The Hobbit: DoS Extended Edition TRAILER... THRAIN CONFIRMED
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 18 2014, 5:10pm

Post #51 of 93 (1239 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

"... scraping gum off a boot" - that's priceless! That's exactly how contemptuous and dismissive he sounds!

Apparently Thorin doesn't like Men any more than he likes Elves, does he Unsure.

Ah well, we have The Voice though. The one with such resonance that I'm sure it has overtones in at least twelve different dimensions Sly.

*Hits replay and goes directly to 1:05*

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Sep 18 2014, 5:17pm

Post #52 of 93 (1238 views)
Shortcut
The EE came out on my birthday last year [In reply to] Can't Post

And this year it's coming out the day before. I already requested both days off. :D

I'm betting we will not see Thrain give Gandalf the map and key, since Gandalf already has Glamdring. He's probably only in the movie to explain how Azog/the Necromancer knew the dwarves were trying to take back Erebor.

Faleel
Rohan

Sep 18 2014, 5:38pm

Post #53 of 93 (1225 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

It has been said that Thrain gives Gandalf the map and Key in Moria during a flashback at the beginning of the film.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Sep 18 2014, 5:39pm

Post #54 of 93 (1244 views)
Shortcut
Thrain [In reply to] Can't Post

The stuff with Thrain in Dol Guldur is going to happen before Gandalf's ambushed by Azog, so this isn't playing out like the book. I think his role is more about the danger to Thorin if he tries to retake Erebor and the fate of the last dwarf ring.

We could get a scene with Thrain giving Gandalf the map and key in a flashback at Bree. It would just take somewhere else (possibly Moria) since they changed some of the events surrounding Thrain's story.

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Sep 18 2014, 5:40pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 18 2014, 5:41pm

Post #55 of 93 (1242 views)
Shortcut
Love the trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it was really cool and loved seeing some of the new moments. I'm looking to see if I can get a real good look at Thrain's eye. Its a strange change to make but in the end I'm not going to fret about it.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2014, 6:36pm

Post #56 of 93 (1220 views)
Shortcut
Also noticed that the trailer seems to indicate that footage of both actors is used... [In reply to] Can't Post

Crazy

The trailer uses the footage that we've seen countless times of Gandalf and Thrain fighting, where Thrain is obviously a different actor in different make-up from Sher, who is shown speaking to Gandalf.

Sorry, but that's sloppy. I don't know what other word to use.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 18 2014, 8:49pm

Post #57 of 93 (1122 views)
Shortcut
There's only one eye that matters.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hó , Það sé ég föður minn
Hó , Það sé ég móður mína, og Hó, Það sé ég bræður mínir og systur mínar
Hó , Það sé ég mitt fólk aftur í byrjun
Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar
Hvar hugrakkir mun lifa að eilífu

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 18 2014, 9:04pm

Post #58 of 93 (1157 views)
Shortcut
TRANSCRIPT [In reply to] Can't Post

I've received a request for a transcript of the EE trailer, so here it is:

Voiceover: On November 4th

Dori: Was that an earthquake?
Balin: That, my lad, was a dragon.

VO: You haven't seen the whole adventure until you've seen the Extended Edition

Thrain: Thorin must not go near Erebor!

Bard: You have no right to enter that mountain.
Thorin: I have the only right.

VO: With 25 extra minutes not seen in theaters

Master of Laketown:
Either our little friends return triumphant, or old Smaug dines on dwarf for a day or two.

Smaug:
I am King Under the Mountain.

VO: Including 9 hours of special features that take you deeper into the adventure

Bilbo: What is this place?
Thorin: This, Master Baggins, is the world of Men.

Beorn: They will hunt the dwarves until they see them destroyed.

VO: Before you see the final Hobbit movie in theaters....

Bilbo: What have we done?

VO:
...be the first to own The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition. On Digital HD on October 21st. On Blu-ray November 4th.

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dûm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Vila
The Shire

Sep 18 2014, 9:27pm

Post #59 of 93 (1091 views)
Shortcut
Thank you very much! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you very much Silverlode!

