The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit: DoS Extended Edition TRAILER... THRAIN CONFIRMED
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 18 2014, 4:51am

Post #26 of 93 (1975 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, lol Kim with all due massive respect to Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

I gotta go with the images, tho without Tolkien (and PJ and WETA) there wouldn't BE this Thorin.Heart

And I would add to the Professor's quote that powerful imagination and fantasy inspire, with themes and ideas that can thread through real life.Cool

Hó , Það sé ég föður minn
Hó , Það sé ég móður mína, og Hó, Það sé ég bræður mínir og systur mínar
Hó , Það sé ég mitt fólk aftur í byrjun
Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar
Hvar hugrakkir mun lifa að eilífu

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 18 2014, 5:06am

Post #27 of 93 (1969 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, didn't know about any of this [In reply to] Can't Post

I am glad, because in trolling around I had read a comment from Graham Mctavish - something Richard had told him. That they were the only ones who would ever know what it was like, I guess re the long hours, the weight of the costumes, the green screens, the heat.

That just struck me because tho all the dwarves have talked about the smell and the heaviness and having to act to tennis balls, it just made me think of what the reality of that is like. So am happy to hear that RA is seeing how all that hard work and even getting ill from it all at times is something to be amazed and proud of.Smile

Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Sep 18 2014, 6:31am

Post #28 of 93 (1923 views)
Shortcut
Agreed but I understand why it happens [In reply to] Can't Post

With the LOTR EE's I remember each November enjoying the much improved cut and each December knowing an improved cut was on its way ! That was particularly true of FOTR EE and TT TE.

However given AUJ was roundly criticised by critics for being two slow in the first hour and the same critics thought DOS was an improvement I understand PJ's difficulties.

I am of course thrilled at Thrain's inclusion who is both key to the story telling (Gandalf's journey to find an heir to deal with Erebor, the handing over of the map and the key and the building of tension toward the Sauron reveal) but also backstory for his son's arc.

We will of course be faced a month later with the BOFA's T E which we are told is the shortest film. Whislt we may lose some of the iron hills perespective/back again/lake town consequences master alfrid which are not key to the film story telling the two elements i am hoping for are :-

1) Action scenes which retain their story telling virtues rather than become over long and gratuitous.

2) Each characters arc being properly exploited and journeyed.

After all we are there it just has to happen before our eyes.

My Dear Bilbo something is the matter with you! you are not the same hobbit that you were.

(This post was edited by Michelle Johnston on Sep 18 2014, 6:32am)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Sep 18 2014, 6:54am

Post #29 of 93 (1932 views)
Shortcut
pickups and stuff [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm guessing they used the Thrain pickups to sort of "redesign" Thrain. They kept the idea of his eye being wounded but obviously not to the extent of the original character design we see in AUJ. I guess they just assumed people wouldn't notice since Thrain is only briefly shown in the first movie. And maybe the potential flashback will show another updated Thrain fighting alongside Thorin.

It still would have been much better if they had just stuck with what they had originally done...Pirate

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Sep 18 2014, 6:55am)

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 18 2014, 7:19am

Post #30 of 93 (1918 views)
Shortcut
If it should end up being a major design change... [In reply to] Can't Post

... this would be pretty sloppy and careless on their part, imho. No reason for it at all.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 18 2014, 8:15am

Post #31 of 93 (1842 views)
Shortcut
Good to hear. [In reply to] Can't Post

Everything looks good from here. Smile

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Sep 18 2014, 9:02am

Post #32 of 93 (1843 views)
Shortcut
What careless analysis on your part [In reply to] Can't Post

[reply]... this would be pretty sloppy and careless on their part, imho. No reason for it at all.[/reply]

Of course there was a reason for it. Do you think they just forgot what he looked like in the first one?

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 18 2014, 9:17am

Post #33 of 93 (1821 views)
Shortcut
I indeed used the wrong words. [In reply to] Can't Post

As I am sure it was done deliberately.

But I simply cannot see what reason would justify this. It is not like it is a major design change for a character that was not "finished" in its design or even its conception as it was the case with Gollum. It simply looks sloppy like this, imho. It is a different actor, okay... noone would complain that the nose looks a bit different to fit the face of the respecitive actors. But why change the size of the tattoos and especially the eye?

