Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XIV
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 21 2014, 1:21am

Post #1 of 206 (10121 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XIV  

Thanks to mariel's threadtipping and dernwyn's extra tingly mod sense we've left the TAXIII. Here's XIV

Any and all appreciation of HeartThranduil and everything related to him happens here.
All HeartThranduil Thralls, and appreciating non-Thralls are welcome.Smile So feel free to jump in at any time!

(Clicky!)

The Thranduil Appreciation thread count:
I | II (Originating thread and II by Rowan Greene) | III | IV | V | VI | VII (Thread by Eruvandi)
VIII | IX X | XI | XII | XIII
(NOTE: Please read the "IMPORTANT README for TA posters: Information on posting, and adding images")

Thranduil Appreciation Lexicon
aka the little TAspeak garden Tongue

• Bubba: Nickname of Thranduil's beloved War-Elk
  • Equal Opportunistic Thrall: One who thralls whom her/his infidelity fancies. Shamelessly multi-allegiance by nature. See also "Thranduil Thralls"
  • Elvenking, The: That's right, that's how it's supposed to be written
  • Facemelt: That thing Thranduil does in T&T
  • Fanart: Popular post subject/title. Beacon for Thralls, as sure as moths dive into flames. (Helpful reference for the threadlard inspired: See the "IMAGES" section of "The TA (very) Quickie Help/TIPS for adding IMAGES and POSTING" sections in this README FOR ALL TA Posters) See also "Pretty!"
  • FLAST: Shorthand for Flustered Leggy AND Sassy Thranduil. In honour of the worship for badass (maybe a smidgeon of oblivious in there somewhere) Thranduil and his actions/non-actions resulting in Legolas getting into a flap. Requires Legolas to be present when Thranduil does his thang
  • GotG: Guardians of the Galaxy. That movie in August 2014 with LP in it
  • HCF: Halt and Catch Fire. LP's 2014 TV series.
  • High Thud Risk (aka HTR): Alert for Pretty! hoarding thralls, invoked when 'EI' ain't cutting it. See also Pretty!
  • LA: The Last Alliance of Elves and Men, not the city in the States
  • Lee Pace: Thranduil
  • Leggy: affectionate diminutive of Legolas
  • Legolas: Son of Thranduil, aka surfer Elf of LotR
  • LP: Lee Pace
  • Oropher: Father of Thranduil
  • Orry/Oro: affectionate diminutive of Oropher
  • PD: Pushing Daisies. LP's 2007/2008 TV series.
  • Peckish Thrall: Avandel's TA humour panels ala Peckish Owl (So this is new, sue me. I'm just pre-emptively perpetuating something that's an eventuality Angelic)
  • Pretty!: Surely self-explanatory? See also "Woodland Weekend", "High Thud Risk"
  • Silent Thread Visitor (aka STV): Self-explantory. STVs, Thranduil has a question for you. What say you? Smile
  • T&T: The Thranduil and Thorin confrontation scene in DOS. Generally ranked top favourite of Thranduil Thralls
  • TA: Thranduil Appreciation. All-round Heart for the Elvenking and his onscreen avatar (and by extension teh actor. See also LP). Shockingly, there are TA posts with that literary bent associated with thinking individuals frequenting such an exemplary forum as TORn. Some even hint at functional brain-matter in the poster.
  • That disagreeable (among other things) Dwarf: See "T&T"
  • Theory of Bling: Overarching term for theories and speculation on the backstories of Thranduil's rings. Popular discussion circa TAIII/TAIV, but still pops up occasionally.
  • Thranddy: affectionateHeart diminutive of the Elvenking's name (if you don't know who is the Elvenking, google is your mellon)
  • Thranduil Thralls: The afflicted. Fangirls, and boys, whose allegiance are pledged to the Elvenking. Also known as the hopelessly enthralled to his ELVEN MAGNIFICENCE. Perturbing to some, Thralldom may not be exclusive. Credit goes to Eowyn of Penns Woods for the "official" Thranduil Thrall moniker. See also "Equal Opportunistic Thrall"
  • Threadlock: The inevitable fate of all TA threads exceeding 200 replies, aka mundane Chore of Mod. See also "Thread tipping"
  • Thread tipping: Post(s) that sends the current TA thread over the 200 replies threshold (See the "AVOIDING GENERIC POST-DEATH" and "AVOIDING POST-DEATH FROM THREADLOCK" sections in this README FOR ALL TA Posters). See also "Threadlock"
  • TW: Thrall Wars. An ongoing bit of silliness in the Fan Art board ribbing everything in and about the Thralldoms of Thranduil and that disagreeable (among other things) Dwarf (see "T&T"). Only one thing is sure: nothing and no one is safe Evil Think of it as vicarious authorly pretensions in miniature ping-pong mode, usually between Avandel and yours truly... Morphing into a 3-player mahjong game with Kerewyn dipping her toes inHeart
  • Woodland Weekend (aka WW): Occasional mega URL laden post for Pretty! of Thranduil, and LP. May also include goodness for Legolas, *cough*That disagreeable (among other things) Dwarf*cough* and some others. Selective indiscrimination is key. See also "Pretty!", "High Thud Risk"

