The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the middle-of-September reading thread

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 16 2014, 2:06pm

Post #1 of 16 (578 views)
Shortcut
It's the middle-of-September reading thread Can't Post

I've managed to sit out a bit of the renovation disruption with Alexander McCall Smith's The Sunday Philosophy Club, the first in his Isabel Dalhousie series. I know someone who likes this series better than The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency series, which I adore. Since Philosophy is set in Edinburgh, which I also adore, I thought I'd give it a try.

So far so good. Isabel sees a young man fall from "the gods", the upper tier of seats, in a concert hall, and becomes interested in whether he fell or was pushed. Not that this plot is more than a thin thread running through the book, which is more McCall Smith's musing on life and ethics and exploring the lives of Isabel and her friends and relations. I'm particularly enjoying the Scottish names and settings with which I'm already familiar.

It's as though he set out to do a series that was in direct contrast to the No 1 Ladies books. He certainly succeeded there. Philosophy isn't without its charms but it doesn't have the whimsical charm of No 1 Ladies. I'm not saying this is a bad thing---in fact, my friend who likes Dalhousie better finds No 1 Ladies to be not charming but paternalistic.

OTOH, I know other people who prefer No 1 Ladies with its warmth, both physical and emotional, so YMMV.

I'm enjoying Philosophy and keep wondering how McCall Smith can keep drawing me on to the next chapter when so little actually happens!

What have you been reading?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 16 2014, 2:21pm

Post #2 of 16 (504 views)
Shortcut
The House of the Sleeping Beauties, a novella by Yasunari Kawabata [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd been wanting to read this for a while now, so I was very excited when I finally got my hands on it. Few authors have had such a profound effect on me as Kawabata - he came into my life a little over two years ago, a few months before Tolkien (a coincidence?). But I digress... Anyway, I was not disappointed. Perhaps not as good as Snow Country and Kawabata's other masterpieces, Sleeping Beauties is still far from a letdown. It's classical Kawabata: poignant and captivating, somber and delicate at the same time. There's something purifying about reading his works; they're heavy, but rewarding.

Written in sparse and poetic language, in Kawabata's typical fashion, Sleeping Beauties tells the story of Eguchi, an old and lonely man, who begins visiting the titular house, an establishment where old men pay to sleep besides young maidens that have been narcotized. A premise such as this can easily put off those not familiar with Kawabata by being prone to make one jump to wrong conclusions. Although undeniably erotic at times, it's nowhere near to being explicitly sexual in content. Kawabata views sexuality, one the recurring topics of his works, as it is: a natural, inseparable part of life. In Sleeping Beauties it's, on the contrary to what the story's premise might suggest, merely one of the secondary themes. Here the central topics are, once again typically to Kawabata, life and death, old age and youth, loneliness and the search for closeness, beauty and its fleeting nature.

The narrative jumps with elegant easiness between past and present, bringing before Old Eguchi's and the reader's eyes images from the man's past, brought on by the young girls he lies next to. He has lived a good life, yet his heart is uneasy now that his days are coming to an end.

And around the old men, new flesh, young flesh, beautiful flesh was forever being born. Were not the longing of the sad old men for the unfinished dream, the regret for days lost without ever being had, concealed in the secret of this house?

I often amuse myself with trying to describe a book I've read or a film I've watch in one word (be it either descriptive of the book/film or its effect on me). The House of the Sleeping Beauties is... haunting.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2014, 2:24pm

Post #3 of 16 (500 views)
Shortcut
Smith of Wootton Major [In reply to] Can't Post

I was cleaning out a bookcase and found this little hardcover gem--I thought I'd lost it, but it was just jammed between my Civil War books and my Greek lexicon, so no wonder I hadn't seen it for a while. Tongue It was my first gift from a member of my in-laws-to-be when Mr. R-D and I were dating. My future brother-in-law worked in a rare-book store and, upon hearing I was a Tolkien geek, nabbed this for me. Evil