Unless the eye turns out to be done later via CGI... but I am not sure why they would use unfinished material as the EE must have been finished for quite a while now.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Sep 18 2014, 9:22am)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Sep 18 2014, 10:05am

Post #34 of 93 (1843 views)
Shortcut
Best thing about it for me… [In reply to] Can't Post

More Beorn, and a good focus on the other key characters (Bilbo, Thorin and Gandalf). More on Dol Guldur, which I felt was very rushed in DoS, and which I find intriguing.

No Legolas!

(I can't say I'm that hung up about the inclusion of Thrain – and therefore his eye – either way, since I don't even remember him from the book.)

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Sep 18 2014, 10:10am)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 18 2014, 10:58am

Post #35 of 93 (1764 views)
Shortcut
Yes, he tweeted that from New York last night. [In reply to] Can't Post

At the Soundtrack Studios there. I wonder if that's the last bit of ADR they needed for BOtFA? But he seemed extremely pleased with what he'd seen. Smile

(Oh, and you might like to know that he's sporting a trimmed Thorin beard. Wink)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2014, 1:04pm

Post #36 of 93 (1735 views)
Shortcut
But was the DG sequence re-filmed with Sher? [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought Sir Antony was brought in to film something for the DoS Prologue, re: Thrain's disappearance at Azanulbizar.

We've seen Dol Guldur Thrain since the very first teaser trailer for AUJ so wouldn't that be Mike Mizrahi still?

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Shagrat
Gondor

Sep 18 2014, 1:08pm

Post #37 of 93 (1721 views)
Shortcut
Yes it was [In reply to] Can't Post

In a production diary for the 2013 reshoots we saw them filming parts of the Dol Guldur sequence, with that overhead shot of Thrain leading Gandalf through Dol Guldur.

With all due respect of Mizrahi, you don't get an actor of Sher's calibre in just to re-film a few seconds fighting outside Moria with (probably) no dialogue. It's the Dol Guldur parts where he'll really be able to show his acting chops.

(This post was edited by Shagrat on Sep 18 2014, 1:10pm)

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Sep 18 2014, 1:38pm

Post #38 of 93 (1699 views)
Shortcut
The reason... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it seems to me, would be the change of actors. Possibly, for whatever reason, the original design did not work for the new actor. (And also, if the new actor does not particularly resemble the original actor, the continuity would be broken anyway).

As to why they found it necessary to change actors- do we know what the original intent was in the 2 movie script, for Thrain? If he was only ever meant to appear in the Prologue alongside Thror and Thorin for a few seconds, he was cast for a non-speaking part. I am not personally familiar with either actor, but I gather the replacement, Sir Antony Sher, is a distinguished and talented stage and screen actor. He was likely cast for his acting skills, when the part of Thrain in the script grew to include a scene or scenes with dialogue, in which he would be playing against Gandalf.

Faleel
Rohan

Sep 18 2014, 1:58pm

Post #39 of 93 (1675 views)
Shortcut
From [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, the new actor was cast rather late, after the original actor had already filmed scenes opposite Gandalf.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 18 2014, 2:05pm

Post #40 of 93 (1666 views)
Shortcut
Think aBout thizzz? [In reply to] Can't Post

Digital HD October 31st!

Tick, tick, tick...Bomby has become a
TimeBOMB...

Along W/ the rest of youzz Guyzz&Galzz....

tick..TICK...Tick
PJ &Co are gunna give uzz a
GLOBAL TickleFEST...when we are rolling on the
Floor in GLEE?

ECSTASY..Anyone?

Also sum Lines delivered by our World-Class Actors
WILL STICK in our heads forever..?

"What have WE..done?"

"THAT... my Lad was a Draaa-gon.."

"I have the Only right..?"

THERE izz No Need to apologize for ANYTHIN'
PJ has done...

"ITz all good..(Infact..ITzz ALL GREAT!)

Look out "Hollyweird"..PJ izz Storming YOUR Castle
Again..?

