Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 16 2014, 1:42pm

Post #26 of 202 (11970 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil's sword: LP loves it too [In reply to]  

Some appreciationHeartHeartHeart

That's one heck of a LONG sword.

Fan of both books and movies; I am a lurker by nature though it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Thranduil Appreciation
Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XIII

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!. (A writing triangle with Avandel and Kerewyn)
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Sep 16 2014, 1:43pm)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 16 2014, 1:45pm

Post #27 of 202 (11983 views)
Shortcut
     ooh ooh... [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Feanor's cunning sons are pretty much rocking my world at the moment. I know I should be rooting for the heroes - and I am - but they just bring the conflict, which makes the excitement. I'm up to Celegorm and Curufin wrangling fatally with Beren. OMG. Shocked

familial bickering! Can't wait till I get there SmileTongueEvilCrazy

In Reply To
Am so relishing reading all this for the first time. Smile

And you have the marvellous images in the book to appreciate too. *envious*

Fan of both books and movies; I am a lurker by nature though it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XIII

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!. (A writing triangle with Avandel and Kerewyn)
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 16 2014, 1:56pm

Post #28 of 202 (11971 views)
Shortcut
     *Squee* choice bits about the DOS EE! [In reply to]  

According to this post in the discussion on this thread, extras include:
  • In The Halls Of The ElvenKing - The Woodland Realm- September 2011 (29:50)
  • Mirkwood Forest (15:00)
  • The Woodland Realm (20:00)

I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 16 2014, 2:11pm

Post #29 of 202 (11943 views)
Shortcut
     Randomness: The One Drink That Is Not Allowed at The Elvenking's board [In reply to]  

Brings to mind: "The letters are Elvish, of an ancient mode, but the language is
that of Mordor, which I will not utter here" - Gandalf, FotR

=======

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 16 2014, 2:14pm

Post #30 of 202 (11943 views)
Shortcut
     Since you all have the images at the click of a button ... [In reply to]  

Are there any particular favourite images that you'd like to see in the ring motifs? They'd have to only be official screencaps, behind the scenes shots, or promotional images (no manipulated images or fan art, to keep with the theme of the ones we already have).

I can make them really easily. It might be fun to set up a thread on the Pollantir for people to vote.

Let me check with the PTB first too. Smile

ltnjmy
Rivendell

Sep 16 2014, 5:31pm

Post #31 of 202 (11917 views)
Shortcut
     Consummate Thrall LTNJMY Says Horrah for New Thread & Great New Pics ! [In reply to]  

Thanks, I always need my - at least weekly - dose of his Sassiness.Wink

ltnjmy
Rivendell

Sep 16 2014, 5:42pm

Post #32 of 202 (11937 views)
Shortcut
     I envy you both Lurker and Kerewyn reading Silm for the first time [In reply to]  

- but you both will LOVE it all the way til the end and re-read it endless times as I have done. (CoolOropher and Thranduil were of the Sindar - subjects of Thingol, father of Luthien Smile)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2014, 6:22pm

Post #33 of 202 (11909 views)
Shortcut
     Lucky 13! [In reply to]  

Well, this thread is certainly off to a good start! Hopefully my assignment load will lighten up soon so I can actually participate.Unsure

Anyway, that Botfa banner is pretty great isn't it? Good to see Bubba, or at least a descendent of Bubba is back!Angelic Gah! I can't wait for this movie!Laugh

"Home is behind the world ahead
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade"

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Sep 16 2014, 6:28pm

Post #34 of 202 (11964 views)
Shortcut
     Wheeeee! [In reply to]  

According to this post in the discussion on this thread, extras include:
  • In The Halls Of The ElvenKing - The Woodland Realm- September 2011 (29:50)
  • Mirkwood Forest (15:00)
  • The Woodland Realm (20:00)

*bouncing up and down* I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait...*gasps for breath* I CAN'T WAIT!!!

