Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies, tv shows, etc. have you watched recently?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2014, 2:39pm

Post #26 of 55 (1209 views)
Shortcut
I love Alice... [In reply to] Can't Post

And then some Jan Swankmeyer films from the local Czech & Slovak Film Festival - Alice, Conspirators of Pleasure, and Little Otik.

... and am a big Svankmajer fan (love the Brothers Quay, too). Sounds like my kind of film festival.

Just listened to NPR's interview with Nick Cave on 20,000 Days on Earth-- sounds really interesting. Hope it makes it to the local "art house" theater eventually.

As for The Walking Dead, i have just 3 eps to go 'til i'm caught up. From what i've been hearing, season 5 is going to be pretty intense.

Sounds like you had a good week-end.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2014, 3:52pm

Post #27 of 55 (1207 views)
Shortcut
I'm watching a marathon of Lauren Bacall movies [In reply to] Can't Post

I love her voice. I love her movies!

So far... Dark Passage and Key Largo.

Wow.

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Malveth
Rivendell

Sep 16 2014, 7:49pm

Post #28 of 55 (1201 views)
Shortcut
Clone Wars [In reply to] Can't Post

Get a list of the episodes in chronological order.

Watch 'em on Netflix.

One of the best series ever made.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 16 2014, 8:46pm

Post #29 of 55 (1201 views)
Shortcut
I really like him too. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I must say that I've taken to Capaldi faster than to any other new doctor, but then, I've always liked him. I agree with whoever said he's hard to understand, though, never mind that the Gaffer and I are familiar with Scottish accents.

Yet my Mum who has watched Doctor Who since day 1, says he is her least favourite person to have taken over the role; and can't get into the new series. We both agreed that Robot of Sherwood was just too absurd for our liking.

I have probably asked you this before, but my brain isn't functioning right now; have you got a favourite episode or one you are particularly fond of re-watching?

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 16 2014, 9:47pm

Post #30 of 55 (1195 views)
Shortcut
I don't think you've asked me that before, no [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have dithered then as I'm dithering now, because while there are a lot of episodes I like, I'm not sure I have favorites, especially. I like Eccleston's The Doctor Dances because of the upbeat ending. I like Tennant's The Girl in the Fireplace and Blink (both authored by Moffat, I believe). I like any episode that has Rory in his Roman gear Blush

There are many of the earlier-era episodes I remember fondly, but which I suspect wouldn't hold up to my viewing tastes today. One that comes to mind is the Peter Davison episode where there were two Brigadiers from two different time periods, the very stiff and correct one from his UNIT days and a much mellower one living in retirement.

My husband would tell you any of the episodes with Leela would be worth re-watching. It was quite a shock to be watching Doc Martin the other day and realize that the same actress was playing Louisa's mother. Time is not kind, sigh.

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2014, 11:39pm

Post #31 of 55 (1184 views)
Shortcut
Good for him // [In reply to] Can't Post

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

acheron
Gondor

Sep 17 2014, 12:19am

Post #32 of 55 (1193 views)
Shortcut
my sr year high school yearbook [In reply to] Can't Post

Had a message from my parents in it with the "the road goes ever on and on" poem from FOTR in it. Cool

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Kerewyn
Rohan

Sep 17 2014, 12:32am

Post #33 of 55 (1184 views)
Shortcut
Wow, Swankmeyer! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice to hear from someone else who knows his work Smile The film fest highlighted Swankmeyer - I saw a program of short films too, including the amusing 'Food' - do you know that one?

In an early share house in my 20s, we had a copy of Alice on VCR and used to watch it over and over, and creep ourselves out! I also saw 'Conspirators of Pleasure' when it came out, (late '97) and I was spending that month in the Czech Republic (one of the best months of my life:) Luckily it has no dialogue!

The Walking Dead - LOL, it seems every season is intense! It just keeps upping the ante.

