The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
** Discussion leader needed for "The Great River" Mar. 24-30 **

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 25 2008, 8:17pm

Post #1 of 6 (298 views)
Shortcut
** Discussion leader needed for "The Great River" Mar. 24-30 ** Can't Post

Great chapter going cheap! Please reply here if you'd like to lead Chapter 9 of Book II, beginning in one month. Lots of good stuff to discuss: a "great phalanx" of swans, a "log with eyes", dark rocks "like a ridge of teeth", the "bite of black-feathered arrows", the "vast grey figures silent but threatening", and Sam's puzzlement at the Moon, "as thin as a nail-paring":

Legolas stirred in his boat. 'Nay, time does not tarry ever,' he said; 'but change and growth is not in all things and places alike. For the Elves the world moves, and it moves both very swift and very slow. Swift, because they themselves change little, and all else fleets by: it is a grief to them. Slow, because they do not count the running years, not for themselves. The passing seasons are but ripples ever repeated in the long long stream. Yet beneath the Sun all things must wear to an end at last.'

Anyone can lead a discussion: all that's required is that you post five to ten threads over the course of a week (more if you wish) in which you ask questions about those aspects of a chapter that interest you, concluded by an open discussion thread for others to add their thoughts.

Let me know if you want to lead "The Great River".

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Feb. 18-24 for "A Journey in the Dark".

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 25 2008, 8:29pm

Post #2 of 6 (204 views)
Shortcut
Reminder: sign-up on Mar. 10 for "Two Towers" discussion. [In reply to] Can't Post

On the subject of our chapter discussions, a sign-up thread for The Two Towers will be posted two weeks from today, Monday March 10, at 12 p.m. (eastern U.S. time). The discussion for The Two Towers will run Apr. 7-Sep. 1. Please begin considering what chapter you might want to lead. New TORN members are welcome to lead discussions!

Thanks to everyone who's led or will be leading a Fellowship of the Ring discussion, and to all the people who have been responding. I think it's going very well. I'm sorry not to have been able to participate much of late, but hope to be contributing again by week's end.

We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Feb. 25-Mar. 2 for "The Bridge of Khazad-dűm".

Entwife Wandlimb
Lorien

Mar 10 2008, 5:44am

Post #3 of 6 (177 views)
Shortcut
Did anyone volunteer? [In reply to] Can't Post

I will be out of town a couple of days but could probably swing something.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 10 2008, 6:00am

Post #4 of 6 (176 views)
Shortcut
Not yet! [In reply to] Can't Post

If you could step in, that would be great! Even if you miss a couple days (you could post extra threads before or after the gap, or if you had something prepared in advance, you could e-mail it to me, and I could post it for you on days you were out). Let me know, and thanks for the offer, Wanda!

Join us Mar. 3-10 for "Lothlórien".

Entwife Wandlimb
Lorien

Mar 10 2008, 6:34am

Post #5 of 6 (177 views)
Shortcut
OK [In reply to] Can't Post

Let me prepare it and I'll let you know if I need you to post any for me.
Thanks!
Christina

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 10 2008, 3:05pm

Post #6 of 6 (219 views)
Shortcut
Great! Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll update the schedule above.

Join us Mar. 3-10 for "Lothlórien".

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.