"Home is behind the world ahead
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade"

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 16 2014, 7:37pm

Post #35 of 202 (11893 views)
Shortcut
     -----> Please be sure to conform to TORn's picture posting guidelines! [In reply to]  

Hi all,

The Admins have been noticing that some of the pictures posted in these threads are larger than our guidelines request. Please review the picture posting guidelines below (also in the FAQ on the Welcome board) and adjust your pictures accordingly. If you need help figuring out how to do that, please refer to Magpie's picture posting tutorial (link in the blurb below).

We mostly have these guidelines to conserve server space (imagine all the pictures that have been posted over the last seven years!), but it also keeps people's screens from stretching to be too big to even see entire pictures that are posted. Unfortunately, we'll have to start deleting pictures that are too large. If you have a high res pic that just begs to be seen in a larger size, post a link to it!

Thanks! Smile

The specific guidelines for posting pictures within the message body of your post are as follows: the maximum size of any picture posted should be 525 wide x 400 pixels high (or a better measure is: 210,000 pixels squared - width x height), but no wider than 670 pixels. The maximum file size per picture should be 45k. The cumulative file size of all pictures in one post should not exceed 225k (5 pictures of the maximum filesize of 45k, 10 pictures of a filesize of 22.5k, etc.). These guidelnes apply to pictures hosted on other sites as well as to pictures posted as attachments to your post. For more detailed help on posting within a message body, check out Magpie's step-by-step TORn Image Posting Guide.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

VValar
Gondor

Sep 16 2014, 8:15pm

Post #36 of 202 (11942 views)
Shortcut
     About the Elk [In reply to]  

In Reply To
On an amused note re your LOL cartoon - at first sight, I misread it and thought he was saying "I'm going to do Valinor".
As in "I'm going to do lunch." Sly

Lol, I can already see that happening. Did you notice his Elk in front of his paddle boat? That animal never leaves his side it seems in these type of images, I guess Thranduil is very fond of it.
Heart

I think his Elk (Bubba was his name, right? Evil) looks absolutely fabulous. At first I wasn't sure if an Elk would work because it's not your typical war-animal. I'm still not sure if he would use Bubba in actual battle, an Elk is not nearly as comfortable and agile as a horse. But it does make for an impressive entrance and I guess it makes for a good travel companion.

It's good to hear you're all so very serious with your Silm reading. That's a very good thing for I'll be able to ask you any Silm-related/history questions without having to dust off my own copy of the book Wink I'm going to read it myself though, maybe I'll even start next week.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 16 2014, 8:26pm

Post #37 of 202 (11912 views)
Shortcut
     Ha! Great! // [In reply to]  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

VValar
Gondor

Sep 16 2014, 9:04pm

Post #38 of 202 (11926 views)
Shortcut
     All sorts of things [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Looks so to meHeart he's got the best teacher after all.Angelic And I thought you might liked the father and son comboSmile

You know I've never paid close attention to see if Legolas uses the reverse grip on his blades. I might have to rewatch all of his fighting scenes from LOTR and DOS to find out. But it would make sense he is able to use this technique for the reason you just stated: he has the best teacher in all of ME! And I'm sure Thranduil would have learned his son a trick or two on how to -stylishly- smash and hack any Orc in two.
You were also right about the appreciating of the father/son combo, thanks for putting that up Heart It's funny that in his surprised look, Thranduil resembles Legolas more than I have seen him in any other picture imo. It's that face he's making, I've seen Leggy make that same face a couple of times throughout the films.

Oh and of course I'm really liking the OP picture of Thranduil including the quote. I like reading passages concerning the Elvenking from TH very much since they're alll new to me. It is a really good way to start number 13 Smile (and I like that it's the first image I see when I click on the thread).

Hmm about the MAAD... I know what you mean. It is a clever find but somehow it's missing that nice ring to it Unsure We'll need to invent another witty name for the not-so-loving relationship the Dwarves and Elves have developed with each other. Btw, have you read about the Dwarves and Thingol in the Silm?

In Reply To
And... oooh! Look, he's got his sword drawn!HeartHeartHeart

Had not yet seen it Heart!
Is he preparing for an attack when he hears the commotion behind him?