"Thou speakest of thralldom. If thralldom it be, thou canst not escape it..."

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Sep 17 2014, 12:32am)

Meneldor
Valinor

Sep 17 2014, 2:03am

Post #34 of 55 (1193 views)
Shortcut
Victory at Sea [In reply to] Can't Post

The 1952 TV documentary, and unparalleled source of stock WW2 footage. With great scoring by Richard Rodgers.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 17 2014, 2:49am

Post #35 of 55 (1176 views)
Shortcut
Our high school band played a suite from Victory at Sea [In reply to] Can't Post

great music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-EXNounv-U

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 17 2014, 10:28am

Post #36 of 55 (1171 views)
Shortcut
Richard Rogers wrote only several bars of theme music. [In reply to] Can't Post

For marketing purposes, the producers deliberately mis-placed the credit. From my research notes:

"VICTORY AT SEA", a symphonic scenerio by (officially) Richard Rodgers

Victory at Sea was a project conceived by Henry Salomon, who, while in the U.S. Navy, was a research assistant to the historian who was then writing the 15-volume History of United States Naval Operations in World War II. During this period, Salomon learned of the large amounts of film that the warring navies had compiled. He left the Navy in 1948 and eventually discussed his idea of a documentary series with an executive at NBC television.

NBC approved the project in 1951, with Salomon as producer. His team, made up largely of newsreel veterans, scoured naval archives around the world, and received complete cooperation from the U.S. Navy, which recognized the publicity value. Salomon's team compiled 60 million feet of film, which was edited down to 26 half-hour segments

The Broadway musical composer Richard Rodgers contributed 12 "themes"- short piano compositions each a minute or two in length.

Robert Bennett did the scoring, transforming Rodgers's themes to fit a variety of moods, blending sound effects of natural elements such as crickets and frogs into the music and even airplane engines at F Sharp Minor, and composing much more original material than Rodgers.

However, Bennett received credit only for arranging the score and conducting the soundtrack recording sessions, and many writers still refer erroneously to "Rodgers's thirteen-hour score."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 17 2014, 1:44pm

Post #37 of 55 (1164 views)
Shortcut
this reminds me of another 'co-credit cheat' I read about yesterday [In reply to] Can't Post

Gene Roddenberry got half the royalties for the Star Trek theme. Because of a contract clause that said if he wrote lyrics for a tune (even if they weren't used) he would get a split of royalties. So even though Roddenberry's incredibly silly and somewhat unsingable lyrics for the Trek theme were never heard on screen, he got a 50/50 split with composer Alexander Courage — something Courage was pretty upset by.

More Weird Facts You Probably Didn't Know About The Original Star Trek

a comment to the article provided the lyrics - provenance unverified by me

The Star Trek theme song lyrics:

Beyond

The rim of the star-light

My love

Is wand'ring in star-flight

I know

He'll find in star-clustered reaches

Love,

Strange love a star woman teaches.

I know

His journey ends never

His star trek

Will go on forever.

But tell him

While he wanders his starry sea

Remember, remember me.

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 17 2014, 3:04pm

Post #38 of 55 (1151 views)
Shortcut
I absolutely agree with you [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
One of the best series ever made.

On the one hand I might add "animated" series, however on the other hand I'm not sure that even needs to be a criteria.
Animated or not, one of the best.
Have you watched it all the way through yet? Or are you on the first go-around?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 17 2014, 3:53pm

Post #39 of 55 (1151 views)
Shortcut
I'd be upset, too! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's amazing what can get written into contracts. Unsure

I've seen the lyrics before, but I've never heard anyone try to sing them to the tune!

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Sep 17 2014, 5:39pm

Post #40 of 55 (1194 views)
Shortcut
Lyrics [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen the lyrics before, but I've never heard anyone try to sing them to the tune!