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 18 2014, 9:44pm

Post #60 of 93 (1101 views)
Shortcut
Think Thorin feels OK about the race of humans - more or less + THAT VOICE [In reply to] Can't Post

As all the dwarves seem to, IMO. Balin & co. seem to readily deal with Bard at the river, and Thorin isn't radiating hostility - Thorin, Dwalin and the dwarves are tense, obviously, but there doesn't seen to be what I would think of as outright antipathy. The dwarves to me seemed relatively comfortable when dealing with humans, more so than elves *in general* tho Kili and Fili seem comfortable enough with all.

Plus the secretive dwarves aren't being all THAT forthright. And I always wonder about the untold backstories - did Thorin or any of the dwarves ever work in Esgaroth after Erebor fell - and did it bother Thorin, over the years, seeing the sad degeneration of a town he knew, after the flow of wealth to the town ended? How DO dwarves feel about humans in general, when there are similarities in culture? Or is our tallness and "busyness" and crowded and often messy cities something of a strain for dwarves from a cultural perspective? e.g. they are willing to trade and hang out with people, but they don't want to LIVE with them.Cool

Maybe Thorin and co. view humans as "alright" - trading partners, allies, maybe even friends of a sort in the right circumstances, tho guess humans never fell over themselves helping the dwarves. *Grins* just another thing I'd love to kick back with Richard Armitage with, and hear his views, as he did so much research and is well-read, thoughtful, and so intelligent.Smile

PS. - and yes, yes, YES - that VOICETongue. Since I wasn't familiar with RA it will always be a HAPPY HeartHeartHeart memory for me, getting chills from the AUJ trailers ("I would take each and every one of these dwarves over the mightiest army. Loyalty. Honor. A willing heart...I can ask no more than that..."). Sometimes I still replay those trailers just to hear Thorin talk. And having my jaw drop during AUJ. No wonder Philippa Boyens seems to view RA's voice work with a tinge of awe (and RA is so nice in the WETA books, talking about what a great compliment it was, as they actually began writing for the character after "getting to know Thorin better").

I would have, I would have thrown out whatever script I had and started re-writing for that achingly magnificent voice. Because RA has said "he didn't have Thorin's voice down" immediately which to me means PJ & co. REALLY didn't know the kind of vision and talent they had hired, until cameras and rehearsals really started getting underway. And if I had been PJ & co. watching playbacks for the first time, I would have been doing a happy dance and popping the champagne, knowing THEN the casting of a major role was beyond perfection. Because I have to think, you never know in this business. Unsure

I mean you could cast someone who is "serviceable" and does a credible job, but finding out you've cast someone off-the-charts spectacular must be something pretty cheering. Anyway, if I ever met PJ and co. that's one of the first things that would come out of my mouth - thanking him for Martin Freeman and Richard Armitage as Bilbo and Thorin.HeartHeartHeartTongue (PS. And no-one is allowed to talk around me when Thorin is talking!Cool)

Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 18 2014, 11:01pm

Post #61 of 93 (1071 views)
Shortcut
PS to my own post - RA tweet re Asian cosplayers [In reply to] Can't Post

Very, very cool - Thorin and Dwalin! HeartHeartHeart These cosplayers are awesome and badassCool

Don't know how much of this work is from Asian artists or Asian-inspired, but love the GLOBAL universal appeal of these films and the dwarves (seems Thorin in particular at times) - but of course!HeartHeartHeartTongue

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Sep 18 2014, 11:56pm

Post #62 of 93 (1067 views)
Shortcut
You know... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sher-Thrain may be digitally added on top of the old Thrain.

I would assume that they use the same scenes, but with the new Thrain added on top

Vocalist in the melodic metal band Betomast
and the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium

Gandy
Bree

Sep 19 2014, 12:20am

Post #63 of 93 (1058 views)
Shortcut
gem eye [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It has been said that Thrain gives Gandalf the map and Key in Moria during a flashback at the beginning of the film.

If they show that, then it's time for Mr. Shore to break out his ultimate variation of this ear heaven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYS5W4jnAt8

If the movie opens with this theme, I'll already be in tears. And certainly if it gets adapted as a dwarf theme during the battle. Man oh man that would be glorious.

As for Thrain's eye, that sure looks like an eye. Bizarre, if so.

