Hobbit Battle of the Five Armies Exclusive Tapestry Revealed
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 16 2014, 7:02am

Post #51 of 80 (1069 views)
Shortcut
I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

... they go for a surprise with Beorn for the non-readers and therefore won't spoil him being present at the battle.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 16 2014, 7:16am

Post #52 of 80 (1134 views)
Shortcut
Geeky OBSERVATION! Over Leggy's Shoulder? [In reply to] Can't Post

BATS Leaving Mount Gundabad!

Betcha Dollars for Donuts!
Bomby is RIGHT.........

Seems to be
Some
Sorta Castle?

Yippie
Mount Gundabad!

bom
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Glorfindela
Valinor

Sep 16 2014, 8:22am

Post #53 of 80 (1032 views)
Shortcut
Completely agree with this. [In reply to] Can't Post

And in passing, Thorin's hair looks magnificent in these pictures…

In Reply To
And Beorn needs to be, in his way, as wonderful as Smaug, the eagles, spiders, and Gollum - bet PJ & co. are going over every centimeter of frame with Beorn with a huge magnifying glass!

PS. Agree Thorin looks fantastic!

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2014, 8:49am

Post #54 of 80 (1005 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for that! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2014, 8:54am

Post #55 of 80 (1043 views)
Shortcut
On AUJ´S EE map mount Gundabad looks like that [In reply to] Can't Post

Three headed mountain, so I was thinking the same, I think that it could be very well mount Gundabad

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2014, 11:11am

Post #56 of 80 (1017 views)
Shortcut
Elizabeth! [In reply to] Can't Post

*whispers* A helmet would cover Thorin's hair!! Pirate

WinkLaugh

But Fili and Kili need them, yep.

In Reply To

"if I was going to drive the Necromancer out of
Dol Guldur, I think I would have found something more practical to wear than the
fluffy white gown I wore to the Council. And I'd have left my little tiara at
home."

Unless you're going to sing the walls of Dol Guldur down, a la Luthien...

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 16 2014, 11:58am

Post #57 of 80 (995 views)
Shortcut
badasses don't wear helmets [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL re the WETA books and developing Azog, the more invincible warriors trotted into battle pretty bare, because this would strike terror into the enemy.Cool

And I imagine that Thorin, Fili, and Kili are terrifying as they produce feelings of inadequacy WinkCoolTongue.
No point in dimming the GLORY of it all.HeartHeartHeart

Hó , Það sé ég föður minn
Hó , Það sé ég móður mína, og Hó, Það sé ég bræður mínir og systur mínar
Hó , Það sé ég mitt fólk aftur í byrjun
Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar
Hvar hugrakkir mun lifa að eilífu

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 16 2014, 12:30pm

Post #58 of 80 (996 views)
Shortcut
It seems the hair and hunks of Middle-earth mania spreads to all threads now... [In reply to] Can't Post

CrazyWink

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Faleel
Rohan

Sep 16 2014, 2:02pm

Post #59 of 80 (945 views)
Shortcut
It does not look like it to me. [In reply to] Can't Post

It doesn't look anything like Mount Gundabad IMHO:

Bishop
Gondor

Sep 16 2014, 2:13pm

Post #60 of 80 (943 views)
Shortcut
Thorin' hair is the real star here [In reply to] Can't Post

But I will admit they did nail Taurial's face on face action. And it's cool that they left it a mystery whether or not Bilbo will survive the battle and make it home.

Noria
Gondor

Sep 16 2014, 2:18pm

Post #61 of 80 (937 views)
Shortcut
Thank you DarkHunter and welcome to the forum. [In reply to] Can't Post

Beautiful. I don't care if some of the photoshopping is poor, it's great to catch these glimpses of THOTFA.

All three of the Heirs of Durin look fabulous. It's nice to see Fili, one of my favourites, featured for once.

Galadriel and Gandalf are intriguing. Saruman and Elrond will be at Dol Guldur. Yay!

