The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Is that Radagast's staff?

Imladris18
Lorien

Sep 18 2014, 3:16pm

Post #1 of 6 (1531 views)
Shortcut
Is that Radagast's staff? Can't Post

Haven't seen this discussed anywhere. I count 2 wizards, and only 1 staff, and to me it appears to be Radagast's.

Greypilgrim
Bree

Sep 18 2014, 5:16pm

Post #2 of 6 (1105 views)
Shortcut
Yes it is [In reply to] Can't Post

I raised this in a post just after AUJ came out I had noticed that Radagast's staff was Gandalf's from the beginning of FOTR. Other people also have raised this point. There are now a number of Articles on the web proving this. Besides if you have watched the teaser trailer for the last film you will have seen Gandalf holding this staff at the BOTFA. It turns out that Gandalf's staff gets destroyed by Sauron in film 2 and at some point in film 3 (probably early on) Gandalf will take Radagast's staff as a replacement. This raises the important question of Radagast's fate. Not many people believed me at first. Anyway here is the link to my original post-

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_threaded;post=556900;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;guest=120689403

(This post was edited by Greypilgrim on Sep 18 2014, 5:19pm)

Imladris18
Lorien

Sep 18 2014, 5:21pm

Post #3 of 6 (1064 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the reply. [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps I worded my question to be misleading, but what I meant was that this is a fairly recent photo, and it appears that Gandalf has Radagast's staff while they are both present; therefore it doesn't appear that Gandalf acquires Radagast's staff because Radagast dies.

Greypilgrim
Bree

Sep 18 2014, 5:27pm

Post #4 of 6 (1053 views)
Shortcut
Yep- [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes it was worded as if you didn't know about that staff but anyway it doesn't matter!

I personally have never believed that Radagast will die. I think he will simply return to Rhosgobel to keep watch over the forest again and eventually he will forget who he is and become a sort of forest shaman. Almost part of the forest itself. John Howe says something similar about Radagast in the AUJ extended edition documentaries.

Tolkien never said he died either but I believe I am correct in saying that after his brief encounter with Gandalf in FOTR scouts were sent to Rhosgobel and they couldn't find him anywhere- he had simply vanished.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Sep 19 2014, 4:26pm

Post #5 of 6 (850 views)
Shortcut
Maybe Radagast will be sent to the Misty Mountains? [In reply to] Can't Post

He could be sent back to use his bird speaking to convince Gwahir to join the battle. He could turn up toward the end of the battle with an army of eagles.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2014, 8:13pm

Post #6 of 6 (829 views)
Shortcut
That would be really cool [In reply to] Can't Post

In the Lego sets it appears a huge orc ballista wich I supose is to fight eagles.

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.