Just started Augustine's "On the Two Cities," which is basically selections from The City of God. Also found on the aforementioned bookcase. Mr. R-D bought it at a yard sale, apparently, because it has character--lots of water stains and notes written all over the inside. (We are both suckers for old books with character. Blush) I'm finding it very dense so far, and a lot less interesting than Confessions. Or it could just be that my skull is a bit dense instead. Tongue

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Annael
Immortal

Sep 16 2014, 4:14pm

Post #4 of 16 (496 views)
Shortcut
I adore Isabel Dalhousie [In reply to] Can't Post

she overthinks everything, just like me Wink

After our discussion last week I had to re-read "Friday's Child" by Georgette Heyer, which is even better and funnier than I remembered.

Checked out "Olive Kitteridge" by Elizabeth Strout from the library at a friend's recommendation. One story in and I'm well and truly hooked.

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2014, 4:31pm

Post #5 of 16 (492 views)
Shortcut
Unbroken [In reply to] Can't Post

Biography of Louis Zamperini, 1936 Olympian, WWII survivor of 40-odd days lost at sea along with two companions after his B-24 bomber crashed into the Pacific and also a survivor of horrific conditions in a Japanese POW camp. This is a riveting story of courage, determination and survival. This is becoming a movie produced by Angelina Jolie to be released in December. I will go see it, but I can't say I expect to enjoy it.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2014, 4:39pm

Post #6 of 16 (487 views)
Shortcut
Friday's Child [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad you got to revisit it and enjoyed it again! Smile

It is one GH book that hasn't improved for me as I get older--I'm afraid I find Sherry annoying now (stop boxing Hero's ears!!!) and Hero silly. Tongue (And I feel terribly sorry for that poor friend of Lady Saltash's whom she fixes up with Hero!) But I enjoy Sherry's three bachelor friends (Nemesis! Sly)--oh, and Sherry's tiger--so much that it cancels the annoyance out overall. But I can't approach it with the same innocent enjoyment I once did, unfortunately. It's a shame to get older and lose that uncritical spirit I once had. Unsure

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 16 2014, 5:03pm

Post #7 of 16 (492 views)
Shortcut
Lord of the Rings, for the first time in ten years. [In reply to] Can't Post

By 2000 I had already read it about 20 times, and then in the next four years I read it five more times (once in Spanish) and really, really overdid it, and had to step away for a decade. Now I'm listening to the dear robot voice on my Kindle read it out loud, which forces me to go slow. I'm still, even after so many readings, noticing new things in the landscape.

And laughing about things that made us laugh ten years ago. I just this past hour heard the phrase "rick, cot and tree" and remembered how Rick Cottontree was a mythical character here in the early days. And of course Aragon and Eomer going in the van.

Anyway, I'm so glad that enough time has passed to make it fresh again, and that technology is allowing me to experience it this new way. I read it out loud to my kids 25 years ago, and I had often regretted that I didn't make a tape at the time. But now the machines can read to us.

I'm also still moseying through "Packing for Mars" by Mary Roach, mostly in the bathroom. Which is appropriate, because she gives us a lot of graphic detail about how astronauts go to the bathroom, so to speak. It's hilarious, but I find I take it better in small doses. Best footnotes since Terry Pratchett.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 16 2014, 7:25pm

Post #8 of 16 (481 views)
Shortcut
Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern [In reply to] Can't Post

I bought this book as a teenager so it's aged a bit by now, but it's still holding together OK (like me!) Wink

I'm enjoying reading about Pern again, even though I know there will be tears at the end.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Meneldor
Valinor

Sep 16 2014, 9:29pm

Post #9 of 16 (473 views)
Shortcut
Betrayal [In reply to] Can't Post

Another of Julian Stockwin's Kydd novels. It's 1806 and Kydd follows Commodore Popham from Cape Town to Buenos Aires, expanding the British Empire. Not a lot of broadsides in this one, but still no shortage of action and intrigue. Like most of these novels, I'm getting an education on aspects of the Napoleonic wars that I'm not familiar with.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

a.s.
Valinor

Sep 16 2014, 10:27pm

Post #10 of 16 (465 views)
Shortcut
me, too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that series as much as the No. 1 Ladies series, only for different reasons.