Thorin slumped on the throne, Bard facing Smaug, Thranduil on his elk, Dwarves on battle rams, a beat-up Tauriel. Legolas looking like Legolas and Bilbo standing around pretending he doesn't have the Arkenstone.Wink

Now is the time for me to start looking forward to the movie's release.

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Sep 16 2014, 2:27pm

Post #62 of 80 (931 views)
Shortcut
At last we have something new! [In reply to] Can't Post

My favourites are (from left):
- Thorin brooding on the throne
- the war Moose
-and Fili standing next to Thorin, as a real heir, not a mere side-kick on the background.

Oh yes and the hair is majestic...Angelic

Faleel
Rohan

Sep 16 2014, 2:32pm

Post #63 of 80 (940 views)
Shortcut
Alright guys here is my version of combining all three. [In reply to] Can't Post

https://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss209/fishmanlee_2009/HAUJ-HDOS-HBOTFAwbeorn_zps9eda239f.png

(This post was edited by Faleel on Sep 16 2014, 2:33pm)

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 16 2014, 3:26pm

Post #64 of 80 (945 views)
Shortcut
Fire Storm at the end of the battle! [In reply to] Can't Post

The entire battle is literally on fire around Gandalf and Bilbo at the very end. For me, this is the subtle yet obvious* nail in the coffin confirming that Necro-Smaug will not only be included but will be a major part in the climax of the film.

There are other options though, I admit. This fire presence means one of three things:

1. They thought it looked cool to add fire to the battle, and it really means nothing as to the nature of the plot. (I do not believe this is true, but it is highly possible, just as they enlarged Smaug's eye on the last scroll to make it more threatening.)
2. Sauron comes himself but doesn't necessarily take up Smaug's body, he just kind of spreads his presence around the battle making his troops surrounded with flame. (I highly doubt this. It would be random and strange, albeit sort of cool looking.)
3. Smaug's dead body is taken up by the Necromancer, and wreaks havoc and fire on the battle. This has been supported by very many little slips and clues from actors and directly from the screen-writers in the films. First there was the clue of Sauron being present at BOTFA from Benedict Cumberbatch. Then in the films there is the ongoing theme that Sauron wants to use Smaug: "If he were to side with the enemy..." "Your world will burn." "He plans to unleash a weapon so powerful none can withstand it." "The flames of war are upon you." And there are more but those are some off the top of my head.

Take your pick. Option 3 seems most likely to me.

EDIT: * subtle as in if you weren't expecting Necro-Smaug, the flames would mean nothing to you. Obvious as in if they were going to hint at Smaug and Sauron's presence in the battle at all, it would be with many flames.

"I've found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I’m afraid, and he gives me courage.” - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir, if ever you should need my help, I will come." - Lady Galadriel.

(This post was edited by burgahobbit on Sep 16 2014, 3:28pm)

Faleel
Rohan

Sep 16 2014, 3:30pm

Post #65 of 80 (911 views)
Shortcut
Or [In reply to] Can't Post

Or perhaps the Orcs have flaming fireball launchers. like in ROTK.

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 16 2014, 3:38pm

Post #66 of 80 (911 views)
Shortcut
Possible [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely possible. However I think there are far too many flames enveloping the battle for it to be something like that. Still, it could be a combination of your suggestion and option 1. That is, since there are some flames and flaming weapons in the actual battle, the makers of the scroll decided it would look cool to give that flame a more commanding presence in the scroll.

I'm still sticking with option 3 though. Tongue

"I've found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I’m afraid, and he gives me courage.” - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir, if ever you should need my help, I will come." - Lady Galadriel.

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 16 2014, 3:46pm

Post #67 of 80 (895 views)
Shortcut
Iron Hills for sure! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a flock of Ravens flying in front of the Iron Hills, or I'd be shocked.

