Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Do you watch reality TV?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Do you watch reality TV?
Yes, I love that stuff!
Yes, but I hate to admit it.
Only a certain type (e.g., home remodeling, survival - tell us!)
If nothing else is on.
Never.
View Results (43 votes)

Annael
Immortal

Sep 19 2014, 4:42pm

Post #1 of 39 (1770 views)
Shortcut
Do you watch reality TV? Can't Post

I don't watch the "Big Brother" type shows where it's all about people just showing their worst sides, but I have gotten hooked on the creative reality shows. My favorites are Project Runway and Face Off (I record those), and the Property Brothers (which I watch if it happens to be on when I'm in a TV mood).

And then there's America's Next Top Model. I started watching it when I was in grad school. It was the perfect antidote to a day spent cramming my brain full of new information to the point that when I tried to read, my brain refused to make sense of the letters. I consider it total junk food . . . and never miss an episode. I've actually learned some things about how to take a better picture from it; I always hated pictures of myself before.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 19 2014, 5:55pm

Post #2 of 39 (1594 views)
Shortcut
No, unless the evening news counts. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't watch much TV at all, except for the news. I do watch internet shows like Lizzie Bennet Diaries (they're doing Victoria Frankenstein now, which is slowly growing on me.) But not reality shows.

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Sep 19 2014, 5:56pm)

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Sep 19 2014, 6:01pm

Post #3 of 39 (1587 views)
Shortcut
Unless you count chopped on the food network [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure if that is reality because its more a competition but that's it.

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 19 2014, 6:18pm

Post #4 of 39 (1590 views)
Shortcut
'a certain kind' [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have cable so a fair amount of reality programming is not available to me and mostly that's just fine with me (there have been a few creative competition shows that have looked interesting like something with Jim Henson productions?)

Shows I'm keen to watch:
Amazing Race
So You Think You Can Dance
Master Chef
Judge Judy and People's Court.

Shows I have enjoyed, esp. at times, and have watched often:
Survivor
Deadliest Catch
The Taste

Shows I don't mind catching episodes of but I don't make a point of watching:
Dancing With the Stars
American's Next Top Model (I esp. enjoy hearing the critiques about what they're looking for in a model)
Hell's Kitchen
Cake Boss (but this just got too scripted and overly narrative to be enjoyable after a while)
American Idol and The Voice - I like the latter better and I like the audition process better than the competition process

Types of shows I avoid (or would, if I got the channel) like the plaque:
The Bachelor/Bachelorette
The Apprentice
Kardashians
Real Housewives of wherever
Bridezillas
Honey Boo Boo

(This post was edited by Magpie on Sep 19 2014, 6:19pm)

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2014, 6:50pm

Post #5 of 39 (1595 views)
Shortcut
Yes, if sports count. :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Immortal

Sep 19 2014, 8:06pm

Post #6 of 39 (1583 views)
Shortcut
your list of the shows you would never watch [In reply to] Can't Post

is the same as mine. I also avoid anything set in New Jersey or swamps. I have no interest in watching people behaving badly. I mean, you do see that on ANTM at times, but it's not the point of the show.

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 19 2014, 8:10pm

Post #7 of 39 (1567 views)
Shortcut
There are shows set in swamps? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think I would like those, precious. Shocked

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2014, 8:17pm

Post #8 of 39 (1566 views)
Shortcut
I used to watch Ace of Cakes [In reply to] Can't Post

more to catch a glimpse of areas around Baltimore than anything else, although I love the artistry of some of the cakes. I tried some of the cooking shows like Iron Chef but could never get into them to look for them. They rest just never interested me.

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 19 2014, 8:18pm

Post #9 of 39 (1574 views)
Shortcut
I have a few favourites [In reply to] Can't Post

I like The Amazing Race, Survivor, America's Next Top Model, and Project Runway.
Another one I recently discovered is The Great British Bakeoff, which in my opinion puts all those other 'cooking' reality shows to shame.

I guess asking people if they like reality TV is a bit like asking them if they like drama or comedy - there is quite a range, both in style and quality. It's always fun when people tell you they hate reality TV, but then seem to be able to discuss these shows they 'hate' in great detail. Laugh

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 19 2014, 8:18pm

Post #10 of 39 (1574 views)
Shortcut
There's stuff I don't like on ANTM [In reply to] Can't Post

and I'm not a huge fan of Tyra.

But for someone whose is so not girly-girly and has no real interest in modeling... I do enjoy watching the creative aspect of it.

I haven't watched a lot since they got the new format and new judges.

I've heard they kind of keep the contestants sleep deprived to increase the drama. That's not cool.
http://www.npr.org/...php?storyId=90406338

So, Tyra is definitely a guilty 'pleasure'... as it were. I'm not overly proud of myself that I do watch.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Sep 19 2014, 8:23pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 19 2014, 8:27pm

Post #11 of 39 (1575 views)
Shortcut
I guess some might lose all respect for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

.... but last week I was sick and my boyfriend introduced me what he called "the best way to keep my mind of feeling like throwing up all the time". It was "Here comes Honey Boo Boo". It was ghastly, it was stupid... it made me even more sick in some scenes. And yet, I somehow watched several episodes. Though since I am better I stopped :D

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 19 2014, 8:29pm

Post #12 of 39 (1567 views)
Shortcut
It doesn't count [In reply to] Can't Post

when you are feverish and unwell. You get a free pass. Cool

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 19 2014, 8:57pm

Post #13 of 39 (1557 views)
Shortcut
I wish we'd get Project Runway back. [In reply to] Can't Post

I heartily love that show.