My theory is, Thrain has the dragon sickness as we all know, so he loves shiny gems of any color. Somewhere during his imprisonment and loss of more sanity, he found a dark pretty gem. It is the perfect fit for his eye socket so he inserts it and has a gem for a false eye. In his mind he is seeing the world sparkle thru the gem vision and is content.

(This post was edited by Gandy on Sep 19 2014, 12:21am)

Kim
Valinor

Sep 19 2014, 2:01am

Post #64 of 93 (1017 views)
Shortcut
GMSA [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you'll find you're in good company here. Laugh That line caught my ear too - has a similar vibe to "That, Master Burglar, is why you are here." Evil

Join us every weekend for The Hobbit Chapter of the Week discussions!

Kim
Valinor

Sep 19 2014, 2:41am

Post #65 of 93 (1021 views)
Shortcut
Plus, new BOFA Thorin Lego! [In reply to] Can't Post

With the crown! *Adds to wish list*

Join us every weekend for The Hobbit Chapter of the Week discussions!

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2014, 11:06am

Post #66 of 93 (946 views)
Shortcut
Would that make him a Gemini? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

It is the perfect fit for his eye socket
so he inserts it and has a gem for a false eye. In his mind he is seeing the
world sparkle thru the gem vision and is content.

I'll be here all week, folks. Tongue

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2014, 11:13am

Post #67 of 93 (943 views)
Shortcut
Nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to say, even seeing the Lego of Thorin as King Under the Mountain warms my heart. Even if he's king only for a little while...

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 19 2014, 4:19pm

Post #68 of 93 (894 views)
Shortcut
ROFLOL [In reply to] Can't Post

I got it! I got it! Cool To show his SUPREME POWER and to get Thrain to come to the DARK SIDE, the Necromancer gives Thrain an eyeball, which leads an independent life of its own and from time to time rolls out of DG to hit some pubs and ogle elven girlsEvil

PredatoR
Bree

Sep 19 2014, 4:25pm

Post #69 of 93 (890 views)
Shortcut
mmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I do not understand where you see the eyeball? I don't see it at all and it has a scar on the face.

and people can make more tatoos in time!

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 19 2014, 4:30pm

Post #70 of 93 (891 views)
Shortcut
Agreed - the King Under the Mountain returns and is home [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to say, even seeing the Lego of Thorin as King Under the Mountain warms my heart. Even if he's king only for a little while...

I've felt like that since the Company arrived at Erebor, thinking back the look on Thorin's face on the carrock as he looked across at Erebor. He wanted so badly to get home *sigh*.Unimpressed So if nothing else, Thorin is HOME and to me IS the King Under the Mountain - and the defender of still-beautiful Erebor. And he is magnificent.

*That which is dead will never die*HeartHeartHeart

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 19 2014, 4:35pm

Post #71 of 93 (894 views)
Shortcut
Well I really don't know either [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously. Haven't paid a lot of attention to this, but there's a side by side pic around online of AUJ Thrain where there is skin over the eye, and the DOS Thrain where it looks like a socket. Which to me would make sense that a fragile closed part of skin would get torn during capture and torture re Thrain.

But haven't really looked hard so far.....UnsureCrazyCool

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 19 2014, 9:57pm

Post #72 of 93 (841 views)
Shortcut
It's not a socket in DOS, it's an eyeball :) [In reply to] Can't Post

He goes from having skin over his eye (presumably his eyelid covering an empty socket) in AUJ, to having an eyeball in DOS.

Maybe Sauron necromanced just his eyeball for the fun of it Angelic

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 19 2014, 10:48pm

Post #73 of 93 (830 views)
Shortcut
we have not seen the EYE, preciousssss [In reply to] Can't Post

But will keep searching Cool.....

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 19 2014, 11:27pm

Post #74 of 93 (819 views)
Shortcut
I'm pretty sure I saw the eye in one pic [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll post the link as soon as I find it.

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 20 2014, 12:31am

Post #75 of 93 (807 views)
Shortcut
Well, what do you know... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the same pic as the one you posted, albeit larger.

Link

If you brighten up your screen, you can pretty clearly see he has both eyes.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.