• Keeping track of the appreciation
    Caught off-guard at how much you've missed? 1 simple click will ensure you won't miss another update again. Put this thread on watch! Locate the "Watch thread" button to the top and right of this post (button 3 of the 5 threads buttons you see) and click it.

Also, if you click on the "creation" bit in the "Age" column (last one) when you view a forum, it changes to "activity", and you get a list of threads which has been recently posted to, instead of when they were started. It's a much easier way to find the current TA thread since someone will probably post in it, and it usually appears on page 1 of the activity view. Certainly beats going back through the board to look for it.

Fan of both books and movies; I am a lurker by nature though it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Thranduil Appreciation
    Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XIII
    I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!. (A writing triangle with Avandel and Kerewyn)
    Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
    Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Sep 22 2014, 3:05am)

Eruvandi
    Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2014, 1:34am

Post #2 of 206 (8981 views)
    Shortcut
         You beat me by one minute! [In reply to]  

I have now had my first experience with post-death via threalock as dernwyn locked the thread while I was in the middle of responding to one of Kerewyn's posts. Unfortunately I didn't realize the thread had been tipped and therefore didn't know to make a copy.Pirate Oh well. I remember what I said, so it's fine!Evil

Anyway, I was just about to start the next thread only to discover you beat me too it by one minute, Lurker! Lol! Cool Here goes thread XIV!Heart

"Home is behind the world ahead
    And there are many paths to tread
    Through shadow to the edge of night
    Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow
    Cloud and shade
    All shall fade
    All shall fade"

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Sep 21 2014, 1:36am

Post #3 of 206 (9037 views)
    Shortcut
         Hi-res of that gorgeous BTS image of Thranduil in armour [In reply to]  

Like this from VValar's post in TAXIII?

Then you should be squeely for a higher res version and and then some here

Fan of both books and movies; I am a lurker by nature though it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XIV
    I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!. (A writing triangle with Avandel and Kerewyn)
    Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Sep 21 2014, 1:39am

Post #4 of 206 (9018 views)
    Shortcut
         *HAI* Gah, post-death! Me too!!! [In reply to]  

I was trying to reply to mariel's post and congratulate her for threadtipping so soon after she de-lurked and DOOM! Pirate

Definitely caught me by surprise as we've never had a thread locked so close to the threadtip I think. dernwyn's on fire! Smile

ETA: what image were you going to put in the OP?

Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XIV

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Sep 21 2014, 1:42am)

Eruvandi
    Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2014, 1:56am

Post #5 of 206 (9002 views)
    Shortcut
         In reply to Kerewyn's "The Thingol and Thranduil discussion" post in TAXIII [In reply to]  

This post.

Nice observations Kerewyn. Smile Glad to see you around again!

But to look more closely at and assume this ‘impossible dream’, the genuine desire for a Simaril, there's the parallel between one gem containing the light of Trees of Valinor, and the other containing pure starlight. (as least, if the White Gems are not merely metaphorically named). So neither are ordinary treasures and to possess them would almost be ‘beyond normal wealth’, but to bestow an almost religious experience (is the closest way I can think to describe) upon those who behold them.

That’s as good a description as I’ve ever heard. Smile Just like the Silmarils, the White Gems of pure starlight are clearly more that just bling, but it hadn’t occurred to me that they might actually contain pure starlight! That’s some good food for thought!

