Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XIII
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 18 2014, 3:15am

Post #101 of 202 (9242 views)
Shortcut
     psst Aunt Dora [In reply to]  

The squigglies on your sig looks like a funky conga line going ever on and on when I'm viewing your post on my android phone. Just saying.Smile

Fan of both books and movies; I am a lurker by nature though it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Thranduil Appreciation
Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XIII
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!. (A writing triangle with Avandel and Kerewyn)
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 18 2014, 3:26am

Post #102 of 202 (9229 views)
Shortcut
     More fanart! [In reply to]  

Heehee

Liking the blend on this, though the choice of focus is mehTongue

For the Leggy Lasses

And one for ThranduilHeartHeartHeartHeartHeart Thralls

Fan of both books and movies; I am a lurker by nature though it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XIII

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!. (A writing triangle with Avandel and Kerewyn)
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

mariel
Lorien

Sep 18 2014, 7:34am

Post #103 of 202 (9207 views)
Shortcut
     Update re links [In reply to]  

After a bit of head scratching I think I've managed to make clickable links?

http://s1378.photobucket.com/...zpsef3c354b.jpg.html
http://s1378.photobucket.com/...zpsbe0ed50e.jpg.html
http://s1378.photobucket.com/...zpsd06d117d.jpg.html
http://s1378.photobucket.com/...zps80b5c933.jpg.html

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 18 2014, 11:02am

Post #104 of 202 (9244 views)
Shortcut
     In his umbrella stand? [In reply to]  

Well, I seem to recall that Lee Pace has said that that's where he keeps his sword...

Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 18 2014, 11:57am

Post #105 of 202 (9300 views)
Shortcut
     *jaundiced eye* no it's not, after all [In reply to]  

Clearly, some evil is at work for even Thranduil's eyes so starlight bright were cheated by some spell.

... have to wonder though, does LP actually understand what he's potentially asking for?CrazyTongue

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Sep 18 2014, 12:00pm)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 18 2014, 12:12pm

Post #106 of 202 (9214 views)
Shortcut
     You did! [In reply to]  

Excellent! Now you're well on your way to Pretty! purveyance notorietyTongueEvil

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 18 2014, 12:14pm

Post #107 of 202 (9201 views)
Shortcut
     You see much, dernwyn of the Modar [In reply to]  

*impressed* And here I thought you only cared for that disagreeable DwarfTongue

Thanks for that reminder, I'd forgotten thatEvil

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 18 2014, 12:55pm

Post #108 of 202 (9214 views)
Shortcut
     Oh yes! I specifically like this paragraph of connections between the two Kings [In reply to]  

I read that Michael Martinez article, among others, and if you look at the imagery we see in the AUJ EE prologue, the allusions are clear as the Silmarils.Smile

And now that I've finished chappie20, I want to quote this paragraph that I found most interesting in its numerous parallels and contrasts all at once, in my still raw (re)impression of Thinggol and the parallel/counterfoil to Thranduil:

From Doriath came little help. For Maedhros and his brothers, being constrained by their oath, had before sent to Thingol and reminded him with haughty words of their claim, summoning him to yield the Silmaril, or become their enemy. Melian counselled him to surrender it; but the words of the sons of Fëanor were proud and threatening, and Thingol was filled with anger, thinking of the anguish of Lúthien and the blood of Beren whereby the jewel had been won, despite the malice of Celegorm and Curufin. And every day that he looked upon the Silmaril the more he desired to keep it for ever; for such was its power. Therefore he sent back the messengers with scornful words. Maedhros made no answer, for he had now begun to devise the league and union of the Elves; but Celegorm and Curufin vowed openly to slay Thingol and destroy his people, if they came victorious from war, and the jewel were not surrendered of free will. Then Thingol fortified the marches of his realm, and went not to war, nor any out of Doriath save Mablung and Beleg, who were unwilling to have no part in these great deeds. To them Thingol gave leave to go, so long as they served not the sons of Fëanor; and they joined themselves to the host of Fingon.

