The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XIII
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 17 2014, 1:43am

Post #51 of 202 (13785 views)
Shortcut
     Hear, hear, fellow-Thralls! Abide rules or risk losing views of Pretty! [In reply to]  

Thanks for the reminder, Altaira. Well, for mine, they're uploaded into the posts as attachments so they're compliant in terms of file size anyway, but I will start taking note of the pixel size onscreen as well.

... hmmm maybe time to re-collate the previous posting notes on posting for Thralls' benefit. I'll take care of it.

Fan of both books and movies; I am a lurker by nature though it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Thranduil Appreciation
Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XIII
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!. (A writing triangle with Avandel and Kerewyn)
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 17 2014, 2:13am

Post #52 of 202 (13830 views)
Shortcut
     All sorts of thoughts too. But first, way cool avatar! [In reply to]  

That was fast! *thumbs up*

In Reply To
You know I've never paid close attention to see if Legolas uses the reverse grip on his blades. I might have to rewatch all of his fighting scenes from LOTR and DOS to find out. But it would make sense he is able to use this technique for the reason you just stated: he has the best teacher in all of ME! And I'm sure Thranduil would have learned his son a trick or two on how to -stylishly- smash and hack any Orc in two.

In LotR (TH too I think), he definitely does quite a bit of twirl on his arrows when he uses them for close-quarter stabs. Maybe an adaptation of daddy's uber-cool sword movesHeart But his knifework, not so much reverse grips, though he don't really do a lot of fancy two-knife-at-once fighting so I'm guessing he might not be quite as ambidextrous as Thranduil. Frankly, Legolas doesn't seem to be that much of a two-sword/knife Elf overall. Noticed in his fight with Bolg, he favoured heavily the two-handed grip on Orcrist... could just be the need for brute hacking force against the brute, and to brace against the brunt of the brute's brute force *shrug* To me, his sword-fighting form just doesn't have that razzle-dazzle of Heartdaddy Tongue Anyway, I hope/think we'll see more double-knife and reverse-grip knifework from Legolas in BotFA.

In Reply To
You were also right about the appreciating of the father/son combo, thanks for putting that up Heart It's funny that in his surprised look, Thranduil resembles Legolas more than I have seen him in any other picture imo. It's that face he's making, I've seen Leggy make that same face a couple of times throughout the films.

hmm... *looks at pics again* you may be on to something there. I guess the FLAST quotient doesn't vary far from the sourceLaughTongueAngelic

In Reply To
Oh and of course I'm really liking the OP picture of Thranduil including the quote. I like reading passages concerning the Elvenking from TH very much since they're alll new to me. It is a really good way to start number 13 Smile (and I like that it's the first image I see when I click on the thread).

Cool! There's not a lot of
Elvenking quotes in TH, and I'm in glee at the occasion to slap one onCool

In Reply To
Hmm about the MAAD... I know what you mean. It is a clever find but somehow it's missing that nice ring to it Unsure We'll need to invent another witty name for the not-so-loving relationship the Dwarves and Elves have developed with each other. Btw, have you read about the Dwarves and Thingol in the Silm?

Yeah... needs another lightning strike to make the right one jump out I guess.

Vaguely remembers Thingol and Dwarves, but have not got there yet so more to come! Maybe I'll get hit with a clever alternative for MAAD when I get there Angelic

In Reply To
Had not yet seen it Heart!
Is he preparing for an attack when he hears the commotion behind him?

I'd hazard a guess here: Thranduil's troops may have just overcome some orcs on the way which accounts for the drawn sword. And as they're riding through the aftermath he hears something that makes him turn around.

In Reply To
Yep, too bad they did such a poor job on her. Ah well, it's a good thing they didn't mess up the Mirkwood Royals, they don't need a whole lot of photoshopping. Their natural beauty should not be tempered with HeartMad

After all the time and effort the team put on making Tauriel such a big part of the story, they allow this sort of crap through... I don't get it. Oh well.