It is weird isn't it that we never heard them sung given Mr. Spock and Capt. Kirk both put out (really bad) albums. Smile

Although my hubby can sing the lyrics to the Batman theme and to the Bonanza theme so there is a kind of life to those obscure lyrics. Sometimes he gets them mixed up... Laugh

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Malveth
Rivendell

Sep 17 2014, 5:58pm

Post #41 of 55 (1149 views)
Shortcut
Clone Wars [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched TCW when it aired 2008-2014 and this past summer I watched Episode I, Episode II, The Clone Wars (in correct order) etc. to Episode 6. It was an amazing viewing experience! 73 hours! It took 3 months.

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 17 2014, 6:12pm

Post #42 of 55 (1151 views)
Shortcut
Surprizingly not uncommon. [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps the most convoluted (and profitable) "cheat" of the same sort was Johnny Carson's The Tonight Show theme (Johnny's Theme). The tune was originally an instrumental by Paul Anka (Toot Sweet) ,who later added lyrics for an Annette Funicello cover (It's Really Love), then later added completely different lyrics when he himself recorded it for the sountrack of an Italian film (Faibles Femmes). When Carson first took over The Tonight Show, he took Anka's original tune and added his own set of lyrics, which, though never once used in the show's 30 year history, gave Carson 50% of the royalties every single time the tune was played during those 30 years.

It's interesting how many theme songs of extremely popular shows had lyrics that were never or seldom used: I'm sure you're aware of the atrocious campy Bonanza! theme. There's also lyrics for The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Andy Griffith Show, The Odd Couple, Bewitched (finally used in the recent movie version, and, perhaps strangest of all, Combat!

BTW, in the 40s and 50s big band leaders would often buy songs and release them crediting themselves as the songwriter. This was so they could get the royalties. The more generous band leaders would allow the ghost writer to publish a second song under their own name on the B-side, so the poor sap could at least get a portion of the record's sales.

(Family legend has it Uncle Rusty wrote one of the biggest country swing hits of 1952 but sold it to the band leader he was working for. However, Uncle Rusty did get to sing the song as lead vocalist and was allowed to publish a song on the B-side under his own name.)

Suddenly the king cried to Snowmane and the horse sprang away. Behind him his banner blew in the wind, white horse upon a field of green, but he outpaced it. After him thundered the knights of his house, but he was ever before them. Éomer rode there, the white horsetail on his helm floating in his speed, and the front of the first éored roared like a breaker foaming to the shore, but Théoden could not be overtaken. Fey he seemed, or the battle-fury of his fathers ran like new fire in his veins, and he was borne up on Snowmane like a god of old, even as Oromë the Great in the battle of the Valar when the world was young. His golden shield was uncovered, and lo! it shone like an image of the Sun, and the grass flamed into green about the white feet of his steed. For morning came, morning and a wind from the sea; and the darkness was removed, and the hosts of Mordor wailed, and terror took them, and they fled, and died, and the hoofs of wrath rode over them. And then all the host of Rohan burst into song, and they sang as they slew, for the joy of battle was on them, and the sound of their singing that was fair and terrible came even to the City:

There's a Great Darkness over the Pelennor,
There's a Great Darkness over the Pelennor!
Our spears’ nowhere as high as an Oliphaunt’s eye,
And the field’s full of orcs, wargs and huge Olog-hai!

Oh what a Rohirrim morning,
Oh what a Rohirrim day!
We've got a wonderful feeling,
We shall kill thousands today!

Oh, we’ll kill us some Easterling Variags,
And know we’re not given to idle brags,
We’ll battle and vanquish the Black Serpent King,
And even an undying dwimmerlaik thing!

Oh what a Rohirrim day!

-Rodgers and Hammerstein, The Lord of the Rings

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 17 2014, 6:31pm

Post #43 of 55 (1137 views)
Shortcut
Ah, you were on to it from the beginning [In reply to] Can't Post

I was a latecomer and had to catch up. I've watched all of the more recent ones (including the ending), but I haven't watched it all in order as you have - I imagine that would be an excellent experience, to follow the arcs from one episode to the next. It was such a well-crafted series with such attention to detail, from the characters to the story lines, the artwork, sound - and the voice acting! Just fantastic.

