of Bilbo! Lots of Bilbo trying to make sense of and navigate through the conflicts of the story, all while using his plain Hobbit sense. I want to see most of BotFA through his eyes, if possible. I REALLY want to see him return home to Bag End, and if we get the auction, I will be most happy.

And we must have lots of Thorin, of course! Lots of Thorin in a slow spiral into madness. I want tense interactions with him and Bilbo. I want Thorin interacting with the other Dwarves, especially Fili, Kili, and Balin, as he spirals downward, and to see their reactions to the spiral also. I want some respect from the Elves in the end--perhaps Legolas or Thranduil could return Orcrist at his death. I want a really, really heart-rending death scene and repentance and reconciliation. And lots of #majesticness, all the while.

I actually kind of want Fili to live to be king...but I will be content with a book ending too. I want Fili (if he dies) and Kili's deaths to be powerful and impactful, in a close connection with Thorin's. I don't want Tauriel to be involved with Kili's death in any way--I'd prefer their tragedy to be from a distance from one another. (Assuming Tauriel dies--I don't have a preference whether she lives or dies.) If Fili is going to live, I want some more hero moments for him first!

I want to see a fair bit of the standoff/siege before we dive into the BotFA.

I want to see Galadriel kick some Bad Guy butt in Dol Guldur, though not necessarily with swords.

I want to see Thranduil kicking some butt too, but I really want to see him interact with Bilbo, as in the book. I'd love it if Bilbo gets to be the one to give him the white gems he's so fond of. I want Thranduil to have something like a change of heart re: the outside world.

I want to see Beorn kicking Bad Guy butt too. (Did I miss anyone else's butt-kicking I want to see?) Oh yes--I want Bard to kill the dragon with his bow, not the windlance. Bard the Bowman, you know.

And if any Dwarf hasn't gotten a hero moment so far, I want it to come in this movie.

I want an emotionally satisfying way to say good-bye to Middle-earth.

I expect there will be tons of action and OTT stuff, like war boars Wink, along with the requisite Orc decapitations. Tongue I think PJ & co. will deliver on Thorin's death scene, but I'm nervous about Kili's, because of the Tauriel factor.

I'm also a little worried about the Gandalf-Galadriel relationship. Please, do not let it go beyond dear friendship. Unsure (Poor Celeborn has already gotten short shrift.)

I expect we're going to see a fair bit of Spectacle--grand battle shots, fabulous armor, vast treasure halls, Elven army maneuvers, Legolas being a stuntman, etc.

I am happy with Bilbo's story so far, but I'd like to see BotFA through his eyes as much as possible--so I guess that means he can't be passed out through it all. Wink I really want to feel with him how he has changed as a result of the things he's experienced on this adventure, and the people he's had relationships with. I want the Arkenstone incident to be very hard for him, a real moral dilemma.

I am going to hate saying good-bye, not just to Thorin and the boys, but to Middle-earth. Make this movie one I can watch over and over and over again, PJ--you've done well so far! Cool

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

ajgetway
The Shire

Sep 26 2014, 7:50pm

Post #16 of 26 (1724 views)
Shortcut
     Amanda Getway's Time Capsule (Please do not respond to this post) [In reply to]  

I have read LotR, and Hobbit.
I have seen LotR trilogy
I have seen both AUJ and DOS
What I want to see in BotFA: I know it won't happen; but I would love it if Thorin, Fili, and Kili lived, because I think there is a great story about them ruling Erebor (actually, they exist in fanfiction). And Thorin could be a good ruler; once he stops being an idiot. Sadly, will not see that Frown In the realm of actual possibility; I'd like to see how all five armies come together, what happens in Laketown since they split the dwarves up: what do Oin, Bofur, Kili, and Fili do? How do they meet back up with their Company? Fili and Kili's reaction to their uncle's madness (I'm missing the family dynamic: again, that is what fanfiction is for) I'd also like to see Bilbo's journey back to the Shire.
What I expect to see in BotFA: Since the trailer is utterly gut-wrenching using Pippin's song (beautiful, yes. Poignant, yes. Makes me want to cry? Yes!) I expect the movie to have lots of death and heart-ache. There's going to be a battle (duh!) We'll see more of what happens at Dol Goldur.
How do I feel about Bilbo's story so far and my thoughts on what will happen to him in BotFA: They've given Bilbo more of a hero's story, which is good in my opinion. Fleshes out the character. He's probably going to be more assertive in this movie. I think it will also change him. The end of the battle is going to be hard. There's probably going to be some close calls with him; drama and all that.
More thoughts on BotFA: I'm sure it's been stated here before; but I don't like that Peter Jackson changed the title. The subtitle of the Hobbit is "There and Back Again." I know that there is an epic battle to take place; but I don't think that's to be the focus. But I'm getting excited anyway! And a bit sad, since this is most likely going to be the last chapter Frown