"Oscarzz..
Whatzz OSCARrzz..PrecZZZious.."?

Badda Bing
Badda Bong

bom
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 18 2014, 2:23pm

Post #41 of 93 (1643 views)
Shortcut
Having the eye or not... [In reply to] Can't Post

... has not really something to do with who the actor is.

But of course there are "reasons"... someone at WB finding it too brutal, etc etc.

But from the filmmakers point of view it would be weird to say - well, we will have an eye now where there wasn't one before - and vice-versa. Therefore, I still hope that in the end it will fit the "design" introduced in the prologue.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Sep 18 2014, 2:26pm

Post #42 of 93 (1638 views)
Shortcut
INteresting! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not that familiar with the details of what unreleased material was shot when. Is this from an interview?

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 18 2014, 2:29pm

Post #43 of 93 (1657 views)
Shortcut
I loved that line!!!!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

That voice gaaaaaaaaah ShockedBlushSly. I was specifically checking this thread to see if anyone else got a chill like I did then Laugh!! GMSA ("Great Minds Squeee Alike") LOL Sly.

Faleel
Rohan

Sep 18 2014, 2:30pm

Post #44 of 93 (1630 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

The very first Hobbit trailers ( LONG before Anthony Sher's casting was announced) had shots of Thrain in Dol Guldur.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2014, 3:54pm

Post #45 of 93 (1602 views)
Shortcut
Or is it just a more sunken socket? [In reply to] Can't Post

In line with him being older and more wizened? It might be my own eyes failing but I can't see there is definitely an eye there.

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 18 2014, 4:18pm

Post #46 of 93 (1571 views)
Shortcut
LOL how about forgetting to breathe! [In reply to] Can't Post

Gotta ask a musician family member for the right words for someone who has a voice that "you feel in your chest" - that's the only way I can describe it - the tone? timbre? musicality? OMG the richness of it!
OK, I backed up and replayed that a couple of times....TongueHeartHeartHeart

*Grins* and that single line and the way it's said will stay with me the rest of my life, re all the UNPLEASANT things folks do around here on a daily basis - from road rage to leaving trash around and like that.Evil
Least I will have a PLEASANT memory that will pop into my mind when I am scraping gum off a boot.Unimpressed

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 18 2014, 4:24pm

Post #47 of 93 (1564 views)
Shortcut
Thank you - gotta go check Twitter! [In reply to] Can't Post

Love RA in a beard - all the Heirs wear a beard really well, and I like beards tho not for everyone. A beard frames Richard's face so beautifully and I think accents his marvelous ice-blue eyes LOL *snuggle*.HeartHeartHeart

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 18 2014, 4:40pm

Post #48 of 93 (1570 views)
Shortcut
Bet Thrain's eye or lack of gets a meme, but wasn't on my mind, really [In reply to] Can't Post

(I can't say I'm that hung up about the inclusion of Thrain – and therefore his eye – either way, since I don't even remember him from the book.)

For me it's one of those things that's interesting, especially since DOS opened with Thorin having looked for his father, and assume the news of Thrain from Gandalf will add more to Thorin's sorrow and angerFrownFrownFrown but not hung up on his eye either. And if people keep talking about it, then the image of a character from Carl Hiaasen's hilarious series of books is going to keep popping into my head and I am going to be giggling at inappropriate moments.Evil *squeeze my lemon, baby!* LOLLaugh (no, this is not off-color, it's when the glass eye pops out during a revival meeting and rolls down the steps - oh, *bleep* folks will just have to read Carl Hiaasen...Evil)

One creepy detail - noticed how carefully skulls are stacked up down the steps in DG, like LOL a careful but macabre decorating detail - someone has a sense of humor at WETA!Evil

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 18 2014, 4:43pm

Post #49 of 93 (1547 views)
Shortcut
Did you watch a lot of battle movies this summer? [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember you wanted some good suggestions re good movie battles!

Glorfindela
Valinor

Sep 18 2014, 4:44pm

Post #50 of 93 (1558 views)
Shortcut
Agree about the humour of the eye 'obsession' [In reply to] Can't Post

Bonkers! WinkSmile

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.