Yes, that goes without sayingAngelic

In Reply To
I do like the Galadriel/Gandalf image, unlike you Tongue I'm not getting a awkward lovers-type of-feel with the two of them, more like a very affectionative relationship between two dear friends. I think Galadriel is very happy with Celeborn, who is awesome and who keeps her in check Evil I think (hope) the Dol Guldur scene is going to rock, not only visually but also emotionally. The only thing I do find awkward is Elrond and Saruman just standing there looking lame in de background lol.

I'm sure Gladdy is thoroughly happy with hubby. But the image utterly ho-hum to me. Maybe I'm just too inundated through my growing years to appreciate it as anything but, because it is just such a requisite plot device of tear-inducing mawk in asian movies/tv for star-crossed lovers who encounter OBSTACLES. Doesn't help to have Elrond and Saruman standing around like the reviled purveyors of LOVERS' OBSTACLES. All that's missing on them are villainously arched eyebrows (lascivious smirks optional). This emotive scene must be in the lovers' photo-album of eternal love before they pass the test of all tests along the path to true love.Evil *retch* OK... memory wipe timeTongue

Fan of both books and movies; I am a lurker by nature though it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XIII

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!. (A writing triangle with Avandel and Kerewyn)
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 17 2014, 2:25am

Post #53 of 202 (13812 views)
Shortcut
     FLASTered FEASTING... equals indigestion? [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Loving the FEASTING (Flustered Elrond And Sassy Thranduil, Including Not-impressed Galadriel). Lol it's amazing how you come up with such things Tongue I already know a FEAST (The First European Air Traffic Controller Selection Test) but since that's so totally different from anything Sassy Thranduil related, I'm sure I won't mix them up. Yeey we've got another one for the Lexicon!

*modest* Well, I like word gamesEvil And there was a sci-fi book that just impressed the hell out of me with its clever acronyms and shorthand. I look to it (in the dusty vaults of my mem) as inspiration when I'm stumped for clever stuff. I mean imagine making the word PROLETARIAT (maybe PROLETARIAN) totally represent some fearsome autocratic(?) society and the full name not only makes sense, it flows and fit the society and the story's vibe as well. And that's just one example. That book was amazing in my (now) vague impression, and quite an enjoyable read. Too bad, I forgot the actual book title or even story already.

In Reply To
In that light, how do you like these?
(Oh and I was too lazy to resize them so they're clicky's)
(And it doesn't really involve a very flustered Elrond or a not so impressed Galadriel, but Thranduil is as Sassy as ever and well, I thought these images might fit the FEASTING description) Tell me what you think!

http://25.media.tumblr.com/...C0U1r38rxfo2_500.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/...0U1r38rxfo3_1280.jpg

hahaha! So much for Elven-ruler dignity. Tsk, tsk, Elrond and Gladdy!

On that note... http://hobbits.co.vu/...-immortal-wisest-and TongueLaugh

=======

ltnjmy
Rivendell

Sep 17 2014, 2:33am

Post #54 of 202 (13836 views)
Shortcut
     hello lurker, kerwyn and fellow thralls [In reply to]  

These threads give me such joy. And to anybody discovering joy of Silm. now I have to force my blabbermouth shut. I do think that great prof. Tolkien hearkened back to menegroth when creating and referencing thranduil's halls in the Hobbit. Also I love the images you guys share and the fan art also. Waves hi to all !

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 17 2014, 2:35am

Post #55 of 202 (13841 views)
Shortcut
     Do you doubt it? [In reply to]  

After the teaser, I think no one can say there's only one. Smile All the more for teh awesome!Heart

In Reply To
Dang I didn't know the sword was THAT long.

LP/Thranduil is tall... here's an illustration pic fer yaAngelicHeart

In Reply To
Two badass swords to rock BOFA with Heart The excitement I have for these swords is barely contained!!