In Reply To
Yeah, she looks odd. Actually, that star-crossed lovers reaching across an impossible chasm vibe of Ganddy and Glady isn't impressing me either. Elrond standing there looking all justified just makes him look like the jerk who came between them.CrazyTongue

Yep, too bad they did such a poor job on her. Ah well, it's a good thing they didn't mess up the Mirkwood Royals, they don't need a whole lot of photoshopping. Their natural beauty should not be tempered with HeartMad
I do like the Galadriel/Gandalf image, unlike you Tongue I'm not getting a awkward lovers-type of-feel with the two of them, more like a very affectionative relationship between two dear friends. I think Galadriel is very happy with Celeborn, who is awesome and who keeps her in check Evil I think (hope) the Dol Guldur scene is going to rock, not only visually but also emotionally. The only thing I do find awkward is Elrond and Saruman just standing there looking lame in de background lol. e

VValar
Gondor

Sep 16 2014, 9:14pm

Post #39 of 202 (11885 views)
Shortcut
     Ahhh loving the FEASTING [In reply to]  

Loving the FEASTING (Flustered Elrond And Sassy Thranduil, Including Not-impressed Galadriel). Lol it's amazing how you come up with such things Tongue I already know a FEAST (The First European Air Traffic Controller Selection Test) but since that's so totally different from anything Sassy Thranduil related, I'm sure I won't mix them up. Yeey we've got another one for the Lexicon!

In that light, how do you like these?
(Oh and I was too lazy to resize them so they're clicky's)
(And it doesn't really involve a very flustered Elrond or a not so impressed Galadriel, but Thranduil is as Sassy as ever and well, I thought these images might fit the FEASTING description) Tell me what you think!

http://25.media.tumblr.com/...C0U1r38rxfo2_500.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/...0U1r38rxfo3_1280.jpg

VValar
Gondor

Sep 16 2014, 9:20pm

Post #40 of 202 (11914 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil's amazing sword [In reply to]  

Cool, thanks for sharing that info!
Dang I didn't know the sword was THAT long. But he has two right? Two badass swords to rock BOFA with Heart The excitement I have for these swords is barely contained!!

VValar
Gondor

Sep 16 2014, 9:30pm

Post #41 of 202 (11905 views)
Shortcut
     Artist at work with that cup of coffee [In reply to]  

I wonder how long it took the person to do that cup of coffee.

Sharing some Thranduil piccies

Don't think this is Thranduil, might be Legolas? Anyway, I think it's cool

This somehow reminds me of a younger prince Thranduil

VValar
Gondor

Sep 16 2014, 9:52pm

Post #42 of 202 (11891 views)
Shortcut
     Be careful what you wish for [In reply to]  

Oooooh let's see Heart

I'm sure my fellow Thralls have their preferences as well. I hope they can add their favourite images in reply to your post. Smile

How about this recent released image?
https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/...68574523897374_o.jpg

Some of my other fav's
http://s3.photobucket.com/...html?sort=3&o=78
http://images6.fanpop.com/...36074091-612-380.jpg
http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/...olation-of-smaug.jpg (Big clicky, HTR alert!)
http://image.blingee.com/...782336244_618816.gif
Oh wait, that's not an official promo Angelic

(Oh and we likes these of Legolas as well Heart)
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/...lasandBardTBOT5A.jpg
http://www.joblo.com/...m-legolas-empire.jpg
http://s3.photobucket.com/...html?sort=3&o=80

Do I need to go on? Angelic

VValar
Gondor

Sep 16 2014, 9:56pm

Post #43 of 202 (11879 views)
Shortcut
     Welcome to #13 [In reply to]  

And yes that banner is pretty awesome Heart
Especially the part with Thrandy + Bubba and his army, already looking epic.
Legolas isn't looking too bad either Wink
Overall I like the entire banner. Smaug looks fierce, Thorin looks amazing (dark mood), as well as all the other characters. Except (and you might already have noticed this) I think they could've done a whole lot better with Tauriel in the photoshopping department. She looks better in the film or IRL than on that banner.