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Sep 26 2014, 8:00pm

Post #17 of 26 (1741 views)
Shortcut
     Eruvandi’s Time Capsule (Please do not reply to this post) [In reply to]  

Read LOTR? Y

Read TH? Y

Seen the LOTR trilogy? Y

Seen AUJ? Y

Seen DOS? Y

For some more specific things, I want to see the stuff I already outlined in these two posts:

post1 post 2

Other things I really want to see are lots of Thranduil, Bard taking Smaug down, Galadriel going nuclear, Elrond fighting, Bilbo interacting with Thranduil when he hands over the Arkenstone, all the stuff with the dwarves, the so-called “love triangle” not actually being a love triangle, Tauriel not dying, Thorin saying his famous line to Bilbo after the battle, Thranduil putting Orcrist on Thorin’s grave, and at least some of Bilbo’s journey back to Bag End and him putting a stop to the estate sale.

I expect that the first several things I listed^ will actually be in BotFA, but things like the love triangle and Tauriel’s fate are nearly impossible to predict. I am a little worried that the sale of Bag End won’t end up in the TE due to time constraints even though I know they filmed it.

No matter what, it’s all going to be very emotional and poignant and I’m going to cry.

I absolutely love Bilbo’s story so far and I have enjoyed and been inspired by his growth as a person. Having read all the books and seen all the movies thus far, I know Bilbo will survive BotFA. The only thing that is in question for me is whether or not he’ll get knocked out at the beginning of the battle like in the book. At this point, I’m going to say he’ll stay conscious through the whole thing, or at least until near the end.

Movie places around the world need to go into all of their theaters where they’ll be playing BotFA and just attach tissue boxes to the backs of all the seats and put trash cans under the seats because if all of us fans are going to cry during the movie, they might as well accommodate us. Also...I can't believe this could be the last ME movie! *sobs*

"Home is behind the world ahead
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade"

(This post was edited by Eruvandi on Sep 26 2014, 8:04pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 26 2014, 9:58pm

Post #18 of 26 (1731 views)
Shortcut
     Time capsule from a dormouse - PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS POST [In reply to]  

Yes - read 'em and seen 'em (in that order)

Well, working on the assumption that what I wanted to see - one of the things I wanted to see very much - in DoS was the elf fires in the forest, and yet when I did see the film I didn't miss them because I liked what they gave us instead - I don't set much store by my own 'wants' from the film. I look forward to a dramatic encounter between Smaug and Laketown but I don't think there's any doubt we'll get that. I hope somewhere in all the drama there will be the intimate moments - the book's, or something like them. So, Bilbo revealing the Arkenstone and the Elven King's reaction - Balin's sympathy for Bilbo - the Elvenking moved by the plight of the Laketown survivors. In fact, the more I think about it, a lot of my hopes centre on how they play out the role of the Elvenking. He was my first Tolkien elf and even when he imprisoned the dwarves I loved him. Film Thranduil is darker and more menacing (but still VERY beautiful) and I'm hoping they will allow him to develop the nobler side Tolkien gave him.
What else - the battle, of course, and the various turns of fortune within it. And although I really don't want to see Fili and Kili go down as written, my head knows that has to be for the story to have its full impact. And then the funeral - I hope they do something like the Alan Lee illustration. Then Bilbo returning to Hobbiton - the sale. Maybe Gandalf and Balin's visit.

The other thing I'd really like is to be (pleasantly) surprised by the things I'm not expecting

What I expect will actually be in BOtFA: drama and spectacle. Lots of. I'm betting Richard Armitage's performance is going to be extraordinary.