Oh yeah! And I wanna know, when he's not running about in armour and being badass warrior, where does he keep sword no 2? Cos he sure ain't unarmed, and we see in DoS he'd wear one of them. Does he rotate them or something when at home? Questions, questions!

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 17 2014, 2:38am

Post #56 of 202 (13780 views)
Shortcut
     Prolly has to be quick work? [In reply to]  

In Reply To
I wonder how long it took the person to do that cup of coffee.

Before the bubbles/foam goes flat?

In Reply To
Don't think this is Thranduil, might be Legolas? Anyway, I think it's cool

Liking the medieval tapestry feel of this

In Reply To

This somehow reminds me of a younger prince Thranduil

Yeah, agreed!

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 17 2014, 2:53am

Post #57 of 202 (13825 views)
Shortcut
     ooooh, your copypasta does a thing of beauty [In reply to]  

makes my response look like some clever verseSlyAngelicHeart

In Reply To
Thanks for bringing a bit of that thread here. (I need the assistance!) But Don't rely on me for actual knowledge. Tongue I tend to remember just enough of what I've read to be dangerous. Almost anything I say online is all just my opinion of the fragments that Christopher Tolkien has doled out to drive us all crazy, and as I'm also taking the movieverse into consideration, my opinion might change drastically after viewing The Battle Of The Five Armies (or even the DoS:EE).

You're welcome! I guess we do need a little tutorial on how to bring a threadbit forward since we're always coming up against threadlock. *adds to list of to-do*

LoL... and I hope he eventually unearths AND SHARE something substantive about Thranduil's genealogy

We can always revisit this topic after BotFA... post EE sounds about right, don't you think?Smile

In Reply To
I don't know if fear lose cognizance (or if being younger/lesser would make Sylvan hroar burn up more quickly or make Sylvan

fear more prone to that kind of degradation) but I do remember that fear who refuse the call to Mandos were all supposed to be a bit

evil, something I equate with "less wise and more dangerous" ;-) And I'm not convinced that any of the elves would lose their purpose,

even if they did lose their hroar. I picture them whooping it up at starlight festivals in perpetuity.

Good points. Though I thought I read about the diminishment of their powers of reason in pure wandering fear form, I could be dreaming of course. And I'm just getting the lower-in-the-totem-pole means more slipshoddy quality of being vibe from how the Silm depicts thingsEvil

In Reply To
There are still places in the world today where you can get Lost In The Wilderness, but I don't think the elves would need an

excess of woods. They are patient and crafty, they certainly know how to hide from beings who aren't looking for them. (Only the Very

Unlucky would actually stumble across them. Those are the kind of Elves Tolkien loved to read tales of.) (OT: I wish we knew what the

twins would be like in the movieverse. I've always picture them being a bit like Fred and George Weasley.)

Oh I know! I'd imagine we should give it another 50 years, I have faith in our ability to totally wreck mother nature's air-con system on time and on targetUnimpressed

Lost me about the OT on the twins... who be these folks?

In Reply To
Yeah, I'm pretty sure a bodily death earns you a seat in the waiting room that is Mandos. I'm also pretty sure that the loss of

hoar would initiate a call, and once you've passed on it, you lose that seat in the waiting room that is Mandos. And I think an Elf can

only be reincarnated if there's an Elven baby being born on Arda. (Not likely if only fear are left on Arda.) But I'm not sure that

Thranduil would be worried about family if he knew they were safely tucked away in Valinor. (And I want to believe my Elvenking is in

the wood in my backyard, so... Tongue)

Won't there be babies born in the West, which is still on Arda, anyways? Though it seems to have a bit of a creepy vibe to have Elves be reborn into another family given the connotations assorted with the idea of rebirth in Tolkien's world/faith. To me, it's cool, karma and rebirth are par for course, at least in mythical and folklore terms, in my neck of the racial/cultural woods. Smile

I think the pull of actually being with family will at some point get to Thranduil. Plus there's the call of the Sea, right? If it affects us so positively as this article says, I can imagine the uberly amplified effect on Elves, and especially Thranduil, after all that time resisting it. All that promise of goodness and healing...

