Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Any specific lines or moments from the book you're hoping to find in the EE?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Sep 22 2014, 1:43am

Post #1 of 27 (1773 views)
Shortcut
Any specific lines or moments from the book you're hoping to find in the EE? Can't Post

I have a couple moments from the book that I'm crossing my fingers for.

The first one is when Gandalf introduces himself, and Beorn just says "never heard of him." I think that'd be great to have in the movie. It'd be sort of unexpected because everyone always seems to know who Gandalf is at least to some degree. And it's a fun way of introducing Beorn's character. I have a feeling it won't make it in though. Beorn in the movie seems to be a little more knowledgeable about current events compared to in the book.

I'm also hoping for some sort of exchange between Thorin and Thranduil that's at least inspired by the "we were starving in the forest" conversation. Of course it can't play out exactly like the book because they've already changed so much. Thorin wasn't captured separately, and it was never established (and probably won't be even in the EE) that they were starving. We know a proper introduction to Thranduil was shot, which included the "where does your journey end?" line from the trailer. So I'm hoping that that scene ends up in the EE along with some book inspired sass from Thorin.

OrangeBerserk

Sep 22 2014, 3:53am

Post #2 of 27 (1257 views)
Shortcut
Aside from the obvious... [In reply to] Can't Post

Aside from the scenes we already know and expecting to see. I would like to see the Feast of Starlight.

In the Theatrical version, it seemed kind of random how Kili suddenly said "seems like quite a party you're having up there". It would make sense for there to be a sequence with the Elves dining and it would also lead on to Barrel Escape scene with Elros and Gallion drinking wine down in the cellar and then Bilbo retrieving the keys.

(This post was edited by OrangeBerserk on Sep 22 2014, 3:55am)

QueenCirce
Bree

Sep 22 2014, 4:53am

Post #3 of 27 (1219 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf and thrain [In reply to] Can't Post

I am hoping for a lot more of Gandalf.

Especially some more magic when he fights/talks with Thrain.

I also want to see if the dwarf ring is mentioned as it was certainly a breadcrumb device in the white council EE.

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 22 2014, 5:47am

Post #4 of 27 (1229 views)
Shortcut
Thorin's bow shot at the stag/deer [In reply to] Can't Post

Which we know was filmed, tho I assume the deer would be CGI. Tho looks like the whole story re Bombur was changed. I am really excited for the EE!Heart

And more Thorin and more re the feast would be amazing.Heart

Hó , Það sé ég föður minn
Hó , Það sé ég móður mína, og Hó, Það sé ég bræður mínir og systur mínar
Hó , Það sé ég mitt fólk aftur í byrjun
Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar
Hvar hugrakkir mun lifa að eilífu

Shagrat
Gondor

Sep 22 2014, 7:13am

Post #5 of 27 (1173 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely this [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Beorn's 'Never heard of him' line, and dearly hope it is included. You could imagine Gandalf bigging himself up to Bilbo beforehand, introducing himself in grand style, there's silence as Beorn ponders for a few seconds, and then he delivers the line, going back to chopping his wood as Gandalf appears momentarily befuddled and Bilbo looks at him in disbelief. You could get a really good laugh out of that scene, but at the same time it would continue the mystery and threat of Beorn for a while longer.

Cirashala
Valinor

Sep 22 2014, 7:20am

Post #6 of 27 (1132 views)
Shortcut
not random [In reply to] Can't Post

if you listen closely, you can hear lots of voices chattering and laughing above the dungeons, and a wee bit of music playing, right before he says that Smile

I would love to see that scene though Smile

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 22 2014, 5:26pm

Post #7 of 27 (1044 views)
Shortcut
I am hoping to see... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Enchanted River, which is confirmed.

An extended Beorn-Gandalf and Co interaction, which seems to be confirmed.

More High Fells.

Thrain, which is confirmed.

More Thranduil dialogue, specifically 'Where does your journey end?'. That trailer gave me goosebumps, and I want to hear the full speech!!

Fingers crossed!!

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Nuradar
Rohan

Sep 22 2014, 6:09pm

Post #8 of 27 (1013 views)
Shortcut
More Beorn! [In reply to] Can't Post

The limited amount of Beorn we see in the theatrical version was my biggest complaint of DOS. Mostly because it was my favorite part of the book. The trailer of the EE shows more scenes with Beorn, so I'm hoping it will satisfy my Beorn fix...

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Sep 23 2014, 4:36am

Post #9 of 27 (903 views)
Shortcut
has this been confirmed ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf/Thrain scene?

The flames of war are upon you..

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Sep 23 2014, 5:28am

Post #10 of 27 (879 views)
Shortcut
Yes, we're getting Thrain. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thrain was shown in the trailer for the extended edition.

redgiraffe
Rohan

Sep 23 2014, 8:23am

Post #11 of 27 (870 views)
Shortcut
heh? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Tho looks like the whole story re Bombur was changed.

Wait, do you mean there is news that this was cut form the EE?

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Sep 23 2014, 8:28am

Post #12 of 27 (878 views)
Shortcut
more High Fells [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The Enchanted River, which is confirmed.

An extended Beorn-Gandalf and Co interaction, which seems to be confirmed.

More High Fells.

Thrain, which is confirmed.

More Thranduil dialogue, specifically 'Where does your journey end?'. That trailer gave me goosebumps, and I want to hear the full speech!!