Good luck on your assignment!

(This post was edited by VValar on Sep 16 2014, 9:57pm)

vanima ephel
Rivendell

Sep 16 2014, 10:12pm

Post #44 of 202 (11860 views)
Shortcut
     eek! [In reply to]  

Thanks for bringing a bit of that thread here. (I need the assistance!) But Don't rely on me for actual knowledge. Tongue I tend to remember just enough of what I've read to be dangerous. Almost anything I say online is all just my opinion of the fragments that Christopher Tolkien has doled out to drive us all crazy, and as I'm also taking the movieverse into consideration, my opinion might change drastically after viewing The Battle Of The Five Armies (or even the DoS:EE).

And now I'm going to copypasta your well-reasoned reply to me, along with my irrational response:

So yes, I agree Thranduil will be King of the Elves in ME. For a very long time. But I imagine also that, being lesser elves, the

Sylvan's hroar would be consumed faster than Thranduil's would be. And being lesser in being, their houseless fear may not be capable of

cogent thoughts for ever. At some point, all that may be left of the Sylvan are half-conscious disembodied spirits, like the Huorns and

ancients sentient trees the Ents shepherded. At that point, Thranduil, who I believe would stay in ME regardless of hell or high water

because of his love and sense of responsibility for his subjects, will see that there's no need and no one to keep him in ME. He really

doesn't strike me as the type to accept or be satisfied with the fate of ultimately being just a diminished version of himself, a

wandering forgetful spirit just roaming ME until the end of days.

I don't know if fear lose cognizance (or if being younger/lesser would make Sylvan hroar burn up more quickly or make Sylvan

fear more prone to that kind of degradation) but I do remember that fear who refuse the call to Mandos were all supposed to be a bit

evil, something I equate with "less wise and more dangerous" ;-) And I'm not convinced that any of the elves would lose their purpose,

even if they did lose their hroar. I picture them whooping it up at starlight festivals in perpetuity.

And also, with the advent of Man, forests will diminish. It is sad, but I believe at some point beyond TA, there may not be any forests

large enough for the Woodland Realm to endure within ME at all. Thranduil may end up moving his people out to somewhere like that little

islet in the Bay of Balar just for peace's sake. In fact, I'd think they'd have to move a few times. He may also get more Elves as time

passes since the other Eldar would all depart at some point, including Galadriel and Celeborn. At some point, Thranduil and his folks

might be bunking in with Elrond or the twins. (OT: Hmm... would Arwen be in tow as well? Could get mighty crowded eh?)

There are still places in the world today where you can get Lost In The Wilderness, but I don't think the elves would need an

excess of woods. They are patient and crafty, they certainly know how to hide from beings who aren't looking for them. (Only the Very

Unlucky would actually stumble across them. Those are the kind of Elves Tolkien loved to read tales of.) (OT: I wish we knew what the

twins would be like in the movieverse. I've always picture them being a bit like Fred and George Weasley.)

Lastly, I feel that Thranduil will feel the tug for family, especially as his people dwindled. And he might want to spend time with the

clan when he gets to the West rather than arrive there dead and languishing in the Halls of Mandos waiting his turn for re-embodiment

(may be getting it wrong here but I think that's the deal with Mandos' pad). I think it's safe to say he's the one Elf who doesn't leave

things to chance if he had any say in the matter. He wants things done on his terms. So when the above happens, I'd think he would make

the Journey. There may be a fellow Sindar or two who have been with him since the beginning of Greenwood. But I also do not see a grand

procession. He has no need for pomp at this point and there's just not enough participants anyway. And who knows, he may just make a

return trip to ME after cooling his heels in the West for a couple of Ages. It's been done before. Smile

Yeah, I'm pretty sure a bodily death earns you a seat in the waiting room that is Mandos. I'm also pretty sure that the loss of

hoar would initiate a call, and once you've passed on it, you lose that seat in the waiting room that is Mandos. And I think an Elf can

only be reincarnated if there's an Elven baby being born on Arda. (Not likely if only fear are left on Arda.) But I'm not sure that

