The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Royd Tolkien to be Christopher Tolkien's successor

Beleg Strongbow Cuthalion
Bree

Sep 18 2014, 4:12pm

Post #1 of 17 (2909 views)
Shortcut
Royd Tolkien to be Christopher Tolkien's successor Can't Post

Hi everyone, I'm Beleg Cuthalion! I'm just bringing up the subject: apparently Royd Tolkien is going to be Christopher Tolkien's successor...which means 99% that we'll be seeing The Silmarillion!

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 18 2014, 4:45pm

Post #2 of 17 (2390 views)
Shortcut
Your source, please :)? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 18 2014, 5:02pm

Post #3 of 17 (2444 views)
Shortcut
I would think... [In reply to] Can't Post

...one of CT's children more likely, or even his wife who is already on the estate board. Though a good prospect is JRRT's grandson Michael George Tolkien who is also already on the board. JRRT's daughter Priscilla is a possible maybe.

I don't think Royd would even be a long shot, but I'm not exactly a Tolkien Scholar. I'm sure those guys will chime in in a bit

"My friend,” said Gandalf, “you had horses, and deeds of arms, and the free fields; but she, born in the body of a maid, had a spirit and courage at least the match of yours. Yet she was doomed to wait upon an old man, whom she loved as a father, and watch him falling into a mean dishonoured dotage; and her part seemed to her more ignoble than that of the staff he leaned on.
“Think you that Wormtongue had poison only for Théoden's ears? ‘Dotard! What is the house of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek, and their brats roll on the floor among their dogs?’ Have you not heard those words before? Saruman spoke them, the teacher of Wormtongue. Though I do not doubt that Wormtongue at home wrapped their meaning in terms more cunning. My lord, if your sister's love for you, and her will still bent to her duty, had not restrained her lips; you might have heard even such things as these escape them. But who knows what she spoke to the darkness, alone, in the bitter watches of the night, when all her life seemed shrinking, and the walls of her bower closing in about her, a hutch to trammel some wild thing in?”

“I'm gonna wash Rohan right outa my hair,
I'm gonna wash Rohan right outa my hair,
And I’ll be on my way!

“If a land don't understand you,
No matter how many regimes,
Saddle up, do not wait,
Don’t waste time at the weapontake.
Muster out of that roll call.
Ride Windfola out to your dreams!

“If the house of Eorl is nothing more,
Than a barn where brigands drink,
Their brats and dogs roll on the floor,
Then you know what the door is for,
Muster out of that roll call,
Wash Rohan into the sink!

“I'm gonna wash Rohan right outa my hair,
And I’ll be on my way!"

-Rodgers and Hammerstein, The Lord of the Rings

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Sep 18 2014, 5:07pm)

Magradhaid
The Shire

Sep 18 2014, 11:03pm

Post #4 of 17 (2377 views)
Shortcut
Adam? [In reply to] Can't Post

I am also skeptical. One would think that they might select someone more in line with CT's philosophy. Perhaps Adam Tolkien, who collaborated with him on Children of Húrin, and has translated some of HoME into French? Though I didn't realize Michael is on the estate board.

At any rate, it will be a huge loss when CT passes. I hope he gets to enjoy another decade or two of retirement*!

*though he seems to still be involved in collecting/sending linguistic material to the Editorial Team when he comes across more. I don't know how hands-on he is currently with regard to the affairs of the estate.

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2014, 2:54am

Post #5 of 17 (2345 views)
Shortcut
Still highly unlikely [In reply to] Can't Post

Even if Royd Tolkien is CT's successor (which I doubt), CT will probably have put a stipulation in his will instructing his successor not to sell the rights to The Silm. We are almost certainly not going to see a film adaptation of The Silm until it enters the public domain, 70 years after CT's death, which is hopefully still a way's away.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2014, 2:26pm

Post #6 of 17 (2242 views)
Shortcut
I'll believe it when i see it. // [In reply to] Can't Post

moreorless
Gondor

Sep 19 2014, 4:18pm

Post #7 of 17 (2266 views)
Shortcut
I must admit I'v always been specitcal of "never" for the Sil.. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hi everyone, I'm Beleg Cuthalion! I'm just bringing up the subject: apparently Royd Tolkien is going to be Christopher Tolkien's successor...which means 99% that we'll be seeing The Silmarillion!

Whilst I can definitely understand CT's dislike of the mirky world of Hollywood to me "never" has always seemed a little unrealistic.