Nice to 'meet' another TCW fan here Smile!

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 17 2014, 6:37pm

Post #44 of 55 (1149 views)
Shortcut
I was watching some show recently that was talking about the big band situation [In reply to] Can't Post

geez, I can't remember if it was a documentary on PBS or maybe an interview with someone like Tavis Smiley or Charlie Rose where someone was discussing the life of a musician.

Wait... I know, it was some segment on History Detectives.

It was Billy Strayhorn and Duke Ellington.
“Take the ‘A’ Train” was the first piece of music Ellington published via his own music publishing company, Tempo Music Co. He was a pioneer in this. Many African-American musicians like Miles Davis and John Coltrane followed in his footsteps and created businesses so they could keep full ownership of their music and retain the profits from its publishing.

Ironically, Billy Strayhorn, the pianist and composer who wrote “‘A’ Train”, got a salary from Ellington, but didn’t own the publishing rights to his own song. Eventually, after many years of collaboration, Duke gave him a 10% share of the company.

Jazz historian Stanley Crouch says Strayhorn may have been a victim of his own genius. He was so good at composing in Ellington’s style that people widely assumed Ellington was the author.

http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/3061
http://www.pbs.org/...ke-ellington-plates/

(This post was edited by Magpie on Sep 17 2014, 6:37pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 17 2014, 8:49pm

Post #45 of 55 (1143 views)
Shortcut
Cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for that!

Uncle Rusty also played with Maxwell Davis, "the father of West Coast R&B":

http://wired-for-sound.blogspot.com/...hesterfield-354.html

Oh, and here's his song featuring the lyrics "you look like an elf".Smile

http://westex-countrywestern.blogspot.com/...urty-to-look-it.html

Suddenly the king cried to Snowmane and the horse sprang away. Behind him his banner blew in the wind, white horse upon a field of green, but he outpaced it. After him thundered the knights of his house, but he was ever before them. Éomer rode there, the white horsetail on his helm floating in his speed, and the front of the first éored roared like a breaker foaming to the shore, but Théoden could not be overtaken. Fey he seemed, or the battle-fury of his fathers ran like new fire in his veins, and he was borne up on Snowmane like a god of old, even as Oromë the Great in the battle of the Valar when the world was young. His golden shield was uncovered, and lo! it shone like an image of the Sun, and the grass flamed into green about the white feet of his steed. For morning came, morning and a wind from the sea; and the darkness was removed, and the hosts of Mordor wailed, and terror took them, and they fled, and died, and the hoofs of wrath rode over them. And then all the host of Rohan burst into song, and they sang as they slew, for the joy of battle was on them, and the sound of their singing that was fair and terrible came even to the City:

There's a Great Darkness over the Pelennor,
There's a Great Darkness over the Pelennor!
Our spears’ nowhere as high as an Oliphaunt’s eye,
And the field’s full of orcs, wargs and huge Olog-hai!

Oh what a Rohirrim day!

Oh, we’ll kill us some Easterling Variags,
And know we’re not given to idle brags,
We’ll battle and vanquish the Black Serpent King,
And even an undying dwimmerlaik thing!

Oh what a Rohirrim day!

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 17 2014, 10:32pm

Post #46 of 55 (1137 views)
Shortcut
double cool [In reply to] Can't Post

great song and I love the pic.

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 18 2014, 12:05am

Post #47 of 55 (1130 views)
Shortcut
A child prodigy [In reply to] Can't Post

playing one of the most spiritual pieces of music i have ever heard, and in front of the humble master. I took such delight in this.

Samba Pa Ti

A little Spanish here.

" 'Fair lady Goldberry!' said Frodo at last, feeling his heart move with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange."