Fingers crossed!!

would be great,although i doubt we get moreUnsure and,what more should be added?!
Some travelling to Dol Guldur would be nice,at least one scene.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 23 2014, 2:20pm

Post #13 of 27 (830 views)
Shortcut
I don't know if any will be added... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I know they filmed more. Maybe it was part of AUJ then cut so it might not fit anymore, but I just got the feeling that the plot with the High Fells was left just a wee bit underdeveloped. But that just be me wanting more backstory and lore added to the films.

Who else wants to see the Fall of Angmar in a flashback!? Anyone?

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 23 2014, 2:22pm

Post #14 of 27 (831 views)
Shortcut
Not really. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Imho the background story needs a clearer focus, not a broader one.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Sep 23 2014, 2:39pm

Post #15 of 27 (825 views)
Shortcut
do you know what stuff they filmed more ? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
but I know they filmed more. Maybe it was part of AUJ then cut so it might not fit anymore, but I just got the feeling that the plot with the High Fells was left just a wee bit underdeveloped. But that just be me wanting more backstory and lore added to the films.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 23 2014, 6:38pm

Post #16 of 27 (793 views)
Shortcut
Ah, well...To each their own. [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally, I have the fear that this ship has sailed, and we will see no more of the High Fells. The AUJ trailer with the tombs, 'broken open from the inside', got my hopes up, and I missed those shots.

Still, there is another film to go, and I hope they resolve all my unanswered questions!!

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 23 2014, 6:54pm

Post #17 of 27 (799 views)
Shortcut
Well, I am basing my statements in a trailer... [In reply to] Can't Post

Specifically the one with Gandalf and Radaghast in the High Fells, where the line about the tombs being, 'broken open from the inside', was uttered. That trailer fired my imagination (in much the same way the DoS trailer with Thranduil's line: Where does your journey end?) and I missed the lines/footage in the theatrical cuts. I was further disappointed that the EE of AUJ did not include it. I'm afraid that we might be facing the possibility that we may never see the shots incorporated.

I, personally think that a build up of the High Fell mystery, leading to the story of Angmar and the identification entombed men, leading to revelation that their leader, the Witch King, owed allegiance to Sauron, with a note on their possession of the Nine rings, then leading to the full story of their resurrection, and finally the reason for their return: the rise of Sauron, would have made a tad better (read: longer) film.Wink

Remember, the Ringwraiths had always been mortal in the past. This is the first time they have become incorporeal creatures of terror. It is something new to Gandalf and the WC, so the opportunity for a grand mystery is there. They had no proof that the RW's were not dead and gone,(Indeed at this time the term had not been coined) and no information on the rings'/Sauron's powers to resurrect them.

A missed opportunity in my opinion, but I am enjoying the films, nonetheless!! Here's to hoping we see a satisfying conclusion!!!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 23 2014, 7:19pm

Post #18 of 27 (779 views)
Shortcut
Radag(h)ast [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't take this wrong, but are you reading/watching a foreign-language edition of the books and/or films? I ask because of your spelling of Radagast.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 23 2014, 7:25pm

Post #19 of 27 (768 views)
Shortcut
Augh!!! The evils of Autocorrect!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I mis-spell in one time on my iPod, and now the infernal machine thinks that it's the only way to spell it!

*Sigh*

Thanks Otaku!

(This post was edited by Rembrethil on Sep 23 2014, 7:26pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 23 2014, 7:30pm

Post #20 of 27 (763 views)
Shortcut
No prob... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was wondering because Radaghast is a valid, historical spelling of the name that predated Tolkien.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Sep 24 2014, 6:38pm

Post #21 of 27 (713 views)
Shortcut
By the time of The Hobbit... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the Nazgul had been known for thousands of years. They first appeared in the middle of the 2nd Age.

I know that things are quite different in film-universe, but how do we know that "This is the first time [the Nazgul] have become incorporeal creatures of terror"? It's never been outrighted stated that the Nazgul were still mortal when they were trapped in these High Fells. I always just assumed that they were already in their "wraith" forms when they were entombed.

Anyway, while I enjoyed the atmosphere of the High Fells scene, I really didn't appreciate how far the writers deviated from the history of the Nazgul as Tolkien wrote it. So I'd rather they focused on adding to other parts of the story.

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Sep 24 2014, 6:39pm)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Sep 25 2014, 1:44pm

Post #22 of 27 (665 views)
Shortcut
Didn't everyone see the DOS EE trailer just released [In reply to] Can't Post

I can come here only now and then, and am surprised this time not to see a whole thread already about this EE trailer. Or is it already long past, kind of??? News ca move so fast sometimes on these TORn boards!...

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 25 2014, 1:51pm

Post #23 of 27 (662 views)
Shortcut
The thread has slipped to page 3. [In reply to] Can't Post

Click here for thread.

Smile

(It's mentioned on the homepage here.)

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Sep 25 2014, 1:53pm)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Sep 25 2014, 1:51pm

Post #24 of 27 (660 views)
Shortcut
Any lines written down somewhere from the EE trailer? [In reply to] Can't Post

I was hoping to see a whole analysis of this trailer somewhere on TORn, but I can't seem to find any, The trailer doesn't seem to be even mentioned on Home?!? I don't understand. Could someone please clarify the situation for me, or post a link to the relevant DOS EE trailer info?...Unsure

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Sep 25 2014, 1:56pm

Post #25 of 27 (646 views)
Shortcut
Oh, thank you so much!... // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.