Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Independence of Scotland - yay or nay?
Poll: Independence of Scotland - yay or nay?
Yay!
Nay!
Don't know.
View Results (37 votes)

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 18 2014, 11:36am

Post #1 of 16 (1774 views)
Shortcut
Independence of Scotland - yay or nay? Can't Post

Maybe some Scottish folks are around who could give us their personal experiences and feelings regarding that important day for Scotland (either way) today.

I think the one thing that all can agree on is that it is a good thing this matter is settled in a democratic vote. Such matters were solved much more violently between England and Scotland over the centuries and still are in other parts of the world (even Europe).

So I think we can open this poll here without the fear of over-heated fights :)

As far as LotR and TH-connected people are concerned, I saw Ken Stott and Annie Lennox are supporting the "Yes" campaign. Ian McKellen is in the "no" camp.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Sep 18 2014, 11:43am)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2014, 12:13pm

Post #2 of 16 (1630 views)
Shortcut
I was watching people go to the polls on BBC America this morning [In reply to] Can't Post

When I think about what is at stake and how this same question is being answered with bullets instead of ballots in other places in the world, it makes me tear up a bit to see people heading peacefully to the polls in Scotland. I'm not Scottish and don't even have Scottish heritage so I have no opinion either way. I'm just glad the Scottish people get to express theirs in a peaceful way.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 18 2014, 12:41pm

Post #3 of 16 (1621 views)
Shortcut
No. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not a big fan of Gordon Brown, but his speech brings a tear to the eye. Better together. In a world of current turmoil, we should stick together.

And I'm not sure whether the decision to desolve a 307 year Union should be decided by only 4% of the population, since the impacts affect every British person. The United Kingdom is the most successful union the world has ever seen (and probably will ever see). It owes its success to the variety of its peoples and their tolerance of one another's differences. If it ain't broke don't fix it. It deserves to continue.

Despite this, my family in Scotland are voting yes.

Whatever the outcome, tomorrow will mark history for the United Kingdom.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Sep 18 2014, 12:56pm)

Annael
Immortal

Sep 18 2014, 4:06pm

Post #4 of 16 (1600 views)
Shortcut
I'm ambivalent [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got a strong Scottish (MacGregor) heritage, as well as being descended from folks who came over on the Mayflower seeking religious freedom from England's state religion, and so there's a part of me that wants to see Scotland as an independent nation. And certainly the trend in the last few decades is away from "empires" to separate countries, as with the breakup of the former Soviet Union. Yes, these breakups cause problems, but one could argue that the roots of the problem lie in the original takeover. Would we have had the conflict between Muslims & Hindus in India/Pakistan if the Brits had never ruled India? And what if they'd stayed out of the Middle East? The Vietnam War could be seen as a consequence of the French domination of the area. So, while I can see an independent Scotland as creating a lot of problems in the short term, the long term results may be . . . better?

Empires crumble, we know this from history, especially when they extend too far. (Americans need to remember this whenever they argue that it's OUR personal responsibility to maintain "freedom" in the entire world.)

Also, I just like the idea of regions getting to run things the way they like. Up here in Ecotopia, I'm not particularly happy about the influence of the opposite corner of the US on what is taught in our schools, women's access to health care, etc.

On the other hand, I see the world moving toward a global identity instead of national ones. The Internet has broken down borders in a way no one could have foreseen 50 years ago. We've had plenty of lessons in the reality of the global economy and global effects on the environment from what happens in just one part of the world.

So it's complicated, and I answered "don't know." We'll just have to see how it plays out.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 18 2014, 7:14pm

Post #5 of 16 (1586 views)
Shortcut
Same. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
When I think about what is at stake and how this same question is being answered with bullets instead of ballots in other places in the world, it makes me tear up a bit to see people heading peacefully to the polls in Scotland.

Just look at north and south Sudan, as an example of a separation with violence. It's heartening that Scotland and the United Kingdom can be an example of heated political debate and national individualism within a peaceful process.