- Quenta Silmarillion, Chapter 20, "Of the Fifth Battle: Nirnaeth Arnoediad"

"From Doriath came little help". Just as the Dwarves got little help from Thranduil, so did the Feanorians get scant assistance from Thingol, though for vastly different reasons... well prima facie. Where Thranduil's stance was to not get involved in events that were foregone conclusions and risk unnecessary waste of his people's lives, Thingol's refusal stemmed from a quarrel, and stiff-necked pride. Prima facie, because I do believe, had the Dwarves not "betrayed" the contract and returned the White Gems to Thranduil, he might have felt a closer sense of alliance and be willing to proffer some assistance, even if he did not join the fray (which I still doubt he would in any case) directly.

"And every day that he looked upon the Silmaril the more he desired to keep it for ever; for such was its power." The hold of the Simaril on Thingol was probably the stronger but Thranduil's thing for the White Gems surely was very strong in itself, though as I think it was you who pointed it out, Kerewyn, it wasn't that strong that Thranduil was motivated to go himself and get them out of the Smaug hoard. But for Thingol, it was strong enough that he refused to see the logic of going to war allied with the Feanorians if it meant relinquishing his claim on the Simaril.

"Celegorm and Curufin vowed openly to slay Thingol and destroy his people, if they came victorious from war, and the jewel were not surrendered of free will." Antagonisms. Of course the quarrels Thingol has with the Feanorians is on a completely different level than the animosity of what the Dwarves, specifically Thorin, has with Thranduil. But we see both Kings have, to put it very mildly, diplomatic issues due to whitish jewels and their state decrees in service of or as a result of those bling.

"Thingol fortified the marches of his realm". Both Kings looked to defences, but again for vastly different reasons. While Doriath has long benefitted from the grace of Melian's power, the Doom of desiring the Silmarils changed things, and Thingol, having brought things to a head himself (as you say, Kerewyn, he's really asking for it), strengthened defences for his kingdom for the first time in a long time, in anticipation of Feanorian offence. But Thranduil's fortifications is an on-going endeavour in the face of encroaching evil from the south, and he's even had to retreat and shrink his realm's borders, having no assistance from glamours or magics of higher beings or powers. Thingol did not need to do any border redefinitions.

"To them Thingol gave leave to go". Despite refusing to participate himself, he allowed those who wished to go, albeit with conditions. I want to think that in addition to understanding the yearning to be part of great deeds, there's also an element of Thingol understood deep down it was a fight no one could avoid, and no Elf should really shirk the duty to "DO THE RIGHT THING". Here I see a parallel not only with Thranduil ultimately turning from his march to the Mountain to assist Lake-town, but also going back to Oropher's decision to join the Last Alliance and Thranduil's own gumption to stick it out through the entirety of the War of the Last Alliance after Oropher's fall.

That's my $0.02 on the Kingly comparisons. What do you think? Smile

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Sep 18 2014, 1:03pm)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2014, 2:55pm

Post #109 of 202 (9209 views)
Shortcut
     Whoever made that poster should be proud... [In reply to]  

...that it's high enough quality that not only the news outlets, but LP himself thought it was real! I thought it was real too, though, I'm still wondering where they got that pic of Thranduil, if it's not official. It doesn't look familiar to me.

Also, yay for a real poster coming soon, and LP better brace himself for the incoming inundation of fan art from people all around the world! All I can say is: You asked for it!Wink

"Home is behind the world ahead
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade"

VValar
Gondor

Sep 18 2014, 4:04pm

Post #110 of 202 (9174 views)
Shortcut
     Not an official poster after all? [In reply to]  

It looked good though, but had me wonder if it was a fanmade poster or not. Because usually the official posters are of fantastic HR quality photo's. Although Thranduil looks as good as ever on it, the image didn't appear of such HR quality as we're used to. And to me, his pose was just a little off for it to be an official one. But seeing as you posted the screeny from LP's twitter saying it was the official poster, it made me doubt myself (because it ís nicely done). I guess this means we're getting another -official- poster with an amazing HR Thranduil for BOFA...Sly

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 18 2014, 5:50pm

Post #111 of 202 (9170 views)
Shortcut
     *grins* [In reply to]  

I have this habit of picking up on quirky things in the interviews! Laugh

This cast is a lot of fun, I love'em all - but then, Sir P. selects only the best. Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

VValar
Gondor

Sep 18 2014, 9:17pm

Post #112 of 202 (9141 views)
Shortcut
     About the fanart [In reply to]  

Yes the focus is very off. And Bubba's antler seems to be alight Tongue

I always like pictures of both Thranduil and Legolas in it. Although Legolas should have been photoshopped a little smaller, because he is almost as tall als his Dad, who is riding a giant Elk!

