The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thranduil Poster

Elutherian
Rohan

Sep 17 2014, 8:34pm

Post #1 of 16 (1953 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil Poster Can't Post

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10639710_10152489739389821_3453723480676651209_n.jpg?oh=eeb1d4aab37a5cb633e82ec5e57796a5&oe=54CA9C38&__gda__=1418163309_fc06bc0f19e899ba2e78c3ddd35483b6

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

(This post was edited by Elutherian on Sep 17 2014, 8:35pm)

Dipling
Lorien

Sep 17 2014, 8:39pm

Post #2 of 16 (1457 views)
Shortcut
Click [In reply to] Can't Post

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/...99ba2e78c3ddd35483b6

tsmith675
Gondor

Sep 17 2014, 8:54pm

Post #3 of 16 (1304 views)
Shortcut
If you post it, [In reply to] Can't Post

Fangirls will come.

Looks completely badass, by the way.

Our destiny lies above us.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Sep 17 2014, 9:23pm

Post #4 of 16 (1240 views)
Shortcut
Great – at last! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for posting this. SmileHeart

VValar
Gondor

Sep 17 2014, 9:28pm

Post #5 of 16 (1228 views)
Shortcut
Looks good [In reply to] Can't Post

But is it a fan made or not?

joec_34
Rivendell

Sep 17 2014, 9:35pm

Post #6 of 16 (1230 views)
Shortcut
Not Orcrist [In reply to] Can't Post

I had kindof hoped that he would be holding Orcrist. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but that doesn't look like Orcrist to me.) I had hoped that they would've made a bigger deal about Thranduil keeping the sword instead of letting some dwarf use a blade of his people. Then it'd be a huge deal when Thranduil allows it to be buried with Thorin. Maybe we'll still get that stuff, just with Legolas instead of Thranduil. I guess that might set up LotR a bit better, and the negotiations leading up to the battle could be a nice place for a line or two regarding the sword. Perhaps I can hope!

"Happy painting and God bless, my friend." - Bob Ross

tsmith675
Gondor

Sep 17 2014, 9:56pm

Post #7 of 16 (1173 views)
Shortcut
I can't tell if it's Orcrist. [In reply to] Can't Post

The hilt kinda sorta resembles the shape that Orcrist is. But I can't quite tell.

Our destiny lies above us.

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 17 2014, 10:00pm

Post #8 of 16 (1192 views)
Shortcut
Reminds me a lot... [In reply to] Can't Post

... of the Aragorn riding to war poster for RotK.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Sep 17 2014, 10:08pm

Post #9 of 16 (1156 views)
Shortcut
Not Orcrist [In reply to] Can't Post

It is Thranduil's sword. That sword has a distinctive pattern of black swirls adorning the hilt, which can be seen in the image if one looks closely.

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 17 2014, 10:09pm

Post #10 of 16 (1160 views)
Shortcut
Can't tell, but if it isn't Orcrist.... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. he's the King, doesn't it make sense that he would have his own special sword and might not want to set it aside for another?

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 18 2014, 12:31am

Post #11 of 16 (1131 views)
Shortcut
Think it's fan art tho [In reply to] Can't Post

Like these:

Beautiful work to be sure - and not saying "fans" who may well be artists in their own right can't do as good, or often better, than whoever WB may hire, depending. I'm still thinking of the awful Empire collector's edition last year with the eagle and strange looking Thorin and Bilbo - meh.Unsure

Hó , Það sé ég föður minn
Hó , Það sé ég móður mína, og Hó, Það sé ég bræður mínir og systur mínar
Hó , Það sé ég mitt fólk aftur í byrjun
Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar
Hvar hugrakkir mun lifa að eilífu

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 18 2014, 1:22am

Post #12 of 16 (1107 views)
Shortcut
Ah... Thanks, Elutherian [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad they used this shot for the poster instead of Thranduil on the Elk. Somehow seemed more in vibe with the badassery he gets up to in BotFAAngelicHeart

ETA: Poster is legit, Lee Pace tweeted it, and this is just one movie news site that carried it as well.

Fan of both books and movies; I am a lurker by nature though it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Thranduil Appreciation
Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XIII
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!. (A writing triangle with Avandel and Kerewyn)
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Sep 18 2014, 1:30am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 18 2014, 1:29am

Post #13 of 16 (1097 views)
Shortcut
Nope, not Orcrist, and why would he be using Orcrist [In reply to] Can't Post

When he has his own beautiful sword anyway? And he has 2 of them to boot!

In Reply To
I had hoped that they would've made a bigger deal about Thranduil keeping the sword instead of letting some dwarf use a blade of his people. Then it'd be a huge deal when Thranduil allows it to be buried with Thorin. Maybe we'll still get that stuff, just with Legolas instead of Thranduil. I guess that might set up LotR a bit better, and the negotiations leading up to the battle could be a nice place for a line or two regarding the sword. Perhaps I can hope!

imo, Thranduil doesn't need to be seen using Orcrist in Battle for the big deal vibe to get through. Plus the big deal you're alluding to surely been's made the hell out of by Legolas when the Dwarves were captures in Mirkwood.

No, just no. Thranduil should be the one who lays it on Thorin's tomb, not Legolas. I can hope! Angelic

Fan of both books and movies; I am a lurker by nature though it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XIII

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!. (A writing triangle with Avandel and Kerewyn)
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Sep 18 2014, 8:50am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 18 2014, 12:02pm

Post #14 of 16 (1016 views)
Shortcut
Amendment to ETA: Nope, not official apparently [In reply to] Can't Post

(reposting from the TA thread)

There was this...

And then this...

Clearly, some evil is at work to deceive even Thranduil... ... have to wonder though, does LP actually understand what he's potentially asking for?CrazyTongue

=======

KingTurgon
Rohan

Sep 25 2014, 12:18am

Post #15 of 16 (846 views)
Shortcut
Lol [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought he might have been trolling when he asked for Thranduil fan art if he knows anything about Thranduil fans lol. But I think he probably just wanted to legitimately see some fan art, he seems like a nice guy.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 26 2014, 2:34am

Post #16 of 16 (829 views)
Shortcut
Heh! I do think he mean it and those stills... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I thought he might have been trolling when he asked for Thranduil fan art if he knows anything about Thranduil fans lol. But I think he probably just wanted to legitimately see some fan art, he seems like a nice guy.

He does seem like a genuinely nice guy who probably means it. There's been a few examples of his tweeting that well, supports thatSmile

Though on the authenticity of that still... came across this and now I'm a bit wha... what? So it is real or not? Sure have not seen them on the movie site itself but there's been a lot of movie news sites that's carried that story as I've mentioned. Now there's a whole slew of posters! http://purpleshield1548.tumblr.com/...-armies-promo-stills

Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XIV
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII

=======

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.