I loved Olive Kitteridge, as well. I read Burgess Boys last year, also recommended.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Sep 17 2014, 1:14am

Post #11 of 16 (459 views)
Shortcut
I just finished "The Wedding" by Nicholas Sparks. [In reply to] Can't Post

I know it's a romance book and people tend to thing he's sappy but I was super bored and I'd never read one and it was just lying around. Cool
I have now read all the Game of Thrones books!!!!!SmileWinkSlyCool
I am waiting on a book from the library so I'm in limbo for a while. Evil

"And so they stood on the walls of the city of Gondor, and a great wind rose and blew, and their hair, raven and golden, streamed out mingling in the air."

(This post was edited by DaughterofLaketown on Sep 17 2014, 1:15am)

Kim
Valinor

Sep 17 2014, 3:47am

Post #12 of 16 (450 views)
Shortcut
That was such a good book [In reply to] Can't Post

He had such an incredible life, it read like fiction, one amazing experience after another. But I don't know if I'll be able to see the movie - it was hard enough reading parts of it.

Join us every weekend for The Hobbit Chapter of the Week discussions!

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 17 2014, 4:23am

Post #13 of 16 (457 views)
Shortcut
Finishing up The Moonstone... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've confirmed for myself that I don't particularly like this kind of book. Or perhaps it's the discussion of this kind of book I dislike, more specifically. Ah, well.

I was thrilled to be done with Miss Clack, having purposely finished her narrative very quickly. Cool

(This post was edited by cats16 on Sep 17 2014, 4:24am)

Mikah
Lorien

Sep 18 2014, 1:26am

Post #14 of 16 (441 views)
Shortcut
Rogues...George RR Martin [In reply to] Can't Post

Right now I am reading Rogues, edited by Martin. It is a collection of short stories about, you guessed it! Rogues! I have read the first four and so far my favorite is the first story "Tough Times all Over" by Joe Abercrombie. I am really liking the book. If you are looking for a bit of fantasy fiction, this may be something you want to pick up.

Up next I have "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss. I have heard many good things about this book, so we shall see.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 18 2014, 9:05pm

Post #15 of 16 (430 views)
Shortcut
"The Name of the Wind" [In reply to] Can't Post

That book gets such rave reviews on Amazon on Goodreads, I figured I couldn't go wrong, but I'm finding it pretty dull after reading 25% of it (my kindle dutifully informs me). Not much action or magic, and not a lot of character development. I'm to the point of skimming through pages now rather than reading every word, and I'll probably give up soon.

Overall, it's similar to A Wizard of Earthsea in being more about someone's life and not having tons of magic and action, but the former is concise, and somehow I'll never forget Ged. I've already forgotten the lead character's name in Name of the Wind. Oh, well, nothing ventured, ...

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2014, 2:02pm

Post #16 of 16 (413 views)
Shortcut
Finally had the guts to finish A Fault in Our Stars [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh man... I can see why the Teen/tween readership is so high with this novel. It was amazing! Hazel sat next to me on the couch while I read it making snarky comments. I knew what was coming and I still bawled, not for the loss but for the... loss... the loss of innocence, the loss of carefree. Parents have such a different perspective once they cross that threshold out of the delivery room. We live a different life than before. We try as best we can (hopefully) to understand and help and nurture but just as each generation sees the world through different lenses, kids have different things that pull on them, and kids with chronic or terminal illness have that all distilled down into fiery moments of knowing. The rest of us get our Ah Ha moments in small doses, but these kids learn on a steep curve.

Darn you, John Green, you jerk. You did it to me with that book. Now my nose is stuffed up and will be for days. And now I have to go back and reread all the dialogue I wrote for my young adult character and throw most of it out the window. Yes, I know you said in your NaNo pep talk, "Give yourself permission to suck" OK, I admit it and I know I will get better with practice, but geez... did you have to raise the bar that high? SmileTongue

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.