How I feel about Bilbo's story so far and thoughts about what will happen to him. Well, so far I've been really impressed by Martin Freeman's portrayal of Bilbo and by the way they have managed to keep Bilbo so much to the fore in an expanded storyline. And in the next part more than ever, I think he will be in the forefront both as witness and protagonist

More thoughts - it's been wonderful and I'm only sorry that this is where it ends - but at least the marathon 'viewing the Middle Earth films' will last a satisfyingly long time in future!

Holly Hobbit
Bree

Sep 27 2014, 5:46am

Post #19 of 26 (1714 views)
Shortcut
     Holly Hobbit's Time Capsule (Please Do Not Reply To This Post!) [In reply to]  

Read LOTR -Y
Read TH - Y
Seen AUJ - Y
Seen DOS - Y

*What I want to see in BOFA*

I wish we could see Roac somehow... Definitely would love to see some ravens (even though they probably wouldn't talk). And it would be cool to see a nod to Dis, even though this is not a guarantee. Also, I want the deathbed speech to be left intact with no changes at all because Tolkien's words in the book are just perfect. I would like to see an inclusion of Fili and Kili finding the golden harps in a Erebor and playing them, as this is one of my favorite "calm" moments from the book. I want a scene that does justice to Fili and Kili as brothers at the end... They should definitely go down together. I want the Battle of Dol Guldur to be action-packed and to see Galadriel fighting Sauron. I want Bilbo singing The Road Goes Ever On, I want the auction scene with Lobelia stealing the spoons, I want an ending that bridges the Hobbit to LOTR, and I would really like to see the same artwork style in the credits of BOFA that was in ROTK. I also want an end credits song that is as spectacular as the previous five have been.

*What I expect will actually be in BOFA*

Epicness. I think we will see Thorin's descent into madness reach a point where it scares the other dwarves. I think Thorin and Kili might have a disagreement about going to war with the Humans and Elves. I think we may have a scene in the midst of battle where Bilbo realizes the horrors of war (a slow-mo moment for a few seconds where he stares in horror at the carnage around him). I think we will get a final scene with Thorin and Fili and Kili fighting that is as emotion-filled as PJ can make it, and a better sense of Beorn 's rage against Orcs when he finally appears in battle as a bear. I think we will get a tear-inducing deathbed speech and funeral. And I think PJ might give us a glimpse of Smeagol or the Eye of Sauron, or he might finish with a shot of the One Ring, or Bilbo opening the door to Gandalf, in order to tie the two trilogies together. And lots of battle sheep and vampire bats and Eagles!

*Thoughts about Bilbo*
I like Martin Freeman's portrayal of Bilbo. I cannot imagine anyone else in this role. This Bilbo seems a bit more sure of himself than book Bilbo, and yet he's come a long way in his journey. I do like the idea of Bilbo having a bigger role in the Battle of Five Armies, even though I know this would mean deviating from the book. Now that Bilbo has gone "there," I cannot wait to see him come "back again." I know that heartbreak lies ahead of him, but I cannot wait to make the final leg of the journey with Bilbo this December.

*More of My Thoughts on TBotFA*

The only thing I am not really sure about at this point is Dain's casting, I'm not super-familiar with Billy Connolly, and I have nothing against him, but I had envisioned someone different having the role of Dain (Gerard Butler would have been great because he looks like Richard's relative in real life!) when I think of Dain in the books, Billy Connolly doesn't come into my mind. I'll give him a chance, but I'm just not convinced yet...

All I can say is, Bring on December. I cannot wait! I already have my little bag of tissues packed in my purse for when I go to see this. I won't be able to go with my mom and sister to see this until the first Saturday it is out because my mom teaches, but we will definitely see it in IMAX 3D first chance we get. I love these movies because they are more than just films. They are an experience. And while I am very, very sad to see the Middle-Earth movies come to an end, I will definitely be replaying these movies on DVD for years and decades to come. What a wild ride and absolute joy these years have been!

mariel
Lorien

Sep 27 2014, 12:56pm

Post #20 of 26 (1717 views)
Shortcut
     Mariel's Time Capsule (Please do not reply to this post) [In reply to]  

