The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Fan edit of the Barrel Escape from Woodland Elves

Kagemusha
The Shire

Sep 19 2014, 12:24am

Post #1 of 17 (1520 views)
Shortcut
Fan edit of the Barrel Escape from Woodland Elves Can't Post

A fan edit of part of DOS. This edit changed a few things around. Notably, the inclusion of the Durin theme during Bombar's barrel scene:

Mod note: Link removed for copyright reasons.

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Sep 19 2014, 7:38am)

Faleel
Rohan

Sep 19 2014, 12:36am

Post #2 of 17 (989 views)
Shortcut
Pretty [In reply to] Can't Post

Pretty good! though you can tell when the new music kicks in, it sounds much wider than the rest of the music.

Bishop
Gondor

Sep 19 2014, 1:09am

Post #3 of 17 (971 views)
Shortcut
Boy [In reply to] Can't Post

That is one exercise in subtlety. Aside from the music and Bombur not exploding from the barrel (odd choice, considering every other ridiculous moment was intact), I didn't notice much different.

Faleel
Rohan

Sep 19 2014, 1:31am

Post #4 of 17 (936 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

the GoPro shots were moved up in the sequence?

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Sep 19 2014, 2:37am

Post #5 of 17 (935 views)
Shortcut
Meh [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't find this any better, as the only thing I didn't like in this scene is Legolas balancing on the dwarves heads, and that's still in there...
The Bombur sequence is much better without music, and with the exploding barrel!

A good feature in this film is that they tried to not use music at certain scenes and it worked! I wonder how AUJ would have been if they had this approach to that one as well Smile

Vocalist in the melodic metal band Betomast
and the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2014, 2:41am

Post #6 of 17 (930 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if those suuuper cheap looking "GoPro" shots [In reply to] Can't Post

are going to make the EE (i'm assuming they were left in the TE dvd/blu-ray-- I didn't bother). There were two quick shots if i'm remembering correctly (only saw DoS the one time).

Faleel
Rohan

Sep 19 2014, 2:42am

Post #7 of 17 (914 views)
Shortcut
Yeah it worked! [In reply to] Can't Post

It worked at killing any sense of momentum.

Bishop
Gondor

Sep 19 2014, 3:13am

Post #8 of 17 (896 views)
Shortcut
I read [In reply to] Can't Post

those shots were RED cameras in a water box, with a super high shutter speed. It's bizarre how much they stick out, and I'm not sure why they made the final cut. It was probably a "Jim spent three days straight floating down a river with a waterproof camera rig and almost freezing/drowning to death to get those shots, so I'd better be diplomatic about this" kind of situation.

Bofur01
Lorien

Sep 19 2014, 6:52am

Post #9 of 17 (852 views)
Shortcut
I thought I heard... [In reply to] Can't Post

That they stuck GoPros on the barrels they released from the dam during filming...

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Sep 19 2014, 10:55am

Post #10 of 17 (794 views)
Shortcut
Nope [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
those shots were RED cameras in a water box, with a super high shutter speed. It's bizarre how much they stick out, and I'm not sure why they made the final cut. It was probably a "Jim spent three days straight floating down a river with a waterproof camera rig and almost freezing/drowning to death to get those shots, so I'd better be diplomatic about this" kind of situation.

They confirmed it was GoPro cameras (presumably 4K GoPros). It was in the video showing the lengths way went to shoot the Barrel sequence (stating how many cameras were used, how many days etc).

Bishop
Gondor

Sep 19 2014, 1:51pm

Post #11 of 17 (749 views)
Shortcut
Huh [In reply to] Can't Post

Well throwing a couple gopros in the water shooting 4K is hardly going to any lengths for anything.

Bofur01
Lorien

Sep 19 2014, 8:01pm

Post #12 of 17 (673 views)
Shortcut
GoPros can only shoot 4k at 16fps... [In reply to] Can't Post

So I'm guessing it wasn't 4k :p

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Sep 19 2014, 10:42pm

Post #13 of 17 (643 views)
Shortcut
Maybe they [In reply to] Can't Post

Ordered custom 4K ones? I can't imagine they'd be fine with some shots not being 4K.

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Sep 19 2014, 10:44pm

Post #14 of 17 (650 views)
Shortcut
Oh come on [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Well throwing a couple gopros in the water shooting 4K is hardly going to any lengths for anything.

Please don't say that based on what I said. I said it talked about the lengths they went to, I couldn't remember statistics. Basically it said the huge number of shots, the hours of footage, the number of locations etc. I was certainly impressive, which wasn't particularly apparent in the film due to digital scenery being used too often even on location shots.

Bofur01
Lorien

Sep 20 2014, 12:26pm

Post #15 of 17 (617 views)
Shortcut
I'd imagine they'd be fine with it.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...considering the film was mastered in 2k.

Bishop
Gondor

Sep 20 2014, 7:12pm

Post #16 of 17 (601 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't mean it like that. I'm aware of how much work went into that sequence, especially considering it was intended as a climax to the first film (of 2). I think a full year was spent on that sequence alone. But this is why I'm perplexed that gopro shots made it in. You would think the gopro would be used for motion reference or something, not as intended footage to be cut into the film.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2014, 6:32am

Post #17 of 17 (579 views)
Shortcut
And they stood out so much. [In reply to] Can't Post

I still can't believe those shots made it into the final film.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.