Chapter VII: In the House of Tom Bombadil; FOTR's

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 18 2014, 10:44am

Post #48 of 55 (1119 views)
Shortcut
Nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

He's got a better voice than a lot I've heard on the radio. This is what I call "easy listening". Smile

But he died rather "young", didn't he...Unsure

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 18 2014, 2:33pm

Post #49 of 55 (1110 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, he was the youngest sibling, yet the first to pass on, from lung cancer, doubtless acquired from years of playing in smoke-filled honky-tonks. Of course that was the culture he loved.

"Alas! For she was pitted against a foe beyond the strength of her mind or body. And those who will take a weapon to such an enemy must be sterner than steel, if the very shock shall not destroy them. It was an evil doom that set her in his path. For she is a fair maiden, fairest lady of a house of queens. And yet I know not how I should speak of her. When I first looked on her and perceived her unhappiness, it seemed to me that I saw a white flower standing straight and proud, shapely as a lily, and yet knew that it was hard, as if wrought by elf-wrights out of steel. Or was it, maybe, a frost that had turned its sap to ice, and so it stood, bitter-sweet, still fair to see, but stricken, soon to fall and die? Her malady begins far back before this day, does it not, Éomer?"
"I marvel that you should ask me, lord," he answered. "For I hold you blameless in this matter, as in all else; yet I knew not that Éowyn, my sister, was touched by any frost, until she first looked on you. Care and dread she had, and shared with me, in the days of Wormtongue and the king's bewitchment; and she tended the king in growing fear. But that did not bring her to this pass!"
”'My friend,” said Gandalf, “you had horses, and deeds of arms, and the free fields; but she, born in the body of a maid, had a spirit and courage at least the match of yours. Yet she was doomed to wait upon an old man, whom she loved as a father, and watch him falling into a mean dishonoured dotage; and her part seemed to her more ignoble than that of the staff he leaned on.
“Think you that Wormtongue had poison only for Théoden's ears? ‘Dotard! What is the house of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek, and their brats roll on the floor among their dogs?’ Have you not heard those words before? Saruman spoke them, the teacher of Wormtongue. Though I do not doubt that Wormtongue at home wrapped their meaning in terms more cunning. My lord, if your sister's love for you, and her will still bent to her duty, had not restrained her lips; you might have heard even such things as these escape them. But who knows what she spoke to the darkness, alone, in the bitter watches of the night, when all her life seemed shrinking, and the walls of her bower closing in about her, a hutch to trammel some wild thing in?”

“I'm gonna wash Rohan right outa my hair,
I'm gonna wash Rohan right outa my hair,
And I’ll be on my way!

“If a land don't understand you,
No matter how many regimes,
Saddle up, do not wait,
Don’t waste time at the weapontake.
Muster out of that roll call.
Ride Windfola out to your dreams!

“If the house of Eorl is nothing more,
Than a barn where brigands drink,
Their brats and dogs roll on the floor,
Then you know what the door is for,
Muster out of that roll call,
Wash Rohan into the sink!

“I'm gonna wash Rohan right outa my hair,
And I’ll be on my way!"

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 18 2014, 9:01pm

Post #50 of 55 (1104 views)
Shortcut
And a few more [In reply to] Can't Post

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (David Fincher's) - for the first time after seeing it in the theatre back in early 2012. Though not quite as thrilling to watch when you know how it all ends, it still remains a very good film. Grim and unsettling, yet intelligent and engrossing.

The Giver - great concept, mediocre execution. It has its moments, but it's ultimately too generic to leave a stronger, longer-lasting expression.

Miss Julie (Liv Ullmann's) - now that's a good film! Albeit not one for everybody's taste. Tense and emotional, its brutal, naturalistic honesty makes the viewer feel even slightly uncomfortable at times (intentionally so). It's well-acted and -directed - excellent adaptation of Strindberg's classic.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.