Read LotR? Y
Read TH? Y
Seen AUJ? Y
Seen DoS? Y

What I want to see
As much of the book as possible
Bard taking out Smaug, Thorin's descent into madness, the Elves turning aside to help the Laketowners, Bilbo taking the Arkenstone to Bard, Thranduil's change of heart (I don't quite like the way he has been portrayed as so cold and isolationist in the movie ), the battle with Bilbo making his stand with the Elves, Thorin's and the dwarves' charge into the battle, and Beorn taking out Azog(Bolg?). Also the resolution of Dol Guldur with Saruman, Elrond and Galadriel, hoping to see Galadriel use her powers. Of course, Thorin's death scene and funeral and hoping Thranduil puts Orcrist on the tomb (not Legolas who currently seems to have Orcrist), some of the journey home with Bilbo giving the necklace to Thranduil for his board and lodging whilst invisible in his realm, and the sale at Bag End. Also interested to see how Tauriel's story will end.

A lot of spectacle with Smaug attacking Laketown, some epic struggle at Dol Guldur and an amazing battle.

I think Martin Freeman has done a brilliant job. I can't imagine anyone else playing the role now. I think the film makers have done a good job so far showing how far he come from the simple home loving hobbit at the beginning to the brave and resourceful one now. I doubt he will remain unconscious throughout the battle

None really. Just that the bits I hope to see in the movie that are missed out make it into the EE. Also, sad that this is the end

vanima ephel
Rivendell

Sep 27 2014, 8:13pm

Post #21 of 26 (1701 views)
Shortcut
     Vanima Ephel's Time Capsule (Please do not reply to this post.) [In reply to]  

Read all/Seen all

What I really want is a "Rocks Defy Gravity! Everyone Lives!" ending, though I know Thorin, at least, has to die for Mythic Significance, and Kili (and/or Tauriel) will likely die as a Full Stop for the implied love triangle. I'd rather Tauriel, Kili and Fili not die. (The Tolkien Professor podcast makes a good case for a movie audience preferring to see Fili - a character they've come to love over the course of the three movies - become Thorin's rightful heir instead of Dain - an unfamiliar character who will likely appear just in time to help Thorin incite war with the Elves and Men before the BotFA actually begins.) The book purists would obviously hate it, but I don't think it would contradict anything said in movie canon.

I'd like Bilbo to witness the BotFA and to communicate how he feels about it (through Martin Freeman's wonderfully expressive face and/or Bilbo's actions and commentary.

I'd like to see Thranduil changed by the reality of the new desolation of Smaug
and by Bilbo's sacrifice. I hope there'll be time for Legolas and Tauriel to feel that change in some kind of Father/Son and King/Respected-Subject interaction with him.

I'd like to see Galadriel sing Sauron away. :) And I wouldn't mind being given a reason why Gandalf lets Bilbo keep his magic ring - considering I expect Dul Guldur to leave the remaining White Council convinced Sauron is back and regaining power.

Rocks Fall. Everyone (you expect) Dies. As does Radagast. :( Dain becomes King Under the Mountain. Galadriel and Gandalf do not become an item.

The killing of the orc in the first movie was weird, but the excellence of the Riddles in the Dark scene eclipsed that disappointment. And, really, I'm thinking Martin Freeman can do no wrong as this character. Bilbo is supposed to represent the earnest everyman, and MF was born for just that role. However Bilbo's story wraps up in BotFA, I'm sure MF will make it easy for me to believe it. (And I look forward to another peek in by Ian Holm.)

It might not look like it, seeing how little I've refered to him in this post, but Thranduil is the character I'll be most concerned with come tBotFA in December. His arc should be the most dramatic, based on what they've set up in the first two films. (Yes, more so than Thorin's, if only because I expect the dramatic end for Thorin, based on the book. The expansion on the character for the movieverse leaves much more up in the air for fans of The Elvenking.) What will happen between Legolas and Thranduil? What will happen between Tauriel and Thranduil? Worst possible answer: nothing.

"I dissent, even at the risk of being held incorrect or not sober."