At the moment the Sil rights would I'd guess be more like the LOTR rights back in the 60's, That is bought as an "investment" by some middle man looking for a profit at the Tolkien estates expense. If on the other hand we see any kind of serious attempt to adapt the Sil then the value of the rights would likely increase exponentially.

I'm not a believer in "every man has his price" in terms of personal wealth but when your talking a charity there IMHO comes a time when you have to look at how much good you could do with that money.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2014, 5:30pm

Post #8 of 17 (2222 views)
Shortcut
Can you tell us where you heard this? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2014, 8:53pm

Post #9 of 17 (2234 views)
Shortcut
We shall see... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't suppose you have a source for this little tidbit would you?Smile

"Home is behind the world ahead
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade"

geordie
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2014, 8:57pm

Post #10 of 17 (2235 views)
Shortcut
I haven't heard anything to this effect - [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd say Beleg's source (whatever it may be) is at fault.

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 19 2014, 9:07pm

Post #11 of 17 (2245 views)
Shortcut
I've made a sincere effort to track down any buzz about this [In reply to] Can't Post

and have failed completely. It doesn't show up in Google News and it doesn't show up in searches limited updates on the web in the last month for "Royd Tolkien" and "Christopher".

Except for an opinion piece saying that Royd had almost hope of getting inheriting any control over the Tolkien Estate.

But here is Royd and his brother Mike's ice bucket challenge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU-t1djx8T8

I will refer anyone who missed it to Kel's interview with Royd which really touched me in regards to his relationship with his brother.
http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=727112#727112

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

malickfan
Gondor

Sep 19 2014, 9:13pm

Post #12 of 17 (2233 views)
Shortcut
Source? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd personally be rather surprised if that were the case, given the stance the current board of the Tolkien Estate have towards the films, and their seeming reluctance to go public on anything like this.

Surely such an important announcement would be made public only after Christopher Tolkien's eventual passing?

I'm not sure if Royd Tolkien plays any role in the way the Tolkien Estate is governed, though perhaps having 'New Blood' at the helm, further removed from Tolkien's generation could be a good thing...

In anycase...isn't it possible as Tolkien's literary executor (and as I've heard, co writer of The Silmarillion under UK copyright Law) Christopher Tolkien could set up his own trust deed for the works he's edited?

Personally I'm inclined to think either Adam Tolkien, or Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull would be the most likely candidates to succeed C.Tolkien.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2014, 9:46pm

Post #13 of 17 (2236 views)
Shortcut
I'm just picturing in my mind [In reply to] Can't Post

-the reaction of Wayne and Christina to that notion.

Smile

malickfan
Gondor

Sep 19 2014, 10:24pm

Post #14 of 17 (2218 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

...from the little I know of Hammond and Scull beyond their excellent work and well deserved reputation in Tolkien Scholarship, I gather they would be...honoured?

Suggesting Hammond and Scull was purely a random suggestion on my part, although I'm inclined to think Christopher would name a successor as literary executor from within the family, if he were to pick someone someone from outside, it would need to be someone with prior experience and a close personal connection to the material...if that were the case...then who better?

Smile

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 20 2014, 10:56am

Post #15 of 17 (2224 views)
Shortcut
When 'Children of Hurin' first came out.... [In reply to] Can't Post

The signing event at Waterstones in London was attended by Christopher Tolkien's son Adam on his father's behalf. He spoke about the book and - so far as I remember - had worked with his father on it and had also translated some other Tolkien books.

I'd have thought he was a far more likely candidate.

Jeremy
Rivendell

Sep 22 2014, 11:42pm

Post #16 of 17 (2115 views)
Shortcut
Aw [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Even if Royd Tolkien is CT's successor (which I doubt), CT will probably have put a stipulation in his will instructing his successor not to sell the rights to The Silm. We are almost certainly not going to see a film adaptation of The Silm until it enters the public domain, 70 years after CT's death, which is hopefully still a way's away.

If that's true, hopefully they can figure out how to extend age by then.

(This post was edited by Jeremy on Sep 22 2014, 11:42pm)

Mog

Sep 24 2014, 2:01am

Post #17 of 17 (2197 views)
Shortcut
I'd rather not.... [In reply to] Can't Post

If I'm to be honest I don't think I want the Silmarillion to make it to either the big or small screen. It'll never match what's already in my head.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.