Nvertheless… "And every day that he looked upon the Silmaril the more he desired to keep it for ever; for such was its power." I think the Silmarils are more probably powerful than any other piece of bling(?), save the One Ring, but I wonder if the White Gems would exert a similar power over Thranduil eventually? Maybe not. I’m sure he wouldn’t like to part with them, but I can’t see him becoming corrupted by them.

I agree. The White Gems are important to Thranduil but I don’t think they hold any kind of corrupting power over him. IMO, that would go against the Fisher King story arc they’ve set up for him anyway. He’s already corrupted, just like the forest around him. Now he has to be healed so that he can come out of his isolation, not corrupted further.

Mist and shadow
    Cloud and shade
    All shall fade
    All shall fade"

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Sep 21 2014, 2:04am

Post #6 of 206 (9023 views)
    Shortcut
         Various general responses to posts in XIII [In reply to]  

@mariel: Congratulations for achieving threadtip, that definitive mark of a TA poster, so soon!Smile

@dernwyn: Wow... that was really a fast CoM!Shocked Right on the heels of reply 200! Darn that fandom for not keeping you transfixed longerTongue

@VValar:
    • Oef: OH yeah! Just so knee-weakening... Oy vey!
    • Exactly & Hello and welcome!: Hey, you're doing great, you know? Adding Pretty! is the top priority and importance of TA after all. I understand the hesitation, I felt the same way before I took the plungeEvil But to any STVs who are hesitant to jump in just from thinking you've got nothing to add, just do it!Smile
    • About i-browsers and posting on TORn: Don't fret over it. Seems to be common, the pains of TORn posting. Well, if you feel like you want a change after all, try the Feedback forum. I had the biggest frustrations with replying on the phone initially, and after hearing that it's expected functionality anyways, balance is restored.Smile
    • Hey cool change in avatar: Thanks. I loved the conflict in the image's action and the passivity of the quote. Here's that farnie of Elrond and Thranduil... really a FEAST (... damn, forgot to add it to the lexiconFrown)
    • Cute: Thought you might like it. You know it's a GIF clicky right?
    • Last WW of this thread?: Well, First and LastTongue Thanks so much for the responses and the comments. Sometimes they're as enjoyable as the WW itself.
      • Re Oropher: Oops! Thanks for telling me. Now I know.
      • Re "LOL again, Poor Thrandy degrading to a mere 4. I imagine he would be very upset by this news (for he at least is an 11 on a scale from 0-10)" Heheh... sometimes the unintentional comedy is even more fun... imagine the whopping Haldir gets from Celeborn for his insolence... after all, denigrading Thranduil, a kinsman reflects that much insubordinate disrespect on hisself tooTongue
    *checks over posts and responses* Yup. Think that covers all the general responses. Now to porting thread discussions overSmile

=======

Eruvandi
    Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2014, 2:04am

Post #7 of 206 (9025 views)
    Shortcut
         This one [In reply to]  

'Twas this nice big pretty! that I found on Tumblr.Cool We've seen it before, but I had never seen it quite this high-res, or close up. I also love how whoever edited it put all those little sparkles around the sides. Not that Thranduil's fabulousness ever needs enhancement, but I thought it was a nice touch!Angelic

I blame it for letting you beat me to posting because the online image resizer was loading slow.Wink

Mist and shadow
    Cloud and shade
    All shall fade
    All shall fade"

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Sep 21 2014, 2:13am

Post #8 of 206 (9002 views)
    Shortcut
         Thanks for starting this, and in response to your response =) [In reply to]  

Agreed on all your points above... and in response to your post here:

In Reply To
    Same here. I don't even bother trying to read fast because I know if I do, I'll miss stuff. I've never been diagnosed as ADD, but my mind wanders a ridiculous amount and if there's noise of stuff going on around me, I can't focus on reading. Thus is why I get peeved with doctor's/dentists/other places who insist on having a TV or radio going constantly in the waiting room.Unsure Seriously, if I have to sit and wait somewhere for a long time, I'd rather make progress on a book I enjoy than be forced to watch soap operas or hear a never ending loop of medical factoids.Crazy

I guess I'm too used to reading fast. Tolkien has made me pause and try to slow down. I don't always succeed but I try.