(This post was edited by vanima ephel on Sep 27 2014, 8:21pm)

MirielCelebel
Rivendell

Sep 28 2014, 4:18am

Post #22 of 26 (1678 views)
Shortcut
     Miriel Celebel's Time Capsule (Please do not respond to this post) [In reply to]  

Read LotR? Y
Read TH? Y
Seen AUJ? Y
Seen DoS? Y

-Bard killing Smaug (preferably with a real bow/arrow, not a windlance)
-Beorn charging the BOFA
-Tauriel die (preferably not in defense of Kili, yet again)
-Galadriel kicking some orc/Necromancer butt
-Thorin's "Child of the kindly West" line on his deathbed

-Galadriel and Elrond in Dol Guldur
-Dain charging BOFA on rams (thank you teaser trailer)
-A final cameo by PJ, possibly Colbert
-I will cry a lot

Love Martin Freeman's performance. It's different from the book, but really well done. The two most iconic scenes to this point have been Bilbo's conversations with Gollum and Smaug, respectively. I expect and hope that the BOFA will be from Bilbo's perspective (up to the point where he gets knocked out) and just as iconic.

I'm dreading it and highly anticipating it all at the same time.

"The Road goes ever on..."

Writing Bliss

Kerewyn
Rohan

Sep 28 2014, 1:00pm

Post #23 of 26 (1670 views)
Shortcut
     Kerewyn's time capsule (please do not reply to this post) [In reply to]  

Read LotR? / Read TH? / Seen the LotR trilogy? / Seen AUJ? / Seen DoS?
All of the above.

- As much Thranduil magnificence as possible.
- Thranduil's decision to leave Mirkwood, and some poignant father / son moments.
- The madness of Thorin.
- Billy Connolly’s Dain.
- Various crucial book lines, pithily delivered, eg Thranduil’s “Long may I tarry…”
- I want to be surprised at the very start ob BotFA by a flashback or story element that I did not expect (like Smeagol’s story in ROTK)
- The Master of Laketown grovelling and being suitably snubbed by the Elven King
- That Tauriel will live, and there’ll be suitable closure for her.
- I’m one of the only people I know who has zero problem with the Tauriel and Kili story (tho I am well acquainted with the majority feels on this), so I want to see how this plays out. It can even be cheesily romantic, I’ll be happy.

- Stuff that will surprise me, and make me go ‘oh that’s right, I remember that from the book.’
- Kick ass fight moves, stunts from Bombur and a few others, ‘game changing’ swordplay from Thranduil.
- And I’ve already learnt it is the shortest of all six movies, so I expect it to be ‘over too soon’.

Yes I am being vague here, but see last question below.

I feel that more focus will come back to Bilbo. DoS was less his movie, he was more carried along for the ride and we perceived less from his viewpoint. I am not thinking too hard yet about him in BotFA though, see below.

Although I have read TH a couple of times (first time was 10 years ago, 2nd time was start of this year) I am a little vague on crucial story points once Smaug has been dealt with. I can’t quite remember the order of actions in the part of the book that is BotFA. I have noted peoples’ speculations on various story points here on TORn, and recalled unrelated moments that I’m looking forward to – but otherwise, I am deliberately remaining a bit vague, and am even zoning out slightly / not participating in discussions on what to expect. This is part of my ‘delayed gratification’ personality – I love to be surprised by a movie itself – it worked for me for the whole of LOTR. I want the same again. I am going to let BotFA itself remind me.

Part of my ‘switching off’ now is so I can cope with the after-Christmas Australian release date, and is a prelude to my hiatus from TORn during those 2.5 weeks. If I get too worked up and frantic to see it, it will be unbearable, I’ll spoil it for myself, and possibly be disappointed.

So looking back on my time capsule later, I will be saying, ‘did it delight and surprise me as much as LOTR did? Or did I set too high expectations to be gratified in the same way?’

"Thou speakest of thralldom. If thralldom it be, thou canst not escape it..."

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Sep 28 2014, 1:03pm)

Kerewyn
Rohan

Sep 28 2014, 1:18pm

Post #24 of 26 (1656 views)
Shortcut
     Replying to 'questions, comments, discussions' [In reply to]  

I just want to say, cats16, that I really like what you've expressed in your capsule post. You've given vent to the element of 'bittersweetness' that has been also swilling around in my head and heart about (1) the emotive content (2) the whole movie ride coming to an end.
I've been unable to find the right words, but you have. Smile

"Thou speakest of thralldom. If thralldom it be, thou canst not escape it..."

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 28 2014, 11:35pm

Post #25 of 26 (1650 views)
Shortcut
     Thank you! [In reply to]  

Thanks for your kind words, Kerewyn. SmileYou're right, it's a hard thing to express. Especially when it is an anticipated feeling and experience!

This second trailer can't come soon enough.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.