Thranduil would be worried about family if he knew they were safely tucked away in Valinor. (And I want to believe my Elvenking is in

the wood in my backyard, so... Tongue)

*pauses* Well, I'm still shaky on Elvenlore so the above could all be untenable crap. But yeah, that's what I think.Smile

Ditto! Though I'm hunting down some of the quotes I think I remember. I'm pretty sure most of them came out of Morgoth's Ring:

The Later Silmarillion Part One
(aka: The History of Middle-Earth Volume X) and The Peoples of Middle-Earth (aka: The History of

Middle-Earth Volume XII
).

"I dissent, even at the risk of being held incorrect or not sober."

Kerewyn
Rohan

Sep 16 2014, 10:23pm

Post #45 of 202 (11892 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil and Thingol [In reply to]  

Btw, have you read about the Dwarves and Thingol in the Silm?

And Eruvandi, I believe you said somewhere recently that you were starting to see, in your reading, similarities between Thranduil and Thingol. So I started looking out for this too, and yes a few things are clear. Same race, silver hair, a load of pride, guarded borders n a hidden realm, gem-hunger (though lusting for a Silmaril is really just asking for it), a penchant for underground palaces, and an only child.

I wondered if, in creating his palace along the lines of Menegroth, Thranduil was (consciously or subconsciously) following an instinct set by the great Sindarin king, Then I came across the handy Ask Middle Earth post on this topic (under the Gems of Pure Starlight heading, and also right at end of page.

What surprised me here too was that the Prologue sequence may actually refer to the quarrel between Thingol and the Dwarves re Nauglamir treasure. I did not know that / did not perceive it when reading.

"Thou speakest of thralldom. If thralldom it be, thou canst not escape it..."

Kerewyn
Rohan

Sep 16 2014, 10:26pm

Post #46 of 202 (11876 views)
Shortcut
     psst though [In reply to]  

(it was in the last TAXII which had tipped, so I couldn't reply! )

And...
I am overjoyed about these extended scenes.Heart I knew it! SmileSmile

"Thou speakest of thralldom. If thralldom it be, thou canst not escape it..."

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Sep 16 2014, 10:30pm)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 17 2014, 1:25am

Post #47 of 202 (11880 views)
Shortcut
     LoL VValar... you're not minding the rules DanielB laid out [In reply to]  

DoS only, and must be official still or BTS... I like the two movie still you provided. But then I like every frame of ThranduilAngelic

le classic Thranduil image forever more eh? Heart http://images6.fanpop.com/...36074091-612-380.jpg
Delish!http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/...olation-of-smaug.jpg

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 17 2014, 1:30am

Post #48 of 202 (11843 views)
Shortcut
     *waves* Purrs and headbutts for the sassy one in your avatar =) [In reply to]  

Glad you could join in again.Smile Have a Sassy Pie of Thranduil! Sly

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Sep 17 2014, 1:30am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 17 2014, 1:38am

Post #49 of 202 (11864 views)
Shortcut
     And we loves it [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Well, this thread is certainly off to a good start!

The last ones, at times felt like there's just VValar and me, ya'knowCrazy

In Reply To
Hopefully my assignment load will lighten up soon so I can actually participate.Unsure

Crossed fingers!

Thranduil commiserates

In Reply To
Anyway, that Botfa banner is pretty great isn't it? Good to see Bubba, or at least a descendent of Bubba is back!Angelic Gah! I can't wait for this movie!Laugh

Wasn't there a quote from LP saying the most difficult stunt he ever did was stay on his elk in TH?Laugh I'm hoping there's a BTS showing how they made Moose into Bubba, and I wanna see LP/Thranduill offscreen interaction with Moose!Heart

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 17 2014, 1:39am

Post #50 of 202 (11877 views)
Shortcut
     Heh [In reply to]  

I'm quietly hopeful the in-movie extensions give us mwoar Thranduil as well.Evil

=======

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.