Faleel
Rohan

Sep 16 2014, 3:47pm

Post #68 of 80 (905 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

The flaming fireballs could catch things afire, for instance tents, clothing, etc.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 16 2014, 4:54pm

Post #69 of 80 (871 views)
Shortcut
BRING "EM ON! There are LOADS of Geeky Observations! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Battle of Five Armies Geeky Observations List is officially started!!

(and yes... I'm leaving off "the" a'purpose ;)

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Sep 16 2014, 4:57pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 16 2014, 5:00pm

Post #70 of 80 (876 views)
Shortcut
Tisn't obvious to me..... [In reply to] Can't Post

We've already had a lot of fire at the end of AUJ, without Smaug or Sauron. It was Gandalf wot dunnit - because fire was the most effective means of fighting wargs off. And there will be wargs in the battle - no? So that's one possibility.

As has already been mentioned, orcs with burning missles is another. 'Your world will burn' doesn't necessarily mean Smaug - and it's a particularly threatening thing to say to someone who lives in a forest.

What else - Balrog? In fact, when you think about it, the idea of fire is woven through these stories, book and film to such an extent that I don't think the appearance of it in the banner is anything remarkable. Think back to Merry and 'The fires of Isengard will spread and the woods of Tuckborough and Buckland will burn....'

My guess is that whoever designed the poster was balancing the fire on the left with some on the right - just a design thing. It's not a Smaug reference - you only have to look to the right of the banner to see how much fire you get when he's around!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 16 2014, 5:23pm

Post #71 of 80 (850 views)
Shortcut
I saw that on FB too and loved it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Though to be fair, Elrond is wearing his tiara too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Sep 16 2014, 6:42pm

Post #72 of 80 (818 views)
Shortcut
Glory, shmory, look how they all ended up! // [In reply to] Can't Post

FrogmortonJustice65
Lorien

Sep 16 2014, 8:45pm

Post #73 of 80 (785 views)
Shortcut
has anyone made a super-tapestry [In reply to] Can't Post

that combines all three tapestries, from AUJ, DOS, and BOFA? That would be cool to look at.

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

Faleel
Rohan

Sep 16 2014, 8:51pm

Post #74 of 80 (788 views)
Shortcut
Right Here! [In reply to] Can't Post

I did:

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss209/fishmanlee_2009/HAUJ-HDOS-HBOTFAwbeorn_zps9eda239f.png

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Sep 17 2014, 12:11am

Post #75 of 80 (749 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure I would find that evidence very convincing. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Cumberbatch quote was from an interview in 2010, some considerable time before substantially engaging with the production and was clearly rather muddled:

"I’m playing Smaug through motion-capture and voicing the Necromancer, which is a character in the Five Legions War or something which I’m meant to understand. (Laughs) He’s not actually in the original Hobbit. It’s something he’s taken from Lord Of The Rings that he wants to put in there."

Confused though this is, if anything, it's implication is rather against Smaug being present at the Battle. However, I would more generally say it is probably just not firm enough to set much store by.

It is also rather contradicted by several quotes by Boyens, who refers to the story of the final film as being partitioned e.g. "the dragon is a huge, wonderful, amazing part of the story, but it doesn't end there. Everyone can expect there is a rather large battle in film three"

I think the quotes from within the screenplay are to me no different that the quotes we heard about Saruman or Sauron in LOTR. These are dire predictions of what will happen if they are not defeated but not prophesies which must come true whether from beyond the grave or no. Sauron didn't actually "cover all the lands in a second darkness" , the world didn't actually "burn in the fires of industry" and there was a "dawn for men" after Helm's Deep.

None of this is proof either way but it think I find a Necro-Smaug most unlikely on narrative grounds. How could he be disposed of and by whom? Thorin is clearly being drawn inexorably into a final conflict with Azog, so not him. Bilbo? Gandalf? Where is the storyline to support that as a final conflict? I don think I can picture how it would fit with any of the story flows, personally.

(This post was edited by Spriggan on Sep 17 2014, 12:13am)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.