ADD though is always a self-diagnose around these partsTongue... back in the day when I was a tot. I think I have the tendency to be distracted way too easily. But oh well. Things are supposed to be improved but I doubt ADD is treated as anything more than a newfangled "foreigner" concept that only the well-heeled would even acknowledge.

In Reply To
    I doubt Thingol wanted to give he daughter to anyone, but short of a dwarf or orc, a lowly Man was probably one of the least desirable options.

LoL!

Re Tauriel... yeah, agreed. It's just in the general sense of the concept of the foster-child plus harbinger of change. Tauriel's arc can never be as tragic as Turin's imo. Too dark and too complicating to the TH story arc as PJ and crew intended.

And oops! I thought the silm-readalong was further along so I plunged on and went all the way to chappie 23 before I realised I've overshot the scheduleTongue

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Sep 21 2014, 2:14am)

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Sep 21 2014, 2:16am

Post #9 of 206 (8986 views)
    Shortcut
         LoL [In reply to]  

In Reply To
    I blame it for letting you beat me to posting because the online image resizer was loading slow.Wink

Oops! It is PRETTY! thoughHeartHeartHeart

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Sep 21 2014, 2:27am

Post #10 of 206 (9031 views)
    Shortcut
         btw... that Elf in the background... [In reply to]  

(in response to this post by VValar) isn't Leggy. I stumbled on a translate of a bit on this scene (spoilers so I won't post or link) and the translator says that's a stand-in.

In Reply To

In Reply To
    What happens here do you think? Is this where Thranduil reunites with Legolas?

I was wondering that same thing, seeing as Legolas is not too far of I imagine they will have a shared scene somewhere in this environment, don't you think? You have no idea how badly I want them to have more scenes together. And I can't wait until the moment where Legolas and Thranduil meet in BOFA. Probably even fight together side by side as well. That would be absolutely EPIC!!!

But this is still something I too want to see in BotFA for sure!Heart

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Sep 21 2014, 2:31am)

dernwyn
    Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 21 2014, 2:38am

Post #11 of 206 (8985 views)
    Shortcut
         Transfixed? Not quite! [In reply to]  

In stitches of laughter is a better description - the Army is tweeting him pics of themselves wearing "beards" of all descriptions! Laugh

And it looks like Jed Brophy and Adam Brown got involved...

(Did I tell you that I love these Dwarves?)

There are those who claim that the Elves have beard-envy...

Angelic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Ataahua
    Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 21 2014, 2:43am

Post #12 of 206 (8972 views)
    Shortcut
         Oversized image removed. [In reply to]  

Please remember our image guidelines when posting pictures:

The maximum size of any picture posted should be 525 wide x 400 pixels high (or a better measure is: 210,000 pixels squared - width x height), but no wider than 670 pixels.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
    Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
    Men: "Pretty rings..."
    Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Sep 21 2014, 2:43am

Post #13 of 206 (9011 views)
    Shortcut
         Nay... lies spread by those envious of the clear-skinned luminosity of Elven pulchritude [In reply to]  

In Reply To
    There are those who claim that the Elves have beard-envy...

Self-delusions to justify the absolute unavailability of good shavers and general lack of finesse among the hirsute afflicted... good excuse for covering the resulting facial and neck nicks and cutsAngelic

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Sep 21 2014, 2:44am)

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Sep 21 2014, 2:47am

Post #14 of 206 (8983 views)
    Shortcut
         How was it oversized ... (and replacement version) [In reply to]  

when it's 47kb, within guidelines right? Also the width is only 479pixels, less than the 670 pixel limit. Or am I missing something here?

ETA: Ah... ok, so now the file size limit is 45kb (I remember it was 48kb when I started or may memory's faulty), answer part of my confuzzlement at least. Please replace with this version - 30kb and 368px wide 503px high (attached). The image is to link to this offsite location: http://th02.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2014/227/a/7/thranduil___king_of_mirkwood_by_ladycyrenius-d7vbi3p.png. Thank you.

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Sep 21 2014, 2:58am)

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Sep 21 2014, 3:04am

Post #15 of 206 (8982 views)
    Shortcut
         Gah... missing image attachment. See attached here please. [In reply to]  

Testing... File attached but not embedded in post, just like previous post.

ETA: Ah, if inline checkbox is checked, image must be embedded. If only intended to be an attachment, inline checkbox must be unchecked.Crazy Another TORn lesson learnt.