Heart Best one yet

VValar
Gondor

Sep 18 2014, 9:19pm

Post #113 of 202 (9126 views)
Shortcut
     Yup it works [In reply to]  

*Checks them out one more time* Heart

VValar
Gondor

Sep 18 2014, 9:21pm

Post #114 of 202 (9141 views)
Shortcut
     In his umbrella stand? [In reply to]  

Now that's a bit of an unorthodox location for a sword Evil

Love the closeup of all the details, it's so pretty

VValar
Gondor

Sep 18 2014, 9:24pm

Post #115 of 202 (9164 views)
Shortcut
     TA diehards [In reply to]  

Including VValar, I think that makes three of us former silent thread visitors that I know whose first TORn post is consecrated to the glory that is Thranduil the ElvenkingAngelicLaugh

HeartHeartHeart
I think I barely post in any other topic, unless it's somehow Thranduil related Angelic

VValar
Gondor

Sep 18 2014, 9:33pm

Post #116 of 202 (9136 views)
Shortcut
     Nope that's not it [In reply to]  

I have checked it, but I'm already in advanced editor mode and I can see the buttons on top of the text box. I'm not sure why it doesn't seem to work properly, I don't have those kind of problems on other sites/forum. But thanks for helping me figure out what's wrong Unimpressed I guess I'm stuck with the pain of having to edit and re-edit every text/picture until it works accordingly. It just takes up extra time, that's all.

Here's one to ease the pain, a little bit of FLAST to lighten the mood

(This post was edited by VValar on Sep 18 2014, 9:33pm)

VValar
Gondor

Sep 18 2014, 9:40pm

Post #117 of 202 (9152 views)
Shortcut
     This was my thought exactly [In reply to]  

When I watched the DOS EE trailer yesterday evening. It looks cool and inviting, but unfortunately I didn't see and (new) footage with Thranduil (or Leggy). I hope this doesn't mean we will be deprived of new Thranduil goodness in the EE. We will not be pleased if we don't see anything new preciousssssss, no we won't Mad

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 18 2014, 9:42pm

Post #118 of 202 (9129 views)
Shortcut
     Have you checked out Magpie's excellent tutorials? [In reply to]  

uploading the image from your harddrive
uploading the image from a website you own

VValar
Gondor

Sep 18 2014, 9:50pm

Post #119 of 202 (9144 views)
Shortcut
     That book title [In reply to]  

Ah that's OK, perhaps it poppes into mind someday Smile (and when that happens be sure to let me know Smile )

Re the two swords theory:

In Reply To

I'd think he's either
- one of those pro-level people who's so attuned to each weapon he uses, he's particular about which sword goes where, and in that case, would only wear his main sword at home and yes, just dust off the secondary sword when he goes out for adventure
- or he's equally comfortable with either sword in either hand, then he'd definitely be keeping the one out of rotation by his nightstandLaugh

I think it won't matter to Thranduil which sword he uses. Btw, aren't both swords similar to each other? That way it wouldn't really matter which sword he carries with him. It makes sense them both being exact twins, but I haven't seen any decent closeups with his two swords in combat.
The sword has it's own fanart as well
http://i1277.photobucket.com/...lIII_zps28576db7.png

Fionniel
The Shire

Sep 19 2014, 1:23am

Post #120 of 202 (9137 views)
Shortcut
     My exact thoughts,too, VValar. [In reply to]  