In Reply To
Ditto! Though I'm hunting down some of the quotes I think I remember. I'm pretty sure most of them came out of Morgoth's Ring:

The Later Silmarillion Part One
(aka: The History of Middle-Earth Volume X) and The Peoples of Middle-Earth (aka: The History of

Middle-Earth Volume XII
).

Sounds a bit like Quenya to me Laugh But I'm noting them all down for future reference. Thanks!

And so glad you're back to talk "serious", vanima! *HUGS*

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 17 2014, 2:59am

Post #58 of 202 (13814 views)
Shortcut
     oooh... thought you saw the reply DanielB made to VValar here [In reply to]  

So I wondered if you replied to the wrong post.Evil

Anyway, there's a method to this madness, which I was just mentioning in my reply to vanima maybe a little tutorial's in order.

Basically, you can click the "Reply To This Post" link on any post. But, and this will make more sense if you view in Threaded Mode, your reply is appended to the post you replied to. So if you're not replying to the topic in the particular sub-thread, your response might get lost in the clutter. So, and this is probably particular to TA, if you're continuing a conversation from the last thread, the best option, imo, is to click the "Reply To This Post" link on the OP. This makes your post a starting point right under the OP, and is more visible in the nested view of the Threaded Mode. Hope this makes sense.

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 17 2014, 3:00am

Post #59 of 202 (13804 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks! I'm enjoying it thus far [In reply to]  

actually my second reading,but it was so long ago, I might as well have just read some vague cliffnotes before embarking on this venture. Smile

It's cool though, the excitement of Kerewyn's maiden read.

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 17 2014, 3:02am

Post #60 of 202 (13797 views)
Shortcut
     Hello! And cool to get a Silm reader here [In reply to]  

Do share your thoughts!Smile

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 17 2014, 4:53am

Post #61 of 202 (13809 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil and his Elk, or... [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Lol, I can already see that happening. Did you notice his Elk in front of his paddle boat? That animal never leaves his side it seems in these type of images, I guess Thranduil is very fond of it.
Heart

That Elk is to Thranduil Robin is to Batman perhaps? Or Silver to the Lone Ranger?

Question though: If the Elk and Legolas were in the same quicksand, who would Thranduil save? aka would you vote for FLAST or TEAM (Thranduil Elvenking and Moose)?CrazyTongue

Bubba, according Eruvandi, is the nickname of the Elk given by TORn staffers. He doesn't have a screenname as far we know. His actor, the horse, is really named Moose though. There's a quote about it from LP himself somewhere.

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 17 2014, 5:51am

Post #62 of 202 (13788 views)
Shortcut
     Addendum: The Elk is Moose quote [In reply to]  

You might already have seen it but here goes:

CLICK: One person online actually asked what the name of the elk you’re riding was.

LP: Actually there’s an actor playing the Elk you should ask. It’s a horse named Moose. Playing the elk.
(source)

Always loved the thought of a horse named Moose playing the War-Elk.Heart

Supremely OT: In the process of looking this quote up, came across this... clearing up RA's preference in the perennial dog or cat question. Had me tickled given the abundance of wrongly assumed love for the one.Laugh Prolly an impressive swathe of his fandom's broke at his thoughts on the assumed preference too.

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Sep 17 2014, 5:51am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 17 2014, 9:34am

Post #63 of 202 (13892 views)
Shortcut
     IMPORTANT README for TA posters: Information on posting, and adding images [In reply to]  

Fellow Thralls, and non-Thrall appreciators of Thranduil,
Truly, we all know, or should, the aim of TA is FUN and communal appreciation of Thranduil. Far be it for any of our posts and replies to be regimented, for style defies cramping. But even so, we have to toe some TORn lines, and be good TORNsibs; lines that may be particular to TA due to the nature of the TORn boards and the TA threads being a running thread artificially broken into multi-parts for server and system performance reasons (and perhaps reading convenience).