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Sep 21 2014, 3:06am)
    Attachments: TAXIV.jpg (30.3 KB)

Ataahua
    Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 21 2014, 4:25am

Post #16 of 206 (8963 views)
    Shortcut
         It was the height x width [In reply to]  

that was oversized - if you go to 670 pixels on one length, the other length will need to be much shorter to stay within the maximum canvas size.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
    Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
    Men: "Pretty rings..."
    Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Sep 21 2014, 7:17am

Post #17 of 206 (8945 views)
    Shortcut
         It was narrower than 670 for sure, but I got it. Can you please replace the image as requested? [In reply to]  

In case you missed my request, here's the details and new image again:
    Please replace with this version - 30kb and 368px wide 503px high (attached). The image should be centred and is to link to this offsite location: http://th02.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2014/227/a/7/thranduil___king_of_mirkwood_by_ladycyrenius-d7vbi3p.png. Thank you.

I will take note the guidelines apply to both the pixel and file size.

=======

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Sep 21 2014, 7:36am)

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Sep 21 2014, 7:28am

Post #18 of 206 (8963 views)
    Shortcut
         Thranduil in the new tapestry/banner [In reply to]  

Continuing from the Pretty! of Armour!Thranduil on Bubba. (VValar, make sure you're sitting down Smile)

=======

Silverlode
    Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 21 2014, 7:45am

Post #19 of 206 (8928 views)
    Shortcut
         I've replaced it for you. [In reply to]  

FYI, it's easy enough to edit and tick the necessary boxes to insert an uploaded file as an inline picture if it doesn't "take", since the file is already appended to the post, but I can't link a picture attached to one post to another post with a simple cut and paste - I had to download it and then upload it from my own computer in order to attach it to the root post.

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Sep 21 2014, 8:24am

Post #20 of 206 (8977 views)
    Shortcut
         4th Age Kings.. or a tangent on the Thranduil going West discussion [In reply to]  

The Thranduil going West discussion had been interesting to say the least (and of course, I'm hoping it's ongoing and vanima will continue where we left off).

But meantime, I came across this image and found it interesting. The Kings/Kingdoms of ME at the beginning of the FA:

1. Aragorn, King of Men and the Reunited Kingdom
    2. Eomer, King of Rohan
    3. Thranduil, King of Eryn Lasgalen
    4. Thorin III, King Under The Mountain
    5. Bard II, King of Dale
    6. Anyone missing?

Got me thinking: with all that happens in BotFA and in LotR, which of course includes the War of the Ring, what is the diplomacy and relations these Kings maintain in FA?

Thranduil might establish ties with Men since this is Aragorn we're talking about, or least Gondor since Legolas does establish the Elf settlement in Minas Tirith. But he did it with Gimli's company. How does that reflect/indicate effects/influences on Eryn Lasgalen's diplomatic ties with Erebor since Thorin III is Dain's son? Though factoring in Thranduil's having made peace with Thorin at the end, I suppose relations were on the positive, rather than negative side of the balance anyway. Maybe frosty and formal but if they passed each other out in the Wild, there would at least be cursory nods all round. Though I think there's practical considerations involved. Unless Thranduil's people learnt themselves some good blacksmithing abilities, the finer requirements of weaponry at least might still need to be farmed out, and who else better than Erebor to commission?

With Dale, and also Lake-town, things would continue to be friendly due to Bard's alliance with Thranduil in BoFa. The wine delivery system continues to rock, and Dale/Lake-town would probably be in boom times, having both the custom of Erebor and Eryn Lasgalen.

Though the Shire came under Aragorn's rule, they're like an autonomous region unto themselves. With the positive impressions Thranduil had of Bilbo, and Legolas' association with the famous four in the Fellowship, would there be any ties between the Shire and Eryn Lasgalen?

What intrigues me the most though, is what about the other Elven realms of Rivendell, Lothlorien and the Grey Havens? With the departure of the Keepers/Rulers of those Elven realms, where do the ones who chose not to depart go? There may not be many, but there will be some, especially the Sindar of Lothlorien. I think, and we've sort of mentioned this in the discussion on Thranduil going West, this may be where Thranduil found himself, at least for a time, the King of a growing Elven population. Certainly, it is not organic growth, and with a shrunken realm, maybe Thranduil would feel the pressures of sustaining his people. So perhaps some of these Elves might settle with Legolas' Elven outpost... or would this be one reason for Legolas to strike out? Though if Elves from other realms join Eryn Lasgalen, I guess there'd be some suitable talents and the pressures of getting good weaponry work done in-Forest might be somewhat relieved.