I also miss an Aussie reality show called something like "So you think you can dance". We got only the first season and it was brilliant.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2014, 9:14pm

Post #14 of 39 (1556 views)
Shortcut
I used to be able to [In reply to] Can't Post

watch some of it-- the remodeling shows, things like Intervention-- but it's all gotten so terrible, with so much editing and producers telling people what to say and do, and so much invented drama, i just don't even try anymore, even if it's something it seems like i might be interested in. Just a big waste of time. And in the case of Kardashians or Housewives or whatever, a waste of human life.

The closest i get to reality television these days is The Soup, and Mythbusters.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Sep 19 2014, 9:18pm)

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2014, 9:21pm

Post #15 of 39 (1545 views)
Shortcut
Ooops--I almost forgot! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have been known to watch Call of the Wildman (that's the Turtleman show) on Animal Planet. Ernie reminds me of a number of good ol' boys I knew growing up in the mountains--no artificially manufactured rednecks on that show. Wink

Annael
Immortal

Sep 19 2014, 10:28pm

Post #16 of 39 (1535 views)
Shortcut
yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not a huge fan of Tyra, and I cannot abide Kelly Cutrone, who I am convinced actually hates all models and is only in the business to be mean to them. And must have compromising pictures of Tyra, because I can't think of another reason she was hired. Also: please shut up with the tortured metaphors that MAKE NO SENSE.

I miss Nigel. I'm very happy Miss J is back, because he was the only one who actually ever tries to teach the models anything, and because he's . . . well, he's Miss J!

I must say I like that they have guys on it now, though. It got really bad the last 2-3 seasons before that, but having guys has actually rebooted it for me. Also: I am so loving Will. Hope he wins. We need a male model who is 6'5" AND wears 6-inch heels.

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 19 2014, 10:41pm

Post #17 of 39 (1531 views)
Shortcut
I miss Nigel, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

and I'm not fond at all of Cutrone.

Those two points and the introduction of the social media guy are mostly what doesn't thrill me. I don't actually mind the social media aspect but I just don't think much of him.

I've really only seen snippets since they canned Nigel.

Annael
Immortal

Sep 19 2014, 10:55pm

Post #18 of 39 (1529 views)
Shortcut
they dumped that guy for this season. [In reply to] Can't Post

I never saw the use of him either. Now they've got a photographer on instead, named Yusai - not Nigel, bit of an annoying personality, but I think he actually has a good bead on what makes a model. And whosit the male model who got arrested for assault is gone too. So actually I'm enjoying Season 21 more than I have enjoyed the show in years.

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 19 2014, 11:40pm

Post #19 of 39 (1528 views)
Shortcut
A little. [In reply to] Can't Post

Holmes on Homes, and Property Brothers once in a while, but my wife watches Chopped so much it is starting to make me nuts. At least it's not, What not to Watch Wear.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Sep 20 2014, 12:03am

Post #20 of 39 (1528 views)
Shortcut
I also watch home and garden and most of their shows on there [In reply to] Can't Post

But somehow I almost don't consider those "reality" shows. I guess when I think reality I think the bachelorette or desperate housewives neither of which I watch.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2014, 1:17am

Post #21 of 39 (1510 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, i think most of what's considered [In reply to] Can't Post

"reality" shows these days are just game shows with a lot of manufactured drama thrown in.

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 20 2014, 1:27am

Post #22 of 39 (1510 views)
Shortcut
None, for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

The only time I turn on a TV is to watch a movie, whether that's with a disc or a movie channel without commercials.

Kim
Valinor

Sep 20 2014, 3:47am

Post #23 of 39 (1510 views)
Shortcut
I almost selected Never [In reply to] Can't Post

but then I realized that HGTV counts, so I'll admit I do enjoy watching House Hunters International and the occasional remodeling shows. But as for the other types of "reality", no. If I need brain candy, I'll find something else, like Castle re-runs. Smile

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2014, 8:11am

Post #24 of 39 (1511 views)
Shortcut
A few [In reply to] Can't Post

Amazing Race and Project Runway are my favorites. Funny since I resisted watching both of them at first.

I love to travel, so everyone in my family naturally thought I would watch it. But I initially hated the idea of people literally racing through these fascinating places without taking time to appreciate them. After a while, though, I had seen enough episodes that took place in specific countries/cities that I wanted to see that eventually, somewhere along the line, I got hooked.

As for PR, I was flipping channels and happened to see one of the contestants that season was from my state, so I watched a little...then a lot; I've been tuning in ever since. I have to have my Tim Gunn fix. I wish they could clone him and implant different areas of expertise so that he could be a mentor in all areas. I love him!

I also enjoy House Hunters, especially the international editions. I do get frustrated with the people sometimes; they can be so spoiled and short-sighted. I end up talking to them on the tv and it worries my puppies. Laugh

I have watched Top Models as well, but it's been a few seasons. It was interesting to see how some women seem almost plain as themselves, but are transformed in front of the camera or on the runway.

Annael
Immortal

Sep 20 2014, 2:44pm

Post #25 of 39 (1485 views)
Shortcut
Tim Gunn [In reply to] Can't Post

is a treasure. I love how he tears up when people get sent home.

And also ageless, apparently; did you see the one where they showed pictures of all the contestants and judges in 1994? Zac Posen was a little boy. Heidi was 17 and just starting her career (and getting rejected a lot). Tim Gunn looked JUST THE SAME.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.