In that light, and in response to the second general reminder-to-all from the MODs through 13 threads we've got, this consolidation of how-tos and wherewithal will hopefully keep our little corner of TORn haven compliant and free of Wrath of Mod.

The TA (very) Quickie Help/TIPS for adding IMAGES and POSTING
The TORn FAQ on the "Welcome To TORn" forum is a great start for all questions actually, from making a post, adding Pretty! to asking for post edit and MUCH MUCH more.
  • First, check the editor mode you're on when posting, Basic or Advanced. Ref 2.8 Replying to posts seems slower than on the old boards. Can I speed it up?
  • Specifically for image posting, ref 2.20 How do I add a picture to a post? and 2.21 How do I upload an attachment? Also, read 2.22 How do I add a link to a post? (NOTE: It's a lot easier to use Advanced Editor unless you're familiar with HTML and webpage coding. Then Markup Help is your friend. See also 2.9 How can I get markup help?
  • For help with post edit/deletion, ref 2.24 Oops! I made a mistake in my post … can I fix it? and 2.25 Why can’t I edit and/or delete my post?

That's the longcut.

IMAGES
In summary:
  • DON'T hotlink images aka use a non TORn url to directly add an image in your post. If the source image's URL changes, we lose Pretty! view in a snap
  • Upload images to your post, AND THEN add them in the places where you want Pretty! to show; ALWAYS bearing in mind TORn guidelines on size and numbers of Pretty! allowed per post

If you want a shortcut on how to post images, do as Kim sez in her post. If you want to get fancy on the Pretty! check out Avandel's post with information on software and options for image manipulation. Avandel's post also has information on TORn's guidelines about image size and so on. Still, it's recommended that you're on Advanced Editor mode to help doing any of these things less painful.
[TIP: To check if the image you see online needs to be resized to fit TORn guidelines, rightclick on the image. Depending on your browser, you should see an option to the effect of "View Image Information" or "Properties". Click on it and a new little window pops up. Somewhere on it you will see the image size.]

As for making an image clickable, it's easy - basically it's the same process as making text a clickable link. As you would with making clickable text in your post, you need to have an image you can select in your post. So:
  1. Get your image onto your post
  2. Select/highlight the image. Make sure you're selecting the right thing
  3. Click on the "Link" icon on the edit bar, and paste the url of the image in the pop up window, then click Submit
  4. Viola!Smile

POSTING-REPLYING TO THE APPROPRIATE POST vs CONTINUING A CONVERSATION FROM LOCKED TAs
Basically, you can click the "Reply To This Post" link on any post. But, and this will make more sense if you view in Threaded Mode, your reply is appended to the post you replied to. So if you're not replying to the topic in the particular sub-thread, your response might get lost in the clutter.

So, and this is particular to TA, if you're continuing a conversation from the last thread, the best option, imo, is to click the "Reply To This Post" link on the current thread's OP, as you would when starting a new TA discussion topic. This makes your post a starting point right under the OP, and is more visible in the nested view of the Threaded Mode. Additionally, to help others understand the background of the ongoing conversation, you could also post a link back to the post your post is addressing. To do so:
  1. Go to the post you are replying to in the old TA.
  2. On the left column of the post, under the poster's avatar, you should see a "Shortcut".
  3. Right-click on that and copy the link.
  4. Then paste that link as desired into the post you are composing.

SPACE
The void is your friend. Kim mentioned in her post one important trick is to hit the space bar a few times before adding an image. I find this helps when using the other tools on the edit bar too. Specifically the "Quote" icon. Always be sure you have an <Enter> before AND after your quote. So basically you will hit <ENTER> 3 times, place your cursor on the middle <ENTER> line before you do a quotey. That way, you can add more stuff before and after your quote instead of having everything in a quote mosh.

