Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Tolkien's ideas on escapism, echoed here, by Ai Wewei?

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Sep 20 2014, 3:50am

Post #1 of 6 (627 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien's ideas on escapism, echoed here, by Ai Wewei? Can't Post

Or is it the opposite? What think you? Smile Is this at all the same as Tolkien's ideas on the value of constructing and/or escaping into imaginary creations? Here's one view by an artist--plus an intriguing (and heart breaking) article: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/...-alcatraz-180952742/

This quote at the end made me think of all the controversy about "escapism" in Tolkien's work and other areas of literature and art: "To me, art is about how to escape the common daily burden—that’s how I got into art when I was young, how to escape from heavy political realities. Today, ironically, it’s still the same. China has changed a lot, but as a person, I feel I still live in the old times, still trying to escape from control.”

Link to a post by Curious on Tolkien's views: http://newboards.theonering.net/...ing=escapism;#105359

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2014, 8:36am

Post #2 of 6 (566 views)
Shortcut
Thought provoking [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry I don't have any profound observations to add. I'll just say that I think that those who condemn escapism have maybe never had anything to escape.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Sep 20 2014, 3:42pm

Post #3 of 6 (552 views)
Shortcut
That is an excellent point. And [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it is profound, if one thinks it through to all the ramifications.

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 20 2014, 4:42pm

Post #4 of 6 (551 views)
Shortcut
or perhaps... don't recognize their own forms of 'escape' as such [In reply to] Can't Post

I see mainstream media and maybe especially the local tv stations in their various reporting outlets treat those who dress as and speak in Klingon at cons completely differently than those who paint their face and chest purple and gold and get drunk at football games. They treat those who collect Star Wars memorabilia differently than those who outfit their whole house in Vikings football gear.

A lot of people think that science fiction and fantasy (and fairy tale) are escaping from reality. They think Vikings football fandom is part of reality.

In fact, I contend, that those things are much the same. They provide us with a way to put our minds on something other than work or family/personal health or finances. We are escaping, for a moment, those weights.

Gambling, drinking, shopping addictions... all forms of escapism. But people just don't weigh their own forms of escapism against those of others they might be judging.

I think Tolkien is a pretty healthy form of escapism since, like Tolkien intended, I use those moments spent with Tolkien's words that provide respite from real life to process and understand real life. The same with art in many, many forms.

The hardest problem to solve is one in which we are emerged. It's always effective and productive to take a step back and look at it from a new or different perspective.

But I also concur that some people have probably lead pretty blessed lives. I find those who have traveled more difficult roads often are the most interesting.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2014, 10:03pm

Post #5 of 6 (538 views)
Shortcut
I'll have to think more on this [In reply to] Can't Post

but here is a link to the professor's essay (cited by Curious): http://brainstorm-services.com/...ystories-tolkien.pdf. A relevant section:

I have claimed that Escape is one of the main functions of fairy-stories, and since I do not disapprove of them, it is plain that I do not accept the tone of scorn or pity with which “Escape” is now so often used: a tone for which the uses of the word outside literary criticism give no warrant at all. In what the misusers are fond of calling Real Life, Escape is evidently as a rule very practical, and may even be heroic. In real life it is difficult to blame it, unless it fails; in criticism it would seem to be the worse the better it succeeds. Evidently we are faced by a misuse of words, and also by a confusion of thought. Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls? The world outside has not become less real because the prisoner cannot see it. In using escape in this way the critics have chosen the wrong word, and, what is more, they are confusing, not always by sincere error, the Escape of the Prisoner with the Flight of the Deserter.

Perhaps there is a shade of difference in Tolkien's perspective...he seems to think we are escaping into rather than out of...into that which we are truly made for or fit for. I'm not familiar with Ai Wewei, though, so no doubt more pondering is required. Smile

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2014, 2:48am

Post #6 of 6 (530 views)
Shortcut
All too true! // [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by zarabia on Sep 21 2014, 2:49am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.