I don't remember who said it, but one definition of democracy is the ability to change a government without violence. We're seeing pure democracy in action today (albeit it's about more than which party is in government). Smile

acheron
Gondor

Sep 18 2014, 11:00pm

Post #6 of 16 (1580 views)
Shortcut
looks like there was a lot of turnout [In reply to] Can't Post

CNN reporting 110% turnout. As they say on Twitter, #journalism #math

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 18 2014, 11:31pm

Post #7 of 16 (1559 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

That's an epic data entry fail. I'm sure they meant 42 and 48, but this is far more entertaining. Note to poll runners: there are some instances where rounding up is not appropriate. Cool

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 18 2014, 11:32pm

Post #8 of 16 (1565 views)
Shortcut
Hah! Love it! [In reply to] Can't Post

BTW a polling booth in Falkirk has closed early because they had a 100% turnout of the enrolled voters.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Sep 18 2014, 11:57pm

Post #9 of 16 (1557 views)
Shortcut
Yep, I feel too conflicted to decide. [In reply to] Can't Post

Part of me has joked for years about going over there to free Scotland, but another part of me doesn't know what's best for those actually living there and is Scottish-American enough to not want to tell them what to do.

I've also just discovered another genetic line going back to the old Scottish kings, so it's been a wild week already.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2014, 1:09am

Post #10 of 16 (1550 views)
Shortcut
Is anyone outside of Scotland watching the votes come in? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm watching on BBC World News. It's fascinating! It's like watching election night in the US with all the tallies and graphs and talking heads pontificating on what it means for the entire result after 2 % of the votes are in. What I think is amazing is the turnout numbers - anywhere for 75% to 98%. Whatever you decide - you go Scotland!

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2014, 2:27am

Post #11 of 16 (1547 views)
Shortcut
Don't know enough about it to say, but [In reply to] Can't Post

Alan Cumming wrote this piece for the New York Times, and said pretty much the same thing when i saw him on Hardball earlier today, and he does make a persuasive case.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Sep 19 2014, 6:39am

Post #12 of 16 (1530 views)
Shortcut
Both Mr Kel and I were ambivalent on this one [In reply to] Can't Post

Mr Kel is half Scot (his Dad) so for both of us, our hearts said Yes, but head-wise (Mr Kel is an Accountant) were thinking No.

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 19 2014, 7:29am

Post #13 of 16 (1523 views)
Shortcut
Well, I feel a little bit relieved. [In reply to] Can't Post

From a personal perspective, I would have disliked seeing the country I lived in for almost two years breaking up. I loved how I was asked everywhere - whether on English, Scottish, Welsh or Irish soil - "How do you like it in the UK? Why are you in the UK? etc" .

The future of an independent Scotland seemed rather vague and uncertain in the end.

I hope Westminster now sees what went wrong in the past and that they will have to make their promises from this morning a reality as soon as possible - for Scotland, but also for Wales and N-Ireland.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2014, 2:42pm

Post #14 of 16 (1505 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, me too... [In reply to] Can't Post

And i hope that the strong showing and close results will show England that those "other" countries in the U.K. need to play a more significant role in the political process, and have more say in what goes on in their part of the commonwealth. It seems that England's 'attitude' towards Scotland, Ireland and Wales have a lot to do with the unrest, for lack of a better word.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2014, 3:12pm

Post #15 of 16 (1499 views)
Shortcut
I'm just so impressed with the whole thing [In reply to] Can't Post

People voting in record numbers, polls open and closed without incident, no violence reported after the results were announced (that I've seen on BBC World News or CNN in the States). It is all so... civilized. I heard some heated rhetoric from both sides and some trolls crawled out from under rocks to make comments online, but all-in-all it was what I would want to see for any country. I'm sure I am missing some of the underlying politics as I'm not up on all the nuances of each party, but the behavior of the Scottish people is what I applaud. They had their debate, they put their case to the people, the people turned out to vote and have their say, the votes were counted and now everyone is getting behind the result and looking to what comes next. I just can't express how happy I am to see a system work like that.

We're having Shepard's Pie and Oatcakes in their honor tonight for dinner!

(This post was edited by Dame Ioreth on Sep 19 2014, 3:13pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 20 2014, 3:33pm

Post #16 of 16 (1510 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I hope Westminster now sees what went wrong in the past and that they will have to make their promises from this morning a reality as soon as possible - for Scotland, but also for Wales and N-Ireland.

As I said in my post above, family of mine who still live in Scotland voted yes. They have been very vocal at how disappointed they have been with the result. There has also been civil unrest between rival Unionists and independence supporters in Glasgow, which is pathetic. I believe that if our country is too move forward, we need to stop dividing ourselves into categories. It doesn't matter any more if you voted Yes or No, if you're one of the 45% or 55%, or if you live in Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland or England. We need to be the 100% and work together to have a louder voice and get the change we want not only in Scotland, but across the United Kingdom.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Sep 20 2014, 3:37pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.