AVOIDING GENERIC POST-DEATH
The ether throws a tantrum at times. The worst that can happen is have your lovingly composed post that you spent the last 3 hours on swallowed up when you click "Post Reply", or even just "Preview". My suggestion is to make a habit of copying your post before you hit either button. That way, you're not thrown into anguish from something beyond anyone's control.

AVOIDING POST-DEATH FROM THREADLOCK
Threadlock is the other possible cause of post-death. And threadlock is realz. When we get near or past the 200post count, posting can be quite the walk on the ledge, because at anytime a mod may swoop in and close it forevah. We can still post until then, but if you don't want to chance losing your post before it's seen light of day, in addition to copying it to a word processor first, check the status of the thread and also "Who's Online" before you hit the "Post Reply" button. That way, even you were visited with the misfortune of cosmic confluence, you can still post, but in the new thread.

How to check thread status and "Who's Online" at the same time you're writing your magnus opus? Simple, open 2 additional tabs on your browser, and set one to view the forum (or the thread itself), and the other to view "Who's Online". I call them my watch pages Smile
[TIP: Remember to refresh those watch-pages for the latest status if you've got them open for a while.]

Finally, I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Posting and adding images/links can be daunting at first, (and I considers meself good with getting tech stuff). But isn't everything? So hang in there and just try again if the first try didn't work.

Thanks for helping make Thranduil Appreciation an ongoing enjoyment for all, even those TORnsibs who want nothing to do with us.Smile

humbly,
lurker in the mirk

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Sep 17 2014, 9:38am)

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 17 2014, 2:06pm

Post #64 of 202 (13764 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks, Lurker! [In reply to]  

That covers any of the Admins' concerns, and then some. Great instructions. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

mariel
Lorien

Sep 17 2014, 2:14pm

Post #65 of 202 (13794 views)
Shortcut
     Hi from a [up 'til now] silent thread visitor [In reply to]  

My first ever post [eek]. Just thought I'd confess to being one of the silent thread visitors. I have to say I have been enjoying these hugely entertaining and informative posts for a little while now, so thank you. I think I ought to make a little contribution - some fan art I found that I don't remember seeing so far. However, being rather computer dyslexic I have no idea whether this will work, so fingers crossed. Hope it works and hope you like them

http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/wilkimar/media/Th601_zpsef3c354b.jpg.html
http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/wilkimar/media/Th600_zpsbe0ed50e.jpg.html
http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/wilkimar/media/Th602_zpsd06d117d.jpg.html
http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/wilkimar/media/Th603_zps80b5c933.jpg.html

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Sep 17 2014, 2:38pm

Post #66 of 202 (13765 views)
Shortcut
     Welcome, welcome, and thrice welcome! [In reply to]  

Hello mariel! It's always great to hear from one of our silent visitors because that means we get to spread the Thranduil appreciation even further.Cool Thanks so much for the fan art! I haven't seen them before and they're very nice!

As always, if you (or any other silent visitorsWink) want to join in on the discussions, we'd be happy to include you. The more the merrier!Smile

"Home is behind the world ahead
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade"

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Sep 17 2014, 3:37pm

Post #67 of 202 (13761 views)
Shortcut
     If you zoom in on Elrond... [In reply to]  

Yeah, she looks odd. Actually, that star-crossed lovers reaching across an impossible chasm vibe of Ganddy and Glady isn't impressing me either. Elrond standing there looking all justified just makes him look like the jerk who came between them.CrazyTongue

Yeah, they made some *interesting* juxtaposition choices for the tapestry. I don't think Tauriel looks quite as odd as some people do, but something is not quite right.

As for Ganddy and Glady, well, I like pretty much anything with Galadriel in it, but I have to wonder why she and Gandalf are on the ground, reaching out to each other. I honestly doubt that this actual action be in the movie, though. I figure they just did a photo shoot and put it in the tapestry to add drama and hint at how they're fighting the darkness together and trying to help each other.