I was positively fuming when the new DOS:EE trailer showed absolutely NO Thranduil,Shocked let alone any new scenes with him in it ! Mad They just can not leave out those two scenes that we know were filmed. Namely, where Thranduil confronts all the Dwarven party; and the conversation he has with Legolas. How could they show more of those silly Dwarves and have nothing of his Royal Fabulousness. Absolute travesty ! I am hoping that P J and co. are just saving the best till last.Evil

I am one of those silent readers that had to come out of lurking mode. It only happens when the thread subject is Thranduil ( and his dad and his son). Such is their power.Heart I have read every T A thread,Yay ! I am very grateful for the hard work done here by so many generous people. The info. is fascinating and the images supplied are awesome. It makes my day every time I come to these T A threads.Smile

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 19 2014, 3:25am

Post #121 of 202 (9102 views)
Shortcut
     Oh yeah... and I really wonder who started all... this =P [In reply to]  

In Reply To
...that it's high enough quality that not only the news outlets, but LP himself thought it was real! I thought it was real too, though, I'm still wondering where they got that pic of Thranduil, if it's not official. It doesn't look familiar to me.

Exactly my thoughts. And it's not on the official website either is it? Which seemed down forever anyway ... The pic is not familiar to you? Did you miss this sub-thread in XII?

In Reply To
Also, yay for a real poster coming soon, and LP better brace himself for the incoming inundation of fan art from people all around the world! All I can say is: You asked for it!Wink

meantime, I'm feeling just a tad like one of these guys or anyone of their 23 kindred spirits EvilTongueLaugh

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Sep 19 2014, 3:26am)

Fionniel
The Shire

Sep 19 2014, 3:52am

Post #122 of 202 (9128 views)
Shortcut
     Agree with you, totally, about Thrandy and Legy in the new TBOTFA banner ,VValar. [In reply to]  

Legolas looks more like his TLOTR days in this banner. Strong, determined Elven focus; and stunning to look at ! HeartBut his daddy ! Wow ! Blush THAT is what I call one majestic king supremely in control of his situation.HeartHeartHeart He personifies immense vitality, strength, intellect; focus and determination and great purpose. I love how he is commanding that scene with cautious, kingly confidence but not over-confidence. A character trait that, no doubt, has helped him ensure the survival of his Elves and himself over his many centuries.( Unlike his tragic dad, Oropher.)

Thranduil is such a fascinating conundrum.

Yes, the hair ! Dad and son ! They both have the most captivating, long, perfect, platinum coloured hair. Shocked I love that he is in all silvery-grey colours, too. Suits his affinity with star light. Loving his exquisite silvery-grey cloak and armour. Looks so good on him ! Elven masculine beauty.HeartHeart
I wonder what Thranduil is looking at behind him? Gandalf intervening ? The approach of the Orcs and Goblins?

Roll on December. So looking forward to this final showdown.Smile

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 19 2014, 4:10am

Post #123 of 202 (9147 views)
Shortcut
     trying my darnest for sure, and that Thranduil's SWORD fan art!!! [In reply to]  

I will REMEMBER!Tongue

In Reply To
I think it won't matter to Thranduil which sword he uses. Btw, aren't both swords similar to each other? That way it wouldn't really matter which sword he carries with him. It makes sense them both being exact twins, but I haven't seen any decent closeups with his two swords in combat.
The sword has it's own fanart as well
http://i1277.photobucket.com/...lIII_zps28576db7.png

Agree. Thranduil's an UBER ELF, not some fussy Man who claims he can't swat the ball just cos the racket's not the one he's used to.

... that fan art gallery!!! THUD* what a find! The first 2 alone are just HeartHeartHeart Thanks, VValar!

In love with this

And then this uber cool profile... oh my... *THUDDERLY THUD*

*save happy spree*

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Sep 19 2014, 4:11am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 19 2014, 4:12am

Post #124 of 202 (9067 views)
Shortcut
     Well, the truth will be in the chapter listing, I think [In reply to]  

so patience, rittle gelasshoppaEvil

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 19 2014, 4:13am

Post #125 of 202 (9106 views)
Shortcut
     Yeah, LP misled us [In reply to]  

Tongue Wonder how he came by it though...

=======

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.