Going back to the Kingdoms of Men, I suppose the general population of both the Reunited Kingdom and Rohan might be in for a bit of surprise to have myth come to life when they begin to see Elves in their midst. Not often and still not easily of course since Elves are not inclined to non-Elf company. though I'd suppose with Rohan's closer affinity with horses and nature, they might be preferred company of Elves who venture into the lands of Man.

Additionally, and this is mixing movie-verse I know, but given Thranduil's interest in orchid cultivationSmile, would Thranduil travel or send diplomatic missions further east and south than the other kingdoms are wont to? Or is such a clear line drawn that no one among the Free Peoples would deign to say "Hi" and dispense friendship bands in those directions?

Thought?

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Sep 21 2014, 8:38am)

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Sep 21 2014, 8:27am

Post #21 of 206 (8947 views)
    Shortcut
         Thanks, one adjustment request [In reply to]  

Can you centre the image above the "(Clicky!)" bit? Thanks.

In Reply To
    FYI, it's easy enough to edit and tick the necessary boxes to insert an uploaded file as an inline picture if it doesn't "take", since the file is already appended to the post, but I can't link a picture attached to one post to another post with a simple cut and paste - I had to download it and then upload it from my own computer in order to attach it to the root post.

Right, I thought to not repeat the image by putting it up as an attachment. But you're right of course. Not thinking properly.Crazy

=======

Silverlode
    Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 21 2014, 9:03am

Post #22 of 206 (8952 views)
    Shortcut
         Ok, centered now. // [In reply to]  

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Kerewyn
    Rohan

Sep 21 2014, 1:23pm

Post #23 of 206 (8944 views)
    Shortcut
         The article about Celeborn... [In reply to]  

..that you posted in the last thread VValar, is a great read. And putting my hand up as someone guilty of just over-looking Celeborn, I like the analysis of his personality and motives, as well as the Sindaran connection with Thranduil.

Just reposting it here, for anyone that missed it:
    http://www.elfringham.dsl.pipex.com/lotrfic/celessay.html

In response to the news of the death of an old friend; the reappearance of an elf-slaying monster within a days walk of Lorien; and the arrival of something that could possibly damn his wife's immortal soul, Celeborn briefly loses his temper and says a few things which are less than gracious.

And this was the moment when I started to like him.

Now that the author puts it like that!
    My problem initially stemmed from movie-Celeborn being played by an actor from a long-running NZ soap, who also lived next door to me for a short while - and I just could not get past that. (yes it is a small place, NZ...)

So basically, I loved this piece. In spite of all the Silm spoilers. (really? That's Thingol's fate? Frown ) It also expressed some of the reservations I've been enjoying having about Galadriel. The nice, wise, good High Elf with the deeply surpressed power drive. The author notes the questionability of some of her actions. More excellent food for thought, so thanks for sharing!

"Thou speakest of thralldom. If thralldom it be, thou canst not escape it..."

Kerewyn
    Rohan

Sep 21 2014, 1:37pm

Post #24 of 206 (8918 views)
    Shortcut
         Plenty to muse on here... [In reply to]  

..and as I must get some sleep, I'll be interested in reading coming responses tomorrow. I'm also wondering if Thranduil makes any internal policy changes to his own kingdom, given his recent branching out.

And thanking you for the last lot of WW. Soz am not giving individual responses, yet I can admit to a collective sigh of contentment, while clutching a white PJ-style mug of chai. Smile

(and *cough* thank you for the HTR/EI warning. Likewise the two terms you previously gave me to look up. That was ..... extremely informative. I'm quite curious, in a sociological sense, to find out more.)

"Thou speakest of thralldom. If thralldom it be, thou canst not escape it..."

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Sep 21 2014, 1:40pm)

dernwyn
    Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 21 2014, 1:51pm

Post #25 of 206 (8926 views)
    Shortcut
         Or maybe... [In reply to]  

https://twitter.com/...803501035520/photo/1

Angelic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.