With Elrond, from a distance it does look like he's the jerk who came between them, lolTongue, but if you zoom in on him, you can see that he's actually looking off to the left, not at Galadriel and Gandalf. I notice that the smoke/dust and leaves seem to be blowing from that direction too, so maybe something wicked this way comes?Wink

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade"

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Sep 17 2014, 3:38pm

Post #68 of 202 (13781 views)
Shortcut
     One more thing... [In reply to]  

I always thought that quoting pictures within a post [using either the quotation marks or the 'Re:' tools] was generally frowned upon, too, for a couple reasons, but the most obvious one in these threads is the clutter factor. It can be really hard to follow conversations here when you have to visually sift through the many layers to find the new content with a lot of scrolling, especially for those reading in 'flat' mode. Editing out the pic content from your citations can really help with that, and might even gain you some thread participants. =)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

VValar
Gondor

Sep 17 2014, 5:53pm

Post #69 of 202 (13731 views)
Shortcut
     Oh woops sorry Daniel [In reply to]  

Lurker just informed me I didn't really paid close attention to the rules set for these images. I guess I got too excited and forgot to properly read the guidelines Angelic

Anyway, did you find at least one that was to your liking/according tot he guidelines?
If not, I'm happy to search for any that are Smile

(This post was edited by VValar on Sep 17 2014, 5:56pm)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Sep 17 2014, 6:04pm

Post #70 of 202 (13720 views)
Shortcut
     It's very interesting to compare them [In reply to]  

And Eruvandi, I believe you said somewhere recently that you were starting to see, in your reading, similarities between Thranduil and Thingol. So I started looking out for this too, and yes a few things are clear. Same race, silver hair, a load of pride, guarded borders n a hidden realm, gem-hunger (though lusting for a Silmaril is really just asking for it), a penchant for underground palaces, and an only child.

My thoughts exactly! You know, I was actually *this* close to starting a post with the very same title, but you beat me to it.Wink It's probably for the best because I had no idea where to start anyway!Smile

Re the Prologue referring to Thingol/the dwarves' quarrel: I had heard about that. I'm not sure I entirely understand it, but in this article, Mr. Michael Martinez does seem to be saying that the Elvenking in The Hobbit book was originally intended to allude to Thingol, but then Tolkien changed him to Thranduil later. When he did so, he made it so that we are actually being told about two Elvenkings, Thranduil and Thingol.

Michael's exact words:

"Here we are told about two Elf-kings, Thranduil and Thingol, but the segue between them is so vague that many readers are confused by it. John Rateliff discussed this conundrum at length in The History of the Hobbit and his summation of the problem works out to (in my own words) the Elven-king of The Hobbit is both King Thingol of Doriath and some lesser Elf-king. The hows and whys of that conclusion are too complicated to dwell upon here. Canonically (if I may use that word with respect to any of Tolkien’s stories) the Elven-king of the formally published texts is NOT Thingol of Doriath; hence, the anecdote in The Hobbit must be treated as two anecdotes.

In other words, Thranduil never fought a war with Dwarves so far as can be shown from the published Tolkien texts. In a pre-publication conception where he was sort of Thingol it could be said that he did fight such a war (maybe). The Hobbit is definitely connected to The Silmarillion in terms of conception but Tolkien consciously separated the two stories at least by the time he prepared the book for publication, if not earlier.

But this leaves us with a jewel-loving Wood Elf king and I think that Peter Jackson and his collaborators wrote this confusing background tale into the film’s story arc as succinctly as possible. Bilbo’s narrative does not agree with the published texts because the Jackson writing team was elaborating on minor elements of the book, creating a conflict that would work within the story they wanted to tell."

With all that in mind, it seems to me that PJ and co. are actually aware of this and are intentionally making allusions to Thingol in their design for Thranduil. For example, in the book, it is specifically stated that Thranduil has golden hair, but in the movie his hair is more silver, just like Thingol's hair. Also, let me do a little comparison between some of Thranduil's lines during the "One king to another" scene and some things that Thingol and Beren say to each other in chapter 19 of the Silm.

In the movie, Thranduil says to Thorin, in reference to the Arkenstone:

"It is precious to you beyond measure. [..] There are gems within the mountain that I too desire."

Now, in chapter 19 of the Silm, Thingol interrogates Beren, IMO, very similarly to how Thorin gets interrogated by Thranduil in the movie: Guards take him forcibly out of the forest and bring him before the King so that the King can ask him, what in the name of Eru is he doing in his realm? After he regains his courage, Beren responds:

"My fate, O King, led me hither, through perils such as few even of the Elves would dare. And here I have found what I sought not indeed, but finding I would possess for ever. For it [Luthien] is above all gold and silver, and beyond all jewels. Neither rock, nor steel, nor the fires of Morgoth, nor all the powers of the Elf-kingdoms, shall keep from me the treasure that I desire."

Sounds an awful lot like Luthien is "precious to him beyond measure", does it not? Admittedly, Beren and Luthien's thing for each other is much more romantic than Thorin's thing for the Arkenstone, but still...Tongue

Then, a little while later, Thingol responds:

"See now! I too desire a treasure that is withheld."

Now that sounds familiar! "I too desire a treasure [silmarills] that is withheld."..."There are gems within the mountain that I too desire."

I hope I'm making sense because I know these connections are pretty vague, but if PJ really is making allusions to the Silm, they would have to be vague since he doesn't have the rights to the Silm. Either way, IMO, there are too many connections between movie-Thranduil and Thingol for it to be entirely coincidental.

What do you all think?

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade"

VValar
Gondor

Sep 17 2014, 6:08pm

Post #71 of 202 (13727 views)
Shortcut
     Yeah got carried away [In reply to]  

Angelic

Promotional image (with The Cape Heart)
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/...il+Swishing+Cape.jpg

https://belikewaterproduction.files.wordpress.com/...e-pace-thranduil.jpg

Screencap
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/...e-pace-1920x1080.jpg

https://atolkienistperspective.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/thranduil.jpg

Better? Shocked

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Sep 17 2014, 6:12pm

Post #72 of 202 (13714 views)
Shortcut
     Don't forget me! [In reply to]  

It's my maiden read too, after all.Wink

I agree, it is very exciting and I'm loving the feeling of discovering something new. I can't get enough!Cool

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade"

VValar
Gondor

Sep 17 2014, 6:14pm

Post #73 of 202 (13743 views)
Shortcut
     Countdown [In reply to]  

In Reply To
I'm quietly hopeful the in-movie extensions give us mwoar Thranduil as well.Evil

Only two more months....

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Sep 17 2014, 6:56pm

Post #74 of 202 (13715 views)
Shortcut
     I hadn't noticed that! [In reply to]  

Am still chuffed to realise Thranduil's sword is drawn!Heart

Until you said it I hadn't noticed that Thranduil's sword is drawn! Wow! I wonder if he was about to charge into battle or something?Shocked

Oh the bigger surprise is how long we continued to roll after tipping. Too bad we missed another chance to make a run for 250 posts Frown

Well, IIRC, the very first Thranduil appreciation thread actually got to 400 posts before the Mods realized just how obsessive we all really are.Tongue I think that one more than made up for the lack of 250-post-threads now. Still, we can always try.Smile

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade"

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Sep 17 2014, 7:02pm

Post #75 of 202 (13703 views)
Shortcut
     Ikr? [In reply to]  

Wha.. what...wait! That tipped faster than an elven blade - I'm still wading happily through a plethora of WW links! Still, better a Thrandy overload than... not. Wink

I was trying to read the posts in the TAXII thread from top to bottom in threaded mode, but I don't think I was much more than halfway down the page when it tipped. I'd like to keep up a little better this time around!

(someone threw a stone bounced off Babba's antler, and he's like "now cut that out!") Tongue

Perfect description!Wink

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade"

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.